Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boswell needs to be cut by morning

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Boswell needs to be cut by morning

He is not going to figure this out. Kicking is mostly mental, and his confidence is shattered. I said he would cost us a game and he has likely cost us 2 wins already. Cleveland and Today. You could also give him a solid assist on the Chargers loss as his missed extra point left it a 2 score game and the Chargers capitalized with 2 2-point conversions to tie and then take the lead.
    He is 10 for 16 on FG's or 62.5%. All 6 misses were between 39-49 yards, only 2 of his makes are over 42 yards (48 and 50). He hasn't attempted anything over 50 all season.
    He is 39 of 44 on Xtra's or 88.6%. He also doinked the upright today, but it went through. NFL avg. is 93.6% this year, which is an all time low.
    We gave him a new contract last year and he is making $4.2M this year, which ranks him 3rd. This puts him near Gostkowski and slightly above Tucker. Half the kickers in the league make less than $2M.
    I'm no expert at the cap, but it looks like we spread his bonus out, which means we will likely take a few $M hit.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Re: Boswell needs to be cut by morning

Not going to happen. Nothing is wrong with him. He has only missed one field since week 3 and the 'block' today was because of a shit field. The equipment manager never adjusted cleats for the crappiness of the field. Switzer clearly slipped twice because of it.

Get off his jock and find another scapegoat.

Like Butler. Now there is someone that clearly needs to be shown the door.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

If we had Justin Tucker we would still find a multitude of ways to lose football games. This team is unable to coach or play 60 minutes of football. I mean we have the best oline, top RB, top WR &QB and it’s Boz?

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Weird.

The way he kicked for us to earn the big contract to what we see now.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Boswell will cost between 5-7 million in dead cap to cut.

So that likely means he’s the kicker until 2020.

Good times.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Boswell will cost between 5-7 million in dead cap to cut.

So that likely means he’s the kicker until 2020.

Good times.
    FWIW I was very happy to get a Boz deal done once Bell did not sign a long term deal

OTOH I did not see the bottom of the barrel ILB and safety FA signings solving those problems

In terms of dashed preseason expectations we could be Eagles fans

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I think Boz" took a dive" so he could blame turf. Its like a golfer with the shanks, it scary to hit next shot. What a difference a year makes.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    FWIW I was very happy to get a Boz deal done once Bell did not sign a long term deal

OTOH I did not see the bottom of the barrel ILB and safety FA signings solving those problems

In terms of dashed preseason expectations we could be Eagles fans
    To be fair, Burnett was universally regarded as the best FA safety on the market once Matthieu got signed.

He’s not healthy is the best I can tell. I’ve seen a lot of Burnett and if his body is right, he’s a far better player than this.

Bostic is exactly what he was advertised as. A capable run stuffing linebacker with limitations in coverage.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I think Boz" took a dive" so he could blame turf. Its like a golfer with the shanks, it scary to hit next shot. What a difference a year makes.
    Nonsense. He just slide on shitty turf. That's on the holder. Pick a better spot.

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Not going to happen. Nothing is wrong with him. He has only missed one field since week 3 and the 'block' today was because of a shit field. The equipment manager never adjusted cleats for the crappiness of the field. Switzer clearly slipped twice because of it.

what do you mean nothing is wrong with him? He's missed 3 FG's since week 3 and he missed one in each of the first 3 weeks.
    He's currently last in FG % and next to last in Xtra point %. He's the 3rd highest paid guy in the league. There were 2 other kickers with worse xtra point %'s, but they've both already been cut.
    The NFL usually comes down to one score games in a parity league. Just look at the point spreads and tell me how many are over 1 score. You have to have a kicker win them for you most weeks and he's cost us 2, maybe a 3rd already.
    Are there other problems? sure. But they are 9-4 or 10-3 with a reliable kicker. I'll stick with my current scapegoat for now.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Based on Tomlins press conference, it doesn’t sound good for Boz. He usually supports and backs Boz but today he just said it’s disappointing and didn’t really support him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

good. Did he address the Ben not playing decision? Interested to hear that.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Based on Tomlins press conference, it doesn’t sound good for Boz. He usually supports and backs Boz but today he just said it’s disappointing and didn’t really support him.
    Tomlin have any comments on the defense giving up 2 TDS in the last 6 minutes or Ben being well enough to play only after the defense gave up the lead?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    good. Did he address the Ben not playing decision? Interested to hear that.
    He did. He said he could’ve come in earlier but they were in the flow of the game.

A flow which was Punt, Out on Downs, Interception and Punt, HUGE positive flow...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Tomlin has plenty of scapegoats this year, problem is that won’t make the problem go away as we witness year after year. Sooner or later it will bite him where the sun doesn’t shine.

He did. He said he could’ve come in earlier but they were in the flow of the game.

A flow which was Punt, Out on Downs, Interception and Punt, HUGE positive flow...
    Thx

Guess AJRII can ask Tomlin about WTF sort of flow he saw on the flight home

Thx

Guess AJRII can ask Tomlin about WTF sort of flow he saw on the flight home
    AJRII should have learned more about football from his father.

He really said that. With Ben standing on the sidelines and our offense unable to move the ball at all?
    We didn't score a point with Dobbs and in 4 drives they gained a total of 58 yards the entire 2nd half until Ben came back with 5 minutes left.
    Ben comes in and 70 yards and a TD, then 48 yards with 21 seconds left and a FG attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    AJRII should have learned more about football from his father.
    AJRII may have learned his father should have fired Chuck Noll 4 years before Noll retired

AJRII forced Arians out and may soon need to show being Steelers HC does not only end when the HC decides to quit

AJRII may have learned his father should have fired Chuck Noll 4 years before Noll retired

AJRII forced Arians out and may soon need to show being Steelers HC does not only end when the HC decides to quit
    After winning 4 SB I’d give Noll some rope too. AJRII doesn’t have jewels big enough to fire Tomlin. He fired Arians incognito.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

what do you mean nothing is wrong with him? He's missed 3 FG's since week 3 and he missed one in each of the first 3 weeks.
    He's currently last in FG % and next to last in Xtra point %. He's the 3rd highest paid guy in the league. There were 2 other kickers with worse xtra point %'s, but they've both already been cut.
    The NFL usually comes down to one score games in a parity league. Just look at the point spreads and tell me how many are over 1 score. You have to have a kicker win them for you most weeks and he's cost us 2, maybe a 3rd already.
    Are there other problems? sure. But they are 9-4 or 10-3 with a reliable kicker. I'll stick with my current scapegoat for now.
    That was my fault. I missed most of the first half for work and didn't get around to the box scores until just now. I did not realize he missed one earlier in the game.

I am not going to fault him for the slip though. I can't do that. The integrity of the field is not his responsibility.

The first 3 weeks of the season he was atrocious, which brings down his marks for the season. Since after week 3, he has been 22 of 24 on xp's, and only had the 1 fg miss until the 2 today.

Despite today, I still won't say he deserves to be cut. 3 years he has been solid which is why he got that contract. Minus the first 3 weeks and today he has also been fine.

I am going to go ahead and point fingers elsewhere. Like Butler, who has been a problem for 5 years.

Boswell needs to be cut by morning

Dudswell could be the scapegoat...where it should be Danny Smith and Keith Butler. If not Tomlin and his cute coaching tactics...sometimes he just buries himself...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    After winning 4 SB I’d give Noll some rope too. AJRII doesn’t have jewels big enough to fire Tomlin. He fired Arians incognito.
    No question Noll had a lot of goodwill in the bank - but he was done as a coach that could win a Lombardi bye the late 80s

Tomlin only has 1 and it was 10 years ago

At some point a career in one place winds down

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

That's a good flow to Tomlin

- - - Updated - - -

No question Noll had a lot of goodwill in the bank - but he was done as a coach that could win a Lombardi bye the late 80s

Tomlin only has 1 and it was 10 years ago

At some point a career in one place winds down
    No more Cowher players. Each time the Steelers lost a Cowher they got worse. When BR leaves it's over.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

You must not have watched the game because Boswell is the goat. But you are right that this team won't cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    No more Cowher players. Each time the Steelers lost a Cowher they got worse. When BR leaves it's over.

You do realize it took Cowher his entire career to win the SB, right? And, the only reason he won it is because he could ride a QB through the AFCCG he consistently choked in--a QB that was not a Cowher player because Cowher did not believe in QBs. The Owners forced him to draft Ben.

Oh, and we had several Cowher players leave in 2012 and thirteen, only for the Steelers to be 2 games away from the SB in 2015, 1 game away in 2016, and two games away in 2017, and this after we missed the playoffs for two years. So no, we didn't get worse. In fact, the team got much better. Or, don't you remember the 2009, 2011, and 2012-13 teams with all those Cowher players? I'd take last year's or the year before's team over those teams any day of the week.

Honestly, your hate for Tomlin is rising to comical levels. I fully expect that, if we lose Ben (the last Cowher player) and still win a SB, you'll post it's because we had Cowher's ownership and front office.
    Last edited by Craic; 12-11-2018 at 01:44 AM.

That was my fault. I missed most of the first half for work and didn't get around to the box scores until just now. I did not realize he missed one earlier in the game.

I am not going to fault him for the slip though. I can't do that. The integrity of the field is not his responsibility.

The first 3 weeks of the season he was atrocious, which brings down his marks for the season. Since after week 3, he has been 22 of 24 on xp's, and only had the 1 fg miss until the 2 today.

Despite today, I still won't say he deserves to be cut. 3 years he has been solid which is why he got that contract. Minus the first 3 weeks and today he has also been fine.

I am going to go ahead and point fingers elsewhere. Like Butler, who has been a problem for 5 years.
    since you missed his first FG miss, you may have missed his extra point that doinked off the upright and snuck through as well. He was shaky all day. Maybe it was the field, but I used to feel shocked when he missed, now I cringe when he trots out on the field because I expect him to miss and I think he does too.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

He really said that. With Ben standing on the sidelines and our offense unable to move the ball at all?
    We didn't score a point with Dobbs and in 4 drives they gained a total of 58 yards the entire 2nd half until Ben came back with 5 minutes left.
    Ben comes in and 70 yards and a TD, then 48 yards with 21 seconds left and a FG attempt.

But, but, but... Bench Ben! Put in Dobbs!

Wait... Oh, shit... WTF isn't Ben in there?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post

Wait... Oh, shit... WTF isn't Ben in there?
    did you see where Tomlin admitted Ben could have returned sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    To be fair, Dobbs hit every receiver but one in the hands. Well, one of them went right through Brown's hands and hit him in the numbers, but still.... Moreover, I also noted that DBs were close, but they didn't actually defend the ball. So, it was something with the receivers dropping balls thrown by Dobbs. My guess would different angle/velocity/spin on the ball/ etc. All of which cause problems (spin on the ball being why teams stayed away from lefties for a long time).

Still. I thought they kept Ben out because of a cost/benefit thing, and it only benefited more than it potentially cost them once we were losing again. After Tomlin's comments, that does hold up. I have no idea why Ben was sitting.