Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic Expectations for rest of the year.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Realistic Expectations for rest of the year.

This team fooled us with the Carolina game. They are very mediocre. I think we make the playoffs still but wildcard road warriors at best.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Realistic Expectations for rest of the year.

It's a wrap folks.

Pats next week, Saints the week after.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Wait, I thought losing games was ok because there is always next week? Losing even one game is crucial in the NFL. Next year the Steelers could lose their first game and some people here will say, "It's just the first game. 15 more to go. No big deal."
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Can't wait to watch "Woody Boyd on Steroids" (Gronkowski) run around uncovered for the entire game next week...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I predicted a couple weeks ago that we'd win all the hard games and lose the easy ones, with the Chargers being the "swing" game - so I am sticking to that. 2/2 so far.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

We just screwed our chances to overtake the Pats, and we probably lost the division there also, we have to beat either the Pats or the Saints, and that isn’t going to happen with our current string of ridiculous bad luck

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Can't wait to watch "Woody Boyd on Steroids" (Gronkowski) run around uncovered for the entire game next week...
    Won't happen Butler will derive a scheme to stop him.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

One of two things will happen the rest of the year.

The Steelers tank the season and miss the playoffs.

Or the team ekes out the AFC North to the playoffs, inevitably goes one and done, the organization thinks everything is okay and doesn't make any changes, resulting in the same old shit in 2019.

This squad isn't winning the Super Bowl. They just don't have the coaching or the players to get it done.

Even if this team somehow pulls a miracle and beats New England next week (they won't), they don't have the extra oomph, attitude or the coaching to get it done. Someone will come along and kick their faces in. There are too many divas and egos on this team. The 2010's Steelers will go down in history as another squad who just couldn't get it done.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

1-2 to close it out. I'm more concerned about next year, the coaching has to be dealt with.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    1-2 to close it out. I'm more concerned about next year, the coaching has to be dealt with.
    Randy Fichtner needs to go.

Keith Butler should be shown the door, but it was one year too late at this point.

Danny Smith should definitely be gone.

Mike Tomlin has to be put on notice next season.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    It's a wrap folks.

Pats next week, Saints the week after.
    This. 5 game losing streak with a "feel good" win against the Bengals to close the season out.

I said way back after KC lose we'd finish 5-10-1. I was close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Throw the record out the window. When did anyone think this team was more than a Divisional Round out in the 2018 playoffs?

Safeties make ZERO plays and have not all year.
    There is 1.5 competent CBs on the roster.
    Defense forces no turnovers.
    Offense turns it over 1-2 times per week.

They have been that team all year. Why would anything change? The players haven't changed.

Nothing this team has shown all year said legitimate SB contender. Now could they ride some breaks and a hot streak deep into the playoffs? Absolutely. But everyone acts like they didn't realize there was a lot of lipstick on the pig with the team from the jump...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

My atheism was actually challenged today.

For who but a vengeful and sadistic deity could have orchestrated such masterfully impossible cruelty onto mine ass as this?

This was no random improbability in a chaotic universe; no my friends, this could only be the work of intelligent design at its most dastardly fuck up-ed-ness!

The end of days are nigh!

And if that wasn’t enough for the first-born-baby-killing bush-burning Abrahamic God of ours, the fucker is also dead set on bouncing me out of my fantasy football playoffs when I have far and away the best team in my league!

Way to go Sister Mary Cathryn Rottencrotch! You finally got me to believe!

Hell can’t be any worse than this...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Throw the record out the window. When did anyone think this team was more than a Divisional Round out in the 2018 playoffs?

Safeties make ZERO plays and have not all year.
    There is 1.5 competent CBs on the roster.
    Defense forces no turnovers.
    Offense turns it over 1-2 times per week.

They have been that team all year. Why would anything change? The players haven't changed.

Nothing this team has shown all year said legitimate SB contender. Now could they ride some breaks and a hot streak deep into the playoffs? Absolutely. But everyone acts like they didn't realize there was a lot of lipstick on the pig with the team from the jump...
    KC's defense is a dumpster fire (and arguably even worse than ours) and they're 11-2. There's no reason the Steelers shouldn't be right up there with them, especially with arguably the best OL in the league.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I finally understand what Tomlin means by “unleash hell in December.”

He means unleash it on me!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    KC's defense is a dumpster fire (and arguably even worse than ours) and they're 11-2. There's no reason the Steelers shouldn't be right up there with them, especially with arguably the best OL in the league.
    KC's offense is significantly better from a schematic point of view than the Steelers are. I haven't checked, but the KC's defense also generates turnovers. That and some luck are the difference between the two teams.

I guess you are right, why not the Steelers? But I look at the roster and I don't see a sure-fire SB team. I see a team that needs a great deal to go their way to get to that point. In the last 3 weeks a great deal has not gone their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Randy Fichtner needs to go.
    Meh. It's his first year as a OC and he did well until the stretch. Like rookie players, I think rookie OCs and DCs get a little tired in their game planning. I'm okay with giving him another year.

Keith Butler should be shown the door, but it was one year too late at this point.
    Yes. Although I disagree. Can't blame last year on him. That defense was predicated on Shazier. This year, however, there's no such excuse.

Danny Smith should definitely be gone.
    And I'm quickly swinging to the opinion he should take Bozwell with him.

Mike Tomlin has to be put on notice next season.
    "Has to?" Not really. "Should be?" I'd agree with you there.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Somewhere I said they'd lose Denver, LAC, OAK, NO, CIN...they'll beat NE...lol. That's their Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

As hot and cold as they run, I can't complain too much about the offense. They've averaged 28 points per game this year with only 4 games under 25 points. If you told me before the year started that that was what our offense would do all year, I'd immediately say that if the defense does it's job we're a top bet for the Super Bowl. Special teams and Defense are utter failures. That we haven't straightened out the defensive backfield after a HALF DECADE of abysmal play is too stupid for words. At a minimum, Butler and Danny Smith need to let go.

Now all we have to look forward to is Le’Veon Bell’s 2019 revenge game when he puts up 300 all purpose yards on us on his way to winning six Super Bowls with the Jets.

So now that I understand believing in this all powerful, invisible sky wizard of yours... the only part I can’t wrap my head around is WORSHIPING the dude.

How many Super Bowls do the Patriots have to win before we decide that god isn’t necessarily what one would commonly refer to as “good”?

We lost to the Raiders for Christ’s sake! I’m just saying, we can’t rule out the possibility that the Church of Satan is onto something.

Color me agnostic for now.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Now all we have to look forward to is Le’Veon Bell’s 2019 revenge game when he puts up 300 all purpose yards on us on his way to winning six Super Bowls with the Jets.

So now that I understand believing in this all powerful, invisible sky wizard of yours... the only part I can’t wrap my head around is WORSHIPING the dude.

How many Super Bowls do the Patriots have to win before we decide that god isn’t necessarily what one would commonly refer to as “good”?

We lost to the Raiders for Christ’s sake! I’m just saying, we can’t rule out the possibility that the Church of Satan is onto something.

Color me agnostic for now.
    Seriously. Settle down with ripping on people's faith. This is the second post in as many minutes and threads I've read. No need to be offensive to people who have a different belief than you. We all hate the Steelers lost.

If you want to blame someone or something. Blame Canada.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

8-7-1

Senior Member Array title="The Bark is a jewel in the rough"> The Bark's Avatar

Realistically? I figured before this game we would lose 5 in a row. I'm doing better than Meatloaf at this point.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I doubt the Bungals beat us sans Dalton and Green (or anyone, for that matter).

But it's certainly an uphill battle coming out of a three game losing streak facing the Cheats and the Saints. I don't see anyone winning in New Orleans, and while the Cheats did lose in Miami, we're in worse shape than even the Dolphins.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    I doubt the Bungals beat us sans Dalton and Green (or anyone, for that matter).

But it's certainly an uphill battle coming out of a three game losing streak facing the Cheats and the Saints. I don't see anyone winning in New Orleans, and while the Cheats did lose in Miami, we're in worse shape than even the Dolphins.
    anyone can beat this team and they are immune to being embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Seriously. Settle down with ripping on people's faith. This is the second post in as many minutes and threads I've read. No need to be offensive to people who have a different belief than you. We all hate the Steelers lost.

If you want to blame someone or something. Blame Canada.
    I still don’t believe Canada exists. I haven’t gone completely crazy... but I’m getting there. 😜

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

8-7-1

This is like when the flawed 1998 and 2009 (no Troy) teams fell apart

Ray Sherman got fired as OC after 1998 - special teams coach Ligashesky fired after 2009

Hard to see Butler surviving

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    8-7-1

This is like when the flawed 1998 and 2009 (no Troy) teams fell apart

Ray Sherman got fired as OC after 1998 - special teams coach Ligashesky fired after 2009

Hard to see Butler surviving
    Yeah and I could see AJR making Joey Porter the DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    anyone can beat this team and they are immune to being embarrassed.
    At this point I think we might be tanking on purpose to get to that ever illusive 15th pick in the draft. If anyone has a more rational explanation, I haven’t heard it yet.

You think Nick Bosa will fall to 15? Or do we need to trade up to 14?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Yeah and I could see AJR making Joey Porter the DC.
    Couldn’t be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler