Thread: Receivers Suddenly Can't Catch?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Receivers Suddenly Can't Catch?

True. But I think that is what happens when you expect the ball low and outside and it comes in high and inside, or whatever. It was weird though!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They are throwing to routes that are completely covered and sometimes double coverage. They are running routes that appear open and then it’s just immediately cover d by the time the ball gets there. The button hooks are non-stop covered like that and Ben tries to force the ball there and ultimately its incomplete most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    True. But I think that is what happens when you expect the ball low and outside and it comes in high and inside, or whatever. It was weird though!
    I was wondering about that. Or, perhaps the spin on the ball or the velocity messes with the timing. All of that said, I only saw one bad pass by Dobbs. The rest were problems with receivers dropping it (or perhaps Dobbs not putting it where they are used to it, but I'd expect a receiver to be able to make the adjustment).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I was wondering about that. Or, perhaps the spin on the ball or the velocity messes with the timing. All of that said, I only saw one bad pass by Dobbs. The rest were problems with receivers dropping it (or perhaps Dobbs not putting it where they are used to it, but I'd expect a receiver to be able to make the adjustment).
    As bad as Dobbs was, it was encouraging. He identified the place to go with the ball and did so decisively. He just looked like a guy who gets 2 dozen reps a week and that is it.

As bad as Dobbs was, it was encouraging. He identified the place to go with the ball and did so decisively. He just looked like a guy who gets 2 dozen reps a week and that is it.
    And, I'm fine with saying he didn't look bad at all when it came to actual passing. The throw to JuJu on the sideline was a little high, but outside the one throw behind the receiver, every throw hit a receiver in the hands without the receiver having to stretch for it.

If I had to downgrade Dobbs today, it'd be on his mechanics. That little hop as he threw to JuJu on the sideline is worrisome. On the other side, I like the fact he can run, and run well with the ball, but he still looks as though he wants to throw the ball downfield first instead of running at the first sign of trouble.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Dobbs can't sense the rush coming right into his face?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    And, I'm fine with saying he didn't look bad at all when it came to actual passing. The throw to JuJu on the sideline was a little high, but outside the one throw behind the receiver, every throw hit a receiver in the hands without the receiver having to stretch for it.

If I had to downgrade Dobbs today, it'd be on his mechanics. That little hop as he threw to JuJu on the sideline is worrisome. On the other side, I like the fact he can run, and run well with the ball, but he still looks as though he wants to throw the ball downfield first instead of running at the first sign of trouble.
    I would agree with all that. Some of the negative stuff might be just coming in cold and having to play without a full prep week. But Dobbs certainly didn't look worse than Landry Jones, justifying the decision to let Landry go.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Dobbs can't sense the rush coming right into his face?
    No, I think Dobbs is trying to prove he can stay in the pocket and throw the ball instead of falling into the stereotypical run-the-ball-at-the-first-sign-of-trouble that many have him pegged as being.

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree with all that. Some of the negative stuff might be just coming in cold and having to play without a full prep week. But Dobbs certainly didn't look worse than Landry Jones, justifying the decision to let Landry go.
    This.

I've been trying to put my finger on the difference between Dobbs and Jones. I think it's the fact that Dobbs will challenge a defense. Jones never did. He only took what was given to him, and not always that. I also think the playcalling for Dobbs was suspect.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

At first look a few of those passes looked catchable, but defenders had hands in on every one. Maybe he was a little late. I think some designed runs for him would have helped as well, or bootlegs . Something to get him out of pocket. But what would have been better was to have Ben in there.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I was thinking the same thing about Ben overthrowing JuJu for a TD. A weekly event with some or all the WR. So now we have the best WR that can’t catch and QB that forces or over throws the WR.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    At first look a few of those passes looked catchable, but defenders had hands in on every one. Maybe he was a little late. I think some designed runs for him would have helped as well, or bootlegs . Something to get him out of pocket. But what would have been better was to have Ben in there.
    I thought that as well, but as I watched, in most of them, the receiver actually dropped the ball rather than it being defended. That's what makes me wonder if they were having problems catching his passes because they're different somehow.