Thread: Joe Starkey: Steelers' special teams are a hideous disaster

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Joe Starkey: Steelers' special teams are a hideous disaster

NOT SO SPECIAL

Bad special teams can ruin a season.

Ask the 2009 Steelers about that. Jeff Reed attacking a Sheetz towel dispenser was good news compared to the way the rest of the year went.

That was the infamous “unleash hell” season, when Mike Tomlin vowed his team would “not go gently” as the season crumbled all around him. Those Steelers amazingly allowed four kickoff returns for touchdowns, not to mention a 55-yard punt return to Josh Cribbs in a horrifying loss to the Cleveland Browns.

I am reminded of that group as these Steelers teeter on the brink of disaster heading into Oakland on Sunday (the ’09 team lost to a terrible Raiders team at Heinz Field).

It would be no small feat to outdo Bob Ligashesky’s ‘09 special teams, but say this much for Danny Smith’s guys: They’re giving it a real shot.

That’s not to say it’s all bad. The Steelers blocked a punt against the Chargers and pulled off the old kicker-to-tackle touchdown pass in Denver. But this group is mostly an abomination.

The return game stinks. The kicking game stinks. The coverage mostly stinks. The players often do not appear to know the rules (they run away from free kicks and touch blocked punts). And if they do know the rules, they don’t seem especially inclined to follow them (NFL-leading 25 penalties).

Special teams should be calming the waters at a time like this, not whipping up tsunamis. The Steelers have enough problems — covering wide receivers with linebackers, throwing interceptions like confetti and watching their ground game disappear — without having to suffer, say, another missed extra point.

Here’s a number that should open your eyes: The Steelers are the only team in the NFL with at least 20 special teams penalties (accepted penalties). Their 25 is six more than second-place Jacksonville. Many teams are in single-digits.

Pro Football Focus has the Steelers’ special teams ranked 31st overall, which would be awesome in a 200-team league. This one has only 32. And only the Cleve Brownies are worse.

Let’s break it down …

Read more...

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201812060168

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Joe Starkey: Steelers' special teams are a hideous disaster

Awesomeness!!!!

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

And most of us have been saying this for....how long?

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    It would be no small feat to outdo Bob Ligashesky’s ‘09 special teams, but say this much for Danny Smith’s guys: They’re giving it a real shot.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All KO should be way into the EZ to minimize penalties. Kick it low and scooch it if necessary.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

But they blocked a punt last week and had the sweet Boz to AV fake FG/TD pass

That probably gets Danny Smith a lifetime job with Tomlin unless AJRII steps in - if this season ends with another one & done playoff run or less hopefully the owner tells Tomlin it is time for new ST and DC coaches

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Special teams does bite us, but I think if Ben stops throwing to the other team 1-2 times a game in the redzone that would help a million times more than shoddy kick coverage.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Is it me...or does "teetering on the brink of disaster" sound a little hyperbolic for a team leading its division by a 1/2 game with four games to play?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Is it me...or does "teetering on the brink of disaster" sound a little hyperbolic for a team leading its division by a 1/2 game with four games to play?
    It's always like this after a loss in Steelersland. Two losses in a row and the season's over, regardless of the standings.

However, Danny Smith does need to be replaced. But then, STs for this team have more or less been a dumpster fire all the way back to the Cowher era. For every SB XXX onside kick, there has been a performance like the '01 AFCCG to balance it out...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Depends whether or not you think the Ravens are more likely to beat the Chiefs or Chargers than the the Steelers are to beat the Pats or Saints along with whether you think 9-6-1 gets a wild card

Given that the Ravens finishing 10-6 along with one of the current 6-6 teams (plus 7-6 Titans) is not an outrageous possibility and the poor play by the Steelers over the past three games teetering fits for me

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I love it when a fan from a different team cracks me up.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

How quickly people forget how bad it was with our last ST coach. We were giving up tds on a regular bases. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a big fan of Smith, but he is thinking, and if we could somehow get rid of return penalties, STs would be fine. Berry has averaged mid 50s the last three weeks. If people are blaming Steelers problems on special teams.....well......

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I wonder if they can have simple guidelines or formulas in place for hiring / firing coaches.

For instance, if you are in the bottom 1/3rd for two consecutive years or bottom 1/2 for 3 years, you are gone.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I have "Sean Mahan" level hate for Danny Smith...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Depends whether or not you think the Ravens are more likely to beat the Chiefs or Chargers than the the Steelers are to beat the Pats or Saints along with whether you think 9-6-1 gets a wild card

Given that the Ravens finishing 10-6 along with one of the current 6-6 teams (plus 7-6 Titans) is not an outrageous possibility and the poor play by the Steelers over the past three games teetering fits for me
    Standings wise, a loss is a loss.

But these last two were particularly stinky.

1/2 game up with four to play isn’t much of a cushion.

Teetering fits for me too.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I could care less whether Danny Smith stays or goes. I dont see the problems with ST as scheme or concept. There is no return game because few teams are really returning kicks. The coverages are no better or no worse. The problem is penalties. Not sure what a coach can do. Smith can not bench guys because the STs unit gets the guys it gets based on the needs of the offense and defense each week.

Long story short, the STs problems are the result of dumb players doing dumb things. The reanimated corpse of Vince Lombardi assisted by the ghost of Chuck Noll could coach these guys and I’m not sure the results wouldn’t be the same.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If Tomlin is stupid enough to retain Danny Smith then he deserves to be fired himself. Tomlin has such an innate ability to keep sticking with pure garbage long after its clear they should be fired/benched. This applies to both players and coaches

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I'm not a Danny Smith guy but our STs have been way better. There was a time when I assumed every KO or puny would result in a TD or at least a long return. They are doing a good job with the exception of penalties and I don't know what to do about that but it seriously sucks when you know every decent return will result in a holding penalty

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

We lost to a two win team today. Still think that “teetering on the brink of disaster” is hyperbolic?

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    We lost to a two win team today. Still think that “teetering on the brink of disaster” is hyperbolic?
    We-l-l-l...maybe. But not as much as prior to the end of that game!