Thread: Religion, why do you believe in it?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Religion, why do you believe in it?

Just curious for the religious people. Why do you believe in god? Was it because you actually had a spiritual experience or was it because you were taught to believe it growing up and just never questioned it? Or is it the fear of going to hell if you're a nonbeliever? Do you do it out of fear or actual joy of following the tenets / commandments?

For me, I'm not religious, but I was for about my first 23 years on Earth until I lost my faith / beliefs. I used to think I was the most devout follower in Christ, I literally did everything by the book until my 'fuck it moment'. I went to church sometimes more than once a week, read the bible, stayed away from alcohol and sex, thinking that the ultimate reward was waiting for me after I died. However, I can say my main reason for being a follower was the fear of going to hell and being punished (they really drill that into your head growing up).

At some point I started to question the truth and sense in everything, as well as some of the bible stories / lessons that were totally contradicting to the ten commandments. I prayed every day for years for god to talk to me, to help me stay on the path. If god supposedly loves all his children equally, surely he'd come to me like he did King David, Moses, or sometimes even criminals who Jesus supposedly talked to. As more time went on, I started to realize it was bullshit and decided to live my life how I wanted to, and instead of the 10 commandments, I just stick to the one commandment, don't be an asshole.

After all, it works. If you're not an asshole, chances are you won't be a murderer, thief, or liar so it's all good right

Anyway I'm not here to knock anybody who still believes in god, but I'm just curious if any of you ever questioned the validity of the faith at all during your life?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Religion, why do you believe in it?

I am religious person and follower of God, have since college. I find the greatest peace and fulfillment in the pursuit of God. Moreso, I have had beautiful spiritual experiences that would be hard to explain to those who haven't had similar experiences (not trying to knock anyone). Also there is great peace and comfort in knowing of a loving God willing to forgive all my sins and wrongdoings (and there are definitely some, I know I am far from perfect) out of pure love.

I think it is easier to stay in religion and God if you do it out of fulfillment/peace rather than out of fear of going to hell.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Thanks for your insight and post. Following anything that legitimately brings you joy is always a good reason.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the Bible tells us a lot of things and many man has distorted since one such thing is the location of Mt Sinai

the bible tells us 73 times that Moses led his people out of their lands and yet Modern man insists Mt Sinai is is within their lands ...

watch this ...... its LONG but its well worth your time I assure you

its crazy and it is without a doubt true ...

remember this you will only get what you put into searching , God will give you lessons in layers , want depth you have to truly dedicate yourself

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Religion was force fed to me throughout 8 years of elementary school, 4 years of high school, and 4 years of college.
    Fear of eventual and eternal punishment was the driving force behind my religious teachings.

My field was science, and the more I learned science, the weaker my faith became.
    Personally, I cannot reconcile the “unmoved mover” with what I’ve seen throughout my life.
    I also never look down upon those with a strong sense of faith; it’s a private and personal belief that they are entitled to.
    It is my belief that religions were created for two reasons: 1) an attempt to make sense of our existence, trying to answer questions such as “why are we here? what is the purpose of life? We instinctively look for answers to mysteries and things we cannot comprehend
    2) to shape man’s behavior to conform and to create order

The Bible was written by men, humans, not a divine entity.

Hospital wards are filled with infants and children with terminal illnesses. If there is an all merciful God, why does this happen?

Accepting it as “God’s plan”for these unfortunate individuals and something we must accept due to blind faith is something I just can’t embrace. Try convincing parents that are watching their children die from terminal cancer it’s a part of a plan they should accept.

It’s my belief that there is only one rule to follow because it benefits everyone...the golden rule.

Just my two cents....to each their own.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Religion was force fed to me throughout 8 years of elementary school, 4 years of high school, and 4 years of college.
    Fear of eventual and eternal punishment was the driving force behind my religious teachings.

My field was science, and the more I learned science, the weaker my faith became.
    Personally, I cannot reconcile the “unmoved mover” with what I’ve seen throughout my life.
    I also never look down upon those with a strong sense of faith; it’s a private and personal belief that they are entitled to.
    It is my belief that religions were created for two reasons: 1) an attempt to make sense of our existence, trying to answer questions such as “why are we here? what is the purpose of life? We instinctively look for answers to mysteries and things we cannot comprehend
    2) to shape man’s behavior to conform and to create order

The Bible was written by men, humans, not a divine entity.

Hospital wards are filled with infants and children with terminal illnesses. If there is an all merciful God, why does this happen?

Accepting it as “God’s plan”for these unfortunate individuals and something we must accept due to blind faith is something I just can’t embrace. Try convincing parents that are watching their children die from terminal cancer it’s a part of a plan they should accept.

It’s my belief that there is only one rule to follow because it benefits everyone...the golden rule.

Just my two cents....to each their own.
    My thoughts on the subject exactly

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think all you need do is take a look around us. In the observed universe there is no sign of life anywhere. Nothing. Yet the Earth is teeming with life. Even in the harshest and most inhospitable nooks and crannies there is life. There are atmospheres on this planet that do not support vegetation or oxygen or nitrogen, yet there is life there. Why only here? The Mars rovers found nothing yet we are going there in an effort to colonize. There has been found evidence of liquid water, volcanic activity, even weather patterns and seasons have been observed. But nothing to support the existence of life anywhere but here. If you were on a distant planet in another solar system and you observed the Earth, you would see the evidence of life here. And not just evidence, a planet teeming with it. I am of a scientific mind also, and maybe the story doesn't quite go as religion tells it exactly. But from what scientific observation and exploration shows, religion's version is just as plausible as any story. Maybe even more plausible than we are just a unique natural phenomenon that occurred randomly.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. To believe that something came from nothing is absurd. God gave us all a free will and may believe whatever we want. I believe in Jesus Christ, the one true God and the only way to eternal salvation. Others can make arguments based on theories but I will stay true to my personal experience with Jesus. Religion never saved anyone so it's a shame that it was forced upon some of you. True Christianity is about relationship with a living God.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. To believe that something came from nothing is absurd. God gave us all a free will and may believe whatever we want. I believe in Jesus Christ, the one true God and the only way to eternal salvation. Others can make arguments based on theories but I will stay true to my personal experience with Jesus. Religion never saved anyone so it's a shame that it was forced upon some of you. True Christianity is about relationship with a living God.
    This!

Good deeds and philanthropy of all kinds are great.... but that is just what good people do.... of all beliefs and non beliefs all over the world. Christians do the same, and some don't, just like people of every belief system/religion around the world.

To be Christian doesn't mean you have to do good deeds. It doesn't mean you have to like/love everyone. To be Christian means that you believe Jesus Christ is the Savior.... the only way to salvation.

No where is it said that being Christian is easy or that there will be no hard times or sorrow in your life.

I don't argue about the existence of the Holy Trinity.... I just believe. Others are free to believe or not, as they see fit.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Question:

Has anyone here seen, felt or been in the presence of spirits?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Question:

Has anyone here seen, felt or been in the presence of spirits?
    I've felt the presence of the Lord and it really is an incredible transcendent feeling. It's something you have to really open yourself up to however.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I don't know about spirits per say, but I had something pretty awesome happen a month ago.

I will prefice this by saying that I am a believer. I work to love everyone, regardless of their personal belief systems.

One evening around 11 pm, I was getting my stuff ready for the next work day. I was going into the basement to get some clothes, and I felt an overwhelming need to pray for a former student. It was almost as if someone whispered "Pray for Allison" to me. I stopped, and prayed for her and her well being and that God would wrap his loving and healing arms around her. Don't know why I felt this urge, but I did.

When I was sitting and eating my breakfast the next morning, I decided to look Allison up. We were friends online, but I hadn't seen her post anything in a while. Well....at about 11 pm the previous evening she had posted, "Surgery in the Morning, prayers appreciated."

Was this a coincidence? Maybe. My faith in God says otherwise. Part of my prayers for her the previous evening were also led towards something with her and her husband. I found out a few days later through another post of hers that she had surgery to remove some cysts or something. Basically the same surgery my ex had experienced when we were trying to conceive.

I believe I was touched by the Holy Spirit that evening. It was a pretty awesome experience, and I get a little choked up when I think about it.

I don't think people are wrong for not believing in God. It is not my place to judge anyone, and I won't. I simply want everyone to feel the kind of joy I feel though my relationship with Christ.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I've felt the presence of the Lord and it really is an incredible transcendent feeling. It's something you have to really open yourself up to however.
    Are you saying this in general or have there been very specific "moments" that you can share.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Amen, brother.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Are you saying this in general or have there been very specific "moments" that you can share.
    Last month, I had hit a rough point, having issues with my job among other things and facing an uncertain future. That night there was what the church was calling a holy hour. During the service I had brought my bible and looking through it, really searching for answers to see if God would speak to me through a word. Then I feel his presence and I can hear him telling me to as I heard "untie myself from the need to know, be right and the need for control and to instead let myself float like a bird and let the holy spirit take me wherever I go". I also heard him tell me to post it on Facebook to share with others. Since then I have been trying to look at everything through a new outlook, to be calmer, to be more at peace and to view happiness as something that can be obtained regardless of what we currently have rather than place happiness in the things of the world. Not gonna lie that has been challenging, and I have faced missteps in this last part, but it has been rewarding when I have been successful.

Last month, I had hit a rough point, having issues with my job among other things and facing an uncertain future. That night there was what the church was calling a holy hour. During the service I had brought my bible and looking through it, really searching for answers to see if God would speak to me through a word. Then I feel his presence and I can hear him telling me to as I heard "untie myself from the need to know, be right and the need for control

and to instead let myself float like a bird and let the holy spirit take me wherever I go". I also heard him tell me to post it on Facebook to share with others.

Since then I have been trying to look at everything through a new outlook, to be calmer, to be more at peace and to view happiness as something that can be obtained regardless of what we currently have rather than place happiness in the things of the world. Not gonna lie that has been challenging, and I have faced missteps in this last part, but it has been rewarding when I have been successful.
    You are in my prayers, friend.

Funny you mention floating like a bird and posting on facebook....

My daughter turned 19 in heaven yesterday and this was the song I shared in my facebook post to her yesterday.

My reason for asking you is that I struggle with my belief at times and I have had to reason my way to believing (instead of through "blind faith")

through talking with others about their spiritual encounters and experiences

as well as seeing first hand encounters by those with whom I am very close, including my daughter.

Finding God and believing has come more easily to others than to me, but I beleive it is important that each one of us exhaust every possibility for our own sake.

You are in my prayers, friend.

Funny you mention floating like a bird and posting on facebook....

My daughter turned 19 in heaven yesterday and this was the song I shared in my facebook post to her yesterday.

My reason for asking you is that I struggle with my belief at times and I have had to reason my way to believing (instead of through "blind faith")

through talking with others about their spiritual encounters and experiences

as well as seeing first hand encounters by those with whom I am very close, including my daughter.

Finding God and believing has come more easily to others than to me, but I beleive it is important that each one of us exhaust every possibility for our own sake.

I don't think living in faith and maintaining faith is really easy in general. Living in the world, it is so easy to turn elsewhere even if it is to give in to our own negative emotional reactions. I know it hasn't come easy for me. Also I think it is easier to believe if you just believe rather than try and rationalize

Also thanks for sharing

I dunno man, shit like Tom Brady makes me lose my faith, I'm like "if there was really a god, this insufferable prick would have lost every postseason game"