Thread: Why does this defense not create turnovers? Here is why!

Threaded View

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Why does this defense not create turnovers? Here is why!

Unfortunately this team is going nowhere fast and it will be that way for quite some time.

Offensively they have lots of talent, but it takes on the personality of our QB. Sloppy, careless and not understanding the importance of situational football.

Ben doesn’t seem to value the importance of taking care of the football. It’s to the point that you expect him to turn it over every game now. The fact that he continues to do this in the redzone is alarming.

However, this is about the defense. To start this off, Butler should have been let go like yesterday. The fact that you have Bostic, an ILB that is only serviceable at best against the run, on the opposition’s best WR for most of the game is idiotic. Did the Chargers pay him to do this? Enough said there. He needs to go.

Also their draft philosophy needs to change. We had hits with high defensive draft picks with Heyward, Tuitt, Hargraves, Shazier and Watt. When you have high draft picks, getting a serviceable player is a miss in my opinion.

At OLB, we picked Worilds, Sylvester, Jones, Dupree and Watt. Worilds was serviceable and so is Dupree to some degree, but I feel that they are all misses besides Watt. We continue to pick these tweener type OLB’s that lack strength vs tackles and a nasty attitude to blow up tackles. Being nasty is a big part in playing the OLB position.

In the secondary we pick Davis, Burns, Sutton, and Edmunds. Davis and Sutton are serviceable at best which counts to me as a miss. Burns has turned out to be a bust and I have to say I never liked the Edmunds pick in that spot.

Edmunds may prove me wrong, but I’m doubtful. In the secondary, Colbert and Tomlin feel they can pick fast, athletic, less experienced, raw, hybrid type players and coach them up. It hasn’t worked yet! The hybrid philosophy needs to go. If you want a safety, pick a seasoned one in college that is good at THAT position. Quit picking guys that are spending half of their college careers playing different positions as an experiment.

If you want a CB, pick a seasoned one that can play the position. You are drafting high taking raw less experienced guys looking to coach them up. In my opinion, you don’t coach up players to make them BECOME a certain position.

You fine tune the player at that position into the pro level. The player should already know how to play the position you drafted them as. The Steelers try to coach them into the position from scratch. The game has changed and when you also don’t draft players with cover and ball skills in the secondary, that will translate the same on the field.

When we had Harrison, Woodley, Hampton, Troy, Clark, Ike and those guys, our defense got turnovers from an elite, fumble causing pass rush, picks by Troy and hard hitting all around. Now that the league has cracked down on bone jarring hits, the Steelers can’t generate the turnovers they used to. They also don’t have a talent like Troy to get picks in the secondary.

This is why the Steelers don’t generate turnovers. They don’t draft ball skill players. That is what is needed in this league today. When you have guys that can take it away in the secondary like Woodson, it makes QB’s hesitate to throw it out there in respect that it will get picked. That split second of hesitation can turn into a sack.

When you continuosly pick low in the draft, you have to make moves in the draft to go get players like William Jackson lll. They’re not going to fall to you. The Steelers like to hold on to having more picks. However, the players they selected with those multiple picks for the secondary has been garbage. The Steelers need to figure it out, or constantly be a one and done playoff team.
    Last edited by StillCurtains; 12-03-2018 at 01:05 PM.