Thread: Packers Fire McCarthy

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Packers Fire McCarthy

kind of shocked this was not posted yesterday came to drop a comment in it and it was not yet here so here it now is ...

Many are shocked by this move and understandably so ...

a quick comparison between McCarthy and Mike Tomlin in attached Tweet

but some other stuff there too the tweet is for record comparison only

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Packers Fire McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    kind of shocked this was not posted yesterday came to drop a comment in it and it was not yet here so here it now is ...

Many are shocked by this move and understandably so ...

a quick comparison between McCarthy and Mike Tomlin in attached Tweet

but some other stuff there too the tweet is for record comparison only

SI.com had a long article recently on the relationship between Rodgers and McCarthy having collapsed

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/29/gr...y-ted-thompson

As far as we know Ben has not turned on Tomlin and unlike Rodgers the Steelers did not just invest big $$$$ in a long term contract for Ben.

If Ben decides Tomlin is part of the problem I suppose Tomlin then may be in a similar situation

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

What, no mention of the Rooney Rule?

Why does Tomlin still have job?
    Just a guess here - because despite stumbling the last 2 weeks the Steelers are still firmly in playoff contention, whereas the Packers have all but been mathematically eliminated despite having the supposedly far superior QB?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Tomlin needs to be fired, he's been constantly underachieving with this team for a half a decade now and he has failed miserably to put together a defense capable of doing anything other than pad their stats against the NFL's worst offenses. This has been the norm for a Mike Tomlin coached team

-Start off slow, normally at best 2-2
    -Blow at least 2 games in spectacular fashion
    -Drop at least one game to a team you are completely better than
    -Get thoroughly outclassed by the Patriots
    -You are better than this one team but since you historically have struggles winning in this place, you find a way to lose
    -Play well enough to make the playoffs largely thanks to high end offensive talent and your amazing o-line coach, but not well enough to get a bye unless the AFC is spectacularly weak and there is only one other team winning consistently (usually that game to a bad team you lost to comes back to haunt you)
    -Along the way you will have close wins against teams you should win by double digits against
    -Along the way you will also have off-the-field drama during the season
    -Lose in the playoffs while your defense gets shredded
    -Next April you are picking in the first round anywhere from 23-30. You get a guy based off pure athleticism. Problem is he has a 10 cent head and can't actually play the game, and your clueless defensive position coaches don't know how the hell to coach up a player. Best case scenario, you get a guy in TJ Watt who feasts off of weak tackles for 2-4 sacks in a game then disappears for the next 2-3 games.
    -You will also completely ignore one of your 2 or 3 most pressing needs in the draft, and only address the need in the entire offseason by signing an undrafted free agent
    -Highly likely at least one of your players get arrested as well
    -Wash rinse repeat

If this is satisfying to the front office, keep Tomlin, but if winning another championship is the goal then fire him

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce...Bill Cowher...
    Not sure how Bill Cowher relates to this, this isn't a Cowher vs Tomlin thing. Also not sure how simply saying "His predecessor did it to" defends Tomlin in anyway

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Not sure how Bill Cowher relates to this, this isn't a Cowher vs Tomlin thing. Also not sure how simply saying "His predecessor did it to" defends Tomlin in anyway
    Because this is generally the point of this conversation where the inevitable Cowher comparisons are made. I deleted it anyway.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This was mentioned in the Week 13 thread. Probably why it didn't get a life of its own.

McCarthy was a bumbling idiot of a head coach. the fact that he misused Aaron Jones or just didn't use him was his obvious flaw this season. Then if you're not on the same page with your star QB...then you're screwed. He'll have a job somewhere next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Watch Packers games. Then watch Steelers games. There is a difference. Guys play way harder for Tomlin than they do for McCarthy. Also the QB doesn't like the dude. Combine that with McCarthy's inability to identify that Aaron Jones was the better RB and figure out how to get anything out of Randall Cobb consistently and on and on.

Despite what some rando from Twitter says, there are stark contrasts between the two. If nothing else, Tomlin projects the idea that he has a plan and a general concept he is working from. McCarthy frequently comes across as having no ideas. Please understand I said "projects" or gives the impression. I make no claims as to what is actually going on, but people do pick up on that kinda stuff.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Watch Packers games. Then watch Steelers games. There is a difference. Guys play way harder for Tomlin than they do for McCarthy. Also the QB doesn't like the dude. Combine that with McCarthy's inability to identify that Aaron Jones was the better RB and figure out how to get anything out of Randall Cobb consistently and on and on.

Despite what some rando from Twitter says, there are stark contrasts between the two. If nothing else, Tomlin projects the idea that he has a plan and a general concept he is working from. McCarthy frequently comes across as having no ideas. Please understand I said "projects" or gives the impression. I make no claims as to what is actually going on, but people do pick up on that kinda stuff.
    I was REALLY high on Aaron Jones predraft last year , I honestly thought he was a poor mans Dalvin Cook ( does all the same things for you just not blazing fast but fast enough ) ...