Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conner is he done ?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Conner is he done ?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Lazy Douchette. It's Trey Edmunds not Edwards.

And I was going to say Conner's injury didn't look like just a contusion. That looked like a high ankle sprain in the replay.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Lazy Douchette. It's Trey Edmunds not Edwards.
    Maybe Bouchette was thinking of Troy Edwards and that the Steelers were bringing back other first round busts from yesteryear to keep Burns company

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I expect Samuels to be the next great dime-a-dozen-we-don't-need-Bell Running Back for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I expect Samuels to be the next great dime-a-dozen-we-don't-need-Bell Running Back for the Steelers.
    The Steelers front office certainly has acted as if backs are interchangeable cogs with their approach to designing Plan B if Bell did not show this season

Bell and the Steelers front office have engaged in the old Cold War doctrine of deterrence through mutually assured destruction except in this case the missiles launched

This from Ed B. of the P-G

Steelers can blame themselves for their RB mess

Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday that halfback-by-committee is possible with Conner out. Better yet, why didn’t the Steelers pursue that way back in the spring, when they pushed all of their chips on the table that Le’Veon Bell would gladly return for another season?

The Steelers had choices back then. They could have washed their hands of Bell and let him go, or even just put the transition tag on him and either match someone else’s offer or let him leave. If he left, they would have had $14.544 million to not only sign a good veteran back to complement Conner, but use some of the money to help their defense, and maybe draft a back higher than the fifth round.

However, once they committed to Bell, they still should have prepared for what might happen if he decided to stay away. They should have gone right to work to find a better veteran back.

Even after they did not do that, they staked everything on Conner. Tomlin has a track record of running the wheels off his No. 1 back, and that did not change because that back was Conner and not Bell or Willie Parker or Rashard Mendenhall.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201812040149

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

I'm excited to see him play more. I like him and it seems like he can run with power, block and catch with decent speed. What's not to like?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

However, once they committed to Bell, they still should have prepared for what might happen if he decided to stay away. They should have gone right to work to find a better veteran back.
    C'mon Ed, did you really believe Bell was going to forfeit an ENTIRE SEASON worth of checks?

Bell's 2018 has been a case study in how NOT to hold out for more money.

Tomlin has a track record of running the wheels off his No. 1 back, and that did not change because that back was Conner and not Bell or Willie Parker or Rashard Mendenhall.
    Really? That's funny, because all I've heard lately is a bunch of bitching about "Air Fichtner" abandoning the running game.

Isn't 20/20 hindsight wonderful?

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    C'mon Ed, did you really believe Bell was going to forfeit an ENTIRE SEASON worth of checks?
    One definition of irrational behavior is someone doing something you do not expect them to do. Just because something is not probable does not mean you do not plan for it (assuming the plan is more than hope Conner has great year and does not get hurt)

Isn't 20/20 hindsight wonderful?
    Because who could have foreseen a running back missing multiple games due to an injury.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

One definition of irrational behavior is someone doing something you do not expect them to do. Just because something is not probable does not mean you do not plan for it (assuming the plan is more than hope Conner has great year and does not get hurt)
    I think the Steelers planned for a Bell/Conner 1-2 punch. I don't think that was being unrealistic.

Because who could have foreseen a running back missing multiple games due to an injury.
    But I thought RBs were a dime-a-dozen and the position was devalued in the modern NFL?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Tomlin has a track record of running the wheels off his No. 1 back, and that did not change because that back was Conner and not Bell or Willie Parker or Rashard Mendenhall.
    The only time Tomlin "ran the wheels off" was Willie Parker in 2007.

Really? That's funny, because all I've heard lately is a bunch of bitching about "Air Fichtner" abandoning the running game (when it was effective)
    Added that little extra caveat, but yeah, it's true.

15 carries on Conner total even after averaging 4 yards a carry and scoring two TD's? Yeah, I think that warrants "Air Fichtner", as the Steelers proceeded to blow a 16-point lead and lost. This is Bruce Airhead and Todd Haley even at their very worst.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Samuels can hold down the fort for now, he'll be our mewelde moore

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So the Steelers had 3 non-scoring drives to open the second half.

Drive #1 - 4 rushes and 4 passes
    Drive #2 - 2 passes and 1 run. Then a holding penalty and then a sack.
    Drive #3 - 1 run and 2 passes

Not exactly a pass wacky situation. 6 rushing calls and 8 passing calls. That is balance in 2018.

It is interesting how a narrative takes hold and can not be rooted out despite like facts and stuff. The Steelers offense was fantastically ineffective for 4 out of 10 drives. And a 5th resulted in a boneheaded INT by the franchise.

But an initial pass through the game book and lack of called plays to the RB wasn't the problem. It was the inability of the pass game to convert on 3rd and medium yardage.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The only time Tomlin "ran the wheels off" was Willie Parker in 2007.
    Bell led the league in carries in 2017 with 321

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...B/BellLe00.htm

Mendenhall had 324 carries in 2010

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...M/MendRa00.htm

Parker had 321 carries before he broke his leg in his 15th game in 2007

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...P/ParkWi00.htm

Only season I recall Tomlin significantly mixing it up with 2 backs was Parker and Mewelde Moore in 2008 after the Ravens broke Mendenhall’s clavicle (?) early that season

I think the Steelers planned for a Bell/Conner 1-2 punch. I don't think that was being unrealistic.
    Agreed in a rational world that made perfect sense. But the Steelers already knew Bell was not approaching the process in the manner one would expect after he ignored his agent’s recommendation to take the 2017 offer so planning for Bell going rogue was more prudent than in most negotiations

But I thought RBs were a dime-a-dozen and the position was devalued in the modern NFL?
    We are about to find out. The Chargers certainly did in the second half Sunday night.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Wait, so now Samuels isn't an insurance policy? What the heck else can you see him as? When he was drafted the Steelers, in theory, had Bell AND Conner on the depth chart. If taking a draft pick and turning it into the exact type of swiss army RB you already feature TWICE on your roster isn't an insurance plan...I'm not sure what is.

I swear Steelers media/Twitter is simply a race to see who can be the gloomiest. Can you imagine what would have happened if the Steelers had either devoted a HIGH draft pick to a RB OR several million in cap space and then held a press conference to say that just in case Bell holds out and Conner gets injured we really wanted to have another RB on the roster. As best I can gather that is what Ed B and others are now running with as a hard hitting story. But, again, I might've missed the point...I often do. Especially after a Steelers loss.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wait, so now Samuels isn't an insurance policy? What the heck else can you see him as? When he was drafted the Steelers, in theory, had Bell AND Conner on the depth chart. If taking a draft pick and turning it into the exact type of swiss army RB you already feature TWICE on your roster isn't an insurance plan...I'm not sure what is.

I swear Steelers media/Twitter is simply a race to see who can be the gloomiest. Can you imagine what would have happened if the Steelers had either devoted a HIGH draft pick to a RB OR several million in cap space and then held a press conference to say that just in case Bell holds out and Conner gets injured we really wanted to have another RB on the roster. As best I can gather that is what Ed B and others are now running with as a hard hitting story. But, again, I might've missed the point...I often do. Especially after a Steelers loss.
    Don’t forget Ridley was in the roster as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

blame Tomlin and front office for thinking a RB in his prime with a chance at SB would turn down 14.5 million to play a game and be set for life. Bell is a selfish piece of shit and a horrible teammate, I guess the front office should have planned for it. They had a have bigger needs, could you imagine the shit they would have taken for trading up in draft and drafting a RB. This site alone would have blown up. We've done pretty damn good without Bell and saved 14.5 million, now Conner injured and the armchair idiots start chiming in. Its on Bell, I hope he crashes his fukking jet ski.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So the Steelers had 3 non-scoring drives to open the second half.

Drive #1 - 4 rushes and 4 passes
    Drive #2 - 2 passes and 1 run. Then a holding penalty and then a sack.
    Drive #3 - 1 run and 2 passes

Not exactly a pass wacky situation. 6 rushing calls and 8 passing calls. That is balance in 2018.

It is interesting how a narrative takes hold and can not be rooted out despite like facts and stuff. The Steelers offense was fantastically ineffective for 4 out of 10 drives. And a 5th resulted in a boneheaded INT by the franchise.

But an initial pass through the game book and lack of called plays to the RB wasn't the problem. It was the inability of the pass game to convert on 3rd and medium yardage.
    That was a bad play by AV. No doubt. It was the turning point of the game, because it led to the sack and the punt return for a TD.

More importantly, on the opening drive of the second half, the Steelers were driving. Conner gets pushed out of bounds at the San Diego 26 yard line. FG range... and momentum (probably a TD). Instead, a phantom holding call on Foster kills the drive.

If the Steelers could have gone up by 23 (or even 19) the Chargers would have abandoned the run... and the one thing the Steelers defense does well is play well against a one-dimensional offense that has to pass on every down. Alas...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Trey Edmunds might be a nice surprise, I'm wondering how a RB with his measurables didn't get drafted at least late

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Trey Edmunds might be a nice surprise, I'm wondering how a RB with his measurables didn't get drafted at least late
    Stop.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That was a bad play by AV. No doubt. It was the turning point of the game, because it led to the sack and the punt return for a TD.

More importantly, on the opening drive of the second half, the Steelers were driving. Conner gets pushed out of bounds at the San Diego 26 yard line. FG range... and momentum (probably a TD). Instead, a phantom holding call on Foster kills the drive.

If the Steelers could have gone up by 23 (or even 19) the Chargers would have abandoned the run... and the one thing the Steelers defense does well is play well against a one-dimensional offense that has to pass on every down. Alas...
    EDIT:
    Conner had a 26-yard run negated. It would have been first down at the 22. That phantom hold was a difference of 36 yards.

Normally, these things even out. I figured that th refs would “give” the Steelers this “hold”, considering that they blew a far, far, faaar more obvious false-start by the Chargers’ RT.

Alas...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Probably a blessing in disguise that Conner misses a game so we can see what we have in Samuels with an extended workload. Hopefully JC gets back for the Pats.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think Samuels will do fine, he looks like a hard punishing runner that can pick up the hard yards. This is probably the best game to have him carry the load, the Raiders run def is terrible, will give him a lot of confidence if he does well and maybe Conner needs the week off also.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Stop.
    why ?

he after all made the Saints roster at RB and they have quite a bit of talent there ...

not only made the roster but got a hat all 16 weeks ....

it didnt turn unto many opportunities but in the regular season but just being active is a pretty decent statement when you have Ingram and Kamara on the roster ...

special teams is a given , he is very good st player
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I'm just glad Frenchy is not brought back.

You all realize he is the 3rd Edmunds brother, right? Likely given a flier based on athletic talent and the fact that his brother is on the team.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Firstly, IF Bell did come back and was injured last week, the media would spin why we should have never given money to a guy that rarely makes it through a season... Tomlin's run the wheels off game plans... or ZMOG, the Steelers don't have a decent running back to take his place. Conner hasn't proven he can carry a start. They should have planned better. So, imo nothing is different with their narrative just because it's Conner that is down instead.

Having said that, I hope Samuels is up to the task because he really doesn't have that many carries... even in his college career. So, his entire body of work at the position is limited. He's basically a glorified H-back that was primarily a pass catching TE and was probably drafted as a red zone toy for Ben. Not necessarily to be a back-up RB... And even though he caught that TD last week, the bobble was a little worrisome at the time.

I figure Tomlin's gonna have to take Ridley out of the doghouse and challenge him with the opportunity to prove he can be effective... and hold on to the ball. I think he'll be in there more than many would think or probably even like.

Stop.
    Why? Look at his pro day measurables, he's talent wise on par with any back that was selected in the 1st-3rd rounds. It wouldn't be a reach to pick someone like that as a 6th or 7th rounder.

In any case he looked decent in his time with the Saints, looks like another straight ahead runner that runs with power, similar to Conner. Also seems to have decent hands. All I'm saying is if given a shot, it's not unrealistic to think he can produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Why? Look at his pro day measurables, he's talent wise on par with any back that was selected in the 1st-3rd rounds. It wouldn't be a reach to pick someone like that as a 6th or 7th rounder.

In any case he looked decent in his time with the Saints, looks like another straight ahead runner that runs with power, similar to Conner. Also seems to have decent hands. All I'm saying is if given a shot, it's not unrealistic to think he can produce.
    no, no, no, no no. we don't need to get overly excited at this point in the season about players with "good measurables". If he was that good, he would've been on the roster over Ridley. He went 9 carries for 48 yards and a TD in his rookie season with the Saints. Not impressive considering one run was 41 yards for a TD.

I think a lot of people given a shot can produce behind the Steelers O-Line. I'd be more impressed if they signed Kenjon Barner to use him against the Patriots...lol.

no, no, no, no no. we don't need to get overly excited at this point in the season about players with "good measurables". If he was that good, he would've been on the roster over Ridley. He went 9 carries for 48 yards and a TD in his rookie season with the Saints. Not impressive considering one run was 41 yards for a TD.

I think a lot of people given a shot can produce behind the Steelers O-Line. I'd be more impressed if they signed Kenjon Barner to use him against the Patriots...lol.
    Ah, gotcha. In any case it does look like Samuels is the #2 with some Ridley. Edmunds if he plays means we're really thin and is bad news