Thread: College Football Playoff set

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

College Football Playoff set

1. Alabama
    2.Clemson
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Oklahoma

The committee got it right

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: College Football Playoff set

I would have put Ok #3 and ND #4.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Go Irish!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I would have put Ok #3 and ND #4.
    Lol... a team that gives up 40+ points a game 4 weeks in a row...

Senior Member Array title="saturdaysarebetter will become famous soon enough">

Giving up 40 points to Kansas, Kansas!, should have automatically eliminated Oklahoma from playoff consideration.

I thought the committee's purpose was to pick the four best teams to put into the playoffs, not the teams that had the four best seasons.

If it's the four best seasons, then in the future every team should load up on cupcakes and take away the possibility of a non-conference loss, like Washington did in 2016 and made the playoffs. Why take the risk?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Go Irish!

- - - Updated - - -

Lol... a team that gives up 40+ points a game 4 weeks in a row...
    Yes I know. I think ND is probably the better team but it has been a point of emphasis before to at least play in a conference championship game. (Schools not named Alabama)
    That is the only reason I would have put ND at #4. Trying to keep some measure of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by saturdaysarebetter View Post
    Giving up 40 points to Kansas, Kansas!, should have automatically eliminated Oklahoma from playoff consideration.

I thought the committee's purpose was to pick the four best teams to put into the playoffs, not the teams that had the four best seasons.

If it's the four best seasons, then in the future every team should load up on cupcakes and take away the possibility of a non-conference loss, like Washington did in 2016 and made the playoffs. Why take the risk?
    Who would you have put in. I would have liked to have UCF but operating under the assumption that they were not in consideration due to gropu of 5 bias (though I think the American Conference should be moved up into a power conference anyway since multiple teams from that conference have been ranked in the past few years), who else was there. After the top 3 they were only team to check all 3 of the following boxes: 1 loss, conference champ, not blown out

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yes I know. I think ND is probably the better team but it has been a point of emphasis before to at least play in a conference championship game. (Schools not named Alabama)
    That is the only reason I would have put ND at #4. Trying to keep some measure of consistency.
    If there were criteria for a conference championship game I would agree. But what good is a conference championship game to the format if you don't even have to win it to be included in the Final Four. We all know that Alabama would have been picked if they'd lost to Georgia, just like last year.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO the format needs 8 teams. It would not be too much of a toll of their education. 1-AA has done it for decades with 16 teams and their education is just as important as the 1-A players.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Who would you have put in. I would have liked to have UCF but operating under the assumption that they were not in consideration due to gropu of 5 bias (though I think the American Conference should be moved up into a power conference anyway since multiple teams from that conference have been ranked in the past few years), who else was there. After the top 3 they were only team to check all 3 of the following boxes: 1 loss, conference champ, not blown out
    UCF deserved the last spot, IMO. Back to back undefeated seasons, back to back conference championships, and last year’s Peach Bowl victory, is not a fluke. If UCF beats LSU in the Fiesta Bowl this year it still won’t mean anything to the committee though. Last bowl season the Power5 conferences EACH recieved $60M to $85M for post season play. The Group of 5 conferences recieve $82M to share.

I would also love to see any one of the 4 playoff teams schedule UCF to kick off next season.

UCF deserved the last spot, IMO. Back to back undefeated seasons, back to back conference championships, and last year’s Peach Bowl victory, is not a fluke. If UCF beats LSU in the Fiesta Bowl this year it still won’t mean anything to the committee though. Last bowl season the Power5 conferences EACH recieved $60M to $85M for post season play. The Group of 5 conferences recieve $82M to share.

I would also love to see any one of the 4 playoff teams schedule UCF to kick off next season.
    I would have liked to see UCF also, especially if their QB was healthy. That said, they didn't beat anybody who was good this year. Their schedule was horrific.

Senior Member Array title="saturdaysarebetter will become famous soon enough">

If the committee's true intent is to pick the best four teams, then they should have picked Georgia over Oklahoma.
    If the committee is going to reward the best four seasons, then it's Oklahoma over Georgia. I was always under the impression, the committee was to pick the best four teams.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Georgia May be the second best team in the country...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Georgia had their chance and they blew it yet again. You need to be punished for losing

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I would have liked to see UCF also, especially if their QB was healthy. That said, they didn't beat anybody who was good this year. Their schedule was horrific.
    Apples to apples comparison. This year UCF beat Pitt by nearly 30. #3 ND beat Pitt by 3. Is that part of the eye test also? Old Dominion beat VaTech. There is a reason they actually play the games rather than just vote on who they think should win. Whatever excuses for keeping non power 5 schools out of the playoffs are 100% opinion.

Alabama was tied with the Citadel at halftime too. Lol.