Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben - “I’ve earned the right” to criticize teammates

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ben - Ive earned the right to criticize teammates

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Maybe you believe yelling at receivers during the game is the same as going on sports talk radio Tuesday morning to drop bombs but I respectfully disagree

As far as coverage & interest, Atlanta has pretty much the same media set up as Pittsburgh - monopoly newspaper (AJC compared to P-G), two sports talk stations (do not know if Pitt has 2 or just the one Ben spouts off on), local TV for all major networks, local bureau of The Athletic that covers local teams, ESPN.com coverage. As far as passive reporting, Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac of the P-G are not exactly the Woodward & Bernstein of aggressive local NFL coverage

Main difference is the local Atlanta market is 5.5 million metro rather than 2 million metro population like Pittsburgh (the two metros were the same size when I moved to Atlanta in the 80s) - so it is not as if the Falcons play in a backwater like Jacksonville with a small fan base and the media just reports game highlights

As far as Ryan going after Shanahan's play calling after a bitter Super Bowl loss (which Ryan at least tried to clean up at the start of the next season), that was a day at the beach compared to Ben's passive aggressive behavior with Coach Todd for six freaking seasons.

Bottom line is Ben is a great QB (certainly better than Ryan) but also someone who likes to share his views and has thrown off quotable stuff of sometimes dubious credibility since his rookie year more than other QBs - he got into it with Cowher after the "broken toes" in his first season and it has gone on from there

But he didnt drop bombs. Saying a receiver should flatten a route or God forbid not dive is far from dropping bombs...lol.

Atlantas Fan Base is no where near that of the Steelers.

Haley clearly has had issues with all his players. But not really a point of the conversation. No need to derail. Point is...Ben Criticizes. Ryan Criticizes. Doesnt matter who or what. Plain and simple. Bens also a better QB than Ryan so maybe Ryan should criticize more...or maybe hes satisfied with not being great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Ben - “I’ve earned the right” to criticize teammates

Radio Ben should have criticized himself first for the interception late in the third quarter.
    Up by 7, and driving to take control of the game, he throws a pick that completely changes the momentum.
    Conner then adds to it with his fumble.
    Then, the icing on the cake is his (or was it Fichtner’s) interception at the end of the game.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Ben - Ive earned the right to criticize teammates

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    But he didnt drop bombs. Saying a receiver should flatten a route or God forbid not dive is far from dropping bombs...lol.

Atlantas Fan Base is no where near that of the Steelers.

Haley clearly has had issues with all his players. But not really a point of the conversation. No need to derail. Point is...Ben Criticizes. Ryan Criticizes. Doesnt matter who or what. Plain and simple. Bens also a better QB than Ryan so maybe Ryan should criticize more...or maybe hes satisfied with not being great.

Ben doesn't drop fart bombs, he specializes in the drive-by fart bomb. You know like when you're at work and someone rips one as they walk by and keeps on going while you're left with a lingering fart.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

Ben doesn't drop fart bombs, he specializes in the drive-by fart bomb. You know like when you're at work and someone rips one as they walk by and keeps on going while you're left with a lingering fart.
    Ben's stomach earns the right to fart once in a while. BTW, when Ben left the game the other day, someone in our local Steelers group said they thought he went to take a dump.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The old crop dust method. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Ben's stomach earns the right to fart once in a while. BTW, when Ben left the game the other day, someone in our local Steelers group said they thought he went to take a dump.
    Was definitely #1. Too fast to be a #2 with that equipment on.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

But he didn’t drop “bombs”. Saying a receiver should flatten a route or God forbid “not dive” is far from dropping bombs...lol.

Atlanta’s Fan Base is no where near that of the Steelers.

Haley clearly has had issues with all his players. But not really a point of the conversation. No need to derail. Point is...Ben Criticizes. Ryan Criticizes. Doesn’t matter who or what. Plain and simple. Ben’s also a better QB than Ryan so maybe Ryan should criticize more...or maybe he’s satisfied with not being great.
    You seemed to indicate Ryan gets softer local coverage unlike the supposedly aggressive Pittsburgh sports media with Ben then shift it to which team has the more devoted fan base

Move the goalposts wherever you want and thanks for educating me on how much I did not know about Atlanta and the Falcons

I will attribute my impression Ben is an outlier for how chatty he gets with the media about the shortcomings of his teammates to my lack of information

Ben - Ive earned the right to criticize teammates

No. Its been the same Narrative all along. Pittsburgh has more
    Followers, more fan base, more coverage, therefore these type of stories have more legs than those from Atlanta/Matt Ryan would. Ben is more of a media personality, interest story than Matt Ryan...lol. Its actually not even close.

Your welcome. Its really not that hard a concept to understand if youve followed Ben throughout his career and the development of the NFL and media over time.

But for the sake of time...Ill agree. Nobody/No QB (good QB) calls anyone else out...especially a teammate that shouldnt dive or a WR that should flatten a route. Gosh darn thats some harsh shit there...lol. And he did it on a radio show...lol.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

No. Its been the same Narrative all along. Pittsburgh has more
    Followers, more fan base, more coverage, therefore these type of stories have more legs than those from Atlanta/Matt Ryan would. Ben is more of a media personality, interest story than Matt Ryan...lol. Its actually not even close.

Your welcome. Its really not that hard a concept to understand if youve followed Ben throughout his career and the development of the NFL and media over time.

But for the sake of time...Ill agree. Nobody/No QB (good QB) calls anyone else out...especially a teammate that shouldnt dive or a WR that should flatten a route. Gosh darn thats some harsh shit there...lol. And he did it on a radio show...lol.
    Some others disagree with your position but they only follow the league for a living.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/ben-...ance?ls=pftvod

Safe to say we are not going to change each other's views on this

But NBC is happy Ben gave Dungy and Harrison a topic for discussion on the Sunday night pregame show

Its a non-story that people are giving legs. Its actually quite funny how everyday comments are getting blown out of proportion. Not really sure two more harmless things could be said to garner such attention.

Guess Ben shoulda said AB ran a great route that gave him no chance to catch a pass and wow that was quite the dive by Washington. Too bad he didnt catch it. Darn.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Sanders is right.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Ah, Sanders - another one who couldn't catch a cold when he was in the B&G.

And of course, the "consummate leader" (according to Sanders) Peyton Manning NEVER passed the buck or threw his teammates under the bus in public after a loss.

Yo, Emmanuel, don't look now but your team is 5-6, 3rd in its division and still on the outside looking in as far as playoff seeding is concerned, so you really ought to tend to your own knitting...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Actually listen/read what Ben said -- most commentators don't seem to have -- and it is some pretty benign stuff. He basically indicates him an AB talk about how to freelance and adjust routes on RPO plays. Imagine the hue and cry if they didn't do that?

"Looking at it on film, I can't tell if he would've caught it or not, obviously, but he did undercut AB. So who knows what would've happened? That's where I talk to AB, like, 'AB, you have to come flat. You can't drift in the end zone, because those undercuts can happen.' So would the guy have had a chance? Yes, I definitely think he would've had a chance. I can't control that guy. I can only control the safety and if he comes and takes the run away, I can throw it over his head."

That isn't exactly throwing AB under the bus. He simply said that the play situation caused him to believe the best opportunity was to try and put the ball in a spot his all world WR would beat the DB to. If Ben and AB weren't thinking of the same spot -- that is what Ben's comments are directed at. He later goes on to say that he should've thrown the ball away.

For Washington, he is relating what happened in film study and criticism that has already been directed towards Washington by multiple coaches and Ben himself in the privacy of the locker room:

"I think he just didn't trust his hands. For some reason he jumped/drove. I'm not really sure what he's doing. We looked at it. Coach got on him pretty good yesterday. We took a long hard look at it. James just needs to run through it, and it's a touchdown. ... James, he needs to make that play. Yes, he's a rookie, but you cant be out there if you're not gonna make those plays for us." "When I said 'confidence,' I think he needs to have confidence in himself. I think when you leave your feet for a ball that you don't need to leave your feet for — it's not just me, this is, I think, if you ask receivers, if you ask coaches, if you ask people around the NFL — it's the same sort of thing if you talk about a DB who's having issues intercepting a ball, they're trying to catch it with their chest or their body, right?
    “When receivers are having issues, they're trying to catch it in their bellies instead of trusting their hands, right? When you trust and you have confidence in yourself, you use your hands and you catch the ball. I just felt like when he jumped and dove, whatever you want to call it, that just to me show showed a lack of confidence in himself and his hands. I have the confidence in him. I mean, I wouldn't have thrown it to him if I didn't. He needs to just have the trust and confidence in himself, and he needs to bounce back, right? We need him to bounce back and make some plays this week for us."

That isn't exactly torching a guy. I mean, I wish my supervisors criticized me that gently.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Ah, Sanders - another one who couldn't catch a cold when he was in the B&G.

And of course, the "consummate leader" (according to Sanders) Peyton Manning NEVER passed the buck or threw his teammates under the bus in public after a loss.

His hands sure improved in Denver! I always liked Sanders good player and attitude and has something AB doesn't. Sadly, I doubt AB will get a ring in Pittsburgh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Actually listen/read what Ben said -- most commentators don't seem to have -- and it is some pretty benign stuff. He basically indicates him an AB talk about how to freelance and adjust routes on RPO plays. Imagine the hue and cry if they didn't do that?

"Looking at it on film, I can't tell if he would've caught it or not, obviously, but he did undercut AB. So who knows what would've happened? That's where I talk to AB, like, 'AB, you have to come flat. You can't drift in the end zone, because those undercuts can happen.' So would the guy have had a chance? Yes, I definitely think he would've had a chance. I can't control that guy. I can only control the safety and if he comes and takes the run away, I can throw it over his head."

That isn't exactly throwing AB under the bus. He simply said that the play situation caused him to believe the best opportunity was to try and put the ball in a spot his all world WR would beat the DB to. If Ben and AB weren't thinking of the same spot -- that is what Ben's comments are directed at. He later goes on to say that he should've thrown the ball away.

For Washington, he is relating what happened in film study and criticism that has already been directed towards Washington by multiple coaches and Ben himself in the privacy of the locker room:

"I think he just didn't trust his hands. For some reason he jumped/drove. I'm not really sure what he's doing. We looked at it. Coach got on him pretty good yesterday. We took a long hard look at it. James just needs to run through it, and it's a touchdown. ... James, he needs to make that play. Yes, he's a rookie, but you cant be out there if you're not gonna make those plays for us." "When I said 'confidence,' I think he needs to have confidence in himself. I think when you leave your feet for a ball that you don't need to leave your feet for — it's not just me, this is, I think, if you ask receivers, if you ask coaches, if you ask people around the NFL — it's the same sort of thing if you talk about a DB who's having issues intercepting a ball, they're trying to catch it with their chest or their body, right?
    “When receivers are having issues, they're trying to catch it in their bellies instead of trusting their hands, right? When you trust and you have confidence in yourself, you use your hands and you catch the ball. I just felt like when he jumped and dove, whatever you want to call it, that just to me show showed a lack of confidence in himself and his hands. I have the confidence in him. I mean, I wouldn't have thrown it to him if I didn't. He needs to just have the trust and confidence in himself, and he needs to bounce back, right? We need him to bounce back and make some plays this week for us."

That isn't exactly torching a guy. I mean, I wish my supervisors criticized me that gently.

Do they do it privately or go on your local PBS station and tell you?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

His hands sure improved in Denver! I always liked Sanders good player and attitude and has something AB doesn't.
    Something to be said for being lucky and in the right place at the right time...

Something to be said for being lucky and in the right place at the right time...
    True, Sanders seems very happy, AB not so much.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I don't live in Pittsburgh so have never heard the radio show. I hadn't read what Ben said until the post I quoted above. If thats all he said not sure how this makes news. If Washington's skin is that thin and cant take constructive criticism from a future hall of famer then he's got bigger problems in his future career. And this is coming from a guy who thinks Ben is a douche. Great QB though. I guess we don't have LB to talk about now so we need to fill in the time. I mean the guy has been on the field quite a bit recently and I cant think of one big play he has made all year. Bens right, the kid needs to have confidence and step up, maybe Bens smarter than I think which wouldn't be that tough since his IQ bar is pretty low IMO . This could be a turning point for the kid and he may actually produce through playoffs and SB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

His hands sure improved in Denver! I always liked Sanders good player and attitude and has something AB doesn't. Sadly, I doubt AB will get a ring in Pittsburgh.

- - - Updated - - -

[/B]
    That's the thing. It was done during film study and meetings between Ben, the other players, and coaches prior to the radio show. That couldn't be more clear. Then on the radio show Ben relates some of the things that were spoken about.

I can not believe we have gotten so conflict and confrontation adverse that this is even a thing. How this is bad I just can not wrap my head around. Both Washington and AB appear to have failed to perform fundamental job functions. They were critiqued in a self-scouting session by coaches and players and then the QB related an abbreviated version of that conversation. What's the big deal?

Again, remember when Ben basically leveled that EXACT same criticisms at Martavis Bryant and then Bryant went out and stormed through a series of games? No one cared then. So on a slow news cycle after a series of boring and predictable games over a holiday weekend, some national sportswriters decide to make this a "big" story to fill air time and now everyone is on here hyperventilating. Seriously?

This relates back to comments DeCastro made after the playoff lose last year. He referred to "some guys" -- like how is that any different? No one was confused or uncertain as to exactly who he was talking about. I mean, clearly, it was the 4th string offensive guard, right? C'mon. I just really think it is indescribably silly how fans and the media have convinced each other that athlete comments must fit in a narrow band or they are some how the verbal equivalents of hand grenades and may destroy whole teams and careers. If Ben had went on his radio show and said, "We looked at it on film and I have spoken with coaches and players about how to correct the mistakes that individuals made in key situations." Why is that so much different/better? Like is anyone really unsure of what situations and individuals that comment would be talking about? Please.

I can't believe this thread has 70+ comments in it and over 800 views. And I can't believe I get sucked into arguing about it. Especially when no one has provided a single potential tangible negative outcome? Other than maybe these dudes all wear the same uniform but might not like each other. If someone honestly thought that now James Washington was going to go and stop trying to get better or AB was going to start dropping passes because this is the root of some vendetta against Roethlisberger...I guess we might have a topic for discussion. But since NFL teams don't operate on "omerta", I don't think we have to worry about that.

I can not believe we have gotten so conflict and confrontation adverse that this is even a thing.
    Show me on the doll where...

Show me on the doll where...
    Right?

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/11/bi...-lot-of-plays/

I mean here he called Switzer "little" and "a booger" -- that's surely gonna make him sad.

He further says he makes mistakes, just not twice. Can't believe he called him out like that with such a back-handed compliment.

This team is "team drama" and is in danger of imploding. Forget a bye, they will be lucky to pull it together enough for the playoffs.

That's the thing. It was done during film study and meetings between Ben, the other players, and coaches prior to the radio show. That couldn't be more clear. Then on the radio show Ben relates some of the things that were spoken about.

I can not believe we have gotten so conflict and confrontation adverse that this is even a thing. How this is bad I just can not wrap my head around. Both Washington and AB appear to have failed to perform fundamental job functions. They were critiqued in a self-scouting session by coaches and players and then the QB related an abbreviated version of that conversation. What's the big deal?

Again, remember when Ben basically leveled that EXACT same criticisms at Martavis Bryant and then Bryant went out and stormed through a series of games? No one cared then. So on a slow news cycle after a series of boring and predictable games over a holiday weekend, some national sportswriters decide to make this a "big" story to fill air time and now everyone is on here hyperventilating. Seriously?

This relates back to comments DeCastro made after the playoff lose last year. He referred to "some guys" -- like how is that any different? No one was confused or uncertain as to exactly who he was talking about. I mean, clearly, it was the 4th string offensive guard, right? C'mon. I just really think it is indescribably silly how fans and the media have convinced each other that athlete comments must fit in a narrow band or they are some how the verbal equivalents of hand grenades and may destroy whole teams and careers. If Ben had went on his radio show and said, "We looked at it on film and I have spoken with coaches and players about how to correct the mistakes that individuals made in key situations." Why is that so much different/better? Like is anyone really unsure of what situations and individuals that comment would be talking about? Please.

I can't believe this thread has 70+ comments in it and over 800 views. And I can't believe I get sucked into arguing about it. Especially when no one has provided a single potential tangible negative outcome? Other than maybe these dudes all wear the same uniform but might not like each other. If someone honestly thought that now James Washington was going to go and stop trying to get better or AB was going to start dropping passes because this is the root of some vendetta against Roethlisberger...I guess we might have a topic for discussion. But since NFL teams don't operate on "omerta", I don't think we have to worry about that.

Ben's normal drive-by comments, sleight of hand if you will. I have no problem with Ben speaking his mind with any player but it should be private, and if it's done in private what's the point in singling out a rookie on the radio? Why didn't he call out McDonald for dropping a TD in the EZ or Grimble's stupid play?

As for the comments and views of this thread, your's seem the most lengthy.
    Last edited by Shoes; 11-29-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I mean here he called Switzer "little" and "a booger" -- that's surely gonna make him sad.
    How dare he compares Switzer to Mark Sanchez.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Right?

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/11/bi...-lot-of-plays/

He further says he makes mistakes, just not twice. Can't believe he called him out like that with such a back-handed compliment.

This team is "team drama" and is in danger of imploding. Forget a bye, they will be lucky to pull it together enough for the playoffs.
    I know this is your tact and you are consistent with it. But sometimes you act as if it's just a "fan forum" thing. But teammates are commenting about it, so unless they're members on here (I'm really David Decastro), then silly or not, these things are a bigger issue than you downplay them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I know this is your tact and you are consistent with it. But sometimes you act as if it's just a "fan forum" thing. But teammates are commenting about it, so unless they're members on here (I'm really David Decastro), then silly or not, these things are a bigger issue than you downplay them to be.
    I haven't seen one report of team mates saying word one out about it. But then, I am not on Twitter or any other NFL related social media stuff. And further, are those reports because some media type shoved a recorder in a players face during an open media session and asked a question about Ben's comments OR did a player seek out a platform to respond? Those are two very very different things.

Players answering questions and making comments during a forced/mandatory open media session and players seeking out a platform to air out their grievances are not the same thing. All I ever see is Steelers players give a straight answer to a straight question; not leaking a bunch of stuff out on purpose.

And it isn't that it is a "fan forum" thing. It is about the level of importance of the "thing". This board, in particular, has elevated "drama" to about an 8 or 9 on a 10 point scale of importance of what impacts winning or losing football games. I think that kinda stuff is about a 4 at best. The top portion of the scale is (for me) reserved for actual scheme, tactics, roster talent, and execution.

I suspect that, honestly, this all rooted in my frustration that 90% of NFL reporting/analysis has ZERO to do with how the games are actually played. It is difficult, as a fan who can't want to spend hours watching/re-watching ALL-22 tape in front of my computer, to get concrete explanations why this team is finding success and this team isn't. Instead, we (meaning fans) get fed cliches and over-baked nonsense as to why teams are either meeting or falling short of expectations. Further, I truly believe this is because most people paid to talk/write/yell about the NFL have long since stopped putting in much work on it. They don't watch all the games, much less "break them down". It is increasingly clear, that they watch the NFL Redzone and some highlight packages and develop their "takes" from there. And then, it seems, like most NFL fans sagely nod their heads and buy-in that their team only needs to overcome "chemistry issues" or just "mesh" better and they will be in a SB or something.

Luck cuts both ways - IMO Sanders might have been a difference maker if he had not broken his foot early in the Green Bay Super Bowl - AB was not yet ready to step in on plays Arians claimed had been set up for Sanders

I haven't seen one report of team mates saying word one out about it.
    “Maybe it’s his way of challenging guys, letting them know we’re not perfect as a team,” Steelers guard Ramon Foster said of Roethlisberger (via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review).

“He’s a 15-year vet. He’s a Hall of Famer. What makes it that he can’t say something, but the guys that sit on TV can say something?” Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey said of Roethlisberger.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.7a05ac8e4603

“You take it for what it is, man,” Steelers receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey said. “Everybody has different ways to encourage guys or to get guys going. You hear what he has to say, whether it’s in front of you or in the media, and you just try to get better because each and every day is a battle for every guy in here to prove themselves, not only to the coaching staff but to your teammates.”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...-should-listen

“Talking about a Hall of Fame guy who’s played 15 years here, who’s won Super Bowls,” DeCastro said. “So people listen. You respect that resume and what he has to say. No doubt.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201811280188

“With him being the captain of this team, he has freedom of speech as well as we all do,” Washington said

https://clutchpoints.com/steelers-ne...out-teammates/

My recollection is that Friday is the day AB deigns to address the media rabble so we will find out if he crosses everyone up and says nothing.

Nobody demanded to be heard. But nobody had to answer any questions if the QB does not stir up stuff.

I suspect that, honestly, this all rooted in my frustration that 90% of NFL reporting/analysis has ZERO to do with how the games are actually played. It is difficult, as a fan who can't want to spend hours watching/re-watching ALL-22 tape in front of my computer, to get concrete explanations why this team is finding success and this team isn't. Instead, we (meaning fans) get fed cliches and over-baked nonsense as to why teams are either meeting or falling short of expectations. Further, I truly believe this is because most people paid to talk/write/yell about the NFL have long since stopped putting in much work on it. They don't watch all the games, much less "break them down". It is increasingly clear, that they watch the NFL Redzone and some highlight packages and develop their "takes" from there. And then, it seems, like most NFL fans sagely nod their heads and buy-in that their team only needs to overcome "chemistry issues" or just "mesh" better and they will be in a SB or something.
    It is a business and the business is to maximize viewers/page hits.

The NFL is delighted to sell GamePass for $99 to purists who want to watch the coaches 22 but catering to only fans who may pay for premium subscriptions to Pro Football Focus is not going to max out revenue anymore than folks who read hearings transcripts and drafts of legislation are going to fund a viable media strategy to cover national politics. Articles are written for online and (now much less often) print to max out page hits/readers. ESPN used to have a very good Sunday morning show with Ron Jaworski breaking down video. ESPN dumped that show (along with Jaworski) to expand the NFL Sunday pregame chucklefest for another hour because it draws more viewers and higher revenue for ads.

The NBA is the leader in having the players boost ratings through their personal stories/beefs (e.g. Draymond Green v Kevin Durant several weeks ago). MLB is the worst with the commissioner going after the best player in baseball (Mike Trout) last summer for not seeking a higher media profile. The NFL also wants to play that game and stories about which players allegedly are beefing with their coaches or teammates achieves that goal.

Goodell is probably delighted to have a high profile player like Ben stir the pot on a recurring basis with his radio appearances almost as much as is he is with games that have both teams scoring in the 50s.

It's all about the Benjamins.

- - - Updated - - -

[/B]
    Its part of a discussion. Not Ben criticizing the receivers. It's not hard to understand. If the title of the article is: Roethlisberger Reviews Pass Plays On Radio Show, it's a non-story...lol.

Its part of a discussion. Not Ben criticizing the receivers. It's not hard to understand. If the title of the article is: Roethlisberger Reviews Pass Plays On Radio Show, it's a non-story...lol.

You are correct those drive-by farts by Ben are pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    “Maybe it’s his way of challenging guys, letting them know we’re not perfect as a team,” Steelers guard Ramon Foster said of Roethlisberger (via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review).

“He’s a 15-year vet. He’s a Hall of Famer. What makes it that he can’t say something, but the guys that sit on TV can say something?” Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey said of Roethlisberger.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.7a05ac8e4603

“You take it for what it is, man,” Steelers receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey said. “Everybody has different ways to encourage guys or to get guys going. You hear what he has to say, whether it’s in front of you or in the media, and you just try to get better because each and every day is a battle for every guy in here to prove themselves, not only to the coaching staff but to your teammates.”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...-should-listen

“Talking about a Hall of Fame guy who’s played 15 years here, who’s won Super Bowls,” DeCastro said. “So people listen. You respect that resume and what he has to say. No doubt.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201811280188

“With him being the captain of this team, he has freedom of speech as well as we all do,” Washington said

https://clutchpoints.com/steelers-ne...out-teammates/

My recollection is that Friday is the day AB deigns to address the media rabble so we will find out if he crosses everyone up and says nothing.

Nobody demanded to be heard. But nobody had to answer any questions if the QB does not stir up stuff.

It is a business and the business is to maximize viewers/page hits.

The NFL is delighted to sell GamePass for $99 to purists who want to watch the coaches 22 but catering to only fans who may pay for premium subscriptions to Pro Football Focus is not going to max out revenue anymore than folks who read hearings transcripts and drafts of legislation are going to fund a viable media strategy to cover national politics. Articles are written for online and (now much less often) print to max out page hits/readers. ESPN used to have a very good Sunday morning show with Ron Jaworski breaking down video. ESPN dumped that show (along with Jaworski) to expand the NFL Sunday pregame chucklefest for another hour because it draws more viewers and higher revenue for ads.

The NBA is the leader in having the players boost ratings through their personal stories/beefs (e.g. Draymond Green v Kevin Durant several weeks ago). MLB is the worst with the commissioner going after the best player in baseball (Mike Trout) last summer for not seeking a higher media profile. The NFL also wants to play that game and stories about which players allegedly are beefing with their coaches or teammates achieves that goal.

Goodell is probably delighted to have a high profile player like Ben stir the pot on a recurring basis with his radio appearances almost as much as is he is with games that have both teams scoring in the 50s.

It's all about the Benjamins.
    So other prominent team members support the decision and actions? That would seem to run counter to the popular media and message board narrative.

Your commentary on what drives media coverage and priorities when it comes to the NFL is spot on and excellent, as is typical for your postings. I agree with all of what you have presented. I fully understand that it is not going to change and move towards more nuts and bolts analytical stuff. That is why I consume almost zero major network and website NFL coverage - because it is largely useless and immaterial. I haven't watched a pregame show in maybe a decade.

But the other side of that coin is that just because a "narrative" is pushed out to generate views/clicks/discussion or whatever does not mean I have to buy that it is either relevant or important. This has been a 2-3 day cycle of stories on this issue and it has ZERO impact on the Steelers being able to beat the Chargers on Sunday night. It also has little to do with the actual reasons the team lost the Broncos game. Don't turn the ball over the other 3 times and there is no endzone interception to end the game and the team likely walks out with about a 30+ to 20 something victory.

Very long story short. If the Steelers turned the ball over less and actually generated meaningful takeaways on defense, they would be likely 9-2 or whatever the math works out to with the Ravens and Chiefs games being the only losses. That is the more relevant and useful story for understanding the won/loss record of the 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers. It is about field position, turnover margin, and not being able to defend empty sets. Very little, if anything, has to do with the attitude and commentary of the players.