Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Confidence Level in this Team for the Playoffs?

Re: What's Your Confidence Level in this Team for the Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Sean Davis is a hit?
    Yes. Despite what people expect, to be considered a hit by NFL standards in the first couple of rounds, you simply need to log snaps as the normal starter for a significant amount of time. He's done that already.

Moreover, since he's moved to his natural position, his grading has gone up by pretty much all counts. He's considered at least above average. While he hasn't hit the big free-safety plays teams want, he also hasn't bombed anything. In fact, I'd say that outside of Hilton, he's been the most dependable DB the Steelers have, and that includes Haden and Burnett.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Specifically for defense:

2018 Round 1 Edmunds. Too early, but looks like it may be a hit.
    2017 Round 1 T.J. Watt. Hit.
    2016 Round 1 Artie Burns. Miss.
    2016 Round 2 Sean Davis. Hit.
    2015 Round 1 Bud Dupree. Meh. Call it a miss.
    2015 Round 2 Golson. Miss (due to health, not talent evaluation).
    2014 Round 1 Shazier. Hit.
    2014 Round 2 Tuitt. Hit.
    2013 Round 1 Jones. Miss
    2011 Round 1 Heyward. Hit
    2010 Round 2 Worilds. Miss.

Hit: 6
    Miss: 5 (but including Golson, which is unfair as we're talking talent evaluation, and Dupree, who is just now starting to show something).

That equals a 55 percent hit factor, pretty much inline with league average. And, again, that's with us drafting very low. In fact, three of the 5 misses were drafts when we were picking in the bottom 1/3rd of that round.
    You call Golson a miss due to health reasons, not talent.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion?
    He never played.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Bingo.

(Because of health).
    No Bingo...you didn’t check your card carefully.
    He never played a game to display what his NFL talent level was.
    What do you base Golson’s NFL talent on?
    His college career?

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    No Bingo...you didn’t check your card carefully.
    He never played a game to display what his NFL talent level was.
    What do you base Golson’s NFL talent on?
    His college career?
    ???????????????

You're answering your own question. He is a pass (miss due to health reasons) because there is a lack of evidence to whether he had NFL talent or not. He did not play. Therefore, we do not know his talent level, therefore, he counts neither as a hit or a miss. He's nullified. He affects the count no more. He forever lays on the center of the hit-miss teeter-totter, he boarded the Hospital train and missed the NFL Express.

tl;dr Bingo.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Confidence level for the playoffs?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Confidence level for the playoffs?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Playoffs??? Don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin me? PLAYOFFS? I just hope the Steelers can win a game, another game

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Playoffs??? Don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin me? PLAYOFFS? I just hope the Steelers can win a game, another game
    In my opinion, that SUCKED!

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Specifically for defense:

2018 Round 1 Edmunds. Too early, but looks like it may be a hit.
    2017 Round 1 T.J. Watt. Hit.
    2016 Round 1 Artie Burns. Miss.
    2016 Round 2 Sean Davis. Hit.
    2015 Round 1 Bud Dupree. Meh. Call it a miss.
    2015 Round 2 Golson. Miss (due to health, not talent evaluation).
    2014 Round 1 Shazier. Hit.
    2014 Round 2 Tuitt. Hit.
    2013 Round 1 Jones. Miss
    2011 Round 1 Heyward. Hit
    2010 Round 2 Worilds. Miss.

Hit: 6
    Miss: 5 (but including Golson, which is unfair as we're talking talent evaluation, and Dupree, who is just now starting to show something).

That equals a 55 percent hit factor, pretty much inline with league average. And, again, that's with us drafting very low. In fact, three of the 5 misses were drafts when we were picking in the bottom 1/3rd of that round.
    Well with all that talent, we'll go back to something that tends to get me trashed. The coaches suck! If all the talent is a hit then the coaches are total crap

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Well with all that talent, we'll go back to something that tends to get me trashed. The coaches suck! If all the talent is a hit then the coaches are total crap

Not saying it's a top-level talent. Just that according to NFL standards, we got serviceable players for the rounds we picked them in. There seems to be a myth (I'm talking in general, not to you, NCSteeler) that first round players should be NFL elite and if they aren't then the team missed. And, that all a team needs are three or four elite players for a team to win the SB. Neither are true.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don’t think this team can win a Super Bowl...not the one that played today. They just don’t play consistent, they’re very sloppy and seem unorganized at times. Coaching is horrible and the kicker is far from dependable...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I don’t think this team can win a Super Bowl...not the one that played today. They just don’t play consistent, they’re very sloppy and seem unorganized at times. Coaching is horrible and the kicker is far from dependable...
    Horrible? I just don't get it. They did so much right today. It's as if we expect either perfection or everyone sucks and needs to be fired. I mean, how many teams have ever shut down Gronk? How many have kept Brady to 1 TD?

Personally, I think they played veryconsistent today.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Horrible? I just don't get it.

They did so much right today. It's as if we expect either perfection or everyone sucks and needs to be fired. I mean, how many teams have ever shut down Gronk? How many have kept Brady to 1 TD?

If Brady scored and won in the last drive would your post still have been positive?

Regardless, I am ecstatic we are still in the thick of things!
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Or in the AFC you can go with: a Chiefs team that was lucky to beat the Ravens and blew a 14 point mid-4th quarter lead to the Chargers; the Texans; the Pats with their 3-5 road record; the Colts; the Ravens that run 60% of the timeor the Chargers who may spend their playoffs on the road

Every AFC team has significant flaws - only team I have real confidence in right now is the Saints

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

There is too much stalling out when they could put the game out of reach.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Horrible? I just don't get it. They did so much right today. It's as if we expect either perfection or everyone sucks and needs to be fired. I mean, how many teams have ever shut down Gronk? How many have kept Brady to 1 TD?

A lot of teams have shut down Gronk and just to name a few this season, Detroit, KC, BUF, GB, Tennessee, Minnesota and Pittsburgh have all held TB12 to 1TD...and that’s just this season. Just for fun, 5 teams have held Gronk under 50 yards this season. It’s not that uncommon nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Or in the AFC you can go with: a Chiefs team that was lucky to beat the Ravens and blew a 14 point mid-4th quarter lead to the Chargers; the Texans; the Pats with their 3-5 road record; the Colts; the Ravens that run 60% of the timeor the Chargers who may spend their playoffs on the road

Every AFC team has significant flaws - only team I have real confidence in right now is the Saints
    Beyond Brees, Kamara and Thomas...the Saints pretty much have nothing...and they are hitting a very inconsistent streak as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    You really don't get it?

If Brady scored and won in the last drive would your post still have been positive?

Or critical of Ben / the offense for the turnovers and leaving so many points on the table?...

Yep. Even Romo remarked late in the 4th quarter "doesn't it seem like the Steelers should be up by at least 10-14 points?"

As good as the offense is, they still leave way too many points on the field. And that's a recipe for disaster with this defense.

Yep. Even Romo remarked late in the 4th quarter "doesn't it seem like the Steelers should be up by at least 10-14 points?"

As good as the offense is, they still leave way too many points on the field. And that's a recipe for disaster with this defense.
    Room is 100% right.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I agree about this game. There's really not much to complain about.

Ben threw one interception that was on him with the overthrow. The other was a fluky play where the Patriot defender is mauling JuJu into AB to cause the ball to pop in the air and of course go right to a Pats defender.

There were several pass interference penalties that weren't called on the Pats, but the WR's beat the defenders.

The defense definitely had a better game plan and came up with some big stops. The defensive front got a good amount of pressure, and there were a handful of obvious holding calls that should have been called against the Pats. In other words, the Steelers won the vast majority of the individual battles. They forced the Pats to commit some penalties, and the coaches had them in a position to succeed and win.

Boz missed a chip shot, but made a huuuuuuge kick to put them up 7. Could it help him turn the corner? You never know.

They played well in a big spot. You have to give them credit when they get it right.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

IMO Romo was great today

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

And so, the question continues . . .

I am so all over the place at this point. The team we saw play today can win the SB. The question is, will this team or last week's team show up to play next week?
    The team today that had so little offensive output. Nah, they gotta be able to win in the red zone

Merry Christmas

IMO Romo was great today
    Room by far is the best analyst out there. CBS made a great call switching from Simms to Romo. The way he dresses in the announcing both is great. I mentioned in the game day thread, but he looks like a college kid who picked his suit up off his floor and put it on...tie is always tied and he just throws it over his head and tightens it.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

IMO Romo was great today
    Romo got more excited than I did watching the last drive. He freaked out when Haden intercepted Brady

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Agreed Gary!

Thankfully we still (hopefully) have a few more games to work out the kinks.

Gary, do you think this team has the potential to win it all?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

Yes and no. It would have been positive still because it was a very well-coached team today that only got caught up a couple of times by a QB and coach that together are masters of causing confusion in other teams. No, because that last series where the Steelers held a team out of the endzone after giving up scores the last few weeks spotlighted changes made in this defense. That's not players doing it. That's coaches doing it. It wasn't as though the scheme was beat and a player just made an outstanding play on the ball. Brady didn't score because of scheme on that drive. It's why he had to throw the ball away twice at least. it's also why he tried to throw it away and got a pick instead on one of the previous drives.

Again, I'm only saying that if the team we saw today shows up for the rest of the season, we have a very good chance. Now, what do I think the chances of that happening are? Slim. And that, you can at least partially put on coaching. But today's game . . . gotta give it its due.