Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Confidence Level in this Team for the Playoffs?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: What's Your Confidence Level in this Team for the Playoffs?

I'm not worried and Romo said this is the most complete team in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I really don’t understand the mentality of actually NOT WANTING A PLAYOFF BYE. It makes no sense to me. We have NEVER gone to the super bowl when we’ve had to play Brady in NE. How does anyone think our chances INCREASE by having to play an extra game ( where we can not only lose right there, but it increases the chances for injuries) and then having to beat the #2 and #1 seed on the road.

In 2005 we got lucky with our playoff schedule. Someone else beat NE for us and the only unlikely win was in Indy.

Can we win from the #3 or #4 seed? Of course it’s possible, but it’s straight up WAY harder in every conceivable way than from the #2 seed. How is that even in question with anyone?

And I don’t buy the argument that Ben is suddenly better on the road than at home. The team got better as a group since losing at home to the Ravens, but that does not mean we’re suddenly better on the road. We TIED THE STUPID BROWNS on the road and played AWFUL against the Jags. We totally should have lost that game if not for getting VERY lucky that the Jags suck so bad on offense.

We are not more likely to win on the road in future games than we are at home. Does anyone REALLY not agree with this? Does anyone PREFER a road game to a home game, or really believe there is NO difference?

Anyone???

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

And sure, I’d love to say we’re gonna win the Super Bowl. But I don’t think it’s fair to judge people’s fan cred for being honest after a horrible loss like this. Chances are we will not go to the Super Bowl with the team playing the way they’ve been playing. Something needs to change. We simply can’t keep losing the TO battle and expect to over come that enough times to get to the Super Bowl. We just aren’t that lucky.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I still have a lot of confidence, although dropping this game probably makes the road a bit harder.

Between Boz's blocked FG, Grimble's brain cramp and Conner's fumble, they left at LEAST 13 (and very likely 17) points on the field. They make those 3 plays and this is a fairly comfortable road win against a team that is actually much better than its record would indicate and this thread more than likely isn't even started.

I'd imagine ball security will be the theme of the coming week in practice.
    I don't want to turn this into a hate thread, but I do honestly believe that is where really good coaching changes outcomes. Sloppiest game they have played all year let's assume it's anomaly.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    I don't want to turn this into a hate thread, but I do honestly believe that is where really good coaching changes outcomes. Sloppiest game they have played all year let's assume it's anomaly.

How does coaching change either Conner or Grimble's fumble? I am honestly asking. Please describe what a coaching staff could/should do. I mean are you envisioning one of those things from movies where a dude has to carry a ball around all day and everyone else tries to slap it out? Because if you are, that is ludicrous. But if you have a tangible idea...I guess email Tomlin?

I would grant you that the FG block was potentially poor coaching/film study since Denver has attempted to generate blocks this way before with previous success. Alternatively, Danny Smith could've drilled it into their heads and the long-snapper just didn't execute...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    After last weeks game and then this game, I have very little confidence. They have the talent, and the defense has stepped up. They barely allowed a 100 yard rusher against the top rushing team in the NFL. Denver's offense played mistake free and almost a perfect game.

However, it's the small mental mistakes by the skill positions on offense. Ben and his INTs, Conner and his drops and fumbles, Grimble and his costly fumble today. Switzer even got into the act today.

So, I see this as a one and done team. If they get lucky have a good game, perhaps a two and done team. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think so.

This team stops itself.

Craic,

You should have asked this question last week as some replies might have been different.

No, I do not have confidence in this team for the playoffs. In our last nine playoff game played, Tomlin coached teams have only won three of them.

If that sounds bad, two of the wins were vs. the Miami Dolphins back up quarterback Matt Moore, and the other vs the Cincinnati Bengals who self-destructed. No such jokers will be the 2019 AFC playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    How does coaching change either Conner or Grimble's fumble? I am honestly asking. Please describe what a coaching staff could/should do. I mean are you envisioning one of those things from movies where a dude has to carry a ball around all day and everyone else tries to slap it out? Because if you are, that is ludicrous. But if you have a tangible idea...I guess email Tomlin?

I would grant you that the FG block was potentially poor coaching/film study since Denver has attempted to generate blocks this way before with previous success. Alternatively, Danny Smith could've drilled it into their heads and the long-snapper just didn't execute...
    Denver has been very good at blocking kicks. They have guys known to strip the ball. Does that answer your question?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post

Denver has been very good at blocking kicks. They have guys known to strip the ball. Does that answer your question?
    Not at all. Unless we determine that other NFL teams don't strip the ball or attempt to block kicks.

Are you assuming that since the team had two fumbles and a kick blocked that these issues were not addressed in the lead up to the game? I mean, I guess that could be a thing if this team was run by a staff with a track record of losing. It isn't like Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson are running the show.

I mean read your statement. You imply that since X happened the coaching staff never mentioned or practiced ball security and kick blocking with the players. Is that seriously what you think?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

527 total yards of offense and 17 points sure don't give me the warm and fuzzy feelings, and to think that 7 of those points came from Boz passing to AV!

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

So coaching only has to do with the play call the presnap stuff, the best coaches always found a way to make a lousy third string te out preform his abilities. IDK what else to say it's an un measurable element of a coaches game. Grimble openly said he was trying to truck the guy instead of taking the easy cut to a wide open EZ. That is something that can be coached, do your damn job help the team don't worry about making the highlight real. well probably never agree but when players do bone headed crap I tend to blame the coaches.

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

It was low just after the game. But let’s see how the team rebounds. Ultimately Hard to answer this question until we see how the team finishes out the season, playoff positioning, injuries, who we play, and how we did against the pats, chargers and saints (those three will be good measuring sticks). Even if we won in Denver, the true tests are still to be played

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post

I'd argue the 1st game in Cleveland was sloppier with all those turnovers

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

My confidence level is higher today than it was week 1. WHEN they put a gameplan together and execute it this team is unstoppable. I still do not feel this is a SB contender this year based purely on the defense and the LB corps/RCB specifically. This offense can hang 40-50 on any team. That disguises most other warts though. I think this team can and should beat the Pats and Texans. Don't feel confident we have figured out how to stop the Chiefs yet. Wildcard teams(today), we are good enough to beat the Colts, Titans, Chargers, and Ravens. So it can happen just not that confident it will.

Junior Member Array title="Steel Warrior is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steel Warrior's Avatar

Playoffs? We might not even make the playoffs. If we go 2-3 ,lose to the Chargers, Pats, and Saints, which I think we will, then we go 9-6-1. If the Ravens and Colts both go 4-1, then they're both 10-6 and we're out. At this point we have to hope one of those teams goes 3-2. But, if we lose to the Chargers, Pats, and Saints then we probably shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Warrior View Post
    Playoffs? We might not even make the playoffs. If we go 2-3 ,lose to the Chargers, Pats, and Saints, which I think we will, then we go 9-6-1. If the Ravens and Colts both go 4-1, then they're both 10-6 and we're out. At this point we have to hope one of those teams goes 3-2. But, if we lose to the Chargers, Pats, and Saints then we probably shouldn't be in the playoffs.
    Don't worry, we'll beat all three and lose to the Raiders and Bengals.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Hard to see this team stringing three solid performances together with 2 of them likely requiring road wins in New England & KC

Not waking up until after the first quarter will not work against top shelf teams

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I predict the Steelers get the no. 4 seed and lose at home in the wildcard to the Chargers after getting torched by them. Best outcome for them is the divisional round and getting torched by the Chiefs instead of the Cheats yet again

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I really don’t understand the mentality of actually NOT WANTING A PLAYOFF BYE. It makes no sense to me. We have NEVER gone to the super bowl when we’ve had to play Brady in NE. How does anyone think our chances INCREASE by having to play an extra game ( where we can not only lose right there, but it increases the chances for injuries) and then having to beat the #2 and #1 seed on the road.

In 2005 we got lucky with our playoff schedule. Someone else beat NE for us and the only unlikely win was in Indy.

Can we win from the #3 or #4 seed? Of course it’s possible, but it’s straight up WAY harder in every conceivable way than from the #2 seed. How is that even in question with anyone?

And I don’t buy the argument that Ben is suddenly better on the road than at home. The team got better as a group since losing at home to the Ravens, but that does not mean we’re suddenly better on the road. We TIED THE STUPID BROWNS on the road and played AWFUL against the Jags. We totally should have lost that game if not for getting VERY lucky that the Jags suck so bad on offense.

We are not more likely to win on the road in future games than we are at home. Does anyone REALLY not agree with this? Does anyone PREFER a road game to a home game, or really believe there is NO difference?

Anyone???
    The Steelers had the #2 seed last year and still blew it. To a Jacksonville Team they lost to before and who hadn't been to the postseason in ten years. They also still couldn't beat New England at home. Brady has been dominant at Heinz just as much as he has been at Gilette.

But don't let those facts get in the way of the narrative.

The team who goes far in the postseason is the one who plays the best football when they need to. Get to the dance and we'll see what happens.

Ben's WTF play and horrendous turnovers continues to be a major achilles heel for this team. Limit those and they may have a chance.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

After the Texans won last night to get to 8-3 I looked at their remaining schedule

They should be favored over Browns, Colts, @Jets, & Jags with probably underdog @ Eagles

Worst case scenario is probably 11-5 & more likely 12-4

Steelers finishing 11-4-1 is probably best case - division win still looks solid since Ravens have @Chiefs and @Chargers

So get ready for a Chargers wild card rematch then hitting the road if they win that

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Wow amazing.....i'm almost speechless after reading some of these comments.The seeding has already been assigned,and how many games we will be playing on the road,what teams we will be traveling to,why we already lost,and we might as well not even bother playing any play-off game because we aren't good enough to win one anyway,that is unless we are a lucky team.And we will never win on the road anywhere in the play-offs.........even while being a pretty damn good team on the road.All the games we may have a chance to travel to(depending on luck of course) has been predetermined,with no chance of ANY team playing the ALREADY predetermined games to upset the ALREADY predetermined winner.What a bunch of freakin fair weather fans i'm witnessing.Sometimes i can't believe i follow the same team as some of you analytically skilled fans do.Pathetic to say the least.

p
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    Wow amazing.....i'm almost speechless after reading some of these comments.The seeding has already been assigned,and how many games we will be playing on the road,what teams we will be traveling to,why we already lost,and we might as well not even bother playing any play-off game because we aren't good enough to win one anyway,that is unless we are a lucky team.And we will never win on the road anywhere in the play-offs.........even while being a pretty damn good team on the road.All the games we may have a chance to travel to(depending on luck of course) has been predetermined,with no chance of ANY team playing the ALREADY predetermined games to upset the ALREADY predetermined winner.What a bunch of freakin fair weather fans i'm witnessing.Sometimes i can't believe i follow the same team as some of you analytically skilled fans do.Pathetic to say the leastp
    stay classy - it is a fan message board and speculation is part of what goes on here

Perhaps consider if personal attacks on other posters and USING ALL CAPS are going to bring someone around to your point of view

But if it upsets you that much use the ignore function to screen out posters that do not meet your standard

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The cat is about to be posted in 3....2.....1.....

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

I don't believe that i singled any ONE person out,and certainly stand by my post.It's my opinion and if it bothers anyone i could care less.I'm not one of those "politically correct"people anyway and i'm proud of it.My post is directed at NO individual on this board or the media.Well maybe thats not true.IT is directed at ALL who ALREADY have the play-off seeding already seemingly played out.And i know otherwise.What maybe 5 games left to play and seeding already planted? Sounds to me i have solid proof that anyone that falls into the preceded-seeding category is just blowing a lot of hot air.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The Texans have the #3 seed to lose at this point. Their remaining schedule is a cake walk (outside of the Colts who are playing well):

Browns (home)
    Colts (home)
    @ Jets
    @ Eagles
    Jags (home)

The Colts are playing very well right now but it's a home game for Houston, Eagles and Jags are two teams that are a shell of their former selves, and Jets and Browns both blow.

Even if they go 4-1 down the stretch I just don't see us passing them with our remaining schedule. Let's just make the playoffs at this point and hope it's a snowy/windy cold day when we host the Chargers.

WC: Steelers vs Chargers
    DR: Steelers @ KC
    AFC Title: Steelers @ New England
    Superbowl: Steelers vs Saints!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No way this team would defeat the Chargers, Chiefs, Patriots and Saints in a row. Maybe if they had Bell...but as is...nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............to be continued.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No way this team would defeat the Chargers, Chiefs, Patriots and Saints in a row. Maybe if they had Bell...but as is...nope.
    I was trying to be optimistic.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic.
    Lol. Okay. I’m on board...but my foot is dangling off as we go...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Do you have data showing correlation between regular season turnover differential and super bowl champions?
    More here: https://steelersdepot.com/2018/11/st...-splash-plays/

Perfect story. Just look at last year's Superbowl. The Eagles and Pats basically walked up and down the field scoring on each other and the difference in the game was when the Eagles defense came up with the fumble strip/sack recovered by the Eagles.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar