Thread: Mike Tomlin compares JuJu Smith-Schuster to Hines Ward

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Mike Tomlin compares JuJu Smith-Schuster to Hines Ward

It isn’t often you hear Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin throw praise to his players in a press conference. So pardon us if we were a little surprised when Tomlin heaped what might be the ultimate praise onto wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster when he compared him to former Steelers Hines Ward.

read more

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...to-hines-ward/

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Mike Tomlin compares JuJu Smith-Schuster to Hines Ward

Me last year: "Is lil' JuJu our new Hines Ward?? *PLEASE* tell me lil' JuJu is our new Hines Ward!"

Me today:
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

This was already decided last year,

PB's picture above illustrated that.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

took him long enough ...I said it the day he was drafted ( here ) good luck finding the thread it was in his steelers draft smith shuster thread
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    took him long enough ...I said it the day he was drafted ( here ) good luck finding the thread it was in his steelers draft smith shuster thread

Here's the draft discussion thread. I linked the page where the Steelers were on the clock and eventually took JuJu: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...-thread/page11

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Here's the draft discussion thread. I linked the page where the Steelers were on the clock and eventually took JuJu: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...-thread/page11
    That was a fun trip down memory lane.

I truly enjoy being here on draft days, discussing picks with all of you. Really. It’s one of my favorite “three days” of the season.

(NOTE: I guess you could say that I liked the Sutton pick. )

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That was a fun trip down memory lane.

I truly enjoy being here on draft days, discussing picks with all of you. Really. It’s one of my favorite “three days” of the season.

(NOTE: I guess you could say that I liked the Sutton pick. )

You can get a little overexcited at times.

I love talking draft with you guys. For football junkies it just doesn't get any better than that.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

You can get a little overexcited at times.
    Are you referring to the ending of the Bengals-Steelers playoff game, when I jumped over the room divider, landed on my side on the kitchen table, and cracked a few ribs???

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

I don’t know. I think he still needs to break the guy’s jaw before he gets Hines level cred.

Plus Hines hurt the poor little linebackers so much with his blocking that they changed the rules.

Hines Ward and Mel Blount are in a very special ring of honor for that.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I was just watching his USC highlights. I see flashes of today's JuJu in there. As for the "maturity issues" alluded to in the draft thread, he never had that problem.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Are you referring to the ending of the Bengals-Steelers playoff game, when I jumped over the room divider, landed on my side on the kitchen table, and cracked a few ribs???

That was your Gramatica moment of celebration!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

yeah I had found that one too , was trying to find the thread on JuJu once he was a steeler ....and we talked about the pick

it eluded me for 30 mins and I gave up

Sometimes, taking the best player available is the best decision, otherwise you can take a player like Artie Burns!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Taking out Vontaze Burfict puts JuJu in the Steelers HOF before his career barely got started.

What a Hit!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    What a Hit!

I wonder if JuJu said, while standing over Burfict, “better make yourself comfortable down there”.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I wonder if JuJu said, while standing over Burfict, “better make yourself comfortable down there”.
    I think he said ...... That's Karma and karma can be a bitch

yeah I had found that one too , was trying to find the thread on JuJu once he was a steeler ....and we talked about the pick

it eluded me for 30 mins and I gave up

I couldn't find that one either. That thread must have stayed alive for a long time. I just gave up after a while like you did.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I didn’t think I supported the juju pick as much as I actually did...lol

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Ah, but this was just a small part of Hines' game. Yes, he was an enforcer for the offense (which is what JuJu did to Vontaze), but Hines also lit up unwary defenders just to instill fear (which JuJu does not do) and came up with the ball in acrobatic combat catches in clutch moments (which JuJu does do). Both of them are willing to dish out punishment and take it and come up smiling.

We never would've won this game against Jacksonville if JuJu hadn't exposed himself to the punishment he took.

Rock Groupie Array title="GutterflowerSteel is a glorious beacon of light"> GutterflowerSteel's Avatar

Happy 22nd Birthday, JuJu

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Sometimes, taking the best player available is the best decision, otherwise you can take a player like Artie Burns!
    Agreed.

I just viewed the draft day thread and there were several people who were not happy with Juju being picked in the 2nd round!

I thing trying to understand their draft pick logic before pronouncing the pick as terrible is a healthy approach.

Here was my thoughts on JuJu before he made the team:

GBMelBlount

Nice read that includes their predicted chances of each receiver making the roster.

The addition of Schuster appears to put Coates, Ayers and Bey on top of one big bubble.

It also appears (based another read on Coates) that Coates and Ayers are putting in AB style extra reps and effort.

Interesting how the desire to be great motivates some (e.g. Brown) to put in amazing extra effort, while it takes fear off loss to produce similar commitment from others.

Picking up JuJu will have benefits beyond his own addition to the team, which, barring injury, appears to be certain.

This was a great pick imo.
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...highlight=juju
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Ah, but this was just a small part of Hines' game. Yes, he was an enforcer for the offense (which is what JuJu did to Vontaze), but Hines also lit up unwary defenders just to instill fear (which JuJu does not do) and came up with the ball in acrobatic combat catches in clutch moments (which JuJu does do). Both of them are willing to dish out punishment and take it and come up smiling.

We never would've won this game against Jacksonville if JuJu hadn't exposed himself to the punishment he took.
    To be fair though, the rules have made tat impossible, plus his suspension discouraged him from that

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    To be fair though, the rules have made tat impossible, plus his suspension discouraged him from that
    Absolutely, and that goes to my point: He is about as Ward- like as it is possible to be in today's NFL. It's not just the hit on Burfict that warrants comparison. He's tough, fearless, has great hands/ body control, and is clearly enjoying what he does for a living.