Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roethlisberger and Steelers shock Jaguars with epic comeback

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger and Steelers shock Jaguars with epic comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    while I agree with carter’s 1,2 & 3 points, Mike Tomlin did not make any halftime adjustments. Tomlin made that loud and clear in the post game presser
    I was never a “fire Tomlin” guy because he obviously gets results. Obviously. And because the stability of maintaining the same head coach for as long as possible is a winning tactic that the Steelers have employed since time immemorial (meaning: since before I was born).

But I used to always ask: “what is he actually good at?” But as a sincere question since I really don’t know what exactly what he does that I don’t see or understand. I knew he could be very bad at time management and in game decisions, and for a long time he never seemed to “out coach” or “out scheme” his opponents.

But I always conceded that I have no idea all things a head coach does behind the scenes. It was obvious what makes guys like Bill Belichick and Sean Peyton good because I could see how they out coached others.

I also never wanted Tomlin fired on his worst day, because I had no idea what was actually a better option than going with stability.

I still don’t know the ins and outs of what good head coaches actually do - apart from game planning, and stuff I can see with my own eyes - but I’m now convinced that Tomlin is truly a very good head coach and we’re lucky to have him in the long term.

I know that much of our actual success rides on the coordinators and position coaches, but I give Tomlin credit for making the right moves over the years to assemble (mostly) the right guys.

But what I now have complete faith in is that he is a very rare leader of men. This team is a brotherhood of guys who love each other and BELIEVE in each other. Tomlin sets the tone for all of that. Having your men willing to go to war for you individually is nice, but getting them to live and die for EACH OTHER is what makes a true leader.

Some people criticized the Steelers players for turning on a fellow player during a hold out, which almost never happens. But this was never about siding with management over labor, it was siding with the STEELERS over anything else. I believe they all would have welcomed Bell back with open arms if he had ever come back and put on that helmet. Because at that point he is their brother again. He would have been a Steeler, and that’s what matters to all of them.

They are all professionals who love to make as much money as they can for their families, just like anyone else. But there is a feel to this group like they are soldiers fighting for a flag and for their fellow soldiers rather than for a paycheck. I know that’s a stretch, but it’s at least the same TYPE of bond and commitment to the cause and to each other that I’m talking about.

Like none of them could FATHOM the notion of not playing in order to avoid the risk of injury, so they can play next year for a DIFFERENT TEAM.

Maybe I’m just drinking the Black and Gold coolaid but this team just feels different to me than most teams in that regard. I think Ben is also a very big part of unifying this team to rally around him and each other, but I have to give credit where credit is due, and that’s to the head coach.

This team has a lot of talent for sure, but talent alone doesn’t get a team to fight back in the last five minutes of the game like that. Both lines, offense and defense were getting pushed backwards most of the game. You almost NEVER see both lines finding the strength and will to both start pushing the pile FORWARD at the end.

I still don’t know all the things that make a head coach great, but when I see a team fight for each other and believe in each other to THIS extent... I have to believe that’s a kind of greatness in leadership.

So I’ve bought in. Tomlin’s my head coach.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I was never a “fire Tomlin” guy because he obviously gets results. Obviously. And because the stability of maintaining the same head coach for as long as possible is a winning tactic that the Steelers have employed since time immemorial (meaning: since before I was born).

But I used to always ask: “what is he actually good at?” But as a sincere question since I really don’t know what exactly what he does that I don’t see or understand. I knew he could be very bad at time management and in game decisions, and for a long time he never seemed to “out coach” or “out scheme” his opponents.

But I always conceded that I have no idea all things a head coach does behind the scenes. It was obvious what makes guys like Bill Belichick and Sean Peyton good because I could see how they out coached others.

I also never wanted Tomlin fired on his worst day, because I had no idea what was actually a better option than going with stability.

I still don’t know the ins and outs of what good head coaches actually do - apart from game planning, and stuff I can see with my own eyes - but I’m now convinced that Tomlin is truly a very good head coach and we’re lucky to have him in the long term.

I know that much of our actual success rides on the coordinators and position coaches, but I give Tomlin credit for making the right moves over the years to assemble (mostly) the right guys.

But what I now have complete faith in is that he is a very rare leader of men. This team is a brotherhood of guys who love each other and BELIEVE in each other. Tomlin sets the tone for all of that. Having your men willing to go to war for you individually is nice, but getting them to live and die for EACH OTHER is what makes a true leader.

Some people criticized the Steelers players for turning on a fellow player during a hold out, which almost never happens. But this was never about siding with management over labor, it was siding with the STEELERS over anything else. I believe they all would have welcomed Bell back with open arms if he had ever come back and put on that helmet. Because at that point he is their brother again. He would have been a Steeler, and that’s what matters to all of them.

They are all professionals who love to make as much money as they can for their families, just like anyone else. But there is a feel to this group like they are soldiers fighting for a flag and for their fellow soldiers rather than for a paycheck. I know that’s a stretch, but it’s at least the same TYPE of bond and commitment to the cause and to each other that I’m talking about.

Like none of them could FATHOM the notion of not playing in order to avoid the risk of injury, so they can play next year for a DIFFERENT TEAM.

Maybe I’m just drinking the Black and Gold coolaid but this team just feels different to me than most teams in that regard. I think Ben is also a very big part of unifying this team to rally around him and each other, but I have to give credit where credit is due, and that’s to the head coach.

This team has a lot of talent for sure, but talent alone doesn’t get a team to fight back in the last five minutes of the game like that. Both lines, offense and defense were getting pushed backwards most of the game. You almost NEVER see both lines finding the strength and will to both start pushing the pile FORWARD at the end.

I still don’t know all the things that make a head coach great, but when I see a team fight for each other and believe in each other to THIS extent... I have to believe that’s a kind of greatness in leadership.

So I’ve bought in. Tomlin’s my head coach.

Nicely said, my comments about Tomlin not making adjustments weren’t a knock against him. It was the sports media making things up that didn’t take place

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Jaguars be like

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Jaguars be like

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I still loved the look on Jags faces after Ben scored the winning TD because, they never thought the Steelers would comeback to win that game down 16-0!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    IT was the first game of the season I planned to sit down and watch. I ended up switching over to Big Country with Gregory Peck after 40 minutes because the way the Steelers were playing as a whole did not deserve my time.
    Wow you missed one helluva game. I guess the roller coaster ride is not for all and definitely not for the faint of heart. I was at Charlie Brown's (Steelers bar) here in S.A. We were all pissed just like you at how we were playing, but the whole bar ERUPTED when Ben crossed the line for the game winner, I wouldn't have wanted to be any place else than with a bunch of fellow Steeler fans. We only had the lead for the final 3 seconds or so, but DAUM what a fantastic feeling that was. Don't get me wrong winning a blowout is fun to, but somehow this last second win really felt like we drove a dagger into their hearts and then twisted it. That Ben was the one who did it was icing on the cake. Especially since their LB #50 was telling Ben about each of his Int's and going out of his way to do it. Playing us was their Superbowl this year...they lost. ROFLMAO!!!

Sorry you missed it bro.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I have been watching every Steeler game possible since 1972. The whole political thing, Bell, plus the fact the Steelers were not ready to play on opening day allowed me to make an easy decision to do something more productive with my time. Yesterday was the first time I had a few hours to actually watch a game. Should have gone to the beach instead even though they decided to show up by the end of the 3rd quarter. They should have put the Jags away by the end of the half.
    Why so Debbie Downer about this game? I know you have been a Steeler fan for a long time, but this doesn't sound like ALLD to me.

Some people complain that rose bushes have thorns, others rejoice that thorn bushes have roses. - Abe Lincoln

I do my damndest to be the later, hope you change your outlook but it is what it is.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Just watched the game again. Man, Watt was getting mugged the entire first half. At one point, it looked like he was in a choke hold.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Wow you missed one helluva game. I guess the roller coaster ride is not for all and definitely not for the faint of heart. I was at Charlie Brown's (Steelers bar) here in S.A. We were all pissed just like you at how we were playing, but the whole bar ERUPTED when Ben crossed the line for the game winner, I wouldn't have wanted to be any place else than with a bunch of fellow Steeler fans. We only had the lead for the final 3 seconds or so, but DAUM what a fantastic feeling that was. Don't get me wrong winning a blowout is fun to, but somehow this last second win really felt like we drove a dagger into their hearts and then twisted it. That Ben was the one who did it was icing on the cake. Especially since their LB #50 was telling Ben about each of his Int's and going out of his way to do it. Playing us was their Superbowl this year...they lost. ROFLMAO!!!

Sorry you missed it bro.
    Exactly. That was an amazing finish!!!

Anyone who chose to turn that game off, missed one of the all-time great endings. And, No, watching the re-broadcast is not the same, because one already knows the outcome (it was a visceral experience).

btw: Look at Ben’s death-grip on that ball after the game... that will tell you just how special that finale was.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Just watched the game again. Man, Watt was getting mugged the entire first half. At one point, it looked like he was in a choke hold.

Not only that, but he's defeating double teams routinely now. He has become a nightmare for opposing offenses.

TJ Watt is a beast.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Anyone who chose to turn that game off, missed one of the all-time great endings. And, No, watching the re-broadcast is not the same, because one already knows the outcome (it was a visceral experience).
    Possibly a life threatening experience if you have a heart condition.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

btw: Look at Ben’s death-grip on that ball after the game... that will tell you just how special that finale was.
    I like to re-watch the games to see what exactly went on and rewind at my leisure, but re-watching a game when you never saw the original is never the same.

Guess what I am watching today on Thanksgiving day??? LOL

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I watched to game a second time while on treadmill at my gym. You are absolutely right there was no comparison to how I felt watching game live. I did enjoy every second of it, especially watching the trash talking cocky defense of Jags when I knew they were going to end up being deflated. Even though I kept telling my daughter the Steelers were going to come back and win towards the end I don't know that I really believed myself. Not sure how many days it took off my life but I needed a bourbon and a nap after watching live. It sure did make the afternoon and night game more enjoyable for me to watch as well. Great to see this team win in a blowout, then win a game like that. How could that not gel a team and give them complete confidence moving forward.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I watched to game a second time while on treadmill at my gym. You are absolutely right there was no comparison to how I felt watching game live. I did enjoy every second of it, especially watching the trash talking cocky defense of Jags when I knew they were going to end up being deflated. Even though I kept telling my daughter the Steelers were going to come back and win towards the end I don't know that I really believed myself. Not sure how many days it took off my life but I needed a bourbon and a nap after watching live. It sure did make the afternoon and night game more enjoyable for me to watch as well. Great to see this team win in a blowout, then win a game like that. How could that not gel a team and give them complete confidence moving forward.
    Bourbon... nap... you’re not alone. Really.

My dad looked exhausted; he just sat there quiet for a full 25 minutes. My bro-in-law sipped on three beers and just stared at the wall for like an hour.

Throughout the day, as I was walking around (wearing my Steelers shirt) other fans would stop me and we would all say something like: “Whoa... I’m spent.”

Right before bed, a buddy texted me to say: “That game... that game... wow!!!”

Bourbon... nap... you’re not alone. Really.

My dad looked exhausted; he just sat there quiet for a full 25 minutes. My bro-in-law sipped on three beers and just stared at the wall for like an hour.

Throughout the day, as I was walking around (wearing my Steelers shirt) other fans would stop me and we would all say something like: “Whoa... I’m spent.”

Right before bed, a buddy texted me to say: “That game... that game... wow!!!”
    You know that was one helluva tough gritty gut it out game, where you feel your heart beating outside of your chest as Ben crosses the line. You know it's a Touchdown but still we have to hold our collective breaths because you don't know how the call is going to play out with the refs. Only lead of the game was with 3 seconds to go, but that's really all that mattered. Any fan who didn't watch that game from start to finnish has no idea of what that game was truly about.

Ben's performance reminds me that...Great players don't always play great, they play Great when they have to. Ben's performance in a nutshell.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

You know that was one helluva tough gritty gut it out game, where you feel your heart beating outside of your chest as Ben crosses the line.
    Yeah. When Pittsburgh Dad said he could see his heart beating through his shoes, he was exaggerating... but not by much. That game wore me out.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

It would have been classless if Tomlin would have benched Roethlisberger as some fan wanted

Fortunately, I'm sure Tomlin did not think about this possibility during the game.....You live or you die with Roethlisberger, good or bad.

Honestly, I'm kinda sick of hearing about the "Bench Ben" episode in the game day thread. That was a stressful game for all of us, and different people handle it differently. Ben played like refried ass for 3 1/2 quarters, and all of us knew it including Ben himself. We all had doubts about his ability to dig us out of the hole he put us in, which is why we all either shut the game off or nearly suffered aneurysms..
    Yeah, "some fan" overreacted and went negative. How often does *that* happen in this forum?

Can we all please drop the passive- aggressive posts about it and move on?

Thanks and happy Turkey Day,
    -Slashy

I had a guy at the bar saying we need to put in Dobbs saying how well he played on his single pass against the ratbirds. I laughed and asked if he saw him in the 4th quarter against the panthers. He did not even know he had played in that game. "selective memory".

I told him you don't just replace a franchise QB and asked if he knew how long it took us to replace Bradshaw. He said probably 6 seconds...again I laughed. "Clueless". I told him more like 20 years, but thanks for playing then went back to my beer. I think the guy next to me was worried, we both laughed he told me that guy is clueless I know exactly what you mean. We toasted our beers and went on.

This guy was the same guy who in previous weeks did not know that if a team holds while the QB is in the endzone it's a Safety.

The Steelers will never replace Ben despite his flaws they are smart enough to know you don't replace a Franchise QB, you let him work through it. Look how they have treated Boz who has played horrible many time this year. If they are doing that for a kicker do you really think they are going to be less tolerant of their Franchise QB??? No they are not.

You know that was one helluva tough gritty gut it out game, where you feel your heart beating outside of your chest as Ben crosses the line. You know it's a Touchdown but still we have to hold our collective breaths because you don't know how the call is going to play out with the refs. Only lead of the game was with 3 seconds to go, but that's really all that mattered. Any fan who didn't watch that game from start to finnish has no idea of what that game was truly about.

Ben's performance reminds me that...Great players don't always play great, they play Great when they have to. Ben's performance in a nutshell.
    100%

As time expired, Ben standing on the sideline having a death-grip hold on the football tells you everything you need to know about that game.