Thread: Matt Feiler, a bit more than just a back up Offensive Tackle

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Matt Feiler, a bit more than just a back up Offensive Tackle

The guy is a power house, with enough technique for pass protection. I was hoping Gilbert would only be out 2 weeks. Now I don't miss him. Feiler can play. The Steelers might trade or cut Gilbert down the line.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 11-17-2018 at 08:23 AM.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Matt Feiler, a bit more than just a back up Offensive Tackle

Matt Feiler's special gift is that he can step in and play multiple roles for us just as well as the starters. I would prefer that we keep Gilbert and have that flexibility at backup without losing anything.
    Yes, Feiler is just as good as Gilbert at RT, but who do we have at backup OL who's as good as Feiler?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What’s his contract status?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What’s his contract status?

Gilbert is signed in 2019. His cap number is
    $7,358,500 If the Steelers cut him they save $ 2,371,500 in cap space. The Steelers if they wanted to could probably trade Gilbert for something.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Gilbert is signed in 2019. His cap number is
    $7,358,500 If the Steelers cut him they save $ 2,371,500 in cap space. The Steelers if they wanted to could probably trade Gilbert for something.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/
    Thanks. I meant Feiler.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Thanks. I meant Feiler.
    He is an ERFA in 2019. I think Finney is as well.

Feiler is a good technician but not really athletic with his feet, so he can have challenges with speed rushers. I think he is a better Guard, but has shown well to play both. I think Finney and Feiler need contracts and it might be the reason that Foster isn't extended in the offseason.

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

You could see Foster and Gilbert both gone next year. Feiler and Finney need to get locked up. Future center can be had in the draft. Tackle position looks solid and deep for the Steelers. Best free agent move the Steelers have made was getting Munch.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    You could see Foster and Gilbert both gone next year. Feiler and Finney need to get locked up. Future center can be had in the draft. Tackle position looks solid and deep for the Steelers. Best free agent move the Steelers have made was getting Munch.
    Not Big Ragu! Although if he goes, the Stillerz will save money both on cap space and carpentry bills...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Gilbert is a 30 year old pro bowl caliber RT, when healthy, with 1 year left on his contract. Foster is a 32 year old road grader at guard, that isn't athletic enough to lead on pulls and is in the final year of an expiring contract. I can see not signing Foster to a new deal, although his leadership qualities are the major intangible. I can also see either letting Gilbert play out his final season, or extending him out another 3 or 4 seasons to defer cap hit until down the road.

Feiler is essentially a younger version of Foster, but a bit better athletically and could be the replacement of Foster at LG. Finney should be the chief backup inside as he could play G or C, but maybe he becomes the starter at LG. Succession planning for aging players is important, I just have a hard time seeing the Steelers change up 40% of their starting O line in the offseason.