Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Fichtner is Awesome?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Randy Fichtner is Awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    He’s awesome until we lose and then he’s a bum because people have the shortest f*&king memories.
    FTFY
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

1st and Goal from the 2 yard line, with one Timeout remaining and................3 straight pass play calls????

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    1st and Goal from the 2 yard line, with one Timeout remaining and................3 straight pass play calls????

I still can't believe they had the ball at the 2 yard line with a timeout and they let the clock wind down and then clocked it! WTF?

Run the ball and if you don't make it, use the timeout.

It all worked out in the end, but....man.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

These are things you hope the coaching staff will take note of and not just blow it off as we won.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I still can't believe they had the ball at the 2 yard line with a timeout and they let the clock wind down and then clocked it! WTF?

Run the ball and if you don't make it, use the timeout.

It all worked out in the end, but....man.
    That is the difference. If the ref misses that facemask on Switzer...……….this entire board is wondering why the Steelers didn't run the football to James Conner. Really bad playcalling. Its just the same as the Seahawks not handing off to Lynch, but throwing on the goal line instead.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That is the difference. If the ref misses that facemask on Switzer...……….this entire board is wondering why the Steelers didn't run the football to James Conner. Really bad playcalling. Its just the same as the Seahawks not handing off to Lynch, but throwing on the goal line instead.
    I agree...unless this didn’t come from the sidelines and Ben is just out there running the 2 minute and calling his own shots. If that was the “plan” then I can see how they go so pass wacky.

On the other hand, then the sidelines should force a timeout and get things reset.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I agree...unless this didn’t come from the sidelines and Ben is just out there running the 2 minute and calling his own shots. If that was the “plan” then I can see how they go so pass wacky.

On the other hand, then the sidelines should force a timeout and get things reset.

Yeah, I'm not blaming anyone. I have no idea who is responsible for spiking the ball instead or running in that situation. It might be Ben. I also thought I saw Ben look toward the sideline, so I don't know.

All I do know is they wasted a down to spike the ball when they could have run a play.

It's one of those things that happens with a clock running down and 11 men are scrambling to get the play call and get in position.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They only had one timeout left so that wouldn’t have helped run the ball. At that stage, if they call TO, get Ben in check and then run the ball and fail, the game is over with no FG attempt.

The Jags don’t get that INT without the face mask penalty. But yes...this place would’ve erupted in anger had the officials missed that...wondering why Conner wasn’t handed the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I dont care about the spike of the ball, as much as they passed the football 3 times in a row from the 2 yard line when they had lots of time, one timeout and James Conner and an O line that consists of 3 Pro Bowl players. Run the football one time at least, then call your TO and run a pass play if you havent already scored the TD from the 2 yard line.

But to throw it 3 times in a row, against a fast defense with talented secondary in a confined space like the end zone is just dumb playcalling. Fichtner abandoned the run game too early and almost lost the game by not calling a single run when he had opportunities to from the 2 and 1 yard line.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I'm wondering if they decided to throw the ball instead of running it because of how well Jacksonville's run defense was.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

With the way the Jaguars defense were positioned in the goal line, I do not think Conner would have had a TD in this situation.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I dont care about the spike of the ball, as much as they passed the football 3 times in a row from the 2 yard line when they had lots of time, one timeout and James Conner and an O line that consists of 3 Pro Bowl players. Run the football one time at least, then call your TO and run a pass play if you havent already scored the TD from the 2 yard line.

But to throw it 3 times in a row, against a fast defense with talented secondary in a confined space like the end zone is just dumb playcalling. Fichtner abandoned the run game too early and almost lost the game by not calling a single run when he had opportunities to from the 2 and 1 yard line.
    thank God for that face mask on Switz

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

After these past two weeks, I would have to say Randy Fichtner isn't awesome. Good, but not awesome. The Steelers have effectively abandoned the run game the past weeks, when they had no reason to, and its been costing them.

When Conner was getting touches, he was dominating and the team was rolling, now he's disappeared from the Offense, and the team (and Ben) is off-kilter and inconsistent. Now Conner is hurt and will be out for a while.

Abandoning what worked in make yourself seem smart is exactly what we bashed and hated Arians and Haley for. That makes Fichtner not awesome by default.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Dude is not Haley bad but he's been bad these past 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Dude is not Haley bad but he's been bad these past 2 weeks
    James Conner has been missing from the offensive playcalling since Carolina. The Steelers have effectively abandoned the run game since. Even Samuels isn't getting any touches.

Is it really any shock that now that Conner isn't getting the ball as much as he used to, and the run game has been abandoned, the team has gone into a sudden tailspin?

As much as we hate to say it, Ben is not the engine that drives the offense. The more Ben throws, the more he forces to AB, the more chances he takes, and the more stupid interceptions keep piling up.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    James Conner has been missing from the offensive playcalling since Carolina. The Steelers have effectively abandoned the run game since. Even Samuels isn't getting any touches.

Is it really any shock that now that Conner isn't getting the ball as much as he used to, and the run game has been abandoned, the team has gone into a sudden tailspin?

As much as we hate to say it, Ben is not the engine that drives the offense. The more Ben throws, the more he forces to AB, the more chances he takes, and the more stupid interceptions keep piling up.
    Well said. Its not just the past 2 weeks that Fichtner has abandoned the run and sucked. James Conner only had 9 carries against the Jags and that game was mostly a 6 point deficit. Lots of time to run the football and instead he chooses to roll the dice with Ben that lead to turnovers or mostly 3rd and long situations.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He's been far less effective when hes gotten the ball. He's not running like the early season Conner was running.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He's been far less effective when hes gotten the ball. He's not running like the early season Conner was running.
    4.0YPC and 2TD last night. Those are pretty good numbers but he was only given 15 carries in the game.

In the win over the Ravens this year he was given the ball for 24 carries and 107 yards. Seems like similar effectiveness, but more touches resulted in a 100 yard game and a win.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

4.0YPC and 2TD last night. Those are pretty good numbers but he was only given 15 carries in the game.

In the win over the Ravens this year he was given the ball for 24 carries and 107 yards. Seems like similar effectiveness, but more touches resulted in a 100 yard game and a win.
    I'm thinking Fichtner must have Ben as his fantasy QB. I just don't get the plan to put up gaudy passing stats and neglect the running game when you built your 6-game winning streak on the legs of Conner.

I don’t know who is calling the plays but my confidence in Ben is about 50/50. When he throws a pass you feel it could be a TD or a pick. In the 4th they take a cold DHB (who can’t catch) off the bench and have him run deep in the EZ, double covered mind you and still force the ball to him. There is just too much pull it out of you’re ass play on this team...and they bench Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I don’t know who is calling the plays but my confidence in Ben is about 50/50. When he throws a pass you feel it could be a TD or a pick. In the 4th they take a cold DHB (who can’t catch) off the bench and have him run deep in the EZ, double covered mind you and still force the ball to him. There is just too much pull it out of you’re ass play on this team.
    They went back to the failed losing formula that created the 1-2-1 start in September and not the formula that won them six straight games. Fichtner caught Todd Haley disease, and it has cost the Steelers the 2nd seed. Fichtner better pull his head out of his ass soon or this team will be out of the playoffs entirely.

Two winnable games against two highly beatable teams, and Fichtner decides to get cute.

They went back to the failed losing formula that created the 1-2-1 start in September and not the formula that won them six straight games. Fichtner caught Todd Haley disease, and it has cost the Steelers the 2nd seed. Fichtner better pull his head out of his ass soon or this team will be out of the playoffs entirely.

Two winnable games against two highly beatable teams, and Fichtner decides to get cute.
    I don't think it's all Fich, Ben seems to go into these twilight zone moods more and more often and he probably has more freedom on the field now that Haley's gone.

I don't think it's all Fich, Ben seems to go into these twilight zone moods more and more often and he probably has more freedom on the field now that Haley's gone.
    He had plenty of freedom when Haley was here. There's a lot of the same happening.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Lack of a deep threat compressing the field on 3rd downs is a real problem. It is why they can bracket AB, help on JUJU and still have someone draped all over Mcdonald

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lack of a deep threat compressing the field on 3rd downs is a real problem. It is why they can bracket AB, help on JUJU and still have someone draped all over Mcdonald

Do the Pats have a deep threat?

- - - Updated - - -

He had plenty of freedom when Haley was here. There's a lot of the same happening.

Yes, for years and years which points to coaching/drafting imo.

AB himself could be considered a deep threat. Unless your just talking a straight line speed guy and then you have DHB...lol.

Do the Pats have a deep threat?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, for years and years which points to coaching/drafting imo.
    Gronkowski. Maybe Gordon. Pats consistently struggle on 3rd downs when Gronk is hurt and not pulling multiple defenders downfield.

AB himself could be considered a deep threat. Unless your just talking a straight line speed guy and then you have DHB...lol.
    It’s about roles, not physical attributes. You’re not running go routes with AB all day to draw safeties out of the middle of the field. Right now all of the Steelers best recieving options do their best work between the hashes. They need a guy who can threaten defenses vertically along the boundary.

Randy Fichtner is Awesome?

It’s about roles, not physical attributes. You’re not running go routes with AB all day to draw safeties out of the middle of the field. Right now all of the Steelers best recieving options do their best work between the hashes. They need a guy who can threaten defenses vertically along the boundary.

They have that in Hunter, DHB and Washington. They just never throw it there and in the few times that they do, they aren’t completed...but you still have to at least threaten it...which they don’t.