Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Fichtner is Awesome?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Randy Fichtner is Awesome?

I think that lost in all of the discussion in the national media and twitterverse about Conner and Bell's production through the first X weeks or whatever, is the impact that Fichtner (sp?) seems to be having on the offense.

I always liked Haley's playbook, it was aggressive and took advantage of available playmakers, but agree with the many that questioned is playcalling and overall strategy. While I will always be partial to the deep shot on 3rd and anything, I also realize we are seeing proof of a better way in 2018.

The efficiency and purpose of the offensive design is staggering. These RZ stats are insane and surely not sustainable, but they are great! https://steelersdepot.com/2018/11/st...st-since-2008/

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Re: Randy Fichtner is Awesome?

Wait... a coordinator is awesome thread

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Wait... a coordinator is awesome thread
    I know, right?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

To be fair, Butler is the first guy to make me envy a defensive strategy in a single game. "They want to present a 3- headed dragon RPO offense? Well, that just means that Newton is a viable target every play."
    Pretty brilliant game plan, especially for a short week. Really, *he* deserves my game ball more than anyone else.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    To be fair, Butler is the first guy to make me envy a defensive strategy in a single game. "They want to present a 3- headed dragon RPO offense? Well, that just means that Newton is a viable target every play."
    Pretty brilliant game plan, especially for a short week. Really, *he* deserves my game ball more than anyone else.
    Good point. I also think the hit Watt laid on Newton was some pretty solid hockey tactics. Oh you have an "upper body injury"? Let's just light that shoulder up and see how you fare!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

^^^ Great picture

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Fichtner understands that you do not have to be a genius to be successful with this offense, which is very important.Haley did not understand that and he had too much of a big ego.

The only one who could stop our offense in the past was not the opposing defenses, it was Todd Haley.

- - - Updated - - -

Our redzone stats may be sustainable, but the stats that can not be sustainable is our 3rd down offense in the last 5 games which is at 61% I think(41/66 to be exact).

Of course, when you're in 3rd down and shorts often it helps.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Fichtner is playing the averages a lot more than Haley and Ben did. How many “long balls” have we seen this season on 3rd & short or 4th & short? Not many. We’ve seen QB sneaks, slip screens,quick slants...pretty much everything we’ve been asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Fichtner is playing the averages a lot more than Haley and Ben did. How many “long balls” have we seen this season on 3rd & short or 4th & short? Not many. We’ve seen QB sneaks, slip screens,quick slants...pretty much everything we’ve been asking for.
    Yeah the play calling seems a lot smarter, instead of trying to impose our will, we take what the defense gives us. Sure the long scores are nice, but when you're constantly taking the high percentage first down plays, that tends to demoralize a defense over time. When that happens, big plays just follow

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Maybe Fitz is too smart to out think himself?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sometimes, the simplest thing is hardest thing to do. Sure, we could do the amazing thing and look like a genius, or we can just do what is the safe and smart thing. Many OC's in the NFL have major egos and want to show they are the next Bill Parcells or Bill Walsh. Todd Haley unfortunately, was one of them.

Failing to do the simple thing cost the Seattle Seahawks a Super Bowl repeat. It also cost the Atlanta Falcons dearly in Super Bowl LI.

Darrell Bevell and Kyle Shanahan are curse words, now.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Our red zone production has been better this year. And Ben has been scrambling for first downs, which is a double edged sword.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

He’s awesome until we lose and then he’s a bum because people have the shortest f*&king memories around here.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Wow. We are 22 for 28 RZ conversions.

22 is more RZ conversions than any other COMPLETE season in Ben’s career... and I think we have more games to play.

Also with 28 attempts so far we’re getting close to the most RZ attempts in Ben’s career.

So we’re getting to the red zone more than ever and converting more than ever. That is damn impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

Compare that to last year: 14 for 33. That’s like 42%!

- - - Updated - - -

This year we are over 76%!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry this year we are 78.6%!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

It also doesn’t hurt that the O-line is playing lights out this year. They have been nothing short of incredible. Even with a back up RT! No drop off at all!

So yeah, hats off to coach Randy... but coach Munch is the TRUE godsend.

I hope we pay him head coach money to stay right where he is. There’s no salary cap for coaches, and every penny we pay him is money well spent.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Fitchner is calling Ben's plays...

joking aside, there is probably some truth to it. They seem to have a much better relationship and give and take than the stubborn ego that previously ran the show. Tequila Cowboy had his moments, and did help Ben not take as many hits from the slow developing deeps routes Arians loved, but the honeymoon was over... and it wasn't difficult to see.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    He’s awesome until we lose and then he’s a bum because people have the shortest f*&king memories around here.
    So true!

People used to bitch about Bubble Screens being thrown and now they are praising them. People used to whine about Haley's "dink and dunk offense", but now love slants, screens and crossing routes. Steeler fans love winning and think losing is the end of the world.

Just wait, Randy's time to become the villain will come soon enough.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Fitchner is calling Ben's plays...

joking aside, there is probably some truth to it. They seem to have a much better relationship and give and take than the stubborn ego that previously ran the show. Tequila Cowboy had his moments, and did help Ben not take as many hits from the slow developing deeps routes Arians loved, but the honeymoon was over... and it wasn't difficult to see.
    I wouldn’t be so fast to lift blame from Ben. Some of those deep passes in the past on third and short were Ben’s calls at the line when he saw the matchups...I’d be willing to bet that Fichtner reigned some of that in.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    So true!

People used to bitch about Bubble Screens being thrown and now they are praising them. People used to whine about Haley's "dink and dunk offense", but now love slants, screens and crossing routes. Steeler fans love winning and think losing is the end of the world.

Who is praising bubble screens? Problem with Haley’s offense is he didn’t run enough of the quick slants. Especially in short yardage situations...lol.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I wouldn’t be so fast to lift blame from Ben. Some of those deep passes in the past on third and short were Ben’s calls at the line when he saw the matchups...I’d be willing to bet that Fichtner reigned some of that in.
    No blame in there... just a toxic relationship. Besides, Ben has to throw somewhere when it's first, second or third and short, and the formation is 5 wide empty set without even a shift to the backfield... Please, those were obvious Haley calls.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    So true!

I was going to start the Fire Randy thread after the 1st play of preseason just to get that out of the way.

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

I have a feeling that Fitchner is holding the 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 long ball until the time comes to win a playoff game or even the Super Bowl. He's going to put QB sneaks, quick hitters, James Conner and other chain moving plays on tape and then, with a big game on the line, he's going to go for the 9 route, deep post, etc. He will actually catch a team off-guard because he hadn't put it on film all year.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I always liked Haley's playbook, it was aggressive and took advantage of available playmakers, but agree with the many that questioned is playcalling and overall strategy.
    Same here - it was the "WTF?" play calling that I took issue with.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Yeah the bombs on 3rd and inches were drive killers and they happened so often it started to become predictable. I can agree with it, say if there's a tendency for a certain team to bite hard on the play-action that makes them susceptible to it, but it was like clockwork he'd do that twice or so every game. If it worked out, awesome, if it didn't, they were wasted possessions.

Haley was like going to vegas and putting the house on red or black. Could pay off, but if it doesn't, well then it's a waste. Maddening how that guy never seemed to be willing to go with a high percentage play in those situations.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Who is praising bubble screens? Problem with Haley’s offense is he didn’t run enough of the quick slants. Especially in short yardage situations...lol.
    Apologies, the Slip Screen must be a much better option than the Bubble Screen for a playcaller.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I was going to start the Fire Randy thread after the 1st play of preseason just to get that out of the way.
    Man you are the "Russian Judge". No time for Randy to at least have a honeymoon huh? I think he gets a big pass from fans this season, but if they don't win a Lombardi he is on the block early and often next season.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    No blame in there... just a toxic relationship. Besides, Ben has to throw somewhere when it's first, second or third and short, and the formation is 5 wide empty set without even a shift to the backfield... Please, those were obvious Haley calls.
    There were quite a few occasions where Ben said he made he call and you can’t blame him when you see the WR/CB matchup in big favor of Martavis Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Same. The WHat the F and Where the F and Whynot the F!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Haley would better served to draw up the playbook and have someone else call the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Haley would better served to draw up the playbook and have someone else call the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There’s an idea for a job. Maybe he can go on Etsy and design custom playbooks...