Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe this WR thing didn't Quite Work Out

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Maybe this WR thing didn't Quite Work Out

I hate to say it, but I think the Steelers overcompensated with the drafting of James Washington. They wanted to ensure the deep ball stayed a part of the offense and being Rudolph's security blanket didn't hurt.

But Washington looks, well, lost? Not ready? Something less than positive. Meanwhile, this kid was drafted in the 5th round and looks every inch a legitimate deep threat and playmaker -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...V/ValdMa00.htm

The sad part is, that the "deep threat" is really the ONLY missing element on offense right now.

I am not saying that Washington won't develop into a good or even really good WR, but I just don't think he is what they thought he was.

Maybe, I'm just in crappy mood today -- but either you can run a "go" route and get open in the NFL or you can't. I mean even Sammi Coates could run the route - He just couldn't catch. We don't even know if Washington can catch because it looks like he can't separate.

Perhaps I'm over-reacting and all the kid needs is a chance...but I dunno.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Maybe this WR thing didn't Quite Work Out

I think he needs time to develop. You say they are missing a deep threat...but do they really need one at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think he needs time to develop. You say they are missing a deep threat...but do they really need one at the moment?
    Never hurts. That is a significant component of why AB isn't automatically open 15 times a game. They are rolling far more help his way because no one scares other teams on the opposing side of the field deep.

Obviously, it is not necessary but it would certainly be more than helpful to have one.

My only point is that being a deep threat WR was what Washington was drafted to do. Other guys that were drafted to do the same thing (Valdez Scantling, TreQuan Smith) are doing the thing and Washington is not. Makes me raise an eyebrow and wonder what is going on. No one seems to have an explanation and Fichtner raves about the kid. So, I'm not freaking out or anything, but thought it was worth rolling out there and seeing what others thought.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

AB wasn't an All Pro his rookie season.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think he will be fine, he seemed to play well in preseason then kinda flatten out. Unfortunately Hunter can’t get it together.

i know Hodges is a TE but he’s big fast and has good hands, Griffey 6’3” and is also on the PS. Why not rotate some of these guy in? Like Allen for Burns, I mean could he really be worse?

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Ju Ju spoiled us, raised the bar. Plus with emergence of Vance or I should say Vance staying healthy there’s just not enough touches to go around.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Juju and AB seem to be making some big plays, I don't think we're necessarily missing a big play threat.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Maybe WRs are as interchangeable as RBs for winning

Other than Gronk the Pats have worked with interchangeable parts while the Seahawks, Broncos and Eagles won Lombardis without brimming over with great WRs

AB’s targets are down the last several games and the offense is doing fine

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I think Mojouw is just moody...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Fire Darryl Drake!!!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah, I thought for sure that Washington would be an important part of this offense as the #3 WR, or #5 option behind AB, JuJu, RB(Conner), TE. He looked real good in preseason and his work ethic, hands and speed are all there. Maybe he ends up contributing like Nate Washington did back in the day when he was a rookie....at the playoff run.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

AB didn't really start making noise in his rookie season until the playoffs. And Sanders the same year, not until late in the season. Can happen. I'm liking Switzer's production as a #3/#4, he came up big last week with a few key 1st downs. Doesn't seem to fear making catches over the middle either. I'm really liking that Switzer kid, seems like a steal for a 5th round pick.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

I always felt Washington just looked kind of awkward. To me, he doesn't really seem to be a WR type of player.

As others have said, he certainly can develop into a productive player.

However, I am going to give it the trusty eyeball test half a season in and go ahead and say "I doubt it". I never liked the pick either even though I understood why they made the pick having just traded Bryant.

He reminds me of how I felt about Jarvis Jones. Didn't like the pick, but understood the selection. Being a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers made me hopeful. Reality sets in and then you realize the kid just can't play.

Hopefully he makes me eat crow.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Never hurts. That is a significant component of why AB isn't automatically open 15 times a game. They are rolling far more help his way because no one scares other teams on the opposing side of the field deep.

Obviously, it is not necessary but it would certainly be more than helpful to have one.

My only point is that being a deep threat WR was what Washington was drafted to do. Other guys that were drafted to do the same thing (Valdez Scantling, TreQuan Smith) are doing the thing and Washington is not. Makes me raise an eyebrow and wonder what is going on. No one seems to have an explanation and Fichtner raves about the kid. So, I'm not freaking out or anything, but thought it was worth rolling out there and seeing what others thought.
    I’m not saying your wrong at all and won’t disagree but they’ve been doing pretty good without it at the moment. I think there are more options in Pittsburgh for Ben than what Rodgers and Brees have on their respective teams as well. Those guys are getting more opportunities due to lack of talent where Washington is behind a lot more talent.

You kinda make it sound like AB isn’t so good without Martavis Bryant or Mike Wallace.

I’m not saying your wrong at all and won’t disagree but they’ve been doing pretty good without it at the moment. I think there are more options in Pittsburgh for Ben than what Rodgers and Brees have on their respective teams as well. Those guys are getting more opportunities due to lack of talent where Washington is behind a lot more talent.

You kinda make it sound like AB isn’t so good without Martavis Bryant or Mike Wallace.
    It's not that he isn't good it is that it isn't easy when no one is worried about a deep threat to pull coverages apart vertically. They are great at spreading defenses horizontally with Juju, Vance, and Conner.

I'm just saying that AB is on pace for his lowest # of catches per game, yards per game, catch %, and second lowest yards per catch. It by no means that AB is still not amazing. It means that defenses are making the Steelers work just a bit harder for the results.

I also have to wonder if it isn't a bit more about scheming. Without that deep ball that is the lowest percentage pass, Ben's having one of his statistically best years in yards per game, QB average, top 1/3 in TD percentage, and absolute top in sack percentage. The only thing that is middle of the road is his yards per completion average. It'd be nice to see someone stretch the field and be a legitimate threat, but I'm not too worried about it because if need be, that can be JuJu in a pinch.

It's not that he isn't good it is that it isn't easy when no one is worried about a deep threat to pull coverages apart vertically. They are great at spreading defenses horizontally with Juju, Vance, and Conner.

I'm just saying that AB is on pace for his lowest # of catches per game, yards per game, catch %, and second lowest yards per catch. It by no means that AB is still not amazing. It means that defenses are making the Steelers work just a bit harder for the results.
    Yet it seems like the Steelers are getting the results easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I also have to wonder if it isn't a bit more about scheming. Without that deep ball that is the lowest percentage pass, Ben's having one of his statistically best years in yards per game, QB average, top 1/3 in TD percentage, and absolute top in sack percentage. The only thing that is middle of the road is his yards per completion average. It'd be nice to see someone stretch the field and be a legitimate threat, but I'm not too worried about it because if need be, that can be JuJu in a pinch.
    I get that and I'm not saying the sky is falling or that anything is actually wrong. I just wonder a few things. And maybe it is scheme. Maybe without Haley and Arians there to insist that they push the ball deep down the sidelines there is no call for the 2-4 deep shots per game that until this season seemed mandatory.

If that is the case, then great! If it is because Washington is so raw and imprecise as a route runner that he can't run a simple "GO" route or deep post against NFL DBs, than less than great?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Every day I log on, I see what should be 6 Lombardi trophies(there is one Lombardi and a pic of Chief).....not 6 Receiving Titles.

I get that and I'm not saying the sky is falling or that anything is actually wrong. I just wonder a few things. And maybe it is scheme. Maybe without Haley and Arians there to insist that they push the ball deep down the sidelines there is no call for the 2-4 deep shots per game that until this season seemed mandatory.

If that is the case, then great! If it is because Washington is so raw and imprecise as a route runner that he can't run a simple "GO" route or deep post against NFL DBs, than less than great?
    Do you really think a Belitnekoff award winner for the best WR in College and a guy with more 40yard+ receiving TD's than anybody else in 2017 in college cant run a 9 ?? You can watch his NFL Combine workout where he runs great routes and Michael Irvin comments on how much he likes Washington in that workout.

The kid is a receiver that can work outside or from the slot, but for whatever reason hasn't established himself yet as the #3 WR. Honestly, I think there are too many other receiving options with guys that aren't rookies, like AB, JuJu, James, McDonald, Conner. Also, its been years since Fichtner was a OC, but he wasn't known for a lot of guys running vertical routes.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Do you really think a Belitnekoff award winner for the best WR in College and a guy with more 40yard+ receiving TD's than anybody else in 2017 in college cant run a 9 ?? You can watch his NFL Combine workout where he runs great routes and Michael Irvin comments on how much he likes Washington in that workout.

The kid is a receiver that can work outside or from the slot, but for whatever reason hasn't established himself yet as the #3 WR. Honestly, I think there are too many other receiving options with guys that aren't rookies, like AB, JuJu, James, McDonald, Conner. Also, its been years since Fichtner was a OC, but he wasn't known for a lot of guys running vertical routes.
    Ok. Maybe he can. But almost every pre-draft scouting report I read and I have no idea what their quality was or wasn't, but they all spoke about how he was raw and imprecise as a route runner. Many seemingly knowledgeable outlets with tape and examples questioned Washington's ability to get in and out of breaks with precision and proper footwork and balance. Several further questioned whether he would transition smoothly from the wild wild west of his college conference to the more technical and precision oriented coverages in the NFL.

I am by no means giving up on Washington or claiming that the team "missed" on the pick. I am simply wondering out loud whether his lack of production of any kind is an inability to get open, scheme, poor route running, not being needed in the offense, lack of rapport with Ben, etc, etc...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I think he is coming a long fine and just not enough balls to go around. He has skills and showed them in preseason!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Just a feeling I have but, Washington Imo is going to make a big play sometime in the next few weeks and it'll be something teams will watch for come playoff time.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Just a feeling I have but, Washington Imo is going to make a big play sometime in the next few weeks and it'll be something teams will watch for come playoff time.
    Good, hopefully they stop watching AB, Juju, and Conner

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Kids a rookie, give it some time. AB wasn’t lighting up Pittsburgh when he first got here. Saw some spectacular plays in the preseason, I’m not ready to call it quits.

Ok. Maybe he can. But almost every pre-draft scouting report I read and I have no idea what their quality was or wasn't, but they all spoke about how he was raw and imprecise as a route runner. Many seemingly knowledgeable outlets with tape and examples questioned Washington's ability to get in and out of breaks with precision and proper footwork and balance. Several further questioned whether he would transition smoothly from the wild wild west of his college conference to the more technical and precision oriented coverages in the NFL.

I am by no means giving up on Washington or claiming that the team "missed" on the pick. I am simply wondering out loud whether his lack of production of any kind is an inability to get open, scheme, poor route running, not being needed in the offense, lack of rapport with Ben, etc, etc...
    Have a look at the below link to a video of where Mike Mayock and Charles Davis break down Washington at the Senior Bowl. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...mes-Washington

They go over his 226 career catches, average of 20 yards per catch, strength, speed, 34" long arms, strong build like a RB, etc. Davis does say he will need more exposure to the route tree in the NFL, which basically is saying he probably ran more deep routes than the rest of the tree. I still believe 100% that the kid is gonna be good for a long time for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

what is he like 22 years old? give him more than nine games please.

why can't we all remember how dreadful Conner looked last year, like a wasted feel good pick. but now he can block and catch on a pro bowl level along with his always fierce running ability.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Have a look at the below link to a video of where Mike Mayock and Charles Davis break down Washington at the Senior Bowl. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...mes-Washington

They go over his 226 career catches, average of 20 yards per catch, strength, speed, 34" long arms, strong build like a RB, etc. Davis does say he will need more exposure to the route tree in the NFL, which basically is saying he probably ran more deep routes than the rest of the tree. I still believe 100% that the kid is gonna be good for a long time for the Steelers.
    I saw that link and for every positive review of the guy's route running, we can find a negative one. Happens for almost every prospect outside the top 15 to 20 guys each class. I think everyone is assuming that I am passing some sort of final judgement of Washinton's capability and I'm really not. All I am saying is that he has less catches and yards than any other WR drafted in the first 3 rounds of the 2018 draft (10 in total). And he ranks about 16th out of 30 guys in the whole draft class -- with only 5 of the other 15 or so getting playing time.

I'm asking the question of why that is? In the NFL you tend not to get the ball when either you are not open, the QB doesn't trust you, or you are simply buried behind superior playmakers.

If everyone seems convinced that it is the third option, then whatever, it is what it is. If it is some aspect of the first two, I wonder if the issue is correctable over time or if Washington has a flaw as a WR that wasn't seen at the college level due to competition, scheme, etc. Since, no one else seems to have a single iota of concern, I'll stop worrying.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I'm asking the question of why that is?

In the NFL you tend not to get the ball when either you are:

1. not open

2. the QB doesn't trust you, or

3. you are simply buried behind superior playmakers.
    While it could be all three, from the little I have seen I would guess it is more 2. & 3.

However 2. could be possibly best stated as they are simply not on the same page yet.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    While it could be all three, from the little I have seen I would guess it is more 2. & 3.

However 2. could be possibly best stated as they are simply not on the same page yet.
    I am hoping and, honestly, suspect that it may be. Some of the other more "productive" guys have been forced into more prominent roles. I just think it is really surprising that a guy as highly regarded and who was drafted as early as Washington has essentially now production in 9 games or whatever.

Not like any of this will matter. Since I started thinking about it, he will have 10 catches for over 250 yards and 3 scores in the next 4 games or something.