Thread: Guys on IR

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Guys on IR

Isn't it about time the guys on IR either have to come off or stay for the entire season? Has anyone heard whether Alphabet Soup at Linebacker or Eli Rogers at WR are in the team's 2018 plans?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Guys on IR

I don't think there's a deadline for IR, only the PUP list, which only Rogers is on. IR you can have two players come back at any time after they've missed 6 weeks or after Week 8, I forget how they apply it exactly, but there's no back end limit to it. IIRC we used this designation on Aaron Smith early in the season one year hoping he might be able to return for the postseason.

On PUP, they have to stay on it for the first 6 weeks, then have to start practicing within 5 weeks (so, next week) or they're out for the year. Rogers said in October he's ready to go whenever. I assume they may just be waiting on that one until they figure out what's happening with the Bell situation, and then we have a week window to make a move.

Interesting fact: I learned from this that we have three guys named "Trey" between IR and the practice squad.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Good to know. I was confused and thought there was a deadline that you had to either pull the guys back from IR or sit them down for the season.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't think there's a deadline for IR, only the PUP list, which only Rogers is on. IR you can have two players come back at any time after they've missed 6 weeks or after Week 8, I forget how they apply it exactly, but there's no back end limit to it. IIRC we used this designation on Aaron Smith early in the season one year hoping he might be able to return for the postseason.

On PUP, they have to stay on it for the first 6 weeks, then have to start practicing within 5 weeks (so, next week) or they're out for the year. Rogers said in October he's ready to go whenever. I assume they may just be waiting on that one until they figure out what's happening with the Bell situation, and then we have a week window to make a move.

Interesting fact: I learned from this that we have three guys named "Trey" between IR and the practice squad.
    Trey bien!
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

What's going on with Adeniyi, thought he was going to be back by now?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    What's going on with Adeniyi, thought he was going to be back by now?
    Last I read he was ready to come off the IR-DTR but no other peep about "Alphabet Soup"

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Last I read he was ready to come off the IR-DTR but no other peep about "Alphabet Soup"
    Yes, I remember this but nothing more.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ers-122879106/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...fl-news-rumors

Looks like Eli was eligible to come off PUP in October but they have a few weeks to decide if they bring him back

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I really wish Ola would be brought off IR since I believe he's a legit gem and should be developing with practice reps.

Don't see Rogers being back, not sure how his recovery is going and there is no room for him.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Small detail - I don't think they have a "Designated to Return" anymore. Everyone is just on IR now and you can pick whoever you want to return after the set time period, you don't have to designate them in advance.

I saw right from the start that it was not expected to be a long-term injury with Olasafasafasafasdsadasfdsa ... perhaps they are also waiting to see how the roster situation plays out, or basically just waiting for someone else to get injured before they activate him. Not too many regular players with injuries this year, knock on wood.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

What am I missising...who the hell is "alphabet soup"?

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    What am I missising...who the hell is "alphabet soup"?
    https://www.steelers.com/team/player...kanmi-adeniyi/
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I really wish Ola would be brought off IR since I believe he's a legit gem and should be developing with practice reps.

Don't see Rogers being back, not sure how his recovery is going and there is no room for him.
    Rogers lost his job to Switzer.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Switzer is starting to look like he could be that solid #3 / #4 option we were looking for all along (the guy that rogers was supposed to be but never became)

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    That and he really wasn't that good to begin with. Was impressive returning punts but Switzer took that job also.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Small detail - I don't think they have a "Designated to Return" anymore. Everyone is just on IR now and you can pick whoever you want to return after the set time period, you don't have to designate them in advance.

I saw right from the start that it was not expected to be a long-term injury with Olasafasafasafasdsadasfdsa ... perhaps they are also waiting to see how the roster situation plays out, or basically just waiting for someone else to get injured before they activate him. Not too many regular players with injuries this year, knock on wood.
    Yep

I truly think that the Steelers were waiting for “nature to take its course” and slide Olaqwerty onto the active roster once someone got injured. Thankfully, there hasn’t been an injury.

That said, once playoff time comes (when I believe that rosters have to be set), I’d activate Olasoup and demote Justin Hunter.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Maybe they have to wait because no one has been able to properly figure out exactly how to make his name fit on the jersey.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Lol...thanks

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yep

I truly think that the Steelers were waiting for “nature to take its course” and slide Olaqwerty onto the active roster once someone got injured. Thankfully, there hasn’t been an injury.

That said, once playoff time comes (when I believe that rosters have to be set), I’d activate Olasoup and demote Justin Hunter.
    Watching preseason video of that kid gets me excited. Now I want to see what he can do against starting NFL linemen. Get him some practice reps, then work him into games late if you have a lead.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yep

Nah, it's not baseball, I think you are allowed to make roster moves even in the postseason. We've had some guys on IR in the not too distant past (A. Smith and I believe Pouncey) who we were holding on the IR-to-return list and hoping to activate if we made it to the Super Bowl. One time the 49ers even signed Charles Haley (who had last played for Dallas) the day before a playoff game and won it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/haley-u...-for-playoffs/

I don't know if you can take it to that extreme anymore - but on the other hand, people get hurt all the time, and if you're short a few players, I don't think you're supposed to be stuck with a 48-man roster or whatever. So maybe you still can.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Ola Adeniyi looks like he has real promise, but will probably get stashed on the practice squad and not on the 53. Honestly Bud Dupree has been playing well, Watt is on pace statistically for a pro bowl season, and Chickillo has been solid at ST and spot duty. I will expect him to make some noise in the next offseason though, but as of now, the team really has great chemistry going and I feel they're not going to mess with that much.

Unless he could play CB. Burns is the one guy who could torpedo everything if he has to see the field.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Needs to wait until he gets his own Tuesday morning radio show to release breaking news like that before Tomlin announces anything

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Needs to wait until he gets his own Tuesday morning radio show to release breaking news like that before Tomlin announces anything
    AD, I was literally trying to post the tweet and the page kept coming up blank when I previewed it. Ola got the word QUICK.