Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 11: Jacksonville Jaguars

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Week 11: Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Landry Jones is...
    I think my nephew might be.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Sure, I hope we put up 50 points too.

I'm not the most PC person in the world, but do you think that adjective is one that we should be using? I mean, if british people are talking about cigarettes, that is different.
    Yeah sorry man I just really hate these guys, tiger came out of the cage

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yeah sorry man I just really hate these guys, tiger came out of the cage
    You saying sorry is the real Tiger IMO, I can respect that. Thirty years ago we threw that word around like it was nothing, but we were wrong then. Was even a Dire Straits song lyric.

I still hope the Steelers put up 50 on the Jags too.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Bell for Ramsey and throw in Burns for good measure.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

You saying sorry is the real Tiger IMO, I can respect that. Thirty years ago we threw that word around like it was nothing, but we were wrong then. Was even a Dire Straits song lyric.

I still hope the Steelers put up 50 on the Jags too.
    So you are hoping the Steelers put up 50 on the fags?I mean jags sorry
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="hwalker84 will become famous soon enough">

I'm flying down for the game. Anyone hosting a tailgate?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    So you are hoping the Steelers put up 50 on the fags?I mean jags sorry
    If they were playing in England, this might not be so redneck. http://www.cigarettespedia.com/index...:Berkshire.GIF

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

If they were playing in England, this might not be so redneck
    They call cigarettes 'fags' in England? That's retarded.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Get ready for this hot take that goes after Tomlin for giving the Steelers Monday off after the Thursday night win if the Steelers lose to the Jags.

But maybe Tomlin bought some goodwill in the locker room by allowing the players to escape being asked more questions yesterday about you know who on Reporting Deadline Eve

Ray Fittipaldo: It's a different approach. After a win this late in the season he was going to give them off Friday. The surprise was being off today. This is that so-called bonus day of practice and game-planning. Rest assured the players already have the game plan, or most of it. Just have an extra day off practice is all. I don't think it's a big deal, but it will be if they lose to a 3-6 Jaguars team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/11/12/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-11-12-18/stories/201811120078

The steelers are much better against the Run this year.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

All they need to do is throw to Fournette out of the backfield. No one covers the backs...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    All they need to do is throw to Fournette out of the backfield. No one covers the backs...lol.
    Fournette is far from being good as the RB of the Panthers as receiver ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Doesn’t matter. You could catch the ball out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    True, if the gameplan is to throw to Fournette a lot and not hand it off to him....that will be great for the Steelers. I'm more concerned if VW or Bostic can get to the edges on an outside zone run before Fournette runs past them for a long run. That is what he did a lot last season.

I'm not the most PC person in the world, but do you think that adjective is one that we should be using?

^ Not for the easily- offended.

Absolutely, I think we should be using it. The word itself is funny and isn't the problem.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Ugh...they're going to kick our ass!

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post

^ Not for the easily- offended.

Absolutely, I think we should be using it. The word itself is funny and isn't the problem.
    I mean that is hilarious and all, it really is....BUT...not sure a dude who thinks wanking it in front of folks that don't want to see him engage in that activity is the best supporting evidence you can provide

not sure a dude who thinks wanking it in front of folks that don't want to see him engage in that activity is the best supporting evidence you can provide
    Ad Hominem, defense; attacking the person instead of the argument. 10 yard penalty from the spot of the foul, automatic first down.

I don't approve of his actions either, but I do agree with his opinion on the matter. His being odious doesn't make him wrong.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ad Hominem; attacking the person instead of the argument. I don't approve of his actions, but I agree with his opinion on the matter.
    If you are using an opinion from a specific individual to back up a claim, the qualifications of that individual come into question.

For instance if I wanted to advance something anti-Semitic and used Hitler's speeches to back up my claims, then you countered my position by suggesting I should be cautious about the source of my supporting evidence - you would have a valid point. If I attempted to side-step any discussion of that reality with claims of "ad hominen" or "straw man", I would be being more than slightly disingenuous.

Now, If I just started calling Louis CK a misogynist piece of garbage that was a symbol of the oppressive patriarchy and yet another example of toxic masculinity and on and on...then your claims of "Straw Man" would be more than a valid ending to any further discussions.

However, I am not disparaging his character or intellect or something else that I can not prove. I am simply point out, mostly to be a smart-ass, that deploying the thoughts and musings of an individual who thought that forcing people to watch him fiddle with his bits is not the best arrow to pull out of the quiver in a discussion about the use of offensive terms.

And now, I think I've wrapped up about everything on internet...jammed Hitler in there, referenced social justice, made a dick joke, we covered popular logical fallacies, and that ought to wrap things up here...

...In all seriousness, I wasn't really trying to come at you. I grew up throwing that word and "gay" around as adjectives, nouns, adverbs, and a variety of other parts of speech rarely in any attempt to hurt anyone. But the bottom line is that whether we mean it to or not, it is wildly hurtful and offensive to a great number of wonderful people. So, as I've gotten older I've made great efforts to stop using those terms, several others along the same lines, and I think I'm a marginally better person for it.

If you are using an opinion from a specific individual to back up a claim, the qualifications of that individual come into question.
    I disagree. The argument itself is either valid or it is not. If it is fallacious, then counter it. Do that, 'cuz we're over this whole "political correctness" garbage.
    You are not in charge of what words the rest of us get to use.

Nuthin' personal, just being logical

I disagree. The argument itself is either valid or it is not. If it is fallacious, then counter it. Do that, 'cuz we're over this whole "political correctness" garbage.
    You are not in charge of what words the rest of us get to use.

Nuthin' personal, just being logical
    Hair trigger much? I wasn't trying to be in charge of any words you use. However, if you, or anyone else, wants to throw around words that many think are offensive or inappropriate, be prepared to be called out for being an ignorant, inconsiderate SOB.

The reason that "fag" or "faggot" is offensive is because it carries the meaning that anyone who is not a heterosexual male is somehow less important, powerful, worthwhile, valuable, and worthy of consideration. It is word that was designed and largely used to marginalize and exclude a significant segment of society from having any acknowledgement and consigning them to the shadows and secrecy by demarcating their words, actions, behaviors, sexual preferences, and lifestyle as only worthy of scorn and mockery rather than equality and legitimacy.

Replace the word with any other slur and you have the same basic structural argument. I never said you or anyone else had to change your word choices. I shared my personal thoughts on the matter. And this whole thing started off with an attempt to be humorous.

But since you want to set it all up to be some sort of intense fight on what is and is not valid and who gets to determine validity, have a great time. I could give a shit.

Mojo,
    We all know "the reasons why". We simply no longer care when people take it upon themselves to act all offended on behalf of others, going all "some might find that deeply hurtful" or "you mustn't say that because..."
    If somebody around here refers to an *actual* gay dude as "faggot", we'll all jump on him because it's a DB way to behave. In the meantime, none of us appreciate self- appointed language police.

Mojo,
    We all know "the reasons why". We simply no longer care when people take it upon themselves to act all offended on behalf of others, going all "some might find that deeply hurtful" or "you mustn't say that because..."
    If somebody around here refers to an *actual* gay dude as "faggot", we'll all jump on him because it's a DB way to behave. In the meantime, none of us appreciate self- appointed language police.
    Well, since none of that actually happened, I'm not sure what the blue hell you are talking about.

If somebody around here actually attempts to police your language then you can jump all over them. In the meantime when I try to make a wise-ass remark about serial masturbation, maybe calm the hell down?

https://youtu.be/xIgDOehIoS0?t=59

Calmer than you are

I mean, sorry... but when somebody gets all wound- up and blurts out "I hope we hang 50 points on those faggots" and you *don't* laugh, then you're *way* too wound- up. That ish is objectively funny. He's not attacking them for being gay or even disparaging gay people. It has nothing whatsoever to do with that. All the PC crap just ruins the "funny" for the rest of us... You realize how many *actual* gay people commented on that video saying they thought it was hilarious?

Have a wonderful night,
    -Slashy

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I mean that is hilarious and all, it really is....BUT...not sure a dude who thinks wanking it in front of folks that don't want to see him engage in that activity is the best supporting evidence you can provide
    Louis CK masterbsting in public. Who saw that coming???... I mean, besides those 5 women.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Louis CK masterbsting in public. Who saw that coming???... I mean, besides those 5 women.
    ^ See? Now *That's* funny
    / or maybe it's just me

https://youtu.be/xIgDOehIoS0?t=59

Calmer than you are

I mean, sorry... but when somebody gets all wound- up and blurts out "I hope we hang 50 points on those faggots" and you *don't* laugh, then you're *way* too wound- up. That ish is objectively funny. He's not attacking them for being gay or even disparaging gay people. It has nothing whatsoever to do with that. All the PC crap just ruins the "funny" for the rest of us... You realize how many *actual* gay people commented on that video saying they thought it was hilarious?

Have a wonderful night,
    -Slashy
    Sigh. I don't know how to make this any clearer. I think CK is hilarious and was one of the funniest guys to ever take the stage. Turns out he is kinda of crappy person, but doesn't change the fact that he is funny. Never said it did.

If you don't see the humor in countering a poster's comment that maybe the original post was not the best word choice with a claim that the PC language police is bullshit and we shouldn't get hung up on it while using the thoughts and comments of an individual that has himself been caught up in a massive PC furball, then I can't explain it any further. I mean if that isn't some ironic stuff right there, I don't know what is. The bench for comedians and satirists that have lampooned PC language issues is deep and varied. The selection of CK to support the point is objectively hilarious from several different angles.

It would be like trying to defend Todd Haley or Hue Jackson's coaching decisions by posting clips of Rich Kotite's brilliant strategic maneuvers.

I hope the Steelers violate the Jags as easily and often as Trump or Clinton violates their marriage vows. I hope at the end of the game the Jaguars are crying salty tears in the same amount that social justice liberals do when they watch election results. Feel better now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    ^ See? Now *That's* funny
    / or maybe it's just me
    Yeah, that is extremely funny and made me laugh. Why wouldn't it?