Thread: Ravens, John Harbaugh headed to a mutual parting of ways; in-season firing not discussed

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Ravens, John Harbaugh headed to a mutual parting of ways; in-season firing not discussed

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Ravens, John Harbaugh headed to a mutual parting of ways; in-season firing not discussed

They haven't been to the postseason since 2014? Didn't realize it had been that long.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Ravens, John Harbaugh headed to a mutual parting of ways; in-season firing not discussed

The 2012 Super Bowl was a both a blessing and a curse for the Ravens. They won the Super Bowl, now they're forced to pay Bert a ransom for three good playoff games. Ray Lewis and that core left, and that was the end of it.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ravens are looking at starting over in 2019. Ozzie's retiring, and if Hairball goes, they could be drastically different.

(Note to teegre Newsome: how much to pull enough strings to get Hue Jackson hired as Ravens head coach) lol

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Hope the Browns do not hire him - my guess is the Browns are gunning for a thirtysomething alleged offensive genius

Harbaugh got on my last nerve but he is a good cosch

Unless he wants to take a year off he will be hired quickly

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Harbaugh should go into the booth. He is a typical a*hole and would fit in perfectly.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

OVER-RATED. There is not a consistently more overrated coach in the league.

This year he manages to resurrect the brilliant dual-QB scheme that the noted offensive genius Buddy Ryan had the Eagles run with Jaworski and Cunningham in 1986. Shockingly it had just as crappy results 3 decades later.

Every time his team has faced injuries and adversity, they have folded.

I can not think of one thing Harbaugh has done that has improved the team. They rode the back of a great defense and have attempted to reload that defense. Anytime the defense has struggled, the team has fallen flat. Harbaugh and an array of offensive coaches have never been able to consistently move the ball or score points on offense.

Much of this could be bad drafting and being tied to Flacco -- but if we are going to take a "buck stops here" approach to evaluating coaches, then I don't get the Harbaugh love.

After the 2012 SB, age and other factors degraded the roster. Harbs responded with 2 winning seasons.

After the 2010 SB age and other factors degraded the Steelers roster. Tomlin responded with 5 winning seasons. Push it to after the 2011 season and you still get 4 winning seasons.

He will get a job quickly after being fired from the Ravens. If for no other reason than the NFL is a closed fraternity. If at his next stop he gets a good roster, he will have success. If not, he will continue to be a mediocre coach.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

The Browns are in the market.
    Harbaugh would be a fool to take the job, but I don't think anyone can argue that he's not an improvement for them.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Ravens are looking at starting over in 2019. Ozzie's retiring, and if Hairball goes, they could be drastically different.

(Note to teegre Newsome: how much to pull enough strings to get Hue Jackson hired as Ravens head coach) lol
    I’ve offered Nick Saban $15 million/season... but, he told me to go f*ck myself.

#bama

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Longtime Ravens reporter observes this is odd timing for annoucing Harbaugh stays

The announcement came at 7 p.m. and apparently caught a number of coaches and team officials off guard. Maybe it would have been better if owner
    Steve Bisciotti would have tweeted it out. ...

But the Ravens are taking a gamble by making the announcement at this point. They are still struggling in attendance with nearly 10,000 no-shows at each of the past two games.

Harbaugh has a lot of critics in Baltimore who believe the team is in need of change and a new direction. If they don’t get into the playoffs, they will suffer again in ticket sales regardless of Jackson.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...221-story.html

Maybe a means to fire everyone up for the Chargers game?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Harbaugh doesnt have a lot of talent to work with and they're cap strapped with giving an average QB such a huge contract

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    The Browns are in the market.
    Harbaugh would be a fool to take the job, but I don't think anyone can argue that he's not an improvement for them.
    I think the Browns are fools if they change what they have going right now. Williams is doing a good job and Kitchens has the offense clicking. Why change what is working? Yea, I know... it's the Browns.