Thread: Unpopular Opinions: James Conner should be in MVP discussion

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Unpopular Opinions: James Conner should be in MVP discussion

Listen, I don't try to live my life as a contrarian. That's not true -- I kind of do. I spend a lot of time in public houses and taverns, and I have a two-hour commute that allows me to hear a lot of the sports world's most popular opinions. Sometimes, I think it's best to take a look at the other side.

In this space, I articulate positions that are the opposite of what most people think -- unpopular opinions, if you will -- and explain why, well, my unpopular opinions are right and everyone else is wrong. Here is my take on a very valuable second-year phenom.

The drama surrounding embattled Steelers running back (and LA Fitness basketball maven) Le'Veon Bell has been one of the dominant NFL storylines this season. The kind of "will he or won't he" trope that you might see on some cheesy CW soap opera. No, not "Riverdale." I said cheesy soap, not the greatest non-WWE show on television. But here's the truth: While Bell has dominated the news, James Conner has stolen the show.

Conner, who rushed for 144 total yards in 14 games as a rookie third-round pick in 2017, was a feel-good sensation during the first week of this season. He had a pair of touchdowns and 192 scrimmage yards as the Steelers were able to escape Cleveland with a tie. I know, a tie, right? Conner wasn't really taken that seriously as a threat to keep it up, though. He was given dismissive, "isn't that nice" accolades. The kind of thing you give to a toddler the first time they learn how to ring the doorbell on Halloween.

Conner was like the dude on those soaps who hangs out with his best friend's girlfriend while he's away for the summer. And you know that stuff never works. Because that guy (Bell, in this case) comes back to school in the fall and he's just shocked and flummoxed to learn that his (former) best friend and his (now former) girlfriend are a couple. Like, Conner didn't mean to fall in love with the Steelers' starting running back spot. It just kind of happened.

And he didn't just take the starting job from Bell and run with it. He might snag the MVP award, too. Well, probably not. Patrick Mahomes is going to win this thing, isn't he? Or Todd Gurley? Conner is at least going to be in the conversation. Let me phrase that a little bit better: He should be in the conversation.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...edium=referral

This article was before the Panthers games.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Unpopular Opinions: James Conner should be in MVP discussion

That was a very engaging read.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I don't think that opinion is very unpopular.

But counterpoint: The very fact that he did it calls into question how much credit he can personally take for the stats. How much of this is him, how much is the fact that he's running behind the best line, has the best RB coach, and is on an offense that is so explosive that the defense can't ignore anyone on the field?

Me personally, I think he should be considered for MVP because he basically saved our season with the Bell holdout.
    Last edited by GoSlash27; 11-11-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The biggest intangible is that he made the Bell holdout insignificant for the team. Now he won't get votes for that but that's worth a few more TDs and scrimmage yards IMHO.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He's already the frontrunner for team MVP so far

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Most valuable is still BR. It would be hard to win without BR.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'd still say O-line and Ben are more valuable. With Ben as a threat to move the ball through the air and an elite o-line capable of blowing open holes, I really don't think it's far off statement to say that that helps elevate the starting RB and that a good amount of RBs (I won't say any or most) could find a lot of success in this offensive system with James Saxon as RB coach, Munchak's O-line, and Ben at QB

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I'd still say O-line and Ben are more valuable. With Ben as a threat to move the ball through the air and an elite o-line capable of blowing open holes, I really don't think it's far off statement to say that that helps elevate the starting RB and that a good amount of RBs (I won't say any or most) could find a lot of success in this offensive system with James Saxon as RB coach, Munchak's O-line, and Ben at QB
    I think this is exactly right.

We all love Conner, and rightly so. He’s the feel good story of the year for our team. His success is just so damn SATISFYING to us as fans given the whole Bell saga. Conner is the absolutely perfect guy to emerge at the perfect time for this city and this team. He’s a PITTSBURGH STEELER through and through.

It’s like, the good guy gets to win and the fans simply love it.

That being said, we don’t necessarily NEED him personally to get us the W on any given Sunday. He CERTAINLY helps, but let’s face it... this team goes as Ben and the O-line go.

Look at the Panthers game. Conner didn’t have to put up incredible numbers, or even play the entire game, for this team to be an offensive juggernaut.

If not for Mahomes’s UNBELIEVABLE season, I’d say BEN should be in the conversation for MVP moreso than Conner.

The big difference is that we expect it from Ben. Conner is the out of the blue, totally unforeseen story of the season, and therefore his story is gonna be the one that most captures our attention and our hearts.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Well that is true especially posting perfect games like last outing

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

MVP voters love dem some QB's. It will be Cindy Brady or Mahomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    MVP voters love dem some QB's. It will be Cindy Brady or Mahomes.
    It will be Mahomes or Brees.Maybe Gurley but this is a long shot right now.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    The QB is the heart & soul of a team... and always the most important player on the roster.

That said, if Gurley is being discussed, then so too should be Conner.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Conner isnt even the best player on the 3rd or 4th best team in the AFC, Ben is the Steelers MVP. Ben is one of the top QB in passing yardage, has a passer rating of over 100 and has a TD:INT ratio of 3 to 1.

James Conner is the "feel good" or "underdog" story at the present time. The 3rd round pick cancer survivor, who is getting a huge workload, because the Steelers don't have another backup RB. He is playing outstanding, but is he really Most Valuable or even More Valuable than the 5 big men in front of him?? I don't think he will be, nor should he be in the league MVP conversation.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It will be Mahomes or Brees.Maybe Gurley but this is a long shot right now.
    Forgot about Brees. If the Saints keep rolling it's his to lose at this point.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Is this guy talking about Conner?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is this guy talking about Conner?
    yes and it was in july.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

yes and it was in july.
    So I looked it up and Ed Walter is just a loud dude on Twitter that seems to like the Pittsburgh Steelers. He has 36 followers. Clearly a knowledgeable source on the capabilities and evaluation of NFL talent.

Twitter is a toilet. So some grumpy old dude from Western PA can't evaluate RB talent. Why does the world need to know this?

I mean I didn't think Conner was a lead back and I thought he would be average at best in the passing game. I think the Steelers were concerned about that as indicated by the presence of two RBs on the roster who specialize in the passing game. I mean, I didn't broadcast it on Twitter, the sewer of humanity, but I still thought that way as recently as after the draft. My opinion started to change once preseason games showed how much progress Conner had made.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So I looked it up and Ed Walter is just a loud dude on Twitter that seems to like the Pittsburgh Steelers. He has 36 followers. Clearly a knowledgeable source on the capabilities and evaluation of NFL talent.

Twitter is a toilet. So some grumpy old dude from Western PA can't evaluate RB talent. Why does the world need to know this?

I mean I didn't think Conner was a lead back and I thought he would be average at best in the passing game. I think the Steelers were concerned about that as indicated by the presence of two RBs on the roster who specialize in the passing game. I mean, I didn't broadcast it on Twitter, the sewer of humanity, but I still thought that way as recently as after the draft. My opinion started to change once preseason games showed how much progress Conner had made.
    It's just that I laughed when I saw this comment and it's not the only comment that was funny in the comments section!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It's just that I laughed when I saw this comment and it's not the only comment that was funny in the comments section!
    I mean if you introduce the tweet that you are pointing folks in the direction of some funny takes on Conner in hindsight, then it fits. But just dropping it in, I'm not certain what I was supposed to do with it...

...Not your fault. I just think that Twitter is about the worst medium for communication ever devised. It just give a megaphone to stupid.