Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell is unlikely to report to the team by Tuesday's deadline

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Re: Le'Veon Bell is unlikely to report to the team by Tuesday's deadline

Bell will only be missed if Conner is injured. There is a clear drop off to Ridley. I like Samuels, but he is not the threat that Conner or Bell would be obviously.
    Bell will never recoup this $14.5M he has left on the table. It would be fitting to get #7 this year without him, while he goes to an over paying bottom feeder and has 3 forgettable seasons before retiring due to wear and tear.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I don't know why everyone's saying we get a 3rd round pick. If Bell sucks as much as everyone says he does, we're not going to get anything for him. Moreover, if we go out and pick ourselves up a good CB or LB like everyone wants, it'll negate a 3rd round pick pretty fast. Now, if we also lose Foster in the offseason, it'll help us out some with picks. How, I'm not sure, but it will.
    Because for the compensation pick, the only thing that is important is the salary ....I mean, the steelers had a 3rd round pick for Mike Wallace, though he was not very good in his first year with Miami and the steelers only had a 5th round pick for Sanders despite his monster season with Denver at his first season.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Because for the compensation pick, the only thing that is important is the salary ....I mean, the steelers had a 3rd round pick for Mike Wallace, though he was not very good in his first year with Miami and the steelers only had a 5th round pick for Sanders despite his monster season with Denver at his first season.
    Yep

The comp picks have nothing to do with performance; it is based off of salary. Ergo, we actually want Bell to get a $20 million/season deal. That way (as steelreserve has mentioned) if we sign a free agent or two, those salaries would would be offset, and we’d still get a R3 comp pick.

Honestly though, there aren’t any free agents hitting the market worth even half of Bell’s contract; plus, the Steelers simply don’t sign “big name” free agents. What will happen is: we will re-sign/extend “our” players (which does not factor into the comp picks)... and get a R3 in 2020 for Bell.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    What will happen is: we will re-sign/extend “our” players (which does not factor into the comp picks)... and get a R3 in 2020 for Bell.
    The extra $$$ from Bell may allow the Steelers to be more realistic on an extension for Ben and structure a contract where much of the bonus will be paid off while he is still playing rather than have a big dead money hit when Ben retires since there would be several years to run on the usual let's pretend length of his contract to amortize the bonus

Lots of contracts that could be extended prior to start of next season

Contracts that expire after 2018 season
    Foster

Contracts that expire after 2019 season (other than Ben Steelers traditionally negotiate extensions before start of regular season for last year of contract)
    Ben
    Pouncey
    Gilbert
    Haden
    Dupree
    Davis
    Hargrave

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...ers/contracts/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The extra $$$ from Bell may allow the Steelers to be more realistic on an extension for Ben and structure a contract where much of the bonus will be paid off while he is still playing rather than have a big dead money hit when Ben retires since there would be several years to run on the usual let's pretend length of his contract to amortize the bonus

Lots of contracts that could be extended prior to start of next season

Contracts that expire after 2018 season
    Foster

Contracts that expire after 2019 season (other than Ben Steelers traditionally negotiate extensions before start of regular season for last year of contract)
    Ben
    Pouncey
    Gilbert
    Haden
    Dupree
    Davis
    Hargrave

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...ers/contracts/
    Exactly

They have the option to...

a) prepare for Ben’s retirement, by paying off his salary now.

b) extend their core group of players.

c) go for broke and “Win now!!!” by splurging on free agents.

SUMMATION:
    I’m betting on a little bit from A and a little bit from B (a la Grampa Simpson).

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Exactly

SUMMATION:
    I’m betting on a little bit from A and a little bit from B (a la Grampa Simpson).
    What they will probably do:

1. Actually pay Bud Dupree the $10 million option like we were afraid of

2. Don't draft a pass rusher above like the 5th round for the next few years

3. "But we don't have anyone!"

4. Overpay Dupree on a multi-year contract

5. He immediately gets hurt and is never the same, which is really too bad because he was never very good to begin with

6."But who would YOU have taken???"

6a. "You can't say anyone below round 1 - everybody passed on them at least once!"

6b. "See! By this flawless logic, it is impossible to ever find a player at any position we want without a top-10 pick! Signing Dupree was the only option! See how I argue!"

7. Also no comp pick for Bell
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Exactly

SUMMATION:

Hargrave - shouldn't break the bank he hasn't been stellar and his pos is not a " back up the brinks truck " kind of pos unless you are Uber elite ...

Pouncey - Honestly not sure he wants to play anywhere else , so as long as your offer is not a slap in the face he probably takes it ..

Gilbert - Now may be the best time to lock him down a season where he has shown to not be the picture of health and coming off a league suspension

Haden - I believe will stay as long as the team extends an offer ( like Pouncey just do not insult him ) he has been elsewhere he knows life outside of Pittsburgh

Dupree - I have no " feel" for this one ..... hard to say he has been lackluster his entire stay here save the past few weeks .....

Davis - I could be wrong but at this point , I do not believe he has done enough to make a strong market for himself , that could change ....

Ben - I think its all on him , I think he is a Steeler for life ( wifes family ) would never forgive him if he left the Burgh , and I do not think Ben wants to play anywhere else

Foster isn't going ANYWHERE he has been a staple since entering the lineup as a starter
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I do not know what will be Roethlisberger's next contract if he stays with us, that I expect

It could be 30 million a year like Matt Ryan, Rodgers have had and several QB's going to have a contract of over 30 million in the next few years like Wilson, Goff and Wentz but at the same time, Brees has only had 25 million a year on a 2 years contract on the open market, which was less than Kirk Cousins ... Of course he wanted to stay with the saints and maybe he took a little a paycut or it was because of his age, but Roethlisberger could have a smaller contract also because of his age .... we'll see.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

100% agree with Rex!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

How many of these due to coming back from injuries though?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Bell will be broke and out of the NFL in less than 3 years.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Bell will be broke and out of the NFL in less than 3 years.
    he has already thrown more money away than probably all of us board members ( in our lifetimes combined ) this year alone

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Aaand we have a winner ladies and gentlemen!

Послато са Mi A1 уз помоћ Тапатока

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

I like to think that someone is firing all of these tweets back at LB
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Great article by Jim Wexell. Thanks for posting it, Mr. Shoes.

All Bell needs to do is report by 4:00 PM Eastern on Tuesday. Do it, LeVeon!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    All Bell needs to do is report by 4:00 PM Eastern on Tuesday. Do it, LeVeon!
    You know... or not. Whichever.
    Either way, the train rolls on.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    WELL 2018 would be his best season to date if they gave Conner a #26 jersey because he's blowing up.

I'll laugh if we win the SB this year without him, that'll be a sweet piece of bling he'll never be getting,, and you can't put a price tag on a championship
    No thanks. Keep him far away from anything #26 related. Conner is making #30 work just fine.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Wasn’t the whole point of him possibly coming back to accrue a season?

Wasn’t the whole point of accruing a season so that the Steelers could not tag him again at the same price?

Is that because HE NEVER SIGNED A SECOND TENDER so NEXT YEAR would be his second franchise tag, rather than his third?

- - - Updated - - -

By my count Bell has played exactly one season under a franchise tag. Not two.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    What they will probably do:

1. Actually pay Bud Dupree the $10 million option like we were afraid of

2. Don't draft a pass rusher above like the 5th round for the next few years

3. "But we don't have anyone!"

4. Overpay Dupree on a multi-year contract

5. He immediately gets hurt and is never the same, which is really too bad because he was never very good to begin with

6."But who would YOU have taken???"

6a. "You can't say anyone below round 1 - everybody passed on them at least once!"

6b. "See! By this flawless logic, it is impossible to ever find a player at any position we want without a top-10 pick! Signing Dupree was the only option! See how I argue!"

7. Also no comp pick for Bell
    Okay Re-signing your own players doesn’t affect the comp picks. They could sign Dupree to a five year/ $70 million contract... and as long as they don’t sign any outside free agents, they’d still get a R3 for Bell.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

In opinion, if the Steelers can re tag him for 14 mil. They should do it. Then they make nice with Bell and sign him to a decent long term deal that is really good but not quite Gurley money, which Bell will take because he can’t negotiate with anyone else. Then the Steelers trade Bell and his reasonable long term deal to the Raiders for one of their first round picks.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Wasn’t the whole point of him possibly coming back to accrue a season?

Wasn’t the whole point of accruing a season so that the Steelers could not tag him again at the same price?

Is that because HE NEVER SIGNED A SECOND TENDER so NEXT YEAR would be his second franchise tag, rather than his third?

- - - Updated - - -

By my count Bell has played exactly one season under a franchise tag. Not two.
    Who knew this thread would become a labor law forum?

CBA says it is the number of times you are designated to be a franchise player, not the number of times you accept the tender pursuant to that designation and play under the tag, that controls the amount of the contract tender.

Steelers are not going to franchise tag Bell again since they want him out after this season and do not want to play chicken and tie up big $$ under their cap by applying the franchise tag again. But this isn't like trying to divine the meaning of the U.S. Constitution - the management and NFLPA reps who drafted this clause of the CBA are around to testify if the NFL and the Steelers want to fight it, which they do not.

Any Club that designates a player as a Franchise Player for the third time shall, on the date the third such designation is made, be deemed to have tendered the player a one year NFL Player Contract for the greater of: (A) the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) with the highest such average; (B) 120% of the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the player participated in the most plays during the prior League Year; or (C) 144% of his Prior Year Salary. (By way of example, a kicker desig-nated as a Franchise Player for the third time in the 2014 League Year would have a Required Tender equal to the greater of: (i) the average of the five largest 2013 Salaries for quarterbacks; (ii)120% ofthe average of the five largest 2013 Salaries for kickers; or (iii) 144% of the player’s own 2013 Salary.) If the Club designates the player as a Franchise Player for the third time, the designating Club shall be the only Club with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract. In lieu of designating such a player as a Franchise Player for the third time, any Club may designate such player as a Transition Player.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.n...u%201-5-15.pdf

Bell already has been designated twice in 2017 and 2018.

By virtue of his franchise-tag designation, Bell will make $14.5 million this season, assuming he ever signs the tender.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/03/leveon-bell-has-yet-to-report-as-steelers-running-back-continues-holdout-on-labor-day/?utm_term=.bd5833c68aa2

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Okay Re-signing your own players doesn’t affect the comp picks. They could sign Dupree to a five year/ $70 million contract... and as long as they don’t sign any outside free agents, they’d still get a R3 for Bell.
    Yeah, they'll have so much cap space that they'll feel fine wasting $10M on Dupree ... then they'll actually have enough cap space after that to sign free agents that they'll get nothing for Bell.

Simply the presence of so much extra space is likely to cause them to make a stupid move with Dupree, because that's just the kind of shit that happens with players like this.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah, they'll have so much cap space that they'll feel fine wasting $10M on Dupree ... then they'll actually have enough cap space after that to sign free agents that they'll get nothing for Bell.

Simply the presence of so much extra space is likely to cause them to make a stupid move with Dupree, because that's just the kind of shit that happens with players like this.
    Okay... and again, if they give Dupree $10 million, that has zero bearing on the comp pick.

They “could” sign $20 million in free agents, but when was the last time that the Steelers did that? Really. I’ll answer: never. Conversely, when they have cap space, they tend to extend existing players.

Ergo, expect VW, Conner, Dupree, Hilton, Pouncey, and Haden to see the majority of that money... and... we will then get a R3 comp pick for Bell.