Thread: It’s time to put the job Mike Tomlin has done this season under proper perspective

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

It’s time to put the job Mike Tomlin has done this season under proper perspective

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: It’s time to put the job Mike Tomlin has done this season under proper perspective

And that is??

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: It’s time to put the job Mike Tomlin has done this season under proper perspective

Cheerleader.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Well, 2 of the locker room cancers are gone named MB and LB.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    It helps a lot!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think he got new sunglasses and all that started the win streak.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

It's all hippo mind tricks and smoke mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Finally. Tomlin gets some credit for the leadership he provides. Mike T will never be remembered as the best X's and O's guy or some innovative schemer, but he is a darn good head coach.

Every darn year the Pats muck around for like the first 6 weeks and tinker with this and tinker with that until they get it all dialed in by about this time of the season. Tomlin's teams do the same thing and he gets criticized for slow starts.

Pats go to the playoffs with just enough defense to make a run and get praised for "making it all work". Steelers do the same, and Tomlin gets criticized for allowing Butler to use oxygen.

Recent events show that Haley is toxic and prone to going off the reservation. They had to trade Hyde so Haley would play the RBs the team wanted him to! But for how many years Tomlin kept Haley (mostly) in line. No credit was given for that. Side note -- it is becoming pretty clear that Arians (well and Haley) is a big drinker. Tomlin seemed to have kept that from becoming a problem -- again no credit.

The list of players that the fanbase wanted thrown over the side and have developed into useful to good parts of the team is pretty darn long. Mike T deserves at least some credit for that.

Continuing to create a place where players want to play. Guys like Burnett and Bostic likely could've signed on with at least a few other teams. They chose to come here.

Then there is the whole L. Bell saga. Up to this point, been handled well. I bet you dollars to donuts that it gets handled well from here on out as well.

I know that I am a pretty hard-core Tomlin cheerleader, but I truly feel he simply doesn't get enough credit. Especially because other head coaches get lauded over and over again for doing the same thing Tomlin does.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Couldn’t agree more that Tomlin’s best attribute as a coach is his leadership.
    It’s certainly tested with the “me first” attitude that pops up now and then. (MB, LB, and AB to a lesser degree)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think he got new sunglasses and all that started the win streak.
    Mirrored sunglasses!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Tomlin 2-0 with the magnum PI shades?

I was impressed, i think Tomlin showed growth this year as a coach. I may have been quick to judge Butler too, the defense is starting a turnaround.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    It's all hippo mind tricks and smoke mirrors
    Do you still have the "Cool Shades Hippo" somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Finally. Tomlin gets some credit for the leadership he provides.
    Not to worry - it will all go back out the window immediately following the next loss when Cowherd, Bradshaw, et al. all pile back on about what a "cheerleader" he is and how he isn't "buttoned up" and the murmurs of "Rooney Rule hire" will echo throughout Yinzerdom once again.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    LB was never a locker room cancer. There are enough accurate derogatory labels to put on him; we don’t need to invent any.

Does anyone have one link or one quote by anyone who has been in a locker room with LB, and said that LB was in any way anything but a source of positivity when he was there?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It all started when Tomlin lost the locker room.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I think Tomlin's big rap has always been "playing down to the opponent". We have a 2 game stretch here that should be "gimmes". *If* we can beat them in convincing fashion, then it will do a lot to turn down the noise.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Do you still have the "Cool Shades Hippo" somewhere?
    lol.. had it in an old folder

and I found this with it

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    LB was never a locker room cancer. There are enough accurate derogatory labels to put on him; we don’t need to invent any.

Does anyone have one link or one quote by anyone who has been in a locker room with LB, and said that LB was in any way anything but a source of positivity when he was there?
    He wasn't before but I do believe he would be now

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    It all started when Tomlin lost the locker room.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    lol.. had it in an old folder

and I found this with it

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Finally. Tomlin gets some credit for the leadership he provides. Mike T will never be remembered as the best X's and O's guy or some innovative schemer, but he is a darn good head coach.

Every darn year the Pats muck around for like the first 6 weeks and tinker with this and tinker with that until they get it all dialed in by about this time of the season. Tomlin's teams do the same thing and he gets criticized for slow starts.

Pats go to the playoffs with just enough defense to make a run and get praised for "making it all work". Steelers do the same, and Tomlin gets criticized for allowing Butler to use oxygen.

Recent events show that Haley is toxic and prone to going off the reservation. They had to trade Hyde so Haley would play the RBs the team wanted him to! But for how many years Tomlin kept Haley (mostly) in line. No credit was given for that. Side note -- it is becoming pretty clear that Arians (well and Haley) is a big drinker. Tomlin seemed to have kept that from becoming a problem -- again no credit.

The list of players that the fanbase wanted thrown over the side and have developed into useful to good parts of the team is pretty darn long. Mike T deserves at least some credit for that.

Continuing to create a place where players want to play. Guys like Burnett and Bostic likely could've signed on with at least a few other teams. They chose to come here.

Then there is the whole L. Bell saga. Up to this point, been handled well. I bet you dollars to donuts that it gets handled well from here on out as well.

I know that I am a pretty hard-core Tomlin cheerleader, but I truly feel he simply doesn't get enough credit. Especially because other head coaches get lauded over and over again for doing the same thing Tomlin does.

Good post.

Most fans just don't have the patience to let everything unfold over time. They love to just overreact to every single event as it happens.

Bad coaches don't have teams that consistently improve over the course of a season and react well to adversity.

This season isn't over. There may be more bumps in the road.

He has shown that there is nobody out there to deal with those bumps better than he has throughout his head coaching career.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Tomlin has done a great job righting the ship, but there's still more work to be done. This is still the same team that months ago couldn't stop Bortlememe and made legends out of the Jaguars.

And none of this even matters if the Steelers once more fail to get the job done this year. Letdown, here comes the talk. Fall in the playoffs (or fail to make it), and its back to square one. They have New England next month and Jacksonville is on deck. If this team truly is different from the underachievers of years past, they finish the work and don't letdown in the slightest.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It think the recent posts on this thread demonstrate an interesting divide.

Fans that feel that any season ending without a Lombardi trophy is a failure. And fans that feel that a playoff run level season is a success, even if it falls short of a SB.

Both sides are not wrong. It just depends on how you view it.

I've always had less of a problem with Tomlin and the various staff level coaches because I think that anything over 9-7 is a significant success in this day and age of the NFL. Especially if the team improves over the course of the season. Younger players develop in some fashion - even if those steps are halting. And the mistakes that get made are "new" mistakes.

I realize that is a seemingly low bar to clear. But in my opinion, only about 6-8 teams in the league clear that bar each season. Heard a quote from Mike Lombardi (yeah, he is a blowhard but still...) that it took him awhile to realize that not every team is trying to win a SB each season. Only a small percentage of NFL franchises are in that game each season. I think it is awesome to root for a franchise that is gunning for a Lombardi every year. However, falling short of that, while disappointing, doesn't automatically classify the season as a "failure".

None of what I wrote should anyone feel the need to agree with. If that isn't how you feel about a given Steelers season, no problem. Just an interesting divide between fans on this board that I thought I would offer some thoughts on.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It think the recent posts on this thread demonstrate an interesting divide.

Fans that feel that any season ending without a Lombardi trophy is a failure. And fans that feel that a playoff run level season is a success, even if it falls short of a SB.

Both sides are not wrong. It just depends on how you view it.

I've always had less of a problem with Tomlin and the various staff level coaches because I think that anything over 9-7 is a significant success in this day and age of the NFL. Especially if the team improves over the course of the season. Younger players develop in some fashion - even if those steps are halting. And the mistakes that get made are "new" mistakes.

I realize that is a seemingly low bar to clear. But in my opinion, only about 6-8 teams in the league clear that bar each season. Heard a quote from Mike Lombardi (yeah, he is a blowhard but still...) that it took him awhile to realize that not every team is trying to win a SB each season. Only a small percentage of NFL franchises are in that game each season. I think it is awesome to root for a franchise that is gunning for a Lombardi every year. However, falling short of that, while disappointing, doesn't automatically classify the season as a "failure".

None of what I wrote should anyone feel the need to agree with. If that isn't how you feel about a given Steelers season, no problem. Just an interesting divide between fans on this board that I thought I would offer some thoughts on.
    As a fan, my goal is to enjoy each game and enjoy the season. Last year was a very enjoyable season, even though it ended badly. It didn't take away from the memorable moments of the season. This year is shaping up about the same - lots to enjoy in this 5-game winning streak. I hope they win it all this year, but the odds are against it so I won't base my enjoyment on that one factor.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    As a fan, my goal is to enjoy each game and enjoy the season. Last year was a very enjoyable season, even though it ended badly. It didn't take away from the memorable moments of the season. This year is shaping up about the same - lots to enjoy in this 5-game winning streak. I hope they win it all this year, but the odds are against it so I won't base my enjoyment on that one factor.
    I try also to enjoy every season, especially when it's going well, but last year it was not a fun season because of the drama and the big expectations that the steelers had.

This year it's more fun, since it has less drama outside of the Le'Veon Bell situation than I do not even care anymore and the expectations are less there this year.So less pressure(less stressful) this year than last year for me.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    /thread
    /everydiscussionaboutTomlin

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Waiting for Bradshaw to rationalize it ....

oh hell who am I kidding he will NEVER admit to being wrong .....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Waiting for Bradshaw to rationalize it ....

oh hell who am I kidding he will NEVER admit to being wrong .....

He will simply say that the talent on the team is so strong that are able to overcome Tomlin's coaching.

You heard him talking about the Steelers Thursday, and how great everyone was playing.

He said Ben is playing great.

He said Conner is playing great.

He said the offensive line is playing great football.

He said the defense is playing very good football right now.

But he didn't mention anything about the head coach...…..hmmmmmm. I wonder why?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He will simply say that the talent on the team is so strong that are able to overcome Tomlin's coaching.

You heard him talking about the Steelers Thursday, and how great everyone was playing.

/thread
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post