Thread: Statistical Rankings among Playoff Teams

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Statistical Rankings among Playoff Teams

Looking only at the 12 teams that would make the playoffs if they started today, here is where the Steelers rank among the 12 at key statistical categories.

Offense:
    YPG 3rd
    PPG 4th
    Run 10th
    Pass 1st

Defense:
    YPG 3rd
    PPG 7th
    Run 4th
    Pass 6th
    Sacks 1st

Almost every category is trending the right direction. This is turning into a very balanced team.

- - - Updated - - -

One interesting note: the top 10 teams in passing defense are all non-playoff teams. The Rams come in at #11.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Statistical Rankings among Playoff Teams

Our running game and points allowed it's not great, but it's much better in the last 5 games and for our running game, it's a little misleading since the steelers used very little the running game in week 2 to 4.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The defense has turned it around nicely. Right now we rank #5 in the NFL for yards allowed per play, which IMO, exceeds the expectations we had for our defense. If this unit could be consistently top 10 then I think that's good enough to be a major contender. With this offense, we don't need a shutdown D anymore. If they really step up and become a top 5 unit, they could very well be the best in the league.

The current best teams have terrible defenses (KC, NO, NE). If we have one capable of making plays then it could be a deciding factor when playing them. This seems to be a different defense too, there's more team speed and less emphasis on stopping the run. IMO the gameplan against Carolina was to not let Cam Newton beat us at the expense of allowing McCaffery to get his yards (Linebackers coming in on blitzes seemed to just ignore McCaffery and zero in on Cam which almost seemed too consistent to not be by design). This isn't the traditional Steelers scheme where shutting down the run is a priority, I feel they've drafted and tailored their team to stop NE type offenses.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I can't believe we are 10th in rush. That seems low.

I was just looking at the Chargers schedule. What a soft schedule. The only two tough games they've had this year (KC & Rams) they lost.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I can't believe we are 10th in rush. That seems low.

I was just looking at the Chargers schedule. What a soft schedule. The only two tough games they've had this year (KC & Rams) they lost.
    I think it's because we are one of the few teams that rely on one back. It gives us the impression that we must rank high since our top back is doing great.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Some helpful info I've been tracking:

Performance by Elo rating

---------Elite-------------
    1694 NO__ 1680 KC
    1642 LAR__ 1651 PIT
    __________1629 NE
    ------Above Average--------
    1585 MIN__ 1611 LAC
    1584 CAR__ 1558 TEN
    1577 PHI
    1546 CHI
    1546 ATL
    --------Average------------
    1544 SEA___ 1542 BAL
    1524 DAL __ 1498 HOU
    1517 WSH __1481 CIN
    1487 GB
    -----Below Average---------
    1470 DET __1457 IND
    1424 TB___ 1455 JAX
    __________1438 DEN
    __________1427 MIA
    __________1419 BUF
    -----Dumpster Fires--------
    1387 ARI__ 1356 NYJ
    1384 SF___ 1350 CLE
    1372 NYG _ 1322 OAK
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think it's because we are one of the few teams that rely on one back. It gives us the impression that we must rank high since our top back is doing great.
    Agree and the steelers were last after week 4 since the running game was very little used.

Now they are 21st ... of course the only production of our running game is Conner

But the steelers have never been ranked high in the last couple year in the rushing stats even with Bell...20th last year, 14th in 2016, 16th in 2015 and also 16th in 2014

The Steelers have always been in the top 5 in passing yards since 2014 too.