Thread: WR corp -- 2019 vs 2018

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

WR corp -- 2019 vs 2018

I think our receiving corp is going to be better than last year's and I realize how ridiculous that sounds. But....... Juju will be better, even if playing against more doubles; I believe Washington builds off his late finish and excels; I think Moncrief finally having a QB shows his stuff and has a 60/800 kind of year. PLUS...... I think we either pickup a very good WR or pass-catching TE in the draft. All that plus Conner/Samuels out of the backfield to go with McDonald at TE and I think the whole (without the drama) will be better even if the individual parts aren't as great.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: WR corp -- 2019 vs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think our receiving corp is going to be better than last year's and I realize how ridiculous that sounds. But....... Juju will be better, even if playing against more doubles; I believe Washington builds off his late finish and excels; I think Moncrief finally having a QB shows his stuff and has a 60/800 kind of year. PLUS...... I think we either pickup a very good WR or pass-catching TE in the draft. All that plus Conner/Samuels out of the backfield to go with McDonald at TE and I think the whole (without the drama) will be better even if the individual parts aren't as great.
    I think they will be better, besides the talent the guys at those positions have a TEAM mentality.... Just need a TE in r1 to r3, no round 4-7, and no retreads.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I think they will be better, besides the talent the guys at those positions have a TEAM mentality.... Just need a TE in r1 to r3, no round 4-7, and no retreads.
    I hope this is the year that you find a TE under your 1st round tree!! You've waited a long time!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

They'll be solid, I'd say above average for sure, barring a rash of injuries. Moncrief provides a lot of security in the event that Washington does not have his breakout season, and the price was right.

I think if Washington does not step up, we bring Moncrief back in 2020 for $6M which is not bad for a #2 receiver, and we draft another WR next offseason who replaces Washington on the depth chart and gets a one-year rotational tryout as a rookie, sharing time with Moncrief to prove that we can definitely move on from Washington, who spends most of 2020 with nagging "injuries." In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that's exactly what happens.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I like the way they are shaping up so far. JuJu, Moncreif, Rogers with backups Washington, Switzer, and Rookie/Jones/Griffey looks better than it did one month ago.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Honestly, it all depends on how Washington does. If he is at least a viable threat, then it should work really well. If he is the total non-entity he was all last season, then they are in trouble.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If Washington pans out, I think the WR corps could be actually improved from last year.

Juju I have faith in that he'll be a solid #1 and I think it's a safe estimate that he could match or exceed 80% of AB's production. Can Washington be that #2? Moncrief brings speed to take the top off a defense. Also a big target, Ben should be happy. Considering this guy got 700 yards with Bortles passing to him, it's not out of the question that this guy could have been flying under the radar and is better than what his stats say.

Rogers being back earlier than week 14 gives us a reliable WR that's familiar with the system. Switzer was decent and had a year to learn the system.

What I'm seeing above is a lot deeper of a roster than AB / Juju who were, not to take anything away from them, arguably the best #1 and #2 duo in the league. Problem with that, was - Who's the #3? A rookie WR from a spread offfense who's getting a trial by fire, a punt returner who didn't have training camp to learn the system, and no eli rogers. Also first year growing pains of not having the Le'Veon Bell safety net.

This year, we have Rogers in week 1, Washington and Switz with a year of experience, and now James Conner / Samuels proving their worth in the passing game.

Are we in trouble without AB? I think not. The offense will still be a top 10 offense. Sure we'll miss the big play ability of AB, but I honestly think we'll be fine, and one thing we won't miss is the drama and distractions he brought. If anything, Ben might have a more efficient year as a passer since he doesn't have to deal with hurting the ego of a superstar by not forcing him the ball. I think Ben will spread the ball around more with a bigger emphasis on running the ball.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'm starting to get a feeling it's either big name WR early or Jalen Hurd late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

WR is the one position I don't worry about with the Steelers. They've shown over the last 15 years that WR is a position they KNOW how to develop (unlike CB). They'll be fine without AB

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'm starting to get a feeling it's either big name WR early or Jalen Hurd late.
    just curious, why Jalen Hurd?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    just curious, why Jalen Hurd?
    I think they can get him round 5-6. Fits their recent pattern of big tall raw explosive dart throw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think they can get him round 5-6. Fits their recent pattern of big tall raw explosive dart throw.
    Similarly, I wouldn't mind Mile Boykin out of ND. Similar build but faster. He will likely go in R2-3 though.

Similarly, I wouldn't mind Mile Boykin out of ND. Similar build but faster. He will likely go in R2-3 though.
    They do have a couple of extra picks....I'd support that idea if, especially if they passed on one of the "name" guys at the top of the draft.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

If choosing I pick 2018 but does it really matter which year is better with Ben?

Ben always seems to be competitive with whatever we have on offense.

Our achilles tendon is our defense and that will dictate how far we go in Ben's final years imo.

While I am fine with a TE or WR early as value dictates, I really think this has to be a primarily defensive draft for us to have a shot imo.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Seems like a mature guy, that sure is a plus these days.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/re...e-draft-visit/

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Not worried about the wr corps. I think Moncrief is a good addition and Washington will be much better than last year. Was tired of seeing Ben trying to force into a double covered AB (apparently trying to appease him?).

More worried about Conners fumbling and the Lb’s

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

more worried about Conner not being able to stay healthy and on the field, we need to draft another top RB

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    more worried about Conner not being able to stay healthy and on the field, we need to draft another top RB
    Him and Samuels should be good, with Trey Edmunds or Mid-round draft pick. I like how they used them in week 17, they didn't run either RB too much, but both near equally. I think the days of giving a RB 320+ carries a year is done, hopefully.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Him and Samuels should be good, with Trey Edmunds or Mid-round draft pick. I like how they used them in week 17, they didn't run either RB too much, but both near equally. I think the days of giving a RB 320+ carries a year is done, hopefully.
    RB Ty Johnson from Maryland looked really good at the Shrine game and practice week. Compact at 5'10" 213lbs, but strong runner and good quickness in run game and receiving.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I think the days of giving a RB 320+ carries a year is done, hopefully.
    I think Bell was ascared of Tomlin running the wheels off him, that's what I think......Conner better be prepared

Somehow a WR thread got turned into a RB thread.....

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Somehow a WR thread got turned into a RB thread.....
    What does that have to do with Devin Bush???

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    or that Ben is making all of our star players on offense leave?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Reggie or Devin?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Who did Christian Hackenberg throw passes too? Those WRs must be elite because that QB is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Reggie or Devin?
    George made his first hole-in-one at age 72 on Wednesday:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...t-72/23697873/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Speaking of former Presidents, George Clinton is making a comeback while touring with Roger & Zapp.

There were things AB and Bell did that made defenses leave other guys. As of today there is nobody on this team that is going to demand that kind of attention. Going to change the whole offense. I think the 2019 guys are good, but they just aren’t great. Bell, AB, and JuJu were great. And I understand Bell is neither a WR or played in 2018 but he was still signed. Had he come back, instant problem for the defense. That’s the impact.

Still need to add some dynamic weapons to the 2019 roster IMO. They do not need to replace AB and/or Bell but need to get players that can be great in their own way.