Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Antonio Brown cited for going 100+ mph on McKnight Road

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Steelers Antonio Brown cited for going 100+ mph on McKnight Road

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    If only we all rode jetskis.
    I'm gonna try paramotors next summer if my old bones can take it
    You only die once...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He would not have survived a crash at that speed seatbelt or not. It's fun until a deer runs out in front or he loses control thru a curve.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yep. Ask Pelle Lindberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yep. I did. 90 plus in a 30. 2x the legal limit. Had a car pull out on me going the other way and swung into my lane. I barely missed him. Let's just say I never did that again.
    I failed to mention, this was about two months after I received my license at age 16. In hindsight, I wasn't mature enough to be behind the wheel of a moving vehicle at the time.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Maybe AB was speeding back to his house this week to make sure nobody had robbed him again

AB had a bad week from April 17 - 24 earlier this year - but I suppose that goes with leading the lifestyle of the rich and famous

Brown, 30, called Northern Regional police April 17 to report that someone had stolen a safe from his Pine home. He told police it contained more than $2 million worth of jewelry, passports, a 9mm handgun and $50,000, a police report shows.

“That’s still an open case, and the investigation is ongoing,” Northern Regional police Chief Bob Amann told the Tribune-Review. ...

On April 23, Brown called police in Sunny Isles Beach, Fla., to report that someone had taken a handgun and tote bag containing $80,000 from a closet in his $35,000-a-month apartment, records show.
    The next day, police responded to calls about furniture being hurled from the apartment’s 14th-floor balcony. ...

Northern Regional police who responded to the reported Pine safe robbery found no sign of forced entry, and Brown told them only the safe and its contents appeared to be missing, according to a police report.

Investigators spoke initially with Brown and four Florida men police described as Brown’s “entourage,” including his personal barber, chef, trainer and assistant, the report said.

Brown told police he suspected a different personal assistant of stealing the safe. That man had access to the house key and was supposed to be watching over the house while Brown was away, Brown told police.

When contacted by police, the assistant denied taking the safe and told police that several people had regular access to Brown’s house, including women with whom Brown had children, at least one man Brown previously gave access to the safe and its code, “car people” and exotic fish tank caretakers who were “always in and out.”

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...eelers-antonio

For those keeping score that is $2 million in jewelry, $130,000 in cash, two handguns, passports, a safe and a backpack that are missing.

Recordings of the calls from AB to his insurance carrier to file claims on this must be comedy gold

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

You know, it really is tragic in a way. He's making all that cash, has no idea how to handle it, and is getting victimized (allegedly) by his so- called "friends". He'll be broke before he even retires from football at this rate. And of course everyone points and laughs because "eff him, he's rich".
    It's like all those people you hear about who wind up getting ruined by winning the lotto. It's easy for a man in his position to get rich, but he has no understanding of how to *be* rich. There should be some sort of mentorship program.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    You know, it really is tragic in a way. He's making all that cash, has no idea how to handle it, and is getting victimized (allegedly) by his so- called "friends". He'll be broke before he even retires from football at this rate. And of course everyone points and laughs because "eff him, he's rich".
    It's like all those people you hear about who wind up getting ruined by winning the lotto. It's easy for a man in his position to get rich, but he has no understanding of how to *be* rich. There should be some sort of mentorship program.

It's hard to wrap your head around it. They have all this money coming in, and they have no idea how to manage it. They don't always trust traditional investment options, but they trust a large group of people around them that many times came from nothing and are looking at the player as a meal ticket. Far too many times it is the people they think they can trust that end up taking all their money if they don't figure it out.

It's very sad. I hope this doesn't happen to AB. He needs to get a large chunk of cash into a safe investment that brings him a solid return to make sure he has nothing to worry about for the rest of his life.

It appears he also needs to reign in his spending habits as well. I hope someone approaches him about this and helps to get him on track.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's hard to wrap your head around it. They have all this money coming in, and they have no idea how to manage it. They don't always trust traditional investment options, but they trust a large group of people around them that many times came from nothing and are looking at the player as a meal ticket. Far too many times it is the people they think they can trust that end up taking all their money if they don't figure it out.

It's very sad. I hope this doesn't happen to AB. He needs to get a large chunk of cash into a safe investment that brings him a solid return to make sure he has nothing to worry about for the rest of his life.

It appears he also needs to reign in his spending habits as well. I hope someone approaches him about this and helps to get him on track.
    AB is the stereotypical pro athlete blowing through his earnings but there are alternative examples of what to do when a NFL player gets big rich.

His public image is that he is a meathead but someone who gets it is Rob Gronkowski

Gronkowski hasn’t spent a penny of his contract money from last season. In fact, he says he hasn’t touched any of his career NFL earnings, including the six-year $54 million contract he signed in 2012....

“I live off my marketing money and haven’t blown it on any big-money expensive cars, expensive jewelry or tattoos and still wear my favorite pair of jeans from high school.”

http://time.com/money/5367980/rob-gr...-nfl-contract/

Other players have followed models similar to Gronkowski's. Marshawn Lynch reportedly didn't touch his NFL earnings either. And Saquon Barkley, the New York Giants rookie running back, said he wasn't going to spend his NFL earnings and would instead live off his endorsements.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rob-...ookies-2018-10

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    AB is the stereotypical pro athlete blowing through his earnings but there are alternative examples of what to do when a NFL player gets big rich.
    There are, but most big money players have no understanding of how to do that and nobody is there to teach them the right way. Football players (for the most part) have no examples to emulate and no experience when it comes to social interaction and money management. There's a certain level of maturity that comes with leading a "normal" life that they are shielded from until it's too late.
    Perhaps the players you mentioned should start an education program The ABs of the league would actually listen to them and trust them.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

His public image is that he is a meathead but someone who gets it is Rob Gronkowski

Gronkowski hasn’t spent a penny of his contract money from last season. In fact, he says he hasn’t touched any of his career NFL earnings, including the six-year $54 million contract he signed in 2012....

“I live off my marketing money and haven’t blown it on any big-money expensive cars, expensive jewelry or tattoos and still wear my favorite pair of jeans from high school.”

http://time.com/money/5367980/rob-gr...-nfl-contract/

Other players have followed models similar to Gronkowski's. Marshawn Lynch reportedly didn't touch his NFL earnings either. And Saquon Barkley, the New York Giants rookie running back, said he wasn't going to spend his NFL earnings and would instead live off his endorsements.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rob-...ookies-2018-10

I understand that there are also so many that are smart with their money. I just wish that it was 100% of players that would take advantage of what they have earned.

There are many athletes that make more from endorsements than they do in salary playing the game.

I guess I just don't understand how there aren't money management groups that are established and run by former players and a core group of respected investors. They would have a built-in trust with current players, and be able to show how they have helped other athletes. It would also be easy for current players to talk to other players to find out the results they have gotten while investing in these groups.

It just seems like it should be a no-brainer to have a respected and reliable money management system with a built in trust factor with easy access to athletes.

I guess you can't force people to do what they don't want to do.

You can lead a horse to water.....

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I understand that there are also so many that are smart with their money. I just wish that it was 100% of players that would take advantage of what they have earned.

There are many athletes that make more from endorsements than they do in salary playing the game.

I guess I just don't understand how there aren't money management groups that are established and run by former players and a core group of respected investors. They would have a built-in trust with current players, and be able to show how they have helped other athletes. It would also be easy for current players to talk to other players to find out the results they have gotten while investing in these groups.

It just seems like it should be a no-brainer to have a respected and reliable money management system with a built in trust factor with easy access to athletes.
    The NFLPA has established a list of approved financial advisors but that does not always end well

However, the NFLPA list has been clouded by scandal in recent years amid reports of pros descending into bankruptcy within years of their retirement and lawsuits and regulatory penalties against advisors charged with fleecing their celebrity clients. Big brokerage firms have, in turn, sued some of the rogue advisors, several of whom were on the NFLPA approved list.

The issue gained renewed attention this summer when “Sports Illustrated” reported that retired running back Clinton Portis almost killed one of his advisors after losing millions of dollars based on their recommendations. Two of his advisors had the Players Association’s seal of approval.

https://advisorhub.com/nfl-players-a...-advisor-list/

Since even sophisticated investors can get scammed by con artists (see, Bernie Madoff), lots of $$ to young men who often have limited education and have dreamed of a garage full of Bentleys & Ferraris once they started getting the attention of scouts is going to lead to some train wrecks

The NFLPA has established a list of approved financial advisors but that does not always end well

However, the NFLPA list has been clouded by scandal in recent years amid reports of pros descending into bankruptcy within years of their retirement and lawsuits and regulatory penalties against advisors charged with fleecing their celebrity clients. Big brokerage firms have, in turn, sued some of the rogue advisors, several of whom were on the NFLPA approved list.

The issue gained renewed attention this summer when “Sports Illustrated” reported that retired running back Clinton Portis almost killed one of his advisors after losing millions of dollars based on their recommendations. Two of his advisors had the Players Association’s seal of approval.

https://advisorhub.com/nfl-players-a...-advisor-list/

Since even sophisticated investors can get scammed by con artists (see, Bernie Madoff), lots of $$ to young men who often have limited education and have dreamed of a garage full of Bentleys & Ferraris once they started getting the attention of scouts is going to lead to some train wrecks

Good stuff there Dan. Thanks for the links.

The other thing is that investment people can't make you put your money into risky investments. Part of the problem has to be that players are buying into businesses or shooting for the moon and expect 100% return on their money annually. Some of these guys could even be demanding a certain acceptable return on their money. When faced with producing 30% return on the investment, no money manager can provide a "safe" investment. There are none.

For crying out loud, they can just put their money into conservative CD's, municipal bonds, or fixed rate funds that pay preset interest rates and still make out if they have a large amount they are working from.

If there is $25 million in an account with just a 3% return on investment.....that's $750,000 annually! When you start talking about huge numbers, it doesn't take any risk to make real money. Some guys get signing bonuses that big.

The whole thing is just so sad when it is all right there in front of them.

My father passed away almost three years ago. I set up an investment strategy with an investment company speaking one-on-one with an advisor. I set the parameters of risk. I set up the payout of the 401K, managed stocks and other investments by deciding what should be kept and what should be converted to a more conservative approach. You do need some understanding of finances and investing, but if the expectations are kept reasonable and everything you do is to make sure that you don't blow all the money by dealing in all high-risk investments.....you should make out OK and provide yourself with a good lifestyle. That is, as long as the expectations are within the realm of possible and you have any understanding of what can happen if you only have A and you keep spending B.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the simple solution would be to invest in utilities .... sure the returns are low percentage , BUT they are not in the business of losing money ......

buy land ..... never will be any more of it and more and more people all the time
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now