Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Draft: CORNERBACKS

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

2019 Draft: CORNERBACKS

OLB... need
    ILB... huge need
    CB... top need

No chance:
    Greedy Williams, LSU... top 10
    DeAndre Baker, Georgia... top 10, my favorite

Realistic:
    Julian Love, Norte Dame
    Iman Marshall, USC
    Amani Oruwariye, Penn St.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 2019 Draft: CORNERBACKS

My favorite at this time is Kendall Sheffield, OSU. If he declares he's #1 on my wish list.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    My favorite at this time is Kendall Sheffield, OSU. If he declares he's #1 on my wish list.
    Noted

Who else? I’m thinking we go CB in R1 and R4.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Noted

Who else? I’m thinking we go CB in R1 and R4.
    Still too much time to predict who will go when. So many things still in motion at this point. There are some 'smaller school' guys that could fall to round 3-4 or could rise up the boards.

Nik Needham from UTEP is a guy to watch. Kareem Orr transferred to Chattanooga from AZ State is an off the radar player. Jordan Wyatt from SMU is another guy that could be found as a mid round value.

Mook Reynolds of VT is expected to play box safety in the NFL. Interesting guy to watch there. If Davis is staying at FS need a prospect to groom at SS maybe. Is Edmunds going to play SS or ILB? Interchangeable pieces? Some intrigue here for me.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Devin White ILB ...... would be my first round selection I think

but this is CB thread so ....

Julian Love ND. is probably the highest ranked Corner we have a shot at but I am not sure he is an outside Corner at the next level 5'11" -193 pounds ( which probably means he measures at the combine at 5'10" 185 pounds)

Marshall has that size you look for .... but I am not sold on him at this point ( have not watch a ton of him yet though )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Have to defer the west coast DBs to you guys on that side of the big mountain. Let the east coast guys update on the ACC, IVY, and MAC. I get to see some but not enough and not consistently of any one team to 'watch' individual players. I get to see the SEC guys, AAC, Big10, Conf USA, Sunbelt, and Big12 mostly. With every team having 5-6 starter/rotational CBs that's a whole lot of players to rank.

Have to defer the west coast DBs to you guys on that side of the big mountain. Let the east coast guys update on the ACC, IVY, and MAC. I get to see some but not enough and not consistently of any one team to 'watch' individual players. I get to see the SEC guys, AAC, Big10, Conf USA, Sunbelt, and Big12 mostly. With every team having 5-6 starter/rotational CBs that's a whole lot of players to rank.
    This year, with my new position at work coupled with going back to school (post master’s degree), I have not watched much NCAA football...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

can find game breakdowns on the net of specific players often times ... its usually how I get most of my watching done ... condensed action in isolation of the players section of the field and only plays they are involved in ... saves a ton of time ...

that said draft breakdown being a thing of the past ( or was said to be I have not checked for any 2018 games yet ) it is going to get a whole lot tougher to find stuff esp small school kids

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Name to watch for, Bryce Hall from Virginia.

Last edited by BlackAndGold; 11-13-2018 at 12:28 AM.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6. Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Also, Kristian Fulton, Greedy's teammate may just be as talented.

Trayvon Mullen from Clemson should be listed also. 6'2" outside corner with very good speed.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6. Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    can find game breakdowns on the net of specific players often times ... its usually how I get most of my watching done ... condensed action in isolation of the players section of the field and only plays they are involved in ... saves a ton of time ...

that said draft breakdown being a thing of the past ( or was said to be I have not checked for any 2018 games yet ) it is going to get a whole lot tougher to find stuff esp small school kids
    Good advice.

And, with my limited time, I’ll probably only focus on the players listed in this thread.

Just watched the Georgia - Tenn breakdown of Baker ... didn't get much to come away with there they feared him , didn't throw at him other than a timing route that he read perfectly and broke up ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Just watched the Georgia - Tenn breakdown of Baker ... didn't get much to come away with there they feared him , didn't throw at him other than a timing route that he read perfectly and broke up ...
    He reminds me of Deion in that teams simply leave Baker alone... they don’t even try.

(Note: DeAndre Baker is nowhere near as talented as Deion Sanders; please, I hope that people understand what I mean.)

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

OLB... need
    ILB... huge need
    CB... top need

No chance:
    Greedy Williams, LSU... top 10
    DeAndre Baker, Georgia... top 10, my favorite

Realistic:
    Julian Love, Norte Dame
    Iman Marshall, USC
    Amani Oruwariye, Penn St.
    I also think Sean Davis needs to be replaced. He misses too many tackles and makes very few plays on the ball.

We need a defensive draft.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

OK. So this is kind of an odd thought. But bear with me.

How much is a CB worth in the NFL right now? Assume the eye-popping completion percentages, yardage totals, and yards per attempt that we are seeing around the league are going to continue - are any CBs stopping anyone?

Any QB worth anything is completing over 60% -- https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...e?season_id=16. That tells me that no one is really "shutting down" WR anymore. Look at Jalen Ramsey (who I think is one of the best in the business right now) against the Steelers, multiple critical completions against him late in the game.

Further, I honestly believe that no defense really shuts offenses down anymore. Look at points, yards, etc. All are up across the league, with several teams posting video game #'s. But what you can do is play "situational" defense and get key stops on third down (sacks) and turn the ball over (INTs). Interestingly enough, a look at the INT stats across the league shows that safeties and LBs are causing more INTS than CBs -- https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...-interceptions

Taking all that together, I really wonder if a first round CB has the value it has traditionally had? There have been 13 CBs taken in Round 1 between 2016-2018 (http://pfref.com/tiny/dffs4). I would argue that only 3 of them have had an "instant" impact that made their teams better (Ward, Lattimore, and White). With only one of those players having a chance to contribute to a SB run because the rest of the team was already really good.

Long story short, is a CB really the high value and impactful position that it has previously been? If defenses are just going to bleed yards and points anyways, are the really important pieces on defense pass-rushers and linebackers and safeties that can turn the ball over? I personally think they are. And I would preferentially draft those players and live with second tier CBs.

Wanted to get others thoughts and figured this thread might be an appropriate place.

mojoUW You make a good point. As I have talked about Damien Woodey saying that while Darrell’s Revis was the best player he’d ever seen, if Woodey was starting a defense, he’d start with James Harrison.

That said... imagine getting the pressure that we already get, but the top two opposing WRs are suffocated with single coverage. The dump-off routes could be double-covered, transitioning those hurries into incompletions (or sacks).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

mojoUW You make a good point. As I have talked about Damien Woodey saying that while Darrell’s Revis was the best player he’d ever seen, if Woodey was starting a defense, he’d start with James Harrison.

That said... imagine getting the pressure that we already get, but the top two opposing WRs are suffocated with single coverage. The dump-off routes could be double-covered, transitioning those hurries into incompletions (or sacks).
    All good points. Does completion percentage allowed by DB exist anywhere?

I know I have said this many times before and I apologize for being so redundant. The first round of the draft is a BPA pick, IMO. This is where you find the 'game changer' athlete at any position. Drafting for positional need is not how you build and maintain. As it stands today, and again, IMO, we have "needs" at WR, RB, Backup QB, ILB, OLB, SS, and CB. (List in no particular order)

As for this discussion, we need a CB that plays man well on the outside. Can tackle in the open field. And has enough football IQ and athleticism to start his first year. I prefer the FA option to drafting another 20 year old athletic freak and expect him to be able to compete with grown men of the NFL straight away. Do we need to draft one? YES! But not necessarily in the first round. There are some talented DBs in this year's class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    OK. So this is kind of an odd thought. But bear with me.

How much is a CB worth in the NFL right now? Assume the eye-popping completion percentages, yardage totals, and yards per attempt that we are seeing around the league are going to continue - are any CBs stopping anyone?

Any QB worth anything is completing over 60% -- https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...e?season_id=16. That tells me that no one is really "shutting down" WR anymore. Look at Jalen Ramsey (who I think is one of the best in the business right now) against the Steelers, multiple critical completions against him late in the game.

Further, I honestly believe that no defense really shuts offenses down anymore. Look at points, yards, etc. All are up across the league, with several teams posting video game #'s. But what you can do is play "situational" defense and get key stops on third down (sacks) and turn the ball over (INTs). Interestingly enough, a look at the INT stats across the league shows that safeties and LBs are causing more INTS than CBs -- https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...-interceptions

Taking all that together, I really wonder if a first round CB has the value it has traditionally had? There have been 13 CBs taken in Round 1 between 2016-2018 (http://pfref.com/tiny/dffs4). I would argue that only 3 of them have had an "instant" impact that made their teams better (Ward, Lattimore, and White). With only one of those players having a chance to contribute to a SB run because the rest of the team was already really good.

Long story short, is a CB really the high value and impactful position that it has previously been? If defenses are just going to bleed yards and points anyways, are the really important pieces on defense pass-rushers and linebackers and safeties that can turn the ball over? I personally think they are. And I would preferentially draft those players and live with second tier CBs.

Wanted to get others thoughts and figured this thread might be an appropriate place.

I liked everything about this thought. Offenses move freely between the 20s anymore. The real measure of a defense (all positions) is in the short yardage/goal line defense. The real value of the CB position, IMO, is intelligence. If a DB can keep the play in front of him and be a sure tackler (you know, fundamental football) he will be more valuable than the DB that makes 2-3 splash plays per game but breaks down fundamentally the rest of the game.

Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 190.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
    Projected Round (2019): 3-5.

12/8/18: Ya-Sin started out his collegiate career at Presbyterian before transferring to Temple. As a senior, Ya-Sin has 47 tackles with 12 passes broken up and two interceptions. His best year at Presbyterian came as a junior, when he notched 49 tackles, eight passes broken up and five interceptions. Ya-Sin has excellent size and length to fit as a press-man corner in a Seahawks-style defense, and if he doesn't work out at cornerbackm he could be a candidate to move to safety.

Straight off Walterfootball.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Trayvon Mullen from Clemson should be listed also. 6'2" outside corner with very good speed.
    I liked what I’ve seen from him.

Bryce Hall looked great, too, but he’s returning to school.

- - - Updated - - -

All good points. Does completion percentage allowed by DB exist anywhere?
    I’m fairly certain they keep track of how many bowel movements the prospects have per day... so, completions allowed should be an easy stat to find (once we get closer to April).

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

Do you list those upside down on purpose? Just to make sure I read it completely?

I still disagree that OLB is a top three need. I think losing Foster to FA this off-season makes this a bigger need because Dupree is still under contract. Sure we'll need to sign him to a mid-grade long term contract but without Foster you lose depth and a solid starter from the past decade.

1 - ILB
    2 - CB
    3 - ILB
    4 - OG
    5 - CB
    6 - OLB

Just my opinion.

I liked everything about this thought. Offenses move freely between the 20s anymore. The real measure of a defense (all positions) is in the short yardage/goal line defense. The real value of the CB position, IMO, is intelligence. If a DB can keep the play in front of him and be a sure tackler (you know, fundamental football) he will be more valuable than the DB that makes 2-3 splash plays per game but breaks down fundamentally the rest of the game.
    Eagles playoff defense and Colts are good examples of this. Sound DBs with playmakers in front of them.

I liked what I’ve seen from him.
    Mullen with a big interception vs Bama.

- - - Updated - - -

Eagles playoff defense and Colts are good examples of this. Sound DBs with playmakers in front of them.
    The front 7 will always be more important to me in building a defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BEERgods225 View Post
    Do you list those upside down on purpose? Just to make sure I read it completely?
    Yes. The top three needs on defense are (in order):

1. CB
    2. ILB
    3. OLB

Not watching enough NCAA, Slacker!

Quote Originally Posted by BEERgods225 View Post
    Not watching enough NCAA, Slacker!
    Guilty.

As you know, my new position has taken up all of my “free” time.

I get it but I also know that I have a Blutooth and my phone is easily consealable. (Is that a word? HAHA) I can watch football anywhere, at any time.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

This is a weak year for cornerback. At the senior bowl, Rock Ya Sin stood out the most. He has some size and ball skills. Completive. Long speed is a bit iffy.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

These are the declared underclassmen at CB...

CB Greedy Williams LSU RSo
    CB Byron Murphy Washington RSo
    CB Trayvon Mullen Clemson Jr
    CB Julian Love Notre Dame Jr
    CB Justin Layne Michigan St Jr
    CB Kendall Sheffield Ohio State Jr
    CB Joejuan Williams Vanderbilt Jr
    CB Savion Smith Alabama Jr
    CB David Long Michigan Jr
    CB Jamel Dean Auburn Jr
    CB Hamp Cheevers Boston College Jr
    CB Blessuan Austin Rutgers Jr