Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Draft: CORNERBACKS

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: 2019 Draft: CORNERBACKS

it's pretty hard to evaluate CBs until we see what they run at the Combine...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    it's pretty hard to evaluate CBs until we see what they run at the Combine...

not everyone runs in pads the way they run in shorts , as much info as the 40 time tells you it also hides from you ...

straight line speed is great if everyone runs fly / go routes all day

I still prefer to see if they are able to cover their man as the primary method of judging speed ( pads on , traffic and cuts included )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The CB crop this year is not ‘great’, IMO. Deep, just not great. Still there are 4-5 I think would be instant upgrades for 2019. My thinking is if we are able to sign a FA CB that can play in front of Sensabaugh that gives us the luxury of not having to go CB in the first round. This also allows us to draft White or Wilson if one should drop to 20. If the Steelers break tradition and actually bring in an ILB like Mosely with a CB FA, this allows us to look at possibly drafting Haden’s eventual replacement at CB.

For instance; the FA market lands the Steelers a suitable replacement to start at RCB. Then that should drop the need for a 1st round CB to below ILB.
    If FA lands the Steelers that same CB and CJ Mosely, then the draft becomes more open to BPA on the board. Even a 2nd CB if the right one falls to us.

I think how the FA market plays out is going to be HUGE on our 1st two rounds of this draft. More than in years past. This offseason and the 2019 season are going to be extremely instrumental in the future of this franchise.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Iman Marshall from USC. Round three? He's a prototypical corner the Steelers look for in terms of height/weight/zone corner.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...of-pac-12-best

Hopefully Steelers Depot does a scouting report on him.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The CB crop this year is not ‘great’, IMO. Deep, just not great. Still there are 4-5 I think would be instant upgrades for 2019. My thinking is if we are able to sign a FA CB that can play in front of Sensabaugh that gives us the luxury of not having to go CB in the first round. This also allows us to draft White or Wilson if one should drop to 20. If the Steelers break tradition and actually bring in an ILB like Mosely with a CB FA, this allows us to look at possibly drafting Haden’s eventual replacement at CB.

For instance; the FA market lands the Steelers a suitable replacement to start at RCB. Then that should drop the need for a 1st round CB to below ILB.
    If FA lands the Steelers that same CB and CJ Mosely, then the draft becomes more open to BPA on the board. Even a 2nd CB if the right one falls to us.

I think how the FA market plays out is going to be HUGE on our 1st two rounds of this draft. More than in years past. This offseason and the 2019 season are going to be extremely instrumental in the future of this franchise.

I do not feel like Mosley takes away the need for an ILB ... he is an upgrade to VW for sure but he does not help you much in terms of pass coverage IMO we would still get killed by TE's over the middle and seem routes

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I do not feel like Mosley takes away the need for an ILB ... he is an upgrade to VW for sure but he does not help you much in terms of pass coverage IMO we would still get killed by TE's over the middle and seem routes
    I'm not sure why he wouldn't help much in pass coverage. He's a fast, sideline to sideline, 3 down ILB. He has 9INTs and 35 passes defensed in 5 seasons. Plus about 400 solo tackles in that time and has shown to be very durable. I think he upgrades the entire LB corps inside and outside on this team. But maybe we are looking at this from different perspectives. There are really 2 ILBs that fit anywhere close to the 'Shazier mold' in this draft. I don't think we can sit and wait for one of them to fall to pick 20. If you sign Mosley and White/Wilson does happen to fall to 20 and we draft him, how does the future of the ILB position look now? I don't know who will be available at pick 20, I do know I need to go after players that upgrade the entire position and are available now. At least get him in the building and make the offer.

Another option is take a chance on a player like Tre Lamar, Germaine Pratt, or Khalil Hodge in the 2nd round.

What is your opinion on Bryan Murphy or Rock Ya Sin in the 1st if the ILBs are gone at 20?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'm not sure why he wouldn't help much in pass coverage. He's a fast, sideline to sideline, 3 down ILB. He has 9INTs and 35 passes defensed in 5 seasons. Plus about 400 solo tackles in that time and has shown to be very durable. I think he upgrades the entire LB corps inside and outside on this team. But maybe we are looking at this from different perspectives. There are really 2 ILBs that fit anywhere close to the 'Shazier mold' in this draft. I don't think we can sit and wait for one of them to fall to pick 20. If you sign Mosley and White/Wilson does happen to fall to 20 and we draft him, how does the future of the ILB position look now? I don't know who will be available at pick 20, I do know I need to go after players that upgrade the entire position and are available now. At least get him in the building and make the offer.

Another option is take a chance on a player like Tre Lamar, Germaine Pratt, or Khalil Hodge in the 2nd round.

What is your opinion on Bryan Murphy or Rock Ya Sin in the 1st if the ILBs are gone at 20?
    I'm late to the Khalil Hodge train. Can you help me understand what people like of him?

I watched the Shrine game to break him down and see what he can do and all he did was...….nothing. He had 1 assisted tackle, several instances of running to the wrong gap, not getting to the ballcarrier, a badly missed tackle that he slid off the legs of the ballcarrier. He dropped nice in coverage, but doesn't look to have closing speed that would make him impactful on special teams.

Have a look at this video link of the East West Shrine game and Hodge is #40 in the dark blue helmet in goal line defense. Doesn't see the football, wrong gap, turns his back to blocker rather than engage, shed, find the football.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001011644/Devine-Ozigbo-punches-in-TD-after-turnover

Maybe he drank 5 bottles of cough medicine before the game, but it was honestly one of the laziest performances I have seen from an alleged ILB draft prospect in an all star game.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...after-turnover

Mosley's stats show more than what I have personally seen ...

actually shocked at the pass def numbers and ints ...

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I'm late to the Khalil Hodge train. Can you help me understand what people like of him?

I watched the Shrine game to break him down and see what he can do and all he did was...….nothing. He had 1 assisted tackle, several instances of running to the wrong gap, not getting to the ballcarrier, a badly missed tackle that he slid off the legs of the ballcarrier. He dropped nice in coverage, but doesn't look to have closing speed that would make him impactful on special teams.

Have a look at this video link of the East West Shrine game and Hodge is #40 in the dark blue helmet in goal line defense. Doesn't see the football, wrong gap, turns his back to blocker rather than engage, shed, find the football.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001011644/Devine-Ozigbo-punches-in-TD-after-turnover

Maybe he drank 5 bottles of cough medicine before the game, but it was honestly one of the laziest performances I have seen from an alleged ILB draft prospect in an all star game.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...after-turnover
    I honestly have no answer on Hodge. He has been a bit like Tre Lamar when it comes to draft profiles. Sometimes his weaknesses on one site is strengths on another. I did not watch the Shrine Game this year. Nor have I even heard of him before this past bowl season when I started looking for ILB candidates. I don’t think I am very good at picking the right LBs anyway. I was big on Dupree. I really liked the Spence pick. In 2017 I really wanted that OLB out of Auburn that I can’t remember his name now. I liked that LB out of Kansas State too. Both went to Cincy instead. But we did get Watt who I didn’t think would fall. So, all that to say I really don’t know Hodge that well.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I honestly have no answer on Hodge. He has been a bit like Tre Lamar when it comes to draft profiles. Sometimes his weaknesses on one site is strengths on another. I did not watch the Shrine Game this year. Nor have I even heard of him before this past bowl season when I started looking for ILB candidates. I don’t think I am very good at picking the right LBs anyway. I was big on Dupree. I really liked the Spence pick. In 2017 I really wanted that OLB out of Auburn that I can’t remember his name now. I liked that LB out of Kansas State too. Both went to Cincy instead. But we did get Watt who I didn’t think would fall. So, all that to say I really don’t know Hodge that well.
    Hodge just looked lost at the Shrine game. He put up big numbers at Buffalo, but he reminded me of a slower version of Earl Holmes.

As for Dupree, I thought he was gonna be raw and athletic and big upside, but he has only been OK. Spence was gonna be awesome until the injury. K State, was that Arthur Brown? He was all hype but nothing special on film IMO. The Auburn LB could mean a bunch of guys like Dee Ford or Cory Lemonier at OLB. I liked them both but Lemonier doesn't seem to have panned out.

If Devin Bush is the pick, I am ok with it.

Hodge just looked lost at the Shrine game. He put up big numbers at Buffalo, but he reminded me of a slower version of Earl Holmes.

As for Dupree, I thought he was gonna be raw and athletic and big upside, but he has only been OK. Spence was gonna be awesome until the injury. K State, was that Arthur Brown? He was all hype but nothing special on film IMO. The Auburn LB could mean a bunch of guys like Dee Ford or Cory Lemonier at OLB. I liked them both but Lemonier doesn't seem to have panned out.

If Devin Bush is the pick, I am ok with it.

I was actually thinking of Carl Lawson and Jordan Willis. Listed as DEs for the Bengals but I was picturing them as OLBs here. For their pass rush abilities only.

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;681644]I'm late to the Khalil Hodge train. Can you help me understand what people like of him?

CBS Sports - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-nfl-defender/

Keep in mind, I'm not claiming that Hodge will be the second coming. I simply think he's going to out play his draft status and will become a good player. I think taking him later in the draft will help improve our ILB depth, especially opposite a Shazier type player.

[QUOTE=BEERgods225;681805]

CBS Sports - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-nfl-defender/

Keep in mind, I'm not claiming that Hodge will be the second coming. I simply think he's going to out play his draft status and will become a good player. I think taking him later in the draft will help improve our ILB depth, especially opposite a Shazier type player.
    Honestly, I think he looks slower and less athletic than Tyler Matakevich. In this tape against Minnesota, he only makes plays between the tackles and a lot of times he crams into the pile, not really seeing the ballcarrier and working his way towards him. 7th round pick of UDFA, IMO.

I know there are PennState fans on this board. Tell us pros and cons with Amani Oruwariye. His write ups are very intriguing but first hand knowledge is best.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Iman Marshall from USC. Round three? He's a prototypical corner the Steelers look for in terms of height/weight/zone corner.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...of-pac-12-best

Hopefully Steelers Depot does a scouting report on him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/20...iman-marshall/

Interesting bit of info found while searching for Clemson pro day results. Clemson CB Trayvon Mullen has not only moved into the first round on many team's draft boards, but moved ahead of guys like Baker and Greedy.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/atlanta-fal...DUd5HzmqcGAcP/