Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landry Jones To Jags?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Landry Jones To Jags?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Landry Jones To Jags?

It's going to be the rock bottom if the steelers lose against Landry Jones and the Jaguars in week 11!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It's going to be the rock bottom if the steelers lose against Landry Jones and the Jaguars in week 11!
    Well, they lost to Bortles. I think Jones is a better QB than Bortles.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Dear God, if they lose to Landry Jones. Also the chants of "We should have kept Landry" would be insufferable

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lol....thaaaaaaats a loss...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It's scripted just like the WWE.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    It's scripted just like the WWE.
    Seems like that sometimes.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If the Jags start Jones against us, we should start Dobbs to make it more even.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If the Jags start Jones against us, we should start Dobbs to make it more even.
    Split Ben out as a WR like the Ravens do when Jackson comes in

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Dear God, if they lose to Landry Jones. Also the chants of "We should have kept Landry" would be insufferable
    Well, if we kept Jones and cut Dobbs, we'd be looking at the same situation. I predicted that the Steelers would keep Jones for stability, and I was dead wrong on that. Dobbs proved himself so much more dynamic that they had no choice but to keep him. FWIW, I believe they made the right decision.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Good for Landry it's nice he caught with another team.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

How had this not happened already?

I'm fairly sure Landry is better than 2 of the 3 Bills QBs, CJ Beathard, Bortles, and a handful of backups around the league.

Here is my hot take - The Giants would've won more games this season with Landry Jones as their starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I'm fairly sure Landry is better than 2 of the 3 Bills QBs, CJ Beathard, Bortles, and a handful of backups around the league.

Here is my hot take - The Giants would've won more games this season with Landry Jones as their starter.

I'd easily put Beathard ahead of Jones. Beathard has some art talent and a feel for the game. He could develop into a starter.

Heathers actually looked decent in a couple starts. He was serviceable.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd easily put Beathard ahead of Jones. Beathard has some art talent and a feel for the game. He could develop into a starter.
    I dunno. By the stats, Jones has put together (marginally) better #'s.

Beathard -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...tC.00/gamelog/

Jones - https://www.pro-football-reference.c...eLa02/gamelog/

Jones is a bit better in completion percentage, yards per attempt, and rating. To be fair, Beathard has thrown 200+ more passes than Jones ever did. So who knows. But I do know that Beathard is not much better if at all.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I dunno. By the stats, Jones has put together (marginally) better #'s.

Beathard -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...tC.00/gamelog/

Jones - https://www.pro-football-reference.c...eLa02/gamelog/

Jones is a bit better in completion percentage, yards per attempt, and rating. To be fair, Beathard has thrown 200+ more passes than Jones ever did. So who knows. But I do know that Beathard is not much better if at all.
    Yeah those are the same stats I've thrown around for 2-3 years to show that Jones wasn't a bad backup. Thing is, Beathard actually has some playmaking ability. I base this on watching him play. Jones, not so much.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Landry is consistently more average than those guys, but no upside. CJ and Bortles can actually make big plays once in a great while. I wouldn't want to depend on any of them to be starters. As much as I hate to say it Kaepernic would be huge improvement over CJ or Bortles.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I've been saying for the past 2 seasons that Beathard is the best plug 'n' play replacement for Roethlisberger available. Not the best overall QB by raw talent or stats, but he could step in behind this line in this scheme with these weapons and we wouldn't miss a beat because he plays QB the exact same way Big Ben plays.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I know it was against a useless Raiders team -- but can we all stop the CJ Beathard is good narrative? Kid completes less than 60% of his passes and doesn't go more than 6 yards downfield. Some dude from nowhere state just came off the bench to carve up the Raiders with the same offense that Beathard often struggles to move the ball in.

I'll admit that I have not watched any of Beathard since he played at Iowa (I think) and I didn't watch the game last night. But if I am remembering his college days correctly, he wasn't that impressive in the Big 10 either. And there are some bad teams in the Big 10.

I know it was against a useless Raiders team -- but can we all stop the CJ Beathard is good narrative? Kid completes less than 60% of his passes and doesn't go more than 6 yards downfield. Some dude from nowhere state just came off the bench to carve up the Raiders with the same offense that Beathard often struggles to move the ball in.

I'll admit that I have not watched any of Beathard since he played at Iowa (I think) and I didn't watch the game last night. But if I am remembering his college days correctly, he wasn't that impressive in the Big 10 either. And there are some bad teams in the Big 10.
    Exactly.

That said, the kid from Southern Miss looked like Brett Favor last night. Some team should dial up and offer two 1's for him today!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Well they were a top 5 team when he was with them. He has his moments where he is too risky with the ball, but he'll make Big Ben type plays too.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Well they were a top 5 team when he was with them. He has his moments where he is too risky with the ball, but he'll make Big Ben type plays too.
    His Junior year was decent and Iowa finished 9th. But his senior year was not good. His career completion percentage in college was below 60% just as it is in the pros.

For comparison, Ben had over 65% or so, and around a yard more per pass attempt. More accurate and challenged defenses more.

Beathard is fearless and tough as nails from the brutal highlights I've seen in the pros and what I remember of him at Iowa. But he isn't an NFL starter. Certainly not the guy you want running a playoff caliber team.

Mojo,
    To be clear, I never said that Beathard is "good", merely that he's the most Ben- like QB out there (which he is). But as a counterpoint...
    1) Ben took us to a SB ring with less than 60% completions
    2) I've seen a whole lot more of Beathard over the years than you have. I am far more aware of his strengths and weaknesses than you are.
    3) It's not unusual for an unknown QB to come off the bench and carve up a defense because defenses can't game plan for them. Happens to us all the time.

All that being said, I'm glad we have Josh Dobbs instead of CJ Beathard. Dobbs is a better QB overall.

Best,
    -Slashy

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Mojo,
    To be clear, I never said that Beathard is "good", merely that he's the most Ben- like QB out there (which he is). But as a counterpoint...
    1) Ben took us to a SB ring with less than 60% completions
    2) I've seen a whole lot more of Beathard over the years than you have. I am far more aware of his strengths and weaknesses than you are.
    3) It's not unusual for an unknown QB to come off the bench and carve up a defense because defenses can't game plan for them. Happens to us all the time.

All that being said, I'm glad we have Josh Dobbs instead of CJ Beathard. Dobbs is a better QB overall.

Best,
    -Slashy
    Fair enough. It just comes down to this for me. If your team is starting Beathard for 16 games you are going to pick in the top ten in the next draft. The rest of it is just details.

Might be a great backup that can get a team through a 2-3 game stretch. But all this talk if potential starter I see here and other places, I don't get it.

Fair enough. It just comes down to this for me. If your team is starting Beathard for 16 games you are going to pick in the top ten in the next draft. The rest of it is just details.

Might be a great backup that can get a team through a 2-3 game stretch. But all this talk if potential starter I see here and other places, I don't get it.
    Mojo,
    Again, you haven't seen enough of him to properly evaluate him. I've watched darn near every snap he's ever taken. He was much better in Iowa than the raw stats would suggest, and Roethlisberger would've appeared equally worthless in SF. Beathard would make good account of himself as a starter, but only in Pittsburgh because we have the line and offensive weapons he needs to play his style of ball... which is pretty much identical to Ben's style of ball.
    But I don't know how we even got on the subject of Beathard in this thread.

Best,
    -Slashy

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Mojo,
    Again, you haven't seen enough of him to properly evaluate him. I've watched darn near every snap he's ever taken. He was much better in Iowa than the raw stats would suggest, and Roethlisberger would've appeared equally worthless in SF. Beathard would make good account of himself as a starter, but only in Pittsburgh because we have the line and offensive weapons he needs to play his style of ball... which is pretty much identical to Ben's style of ball.
    But I don't know how we even got on the subject of Beathard in this thread.

Best,
    -Slashy
    Yeah. I can see that. But this is reminding me of a version of the Alex Smith debates that have taken place around here. I am certain you can win with Smith - there is a great deal of evidence to prove that. But I am also equally certain you can't win anything important with Smith. Look at what happened in KC. Reid got a QB who could consistently make deep throws and that offense became the shatterer of worlds.

Beathard reminds me of Smith in ways. He is one tough SOB. Fearless on the field and consistently looks to challenge the defense, he is certainly no check-down taker (Smith's usual problem). But all the SF stuff I have seen in the past 2 years, again I freely admit it is highlight packages, he also looks like a QB who can hit the open guy, but isn't throwing guys open. When he has to go to tight windows, I get INTs on my game break. Can you win with the kid? Sure. Can you win anything that matters? Doesn't look like it to date.

And that was all I was saying. Trying to counter the idea that Beathard is someone you want to install as you starting Qb on a SB team. Look, I hope the kid proves me wrong. Anyone who plays the position with the attitude he does gets my full support.

Mojo,
    I have no opinion on Alex Smith, but I will point out that Pat Mahomes is a freak of nature.
    Again, I think Beathard's struggles in SF have more to do with SF than him. I have seen him hit the tight throws plenty, but he prefers to extend plays with his feet and do the sandlot thing. I should add that he's really good in bad weather; a skill he doesn't get to showcase in SF. If you just stand him in a pocket and make him do the west coast thing, then yeah... He's mediocre.
    But then again, so is Ben in that situation. Ben isn't a surgical passer and never has been. That's where I'm coming from; Beathard's play style is virtually identical to young Ben with all of his inherent strengths and weaknesses. Pittsburgh is set up for that sort of thing, SF isn't.

Best,
    -Slashy

PS gotta run; getting ready for Hawks @ Boilermakers. Ironically, the announcers keep trying to compare Nate Stanley to Big Ben, but he's not.

The Jags should be sprinting to the waiver pile to pick up Sam Bradford...lol.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

By the way, wasn't it great when Dobbs stepped in off the bench to make a great throw from his own endzone to convert a critical 1st down on 2nd and 20?

Has this become
    Official?