Thread: Anti-Steeler fans

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Anti-Steeler fans

I had to go to the bar for the game today as it was not on in my region. In this bar there is always this one Foreskins fan that is the loudest, rudest person EVER! Week after week. We just ignore him normally. Today when Ben got hit and stayed down, he stood up and SCREAMED "yes Big Ben out for the season, fuckin A he deserves it". I lost my shit. Stood up, out volumed him with "fuck you asshole, you never cheer an injury" also showing him the middle digit. You could hear a pin drop. Then a 15 yo kid(Broncos family) with his parents ALSO cheered the hit and was screaming about a bullshit flag on the play and that Ben deserves it. I instructed him w/o profanity, to learn the game. When Dad stood up....I was ready for a problem, but then he turned to his kid and said "never cheer and injury Son", and apologized. I was heartened again in fandom. Sorry had to vent. I am still shaking a little bit.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Anti-Steeler fans

bendsteel,
    Ya know... you're not wrong, *but*

Perhaps you should consider not letting your emotions override your judgment. Jagoffs are gonna jagoff, but it's better to grit your teeth and let it go than get into a fight in a bar.

My $0.02
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Fans who cheer for injuries are scumbags. Even heard Ravens fans cheering when Ben didn't get up.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    bendsteel,
    Ya know... you're not wrong, *but*

Perhaps you should consider not letting your emotions override your judgment. Jagoffs are gonna jagoff, but it's better to grit your teeth and let it go than get into a fight in a bar.

My $0.02
    -Slashy
    He should have punch the 15 year old in the face, so his dad could say son this is why you don't cheer for injury! Kid would really got the lesson. Plus would have sent a message to The Loud Mouth don't mess with me.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

There are meatheads everywhere.

People that celebrate when someone gets hurt are pure scum. It's difficult to bite your tongue sometimes...I know.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    I had to go to the bar for the game today as it was not on in my region. In this bar there is always this one Foreskins fan that is the loudest, rudest person EVER! Week after week. We just ignore him normally. Today when Ben got hit and stayed down, he stood up and SCREAMED "yes Big Ben out for the season, fuckin A he deserves it". I lost my shit. Stood up, out volumed him with "fuck you asshole, you never cheer an injury" also showing him the middle digit. You could hear a pin drop. Then a 15 yo kid(Broncos family) with his parents ALSO cheered the hit and was screaming about a bullshit flag on the play and that Ben deserves it. I instructed him w/o profanity, to learn the game. When Dad stood up....I was ready for a problem, but then he turned to his kid and said "never cheer and injury Son", and apologized. I was heartened again in fandom. Sorry had to vent. I am still shaking a little bit.
    You stood up for what you believed was right. Good job.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Mel,
    I respectfully disagree. Just as in politics, how you conduct yourself in a disagreement reflects (fairly or unfairly) on your fellow fans and even the Steelers themselves. Belligerence never convinces anybody of anything, it just confuses the other people standing around as to who the actual jagoff is. Let the other guy be the jagoff

My $0.04
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think fandom is such an interesting thing, and don’t get me wrong, during games I can become irrationally emotional too.

I think it really is scummy to cheer a real injury. That is simply wrong as humans. We hate players for basically wearing the wrong shirt. We should all show some humanity at the end of the day.

But the thing I find weirdest about fandom is the actual BELIEF that fans for another team are as a whole, WORSE than fans of our team.

We’re more likely to read comments online from the most obnoxious of all fans, because most of them simply feel no need to give ANY opinion online.

Chances are there are more stupid Steelers fans than say, stupid Bengals fans, due to the fact that there are more Steelers fans. We probably have more smart fans, more violent fans, more left handed fans... whatever.

This particular forum is great because I think the people who post here are generally thoughtful, knowledgeable, and interested in HEARING other takes; not just giving them.

We don’t generally have posters who cheer injuries, convey ridiculously baseless homer opinions, and are just, well, stupid.

This is NOT a reflection of Steelers fans in general, as opposed to other teams’ fans.

What really says a lot to me about the quality of the site is how we treat fans of other teams when they come to have a thoughtful discussion about something.

Again, I think we are such a small percentage of the fanbase, it’s silly to think the Steelers don’t have an equal percentage of bad fans as other teams.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Yeah cheering for injuries is never cool. Unless it's Vontaze Burfict getting his clock cleaned, then it's ok.

With that said I wouldn't want him to legitimately get injured, just jacked up

Vontaze is a different story and yes, I would cheer for an actual injury in his case. He's a head-hunting POS who intentionally tries to injure other players.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Mel,
    I respectfully disagree.
    I respectfully agree with GB...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I respectfully agree with GB...
    DS,
    No reason we have to agree on everything

Best,
    -Slashy

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I hear a lot of Anti-steeler/Ben where I live which is in Delaware but, when I do go to a bar to watch the game I try to find the most pro-steeler hangout. It's pretty sad when people root for injury of course unless it's Burfict!!