Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with Artie Burns, anyway?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

What's the deal with Artie Burns, anyway?

I mean... I think he'd be a decent CB if he'd just quit making so many mental errors. As it stands, opposing QBs are singling him out like the lame zebra in the herd.
    Is dude not being coached right? Not capable of picking up the fundamentals? Distracted?

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: What's the deal with Artie Burns, anyway?

I honestly believe it's (lack of) coaching. It was well known that he was a raw talent coming in and we have nobody on the coaching staff who can coach him up properly.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

He's so terrible no other team would even trade anything for him. Evidently we're stuck with him. Maybe he could serve his time just helping pack equipment when traveling, just please keep him off the field.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I honestly believe it's (lack of) coaching. It was well known that he was a raw talent coming in and we have nobody on the coaching staff who can coach him up properly.
    But, does Coaching teach him not to give Tyler Boyd a 5 yard cushion in the end zone for a TD?? That is pretty much peewee level CB stuff.

I agree that he still has the same lousy backpedal and change of direction technique that he had in college at Miami and I would have thought some fundamentals would improve, but they haven't. He still gets caught looking to jump the first move and miss the WR on the break, but it goes beyond coaching IMO. I hope he has been smart with his money, as he will likely be getting paid in Canadian dollars in a season or 2 IMO.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I didn't know this emoji existed. Perfect for Artie IMO.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

He sucks mentally and fundamentally.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Shamarko thomas syndrome. Talented as hell, dumb as rocks

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

The deal is he isn't a R1 talent like J Jones & Bud Dupree weren't. The FO & coaches have a hard time facing crow dinner, so they keep playing them with the same results...stuck in the mud. Every excuse was given and played out for Jones and Dupree, too light, too heavy, technique, switching left to right, they must have an injury and on it goes. I don't think Jones and Dupree (were) are slackers, I think they work hard, you just can't put in what God left out. Burns is another issue, he has talent but there is some type of block between the ears. I really wonder if the guy is teachable.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I mean... I think he'd be a decent CB if he'd just quit making so many mental errors. As it stands, opposing QBs are singling him out like the lame zebra in the herd.
    Is dude not being coached right? Not capable of picking up the fundamentals? Distracted?

Best,
    -Slashy
    I agree. There is something different this season. And not a good something. I don't know what it is.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Shamarko thomas syndrome. Talented as hell, dumb as rocks
    P-G article today on Burns being on the edge of being benched due to "lapses in concentration" indicates that is an issue

[A]fter being pulled mid-series on Cincinnati’s final drive Sunday afternoon, Burns could be permanently benched if he doesn’t show improvement over the next week....

One way the Steelers might be able to help Burns is by lining him up and playing him in more man coverage. That would reduce how much he has to think

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201810160138

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

When do the Steelers need to decide on his Option year? Is that this coming off-season or the next?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    When do the Steelers need to decide on his Option year? Is that this coming off-season or the next?

They must decide by May whether to pick up the fifth-year option on his rookie contract. The option likely would be in the neighborhood of $10 million for the 2020 season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

They must decide by May whether to pick up the fifth-year option on his rookie contract. The option likely would be in the neighborhood of $10 million for the 2020 season.

But just like Dupree, they can pick it up and let Burns play in 2019 and then walk away from it. I think. I found this on the internet:

"Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury only between May 3 and the start of the following league year. As such, they’re not entirely risk-free, but as long as the player remains healthy, a team could exercise his fifth-year option, then cut him before his option year gets underway without being on the hook for his salary. When the league year begins, the player’s fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed for skill and cap purposes, as well as injury."

So you can hang onto a guy for his cheap 4th year of his rookie year and hope like hell the lightbulb goes off. If it doesn't you can just cut him. Almost certainly what they do with Burns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    But just like Dupree, they can pick it up and let Burns play in 2019 and then walk away from it. I think. I found this on the internet:

"Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury only between May 3 and the start of the following league year. As such, they’re not entirely risk-free, but as long as the player remains healthy, a team could exercise his fifth-year option, then cut him before his option year gets underway without being on the hook for his salary. When the league year begins, the player’s fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed for skill and cap purposes, as well as injury."

So you can hang onto a guy for his cheap 4th year of his rookie year and hope like hell the lightbulb goes off. If it doesn't you can just cut him. Almost certainly what they do with Burns.
    Yep - although the Steelers did not even exercise the option for Jarvis Jones

Thank goodness the guaranteed for injury only clause existed for Ryan Shazier

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I just scratch my head all the time as to HOW some of these guys become 'so-called' professionals. Just seems like college ball would be his challenge, especially as a CB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yep - although the Steelers did not even exercise the option for Jarvis Jones

Thank goodness the guaranteed for injury only clause existed for Ryan Shazier
    I strongly suspect that Burns gets his option exercised. Everyone will lose their minds.

Burns and Dupree are very different than Jones. Both have more than enough physical capabilities to play in the NFL, potentially even excel. An NFL team is going to hold on that to lottery ticket until it crumples to dust in their hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I just scratch my head all the time as to HOW some of these guys become 'so-called' professionals. Just seems like college ball would be his challenge, especially as a CB.
    If you have the physical tools for an NFL team to select you in the first round, or even consider doing that, college football was likely laughably easy for you.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think the lightbulb is already off...lol.

I strongly suspect that Burns gets his option exercised. Everyone will lose their minds.

Burns and Dupree are very different than Jones. Both have more than enough physical capabilities to play in the NFL, potentially even excel. An NFL team is going to hold on that to lottery ticket until it crumples to dust in their hand.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have the physical tools for an NFL team to select you in the first round, or even consider doing that, college football was likely laughably easy for you.
    Yes people will go nuts but if it’s not guaranteed, it’s obviously can’t hurt to do it and then cut ties if it doesn’t work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    In College, Burns played against the likes of Bethune-Cookman, Florida Atlantic, Nebraska, etc. Not a lot of the QB's there were going to the NFL. Stats nerds love the INT's and Burns got some cheap ones off of lousy QB's, by cheating off his coverages or being around tipped balls. I recall looking up some of his picks in college and it wasn't because of good CB play.

He got drafted because of the stopwatch and 6INT's in the ACC were seen as "potential". Bill Parcells said...."potential is a fancy French word that means you haven't done nothing yet". IMO, the Steelers should have drafted somebody that demonstrated they know how to play CB....but again, Burns was the best "boundary CB" left when they picked. Lots of guys felt Alexander, Fuller were slot CB's and they didn't need somebody in the slot, so they reached.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    In College, Burns played against the likes of Bethune-Cookman, Florida Atlantic, Nebraska, etc. Not a lot of the QB's there were going to the NFL. Stats nerds love the INT's and Burns got some cheap ones off of lousy QB's, by cheating off his coverages or being around tipped balls. I recall looking up some of his picks in college and it wasn't because of good CB play.

He got drafted because of the stopwatch and 6INT's in the ACC were seen as "potential". Bill Parcells said...."potential is a fancy French word that means you haven't done nothing yet". IMO, the Steelers should have drafted somebody that demonstrated they know how to play CB....but again, Burns was the best "boundary CB" left when they picked. Lots of guys felt Alexander, Fuller were slot CB's and they didn't need somebody in the slot, so they reached.
    He got drafted because the Bengals stole William Jackson right from under the Steelers and Colbert and crew panicked and reached for a need at CB, in Burns instead of drafting the best available player on their chart. There were plenty of good LBs and a couple Safeties available that would’ve been better choices than Burns. That draft is starting to look pretty terrible in the big picture...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He got drafted because the Bengals stole William Jackson right from under the Steelers and Colbert and crew panicked and reached for a need at CB, in Burns instead of drafting the best available player on their chart. There were plenty of good LBs and a couple Safeties available that would’ve been better choices than Burns. That draft is starting to look pretty terrible in the big picture...
    They said they were fine with either CB and there was also talk that year that Chiefs wanted Burns if the Steelers didn't draft him. Of course most of us wish they left Artie to goto KC. I liked Jackson as a cover CB much better, but as a tackler in run support he is horrible.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Porous coaching is part of it. Carnell Lake may have been a great player, but he was a horrible coach, didn't seem to get the best out of anybody. The only DBs that seemed to perform well under him were veterans that were already playing well years before he was hired. Not to mention Keith Butler who seems to foster a culture of miscommunication. Bradley, it is still early yet, but the results after 6 games aren't favorable. Artie Burns being a knucklehead is another part of it.

I said this earlier, but it is worth repeating, you continue to draft guys with no actual football playing ability and hand them over to bad coaches, it's a recipe for disaster, and something has to change.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Artie Burns' 1st 2 seasons he has averaged 13 PDs per season. So far only 1 this season.

Joe Haden's 8 seasons before this season he averaged 13 PDs per season. 7 so far this season.

I am not saying these numbers mean Burns is equal to Haden. Obviously Haden has done this every single year for nearly a decade. The point is these numbers and others like them is the reason Burns was drafted in the 1st round. NO, stats do not tell the whole story, but there is also no 'magic bullet' as to why a player has struggles. This kid can play CB at the NFL level. How to put Burns in the best place to succeed is what we're looking for. He has the skills.

This observation on Burns by Gerry Dulac in his P-G chat today would appear to be a problem for a third year NFL CB

He doesn't always understand down, distance and assignments.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201810170110

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Porous coaching is part of it. Carnell Lake may have been a great player, but he was a horrible coach, didn't seem to get the best out of anybody. The only DBs that seemed to perform well under him were veterans that were already playing well years before he was hired. Not to mention Keith Butler who seems to foster a culture of miscommunication. Bradley, it is still early yet, but the results after 6 games aren't favorable. Artie Burns being a knucklehead is another part of it.

I said this earlier, but it is worth repeating, you continue to draft guys with no actual football playing ability and hand them over to bad coaches, it's a recipe for disaster, and something has to change.
    I'd agree Lake didn't do much for him, and the fact that Bradley is still trying to hammer technique into him. Unfortunately, in his head, he's probably thinking way too much to give himself a chance... "Give a 10 yard cushion, backpedal, backpedal, backpedal, turn your hips, locate the ball, oops I'm out of position, where's the ball, grab his jersey, push him in the back, throw hands in the air in protest, jaw with the opposing sideline."
    See, his head is swimming...

This observation on Burns by Gerry Dulac in his P-G chat today would appear to be a problem for a third year NFL CB

He doesn't always understand down, distance and assignments.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201810170110
    Wow! I didn't think Burns was that challenged in the fundamental part of football. But, they do call it the "U" because most of their players cannot spell "Miami".

If that is true, then he is going to suffer the same fate as former Bears D lineman Alonzo Spellman. He had " the skills of a worldbeater, but the head of an egg beater" and never lived up to expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    I'd agree Lake didn't do much for him, and the fact that Bradley is still trying to hammer technique into him. Unfortunately, in his head, he's probably thinking way too much to give himself a chance... "Give a 10 yard cushion, backpedal, backpedal, backpedal, turn your hips, locate the ball, oops I'm out of position, where's the ball, grab his jersey, push him in the back, throw hands in the air in protest, jaw with the opposing sideline."
    See, his head is swimming...
    That's really unfortunate if that is the case. I have a 16 year old that gets his stance, shade, backpedal and hip turn down easy. He adjusts his tech to play backpedal, or bail technique based on the coverages his team is playing. He doesn't have 4.4 speed, (but isn't slow)so his technique is his friend.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Wow! I didn't think Burns was that challenged in the fundamental part of football. But, they do call it the "U" because most of their players cannot spell "Miami".

If that is true, then he is going to suffer the same fate as former Bears D lineman Alonzo Spellman. He had " the skills of a worldbeater, but the head of an egg beater" and never lived up to expectations.
    Dulac and fellow P-G writer Ray Fittipaldo have both stated this week, presumably based upon talking with coaches, that Burns is pretty dim - hard to coach up stupid

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Wasn't he part of the "Smarts & hearts" draft strategy?

If I am not mistaken Tomlin grabbed him so quickly when we were on the clock it seemed as though he thought he was getting the steal of the draft.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Looks like we’re going corner and ilb in the next draft. Hopefully whoever is picking these corners has learned their lesson and we get it right finally. if there are no good corners trade for or squire one through FA, no more reaches, obviously we haven’t been successful coaching these ‘raw’ talents up.