Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browns Also Fire OC Todd Haley

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Browns Also Fire OC Todd Haley

Shortly after firing head coach Hue Jackson, the Cleveland browns parted ways with first-year offensive coordinator Todd Haley, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-oc-todd-haley

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Re: Browns Also Fire OC Todd Haley

The Browns should just fire the whole organization, the city, the fans and probably every city that borders Cleveland.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

At least the Browns were wise enough to part ways with him after 8 weeks. Took us 6 seasons...

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    At least the Browns were wise enough to part ways with him after 8 weeks. Took us 6 seasons...
    True story!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Bummer, Cleveland has a chance to get a head coach and OC that will take advantage of some of the talent on the team

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Must have been those 2 QB sneaks by Ben that got him fired.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Bwahahaha! The Toddster has always been a POS. Good on Cleveland for not following in the Steelers' footsteps and taking out the trash sooner rather than later.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Props to Hue Jackson and Coach Todd for flawlessly carrying out their master plan of mutually assured destruction

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not that keeping Haley around would've been a great idea. But this is going to be a train wreck in Browns town!

EDITED - -I thought that they were naming Al Saunders OC/HC. So my rant was not relevant.

Still - this is going to go badly.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Browns are gonna Brown. Maybe they should try another sport? Just change uniforms they can't do any worse.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben Roethlisberger is laughing !!!

I mean, the only reason why Haley was still an OC with a team was because of Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner(2 HOF/future HOF QB).

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Browns are gonna Brown. Maybe they should try another sport? Just change uniforms they can't do any worse.
    It’s a Cleveland thing

Cavs fired their HC yesterday 6 games into the season and the Browns dropped the hammer today on Jackson - losing two major league head coaches in 2 days has to be a milestone in futility

Go Cleveland!

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Ben Roethlisberger is laughing !!!

I mean, the only reason why Haley was still an OC with a team was because of Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner(2 HOF/future HOF QB).
    I'm sure Ben has a big 'ol smile on his face. Makes it even more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    I can't wait at his tuesday radio show!

He will throw some shade for sure! Hopefully, anyway.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

He will throw some shade for sure! Hopefully, anyway.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    So, who is out there that can step in and take the Browns?

...I'm not suggesting it will be, and I'd place the odds at somewhere around .01-.05 percent that it would happen, but I'd laugh my rear end off if it were Bill Cowher. Talk about Steelers nation having a conniption fit!
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...jackson-fired/

I would back a dump truck of Jimmy Haslam's money to Riley's house if I was the Browns. I mean the NFL is essentially ripping him off on a weekly basis anyways -- so why not go get it from (one of) the source?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...jackson-fired/

I would back a dump truck of Jimmy Haslam's money to Riley's house if I was the Browns. I mean the NFL is essentially ripping him off on a weekly basis anyways -- so why not go get it from (one of) the source?
    Riley is on everyone’s list, but he just reworked his deal at Oklahoma for 5 years/$25 million

He may want to go to the NFL at some point, but Oklahoma is not some second tier program where he lucked into having some great players but will have difficulty recruiting more.

If Riley wants to coach on Sundays opportunities will open up at teams without the Browns screwed up ownership under Haslam

This SI story names Riley, Iowa St coach Mike Campbell and the usual laundry list of NFL assistants as potential hires

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/29/cl...-matt-campbell

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

What a totally stupid move by the Browns. It could/should have waited until the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    What a totally stupid move by the Browns. It could/should have waited until the end of the season.
    Gives them a head start on hiring the HC rather than have to battle with everyone else when coaches get the ax the Monday after the regular season ends

Plus the Haley/Jackson dysfunction might be seen as doing mental and physical harm to Mayfield (the Steelers abused him yesterday) if it went on for two more month

Of course Mayfield apparently liked Coach Todd, so I guess the Browns fired the OC along with the HC since Todd’s charming personality offended everyone in the building more quickly than usual

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Riley is on everyone’s list, but he just reworked his deal at Oklahoma for 5 years/$25 million

He may want to go to the NFL at some point, but Oklahoma is not some second tier program where he lucked into having some great players but will have difficulty recruiting more.

If Riley wants to coach on Sundays opportunities will open up at teams without the Browns screwed up ownership under Haslam

This SI story names Riley, Iowa St coach Mike Campbell and the usual laundry list of NFL assistants as potential hires

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/29/cl...-matt-campbell
    Okay. So we can consider Haslam as not the best or most reasonable owner. But the Browns may be the "best" fit for a college coach to come to the NFL.

Consider:

1. 11 draft picks in 2019. This would be invaluable for a college coach. This is what I call the "Pete Carroll Phenomena". Remember when the Seahawks couldn't miss in the draft? Then about 3 years after Pete left the college game, they started being the random dart throwers that every other franchise is? Yup - college coaches have about a 2-3 year window where they can out-draft other teams because they just know more about the players. So loading up on mid-round picks in 2019 is a great way for a college coach to maximize that advantage.

2. I think the Browns have like 80 million in cap space. With no major contracts on the horizon for their key guys. They can literally sign anyone with almost no cap consequences. That is a pretty good situation to be in.

3. If Riley wants to run his system or something like it -- does he get a better shot than with Baker? Alternatively, if a college guy wants to get into the NFL and run college style stuff -- the Browns with Mayfield, Chubb, and some of their other guys are pretty well stocked to do that.

Long story short, I would rather come in and take over the Browns than the Bucaneers, Broncos, Cards, or Bills.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Gives them a head start on hiring the HC rather than have to battle with everyone else when coaches get the ax the Monday after the regular season ends

Plus the Haley/Jackson dysfunction might be seen as doing mental and physical harm to Mayfield (the Steelers abused him yesterday) if it went on for two more month

Of course Mayfield apparently liked Coach Todd, so I guess the Browns fired the OC along with the HC since Todd’s charming personality offended everyone in the building more quickly than usual
    I suppose that might be true, but I still think it should have waited until the end of the season. Get rid of one or the other if you must, but don't dismantle the whole thing mid season. Actually.... I don't really care...lol. My team has it's own dysfunction to deal with very soon.

Sometimes the steelers are too patient with the coaches.

The steelers kept Todd Haley for 6 years, despite his bad playcalling and I think Butler should have been fired after our disastrous second half on defense last year.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not if that Head Coach is a Coordinator on another NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not if that Head Coach is a Coordinator on another NFL team.
    I was talking generally about the front office being able to focus immediately on the hiring process without undermining the current HC.

And of course you cannot interview current NFL coaches during the season.

But unless you are really sloppy and dumb (OK - I concede we are talking about the Browns here) you can do a lot without being charged for violating the NFL tampering rules and measure the level of interest from potential hires.

Ever wondered how those interviews get lined up so quickly after the HC is canned on Black Monday the day after the regular season ends?

Hue Jackson was interviewed "the day after Hue Jackson’s Bengals lost in the wild-card round."

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/19/n...-jenny-vrentas

Consider the possibility teams indirectly do outreach to HC candidates at some time prior to the end of the season all the time.

Coaches have agents too