Thread: NFL Fires A Referee In-Season For 1st Time In Modern Era; NFLRA Responds

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

NFL Fires A Referee In-Season For 1st Time In Modern Era; NFLRA Responds

It isn’t often that the NFL actually gives the fans what they want, whether the fans are actually right for wanting it in the first place, but one of the things that many have long clamored for was more direct accountability for officials who make mistakes.

The league gave the fans that recently, firing an official in-season for the first time in the Super Bowl era for performance reasons. The official that was fired is Hugo Cruz, who was responsible for missing a false start on Los Angeles Chargers left tackle Russell Okung on a play that resulted in a touchdown against the Cleveland Browns.

Cruz was first hired by the NFL in 2015, so he only managed to last fewer than two and a half seasons. The game in which his high-profile mistake was made occurred in Week Six, and he did not work last week’s games. While his firing was obviously made based on other mistakes as well, it is not known what those other mistakes would have been.

The NFL Referees Association, understandably, is not happy about the firing, with executive director Scott Green fairly pointing out that “the NFL has a troubling history of knee-jerk reactions with an eye on public relations, and clearly it has not learned from past mistakes”.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/10/nf...elers+Depot%29

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: NFL Fires A Referee In-Season For 1st Time In Modern Era; NFLRA Responds

He will wind up getting a better job in the college ranks...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

the NFL should do this to more refs.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    the NFL should do this to more refs.
    Compared to other sports, the NFL Refs are All-Stars...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Compared to other sports, the NFL Refs are All-Stars...
    I find that hard to believe. NFL refs in general are god awful

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They could solve this by hiring full time officials. Imagine how much better they would be if they were doing and learning their craft every day.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

DA STEALERS FY-URD DA REFFFS!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    They could solve this by hiring full time officials. Imagine how much better they would be if they were doing and learning their craft every day.
    NFL actually is going in that direction - 24 full time officials (Cruz was not one of them) currently on the payroll

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/t...ame-officials/

Presumably will continue as the part-timers with good weekday jobs age out of the positions

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There are some of them that they should fire mid-game!

NFL Fires A Referee In-Season For 1st Time In Modern Era; NFLRA Responds

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I find that hard to believe. NFL refs in general are god awful
    There’s an article out there somewhere, I’ll try to find it, but the NFL Refs graded out best of the four major sports groups. I think MLB was worst or maybe NBA.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Seems a little harsh if you ask me. Why this guy and why now? It's not like he's Phil Luckette who made an entire career of Horrible play calling. Normally the NFL would do these types of things in the off season and with very little fanfare so what is the point. Seems to me like some sort of grandstanding by go to Hell and his henchmen. If Thursdays game is any indicator there will be a ton of bad calls this week by refs who fear for their jobs.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Seems a little harsh if you ask me. Why this guy and why now? It's not like he's Phil Luckette who made an entire career of Horrible play calling. Normally the NFL would do these types of things in the off season and with very little fanfare so what is the point. Seems to me like some sort of grandstanding by go to Hell and his henchmen. If Thursdays game is any indicator there will be a ton of bad calls this week by refs who fear for their jobs.
    Bolded: It has to start somewhere.... why NOT this guy?

Of course it's grandstanding. The fans are irate over the poor/dismal officiating that seems to get worse every season. No team is safe from it, and it's starting to/has been deciding games. He made a "good faith" showing to appease the fans.... that's all it was/is.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Bolded: It has to start somewhere.... why NOT this guy?

Of course it's grandstanding. The fans are irate over the poor/dismal officiating that seems to get worse every season. No team is safe from it, and it's starting to/has been deciding games. He made a "good faith" showing to appease the fans.... that's all it was/is.
    The bold part - Well maybe one team is.

The officiating is horrible, but it has been for years. As I pointed out look at Phil Luckette made a career of horrible calls. Fans have been outraged about the calls for a Looooong time and many game deciding decisions as well. Hell sometimes with playoff implications involved. I just don't see why all the sudden this change from the norm. Will the NFL fire more for bad officiating? Are they ever planning on hiring full time officials and give them wages so that they can focus completely on their craft? I just don't see the point of this, but I guess we will see how it all plays out. If they make them accountable and pay them to become full time then I am all for it.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    NFL actually is going in that direction - 24 full time officials (Cruz was not one of them) currently on the payroll

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/t...ame-officials/

Presumably will continue as the part-timers with good weekday jobs age out of the positions
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    The bold part - Well maybe one team is.

The officiating is horrible, but it has been for years. As I pointed out look at Phil Luckette made a career of horrible calls. Fans have been outraged about the calls for a Looooong time and many game deciding decisions as well. Hell sometimes with playoff implications involved. I just don't see why all the sudden this change from the norm. Will the NFL fire more for bad officiating? Are they ever planning on hiring full time officials and give them wages so that they can focus completely on their craft? I just don't see the point of this, but I guess we will see how it all plays out. If they make them accountable and pay them to become full time then I am all for it.
    As Dan pointed out in the quoted post they are moving that way and I'm happy for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    As Dan pointed out in the quoted post they are moving that way and I'm happy for it.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I missed it. Yes if that is the case it would be something I think we all could support.