Thread: Vance McDonald playing with a toughness he never showed before

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Vance McDonald playing with a toughness he never showed before

When the Pittsburgh Steelers traded for tight end Vance McDonald, most acknowledged the Steelers got themselves a very talented pass catcher with some significant holes in his game. During his time with the San Francisco 49ers, McDonald never displayed the toughness he has this season. He also struggled to stay healthy enough to be on the field.

And honestly, it felt like this would be the case in 2018. After an injury-marred 2017 season, McDonald was held out of much of the offseason hurt as well. It felt like Groundhog Day and attention was turning to Jesse James as the primary tight end.

(Continued)

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...showed-before/
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Vance McDonald playing with a toughness he never showed before

Thanks for the link

So far so good, but, as the article states, given his injury history McDonald needs to do it for a full season

Because I could only see the “McDonald playing with a” part of the thread title until I opened the thread, I was afraid I was going to read something like “McDonald playing with an oblique injury” or “McDonald playing with a partially torn rotator cuff” when I was able to read the full thread title

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

"The Steelers got themselves a very talented pass catcher"? Curtman needs to do some more research before posting an article.

"Vance McDonald had the worst drop rate among qualifying TEs over his four-year career.
    #49ers"

"But McDonald’s hands were always an issue. 49ers quarterbacks completed just 54 percent of their throws to McDonald throughout his career. His career high in receptions is just 30 (2015) while his best yardage total is just 391 (2016). He logged 10 catches and no touchdowns throughout his first two seasons"

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017...ance-mcdonald/

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    "The Steelers got themselves a very talented pass catcher"? Curtman needs to do some more research before posting an article.

"Vance McDonald had the worst drop rate among qualifying TEs over his four-year career.
    #49ers"

"But McDonald’s hands were always an issue. 49ers quarterbacks completed just 54 percent of their throws to McDonald throughout his career. His career high in receptions is just 30 (2015) while his best yardage total is just 391 (2016). He logged 10 catches and no touchdowns throughout his first two seasons"

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017...ance-mcdonald/

And it has shown. I will never understand how players go through high school and college football without understanding how to catch a football.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    And it has shown. I will never understand how players go through high school and college football without understanding how to catch a football.
    Just like I don't understand how bloggers post stuff online without it being correct......and even worse, people that read it think its credible news.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He shoulda been fined for injuring Conte and Burfict's pride

Honestly when he's on his game, he looks like another Heath Miller but with speed. Absolutely a beast, I hope he can keep it up, he could be an all-pro TE. Talent is definitely there, but of course as we all know, his durability is the main concern.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

It all started with the stiff arm.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

None of us knew what Vance McDonald was capable of because we never saw him play. If we get a ring this year, he will play a big part in making that possible.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    He shoulda been fined for injuring Conte and Burfict's pride

Honestly when he's on his game, he looks like another Heath Miller but with speed. Absolutely a beast, I hope he can keep it up, he could be an all-pro TE. Talent is definitely there, but of course as we all know, his durability is the main concern.

Funny how Ben has been blessed with so many great receivers in his career.

Is it luck or is it Ben?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Vance McDonald playing with a toughness he never showed before

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    None of us knew what Vance McDonald was capable of because we never saw him play. If we get a ring this year, he will play a big part in making that possible.
    Not true. He showed a lot of potential at times with the Niners during the 2015 & 2016 seasons. I was very happy when they traded for him.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This guy was a decent target and a bright spot in the dregs of the Niners. He can catch balls, he can block and he's got that gritty attitude. I love this trade...a lot. He's going from trash to Ben at QB and look at the receivers around him. I love it.

Give Ben options with two TEs in the game and Brown and Bryant on the field. If they go two high on Brown, Ben can opt to run with Bell as McDonald can block. He's a nice weapon for Ben to have on the field.

McDonald and a 5 for a 4th rounder is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler