Thread: Analysis: Is Steelers' Mike Tomlin as bad at timeout management as we think?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Analysis: Is Steelers' Mike Tomlin as bad at timeout management as we think?

Stop me if you’ve heard this before …

“Mike Tomlin has to be the WORST coach in the NFL when it comes to wasting his timeouts!”

You’ve probably listened to a Pittsburgh talk-show caller or two vent that opinion.

But according to one set of numbers, that’s not true. The data says Tomlin is not great, but he’s average.

Via ProFootballTalk.com , I found this post on a Packers-related site. It breaks down how all NFL coaches manage the clock and use their timeouts. I’ll let you click on the link to get the specific formula of how this is figured out, but here are the basics.

The author, Paul Noonan, went through every team’s timeout usage. He eliminated any timeouts burned by failed challenges or timeouts used in the last two minutes of the first half. Also, he discarded any timeouts cashed in during the last five minutes of the second half.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/columnis...nagement-as-we

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Analysis: Is Steelers' Mike Tomlin as bad at timeout management as we think?

He's bad at challenges. If he wants to offer me 250k/yr I'll be his advisor on when and when not to challenge

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Re: Analysis: Is Steelers' Mike Tomlin as bad at timeout management as we think?

Ive never had issues with the timeouts, I actually think Ben is one of the best at time management to end half or game and would put time outs more on QB than the coach. I could be wrong though. I agree with Fire Goodell, his challenges and lack of is really bad, although it could be more to do with coaches in booth. Ultimately Tomlin is responsible IMO though. Even though they ended up scoring I was pissed at Tomlin for going for FG on 4th and one to go up by six. Bungles down by six were in 4 down territory , no way the D was going to stop them. Even had Steelers failed fourth down, Bungles had ball at 15 yard line and would not have been in 4 down territory. If and its a big if Steelers held them they would have gone for FG to tie. I would have bet my house Bengals would score TD, I just didn't know it would be that fast and give Ben time to score again. I thought they had a better chances of winning with Ben and Offense as opposed to D making a stop with 4 downs.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Raw stats say Tomlin wins challenges on par with any coach in the league. As others have said, the question is when he doesn’t challenge.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Raw stats say Tomlin wins challenges on par with any coach in the league. As others have said, the question is when he doesn’t challenge.
    Worst challenge success rates among active head coaches, 2015-2017

1. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers: 3-12 (25.0%)
    2. Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals: 6-20 (30.0%)
    3. Mularkey: 4-13 (30.8%)
    4. Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts: 7-21 (33.3%)
    5. Fox: 5-14 (35.7%)

Best challenge success rates among active head coaches, 2015-2017

1. Marrone: 8-11 (72.7%)
    2. McCarthy: 10-15 (66.7%)
    3. Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers: 15-24 (62.5%)

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/which-nf...allengers.html

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It's hard to say how he is compared to other coaches. Tomlin's clock management is poor.
    Hater = Realist

That's a bit of cherry-picking, however. If you read just a little lower, you'd read that before this latest streak, Tomlin was above 50 percent, which is pretty good, to be honest. Something's changed of late. Perhaps, it's who is in the booth or the information he gets. I won't defend his decision making the last couple of years, but its not like he fundamentally doesn't know how to challenge or know when to challenge.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That's a bit of cherry-picking, however. If you read just a little lower, you'd read that before this latest streak, Tomlin was above 50 percent, which is pretty good, to be honest. Something's changed of late. Perhaps, it's who is in the booth or the information he gets. I won't defend his decision making the last couple of years, but its not like he fundamentally doesn't know how to challenge or know when to challenge.
    The past 3 years is a pretty good sample size.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The past 3 years is a pretty good sample size.
    Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post

And I posted somewhere else that most coaches run between 40-50% over their careers. Tomlin is right in that window. So where does that leave us? Who knows. I'm certainly not going to go back and attempt to "grade" each challenge. But that would be the next step. Three more challenges "won" would put Tomlin back on the good side of the ledger.

So the Jesse James catch challenge. That takes him over 1/3 won.
    One of his various attempts to re-spot the ball and say another unclear sideline catch.

That's all it takes to get Tomlin on the good list. Does this mean that Tomlin is the best at any of this? No. But to just select a series of #'s and not understand what they are telling us doesn't really accomplish anything. There has been a solid cold streak, but Steelers have also been involved in several super unclear calls...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The law of recency says he sucks!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post

3 worst are all coaches with ties to the steelers :/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    3 worst are all coaches with ties to the steelers :/
    Actually, 4 out of 5. John Fox was a Steeler assistant back during the discovery of fire.