Thread: Film Room: Keith Butler Still Scares Me

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Film Room: Keith Butler Still Scares Me

All it took was nine plays and 75 yards to erase the Pittsburgh Steelers’ lead. That’s what the Cincinnati Bengals did, albeit briefly, to take a 21-20 lead late in the fourth quarter Sunday. The defense felt helpless. Andy Dalton marched down the field, aided by one pass interference penalty, hitting his tight ends and backs underneath, finding A.J. Green down the middle, and only needed one third down, which they converted, to do so.

How did the Bengals make it look so easy?

Some of it was on the individual. Good plays by the offense, poor reps from the defense. A lack of pass rush sure didn’t help. The Steelers failed to record a single pressure the entire drive.

But another problem was schematic. On at least four plays, Dalton had a very good idea of what the coverage was going to be. The Steelers made little effort to hide it.

It’s an issue that’s hindered this defense throughout the year: defending teams out of empty. As I’ve written about in the past, I get it’s a difficult task, especially in an era where offenses are scoring more than ever before. But the Steelers haven’t offered up much of a solution. Patrick Mahomes went 15/19 in empty back in Week Two.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/10/fi...elers+Depot%29

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Film Room: Keith Butler Still Scares Me

The party line now is that once Morgan Burnett returns the recurring clusters on pass coverage should be reduced

Ray, a win is a win so that is great but i am so very curious about some of our defensive calls where we have Vince Williams on AJ Green 25 yrds downfield and also matched up with Joe Mixon on others. Can you help me understand the logic of Vince covering these guys?
    Ray Fittipaldo: I think some of this stuff will be eliminated when Morgan Burnett is healthy again.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201810150106

Good luck with a journeyman safety who cannot even get on the field fixing that

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Vince Williams or others linebackers should never be on a WR, let alone on A.J Green

It should never happen, it's one of the things I've ever understood why Butler does that.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The party line now is that once Morgan Burnett returns the recurring clusters on pass coverage should be reduced

Ray, a win is a win so that is great but i am so very curious about some of our defensive calls where we have Vince Williams on AJ Green 25 yrds downfield and also matched up with Joe Mixon on others. Can you help me understand the logic of Vince covering these guys?
    Ray Fittipaldo: I think some of this stuff will be eliminated when Morgan Burnett is healthy again.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201810150106

Good luck with a journeyman safety who cannot even get on the field fixing that
    This may be more on Fort being out. IF Burnett returns, how long before he's injured again? If it looks, smells, and sounds like Ladarius Green....

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Hell... maybe with Morgan Burnett returning, he'll shuffle Terrell Edmunds out to RCB
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland