Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paul Zeise: Le'Veon Bell bet on himself and lost

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Paul Zeise: Le'Veon Bell bet on himself and lost

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    After high school, a buddy of mine traveled the country, touring with The Dead. He had this brilliant plan to sell grilled cheese sandwiches to pay for the cost of touring. His brilliant idea was to sell the grilled cheese sandwiches for 25¢... because, everyone else was selling them for 50¢.

It worked. He sold out his stock at every show.

But... as we explained to him, the cost for him to make each sandwich was 32¢.

“Yea, but I get 25¢ for every sandwich. If I sell four, I’ve made a dollar, man.”

“No, it is actually costing you 7 cents per sandwich...”

“Okay... right, bro... so 25 minus 7 leaves me with 18 cents for every sandwich, man.”

I explained “net vs. gross” to him... to no avail. Several others tried using logic... to no avail. His sister tried; his mother & father tried; his grandparents tried... but, in the end, he was broke (and had to come back off of his tour earlier than he had planned).

SUMMATION:
    Bell has been selling grilled cheese sandwiches... and, no matter what anyone else says, he’s going to continue (man).

It's always sad when you're talking to someone you care about, and they don't know what they don't know.....

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All I know is true professional athletes never turned down touching the ball as often as possible unless they were injured. If Bell is using the excuse that he would get too many touches, he sounds chicken hearted.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Bell is better at turning a 1 yard loss into a 5 yard gain.

Conner is more explosive for bigger gains.

Bell has never been a breakaway threat.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Barkley has an extra game on Conner!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Bell is better at turning a 1 yard loss into a 5 yard gain.
    Is that backed up with a stat?

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I agree

The falcons are another team that survives offensively without their star RB.

Sometimes teams do better without that one superstar b/c then the QB will spread it around and not feel as though he needs to feed it to one guy and end up with INTs.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

One big stats I saw in today's game is that steelers are at 68% in the red zone when Bell is out .... only 51% when he plays.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: thread topic

IT’S OFFICIAL......HE LOST.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Re: thread topic

IT’S OFFICIAL......HE LOST.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I would say after today, Bell probably won’t play another snap for the Steelers, barring injury. Even if he comes back tomorrow, why would the team let him out there at all, JC is killing it.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I would say after today, Bell probably won’t play another snap for the Steelers, barring injury. Even if he comes back tomorrow, why would the team let him out there at all, JC is killing it.
    I think he'll play some more snaps. We won't be able to trade him, and can (probably) get out of paying him for 2 weeks. But after that, he's on the payroll and one of the two best RBs on the team. The Steelers will want to play him and he'll want to generate some highlights for free agency.
    It's debatable whether L Bell is a noticeable improvement over Conner, but it's a *certainty* that he's better than Samuels and Ridley.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    It's debatable whether L Bell is a noticeable improvement over Conner, but it's a *certainty* that he's better than Samuels and Ridley.
    Bell thinks he is the best back in the league. He isn't even the best back on his own team.

This happened once before with Wallace and Brown. Worked out well for one but not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Bell thinks he is the best back in the league. He isn't even the best back on his own team.

This happened once before with Wallace and Brown. Worked out well for one but not the other.
    We have to admit that the steelers were lucky that Bell and Wallace refused the offer by the steelers, otherwise Brown might be on a another team and Conner would still be on the bench.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    One big stats I saw in today's game is that steelers are at 68% in the red zone when Bell is out .... only 51% when he plays.
    All stats are equal or better without Bell.

...and this is even before Conner.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

We haven’t seen Samuels enough to say Bell is better. Bell won’t be an improvement until he gets a few games under his belt, so why drop out production for Bells sake?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I was not a believer in Conner prior to the season. I thought his pass protection was beyond terrible. He looked unnatural and stiff running routes. And carrying the ball he looked like any other ten random RBs across the league.

Could not be happier to be extremely wrong.

The thing I am struck by is how different their two styles of play are. At the end of the day, the stats might be broadly similar but how they got there is very different. Too bad that the contract issue could not be resolved, because Bell and Conner would provide a nightmarish contrast for defenders to deal with.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

We haven’t seen Samuels enough to say Bell is better. Bell won’t be an improvement until he gets a few games under his belt, so why drop out production for Bells sake?
    Rotorhead,
    1) Because we're paying Bell over $800k per game regardless of whether he plays or not. It's in our financial best interest to use what we're paying for.
    2) His abilities are a known quantity, and Samuels is a crap- shoot
    3) We are one injury away from a failed season.

Basically, we will have a damn good RB and we will be paying that RB "damn good RB" money. We will run him if only to keep our other "damn good RB" healthy for the playoffs.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

The thing I am struck by is how different their two styles of play are. At the end of the day, the stats might be broadly similar but how they got there is very different. Too bad that the contract issue could not be resolved, because Bell and Conner would provide a nightmarish contrast for defenders to deal with.
    And potentially a nightmarish contrast in blocking styles for the OL to handle - not certain swapping them out by series or within a series will not create some problems

Different to block for Bell while he "reinvents" how to run to the hole as he decides where he is going to go (allegedly for reasons including Bell not being particularly devoted to learning the blocking schemes for the plays) and Conner

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    And potentially a nightmarish contrast in blocking styles for the OL to handle - not certain swapping them out by series or within a series will not create some problems

Different to block for Bell while he "reinvents" how to run to the hole as he decides where he is going to go (allegedly for reasons including Bell not being particularly devoted to learning the blocking schemes for the plays) and Conner
    I don’t know.

I’m kinda over this whole let’s criticize Bell because his contract stance stinks. No one had an issue with his running style and playbook work when he was on the field and dominating teams.

I didn’t read the most recent tweets or whatever by Bell and his agent for two reasons. One Twitter is a cesspool of stupid. And Two, it isn’t news. Bell and his agent have made no secret of this viewpoint. The agent started his business to address this specific issue. It’s been out there for at least a year in regards to a Bell and many years for the agent in general.

The bottom line is that between the lines on Sundays a healthy and motivated Leveon Bell is an incredibly useful offensive weapon that would make any team in the league better.

The attempt to deny that is an increasingly silly narrative. If Bell shows up in shape and ready to work, the team would be wise to find him about 10 touches a game. As much as I like Switzer, Bell would be more dangerous in that role in the passing game.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

The bottom line is that between the lines on Sundays a healthy and motivated Leveon Bell is an incredibly useful offensive weapon that would make any team in the league better.
    I love Bell as a player, but there are a lot of stats showing me that Conner might be just as good, if not better. Why? I don't know. But he isn't certain to come back healthy (in shape in this case), motivated, or even as the best RB on the team if he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post
    I love Bell as a player, but there are a lot of stats showing me that Conner might be just as good, if not better. Why? I don't know. But he isn't certain to come back healthy (in shape in this case), motivated, or even as the best RB on the team if he is.
    Conner may be better. The team may be better with Conner as the lead back. But the undercurrent of much of the statements about the issue are that Conner + Bell is not blindingly superior to Conner + insert dirtball here.

I’m not comparing the abilities of either player to one another in order to rank them. Simply saying that the last time anyone say Bell on an NFL field he was a darn good player. Arguing that he somehow isn’t that is just sorta weird.

I realize he might not have the value he is asking for. He might be a terrible teammate. He might be lazy and sorta dumb. But the man can play RB really well.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I don’t know.

I’m kinda over this whole let’s criticize Bell because his contract stance stinks. No one had an issue with his running style and playbook work when he was on the field and dominating teams.

I didn’t read the most recent tweets or whatever by Bell and his agent for two reasons. One Twitter is a cesspool of stupid. And Two, it isn’t news. Bell and his agent have made no secret of this viewpoint. The agent started his business to address this specific issue. It’s been out there for at least a year in regards to a Bell and many years for the agent in general.

The attempt to deny that is an increasingly silly narrative. If Bell shows up in shape and ready to work, the team would be wise to find him about 10 touches a game. As much as I like Switzer, Bell would be more dangerous in that role in the passing game.
    The agent turning Bell into a social welfare warrior was not just a tweetstorm from Bakari but a long article in The Undefeated, ESPN’s website for “the intersection of sports, race and culture” that ran this past week. That they have made no secret of their viewpoint does not change that they are really pushing it now as this has not played out as they expected. They can push whatever they want. If they want to go there good for them - I simply posted I found it ludicrous. I also do not see how it is going to do anything to help Bell’s ultimate goal of having teams clamoring to break the bank for him next season.

I also am not saying Bell is not an excellent running back. I am saying blocking for Bell is different than blocking for other backs and that it might be difficult to turn on a dime and switch styles. As far as not being committed to learning blocking schemes, that was not from writers but alleged sources on the team (my guess is the O-line).

And as far as being motivated when he returns, if Bell has expressed a concern about not getting to his big payday next season in one piece during the off-season, add in all that has gone down since then and Bell being all in when he returns is no guarantee. If it was IMO the Steelers would be delighted to use him this year and take their compensatory pick next year rather than have the owner signing off on a trade if something can be worked out.

Basically, we will have a damn good RB and we will be paying that RB "damn good RB" money. We will run him if only to keep our other "damn good RB" healthy for the playoffs.
    Bell will play like garbage for at least 3 games, why would we put him in at all, who cares what he is getting paid, JC is playing as good as Bell ever has. Putting him in, regardless of what we are paying him, would be a detriment to the teams chances of winning until he gets up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The agent turning Bell into a social welfare warrior was not just a tweetstorm from Bakari but a long article in The Undefeated, ESPN’s website for “the intersection of sports, race and culture” that ran this past week. That they have made no secret of their viewpoint does not change that they are really pushing it now as this has not played out as they expected. They can push whatever they want. If they want to go there good for them - I simply posted I found it ludicrous. I also do not see how it is going to do anything to help Bell’s ultimate goal of having teams clamoring to break the bank for him next season.

I also am not saying Bell is not an excellent running back. I am saying blocking for Bell is different than blocking for other backs and that it might be difficult to turn on a dime and switch styles. As far as not being committed to learning blocking schemes, that was not from writers but alleged sources on the team (my guess is the O-line).

And as far as being motivated when he returns, if Bell has expressed a concern about not getting to his big payday next season in one piece during the off-season, add in all that has gone down since then and Bell being all in when he returns is no guarantee. If it was IMO the Steelers would be delighted to use him this year and take their compensatory pick next year rather than have the owner signing off on a trade if something can be worked out.
    Don’t feel like typing on my phone. My only point is that when you strip away all the non football noise, Bell is better than either Ridley or Samuels. He is better than Switzer. Potentially a more effective WR than Hunter.

So why wouldn’t anyone be excited to get a weapon like Bell in the field? Of course he doesn’t send Conner to the bench. Of course it all depends on if his butt is in shape.

But the general internet and twitter takes that he couldn’t have a massively positive role in Weeks 12-17 is just getting silly.

Imagine putting Bell out wide. Conner in the backfield. Now use motion to switch the two of them. You’ve just ripped a hole in the defenses plan without even snapping the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Zeise: Le'Veon Bell bet on himself and lost

Moj, while I agree he could be a benefit during weeks 12/13 on, do we risk the drop in production getting him up to speed? Not that it matters, he still isn’t here, at this point we are just typing out of boredom.

Moj, while I agree he could be a benefit during weeks 12/13 on, do we risk the drop in production getting him up to speed? Not that it matters, he still isn’t here, at this point we are just typing out of boredom.
    Valid point. I’m making two totally speculative assumptions. The first is that Bell shows up in shape. The second is that he is on the exemption list for two weeks working back into the fold.

To be honest the third is that the drop in production from Ridley and Switzer to a still adjusting Bell is hardly noticeable.

Week 14+ the whole offense is better for it.

Again, an admittedly optimistic view. But if he was coming off IR, how would it be being talked about? Taking away the contract mess and Twitter nonsense, how is this much different? In the imagined IR scenario, Steelers would be salivating to work Bell back into the offense in even a reduced role.

Don’t feel like typing on my phone. My only point is that when you strip away all the non football noise, Bell is better than either Ridley or Samuels. He is better than Switzer. Potentially a more effective WR than Hunter.

So why wouldn’t anyone be excited to get a weapon like Bell in the field? Of course he doesn’t send Conner to the bench. Of course it all depends on if his butt is in shape.

But the general internet and twitter takes that he couldn’t have a massively positive role in Weeks 12-17 is just getting silly.

Imagine putting Bell out wide. Conner in the backfield. Now use motion to switch the two of them. You’ve just ripped a hole in the defenses plan without even snapping the ball.

Ben said the other time that he don't think that Bell would be so successful if he was only used as a receiver.

The other reason I'm not excited is that I do not expect Bell to be great if he's with us, no way he'll be in football shape in his first few games.I can also say that I do not know if Bell will be well received by his teammates but it will not be the case by the fans in heinz field and it could be a big distraction and a headache for our team if he don't starts very well .

It could be ugly

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Because IMHO I don't trust Bell's commitment to the team. I don't trust him to go all out and play to his potential. Instead I fear he may cost this team if he is allowed to play either with a fake injury or a timely turnover.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar