Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Zeise: Le'Veon Bell bet on himself and lost

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Paul Zeise: Le'Veon Bell bet on himself and lost

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It's never a bad thing to bet on yourself. It does take guts and courage to put yourself out there. In Bell's case however, he was apparently getting very bad advice and thought the risk was much less than it is. Yes he did this to himself. Completely. But he trusted the wrong guy/people.
    I've never heard of "betting on yourself" by sitting out and not playing.

Betting on himself would've been taking the $70 million contract and betting that even though it wasn't all "guaranteed," he could still make most of the money guaranteed simply by not failing a drug test right away. Apparently he didn't have any faith in himself that he could do that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I agree

The falcons are another team that survives offensively without their star RB.

Tevin Coleman is no slouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

It's never a bad thing to bet on yourself. It does take guts and courage to put yourself out there. In Bell's case however, he was apparently getting very bad advice and thought the risk was much less than it is. Yes he did this to himself. Completely. But he trusted the wrong guy/people.
    I do not buy blame the agent here - IMO Bell decided on his own to get into a dick measuring contest with the Steelers over being tagged again

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I do not buy blame the agent here - IMO Bell decided on his own to get into a dick measuring contest with the Steelers over being tagged again
    I have no idea from where the advice came. Bell didn't just decide on his own that he was worth $17m/year with a $30M guarantee without somebody telling him he was right. He may have thought about sitting out and not signing but someone agreed that was his best course. I have been in zero meetings with Bell but I would bet big that somebody is telling him he is still right today. If the team were telling Bell this is your offer, what we think your services are worth. AND his agent/advisor/whomever is telling him it's in his best interest to sign the deal, I firmly believe that deal would have been signed. The reason these guys have agents is because they don't have a great understanding of the business of football. That's the entire reason they pay those guys. SOMEBODY told Bell it was a good idea to decline the offer and sit out. Or at least agreed with him that it was a good idea. Was that his agent? I don't know. His best friend? I don't know. Maybe it was his mom. I have no idea, but I bet you somebody is.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Yes but from Bell’s point of view that’s EXACTLY why he shouldn’t play this year WITHOUT that big guaranteed contract extension. Bell acknowledges that risk and fears it. He also thinks he’s done enough that in FA some team WOULD take the risk so he doesn’t have to by playing under a one year franchise tag.

I agree that Bell has not made the smartest moves, but this risk of injury is exactly what Bell doesn’t think he should be forced to make by playing under a franchise tag.

Bell is really holding out against the idea of a one year tag more than he’s holding out against the Steelers specifically.

But those are the rules in the CBA his union signed before he even entered the league. He is suffering from the rookie contract rules that kept him from negotiating when he was drafted.

I kind of get the overall point even though I do not agree with the decisions he’s made, ESPECIALLY the decision not to say what he planned on doing and deceiving his teammates.

If he mentioned this plan back when he was negotiating, it might have HELPED him back then.

We already know Bell is dumb, but if he is fragile too, his holdout concerns are not helping his case prima facia. It's a bunch of nonsense trying to shake down the Steelers. The team offered him big money and would have paid him to play football, not head games. As stated in my other posts, Bell has talent, but he is also a product of the system. He is no Walter Payton or Earl Campbell for sure. Didn't he watch Mike Wallace make the same dumb move?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I have no idea from where the advice came. Bell didn't just decide on his own that he was worth $17m/year with a $30M guarantee without somebody telling him he was right. He may have thought about sitting out and not signing but someone agreed that was his best course. I have been in zero meetings with Bell but I would bet big that somebody is telling him he is still right today. If the team were telling Bell this is your offer, what we think your services are worth. AND his agent/advisor/whomever is telling him it's in his best interest to sign the deal, I firmly believe that deal would have been signed. The reason these guys have agents is because they don't have a great understanding of the business of football. That's the entire reason they pay those guys. SOMEBODY told Bell it was a good idea to decline the offer and sit out. Or at least agreed with him that it was a good idea. Was that his agent? I don't know. His best friend? I don't know. Maybe it was his mom. I have no idea, but I bet you somebody is.
    I'm pretty certain that his mother and his agent both told him to sign last years offer, and he still declined. I'm not going to make excuses for him, he is a grown man capable of making his own decisions.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Honestly. I don't think Bell had a specific number in mind. If he was offered $17 million then the number in his head would be $18 million. If the offer was $18 million his self-valuation would be $20 million. He just wanted to change teams for non-financial reasons and wouldn't have re-signed at any price. The money drama was just his piss-poor excuse which he dragged out for 2 years. The current holdout is an attempt to get released or possibly traded to the team of his choice. And of course he thrives on drama, and it has created plenty of THAT.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Honestly. I don't think Bell had a specific number in mind. If he was offered $17 million then the number in his head would be $18 million. If the offer was $18 million his self-valuation would be $20 million. He just wanted to change teams for non-financial reasons and wouldn't have re-signed at any price. The money drama was just his piss-poor excuse which he dragged out for 2 years. The current holdout is an attempt to get released or possibly traded to the team of his choice. And of course he thrives on drama, and it has created plenty of THAT.

It really is hard to argue with that. It does appear that he wants out no matter what.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Maybe Bell was waiting until after the Steelers played Burfict.

(I really can’t blame Bell for that.)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

OK, so you guys believe Bell is just hanging out, sitting in his own cloud. All the people around him are telling him he's wrong and needs to sign the tender or the deal offered. But Bell just plain refuses to because he likes the drama? Or for some reason Bell has decided he hates it in Pittsburgh so much he's willing to lose out on millions just to be traded to another team? This makes more sense than he's being advised to do what he's doing? Alright then.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

OK, so you guys believe Bell is just hanging out, sitting in his own cloud. All the people around him are telling him he's wrong and needs to sign the tender or the deal offered. But Bell just plain refuses to because he likes the drama? Or for some reason Bell has decided he hates it in Pittsburgh so much he's willing to lose out on millions just to be traded to another team? This makes more sense than he's being advised to do what he's doing? Alright then.
    I'm sure there are some good reasons to pass up $14M... I just can't think of one.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

This makes more sense than he's being advised to do what he's doing? Alright then.
    His agent apparently recommended Bell accept the 2017 offer by the Steelers and he rejected that recommendation - if he rejected the agent's advice then why stop now?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201708180164

Of course maybe this agent is recommending that Bell do what no other player who has been franchise tagged has ever done and Bell simply is doing what he has been told to do - those players had agents and risks of career ending injuries too

More likely it is that clients call the shots, not their representatives, and that Bell turned the second franchise tag into a test of his manhood

"This second year on the tag, everybody thought I would do what I did on the first tag and assumed a certain thing and it offended a lot of people," Bell said. "That's not my fault you literally thought I'd do the same thing. Everybody thinks I'm bluffing. That's not the person I am. I've always been a stubborn kid. When I have my mind set, that's what I'm going to do."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...tes-trade-talk

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    His agent apparently recommended Bell accept the 2017 offer by the Steelers and he rejected that recommendation - if he rejected the agent's advice then why stop now?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201708180164

Of course maybe this agent is recommending that Bell do what no other player who has been franchise tagged has ever done and Bell simply is doing what he has been told to do - those players had agents and risks of career ending injuries too

More likely it is that clients call the shots, not their representatives, and that Bell turned the second franchise tag into a test of his manhood

"This second year on the tag, everybody thought I would do what I did on the first tag and assumed a certain thing and it offended a lot of people," Bell said. "That's not my fault you literally thought I'd do the same thing. Everybody thinks I'm bluffing. That's not the person I am. I've always been a stubborn kid. When I have my mind set, that's what I'm going to do."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...tes-trade-talk
    How many quotes though? How many different things have been posted on this forum alone? I believe NOTHING I read about players. NOTHING! It's all been bs up to now, why should we believe anything we read about it? One guy says Bell wants X, another says no Bell wants XY, still another says Bell wants XY+1. I quit. I shouldn't even comment from the start.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

How many quotes though? How many different things have been posted on this forum alone? I believe NOTHING I read about players. NOTHING! It's all been bs up to now, why should we believe anything we read about it? One guy says Bell wants X, another says no Bell wants XY, still another says Bell wants XY+1. I quit. I shouldn't even comment from the start.
    I wouldn't say that. Isn't that what these forums are about, proposing ideas/theories and hashing them out? We're not always going to be right, or even close sometimes. I don't take any opinions that I have that have been debunked or refuted personally. I look at those differing opinions as a chance to see it in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Isn't that what these forums are about, proposing ideas/theories and hashing them out? We're not always going to be right, or even close sometimes. I don't take any opinions that I have that have been debunked or refuted personally. I look at those differing opinions as a chance to see it in a different way.
    No man, I'm talking about constant misinformation. BUT, 'since this quote/article backs what I think it must be more accurate'. It has seriously become very difficult to have rational, logical conversations on here. I'm not trying to debate anything, but that's what every post seems to become. And the process is severely redundant. It's not always about opinion. You do have to use some measure of logic and common sense. Not just keep with 'look what this reporter had to say on it'. None of them are in conversation with Bell!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

No man, I'm talking about constant misinformation. BUT, 'since this quote/article backs what I think it must be more accurate'. It has seriously become very difficult to have rational, logical conversations on here. I'm not trying to debate anything, but that's what every post seems to become. And the process is severely redundant. It's not always about opinion. You do have to use some measure of logic and common sense. Not just keep with 'look what this reporter had to say on it'. None of them are in conversation with Bell!
    I think I get where you are coming from and am quite often guilty of what you are speaking against myself.

Specifically to the Bell situation, I feel that people have split into two camps. These camps are broadly divided along the question of whether or not Bell is behaving under a set of rationale decision making parameters or not. Once you make that evaluation you can go out into the morass of stuff that is the Internet and drag back whatever you want to support that decision.

I do think that we all should be far more cautious about how we use information from Twitter. It has consistently proven to be unreliable, overly simplistic, sourced from people that have no clue what they are even talking about, and on and on. But now I simply sound like the pretentious, grumpy, old Luddite I am fast becoming!

Well yeah, nobody who can do even basic math or has any common sense would advise him to do what he's doing, so I would tend to think that's the least likely possibility.

It's probably more than just "Bell hates Pittsburgh," and the real reason is a run-on sentence more like:

"Bell has come to think of himself as a larger-than-life character, more specifically a larger-than-life character in the 'urban' mold, who doesn't give a fuck about anything and exudes swagger from every pore, and people hold their breath for his every tweet, and watch his every move at the nightclub like a big star, and in general the image of being a super-cool celebrity has become the most important thing in his life, and being a football player in Pittsburgh is only kind of cool, and being a football player in Miami or New York or L.A. (or Vegas) would be a lot better, but mostly because it would let him focus on the being-cool part, for which football is mainly just the funding source, and by the way, in the meantime focusing on being a super-cool character is a lot of fun, and Bell had a GREAT summer as well as a built-in excuse to not end his summer break until he is damn well good and ready, and being a super-cool character is SO cool that he can't stop, and since being super-cool also involves a ton of partying, not stopping means you're also likely out of shape and unable to pass a piss test, and you're really pushing it as far as you can go because you're so caught up in it, but at some point you have to come back and do the minimum not to fuck it all up so that you can continue the party next year, and that sucks, but in the meantime at least all the drama over money feeds into your larger-than-life image as a cool celebrity with a lot of swagger who just doesn't give a fuck."

Since we haven't heard a peep from Bell in 2-3 weeks now, my guess is that he recently figured out that the time to put in the minimum effort was now, so he has actually been working out and taking detox supplements for those 2-3 weeks, with his eye on returning when he is in a condition that is not totally embarrassing, then collecting a paycheck for coasting through the last month and a half of the season. He is probably not quite ready yet or he would've reported and collected a check for the bye week (I mean, come on, $1 million for doing nothing), and all the stuff about him working out on his own and being in great shape was bullshit; he just started that now, which is why you don't see so many tweets about cool celebrity-swagger shit, because you don't have as much time for that if you're working out 6-8 hours a day, but he would still embarrass himself if he showed up right now. So I would imagine we will actually see him in a couple more weeks.

So no, I don't think it has anything to do with any advice anyone is giving him, it has to do with having such an inflated picture of yourself that it works to your own detriment.

edit: Also, I would not be very eager to sign a guy whose priorities appear to include playing football mostly as a means to an end, not because he likes the game, not because he is driven to win, and not even because he enjoys that he is good at it and wants to make his own mark as one of the all-time greats in a selfish way. This is the type of guy who seems more likely than most to become a minimum-effort paycheck collector who you should just stay away from.

So no, I would not shed a tear if we just let him go right now with no compensation other than the future cap space. It's a lost cause for us, and possibly for whoever else wants to take that risk. Not me.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Since we haven't heard a peep from Bell in 2-3 weeks now, my guess is that he recently figured out that the time to put in the minimum effort was now, so he has actually been working out and taking detox supplements for those 2-3 weeks, with his eye on returning when he is in a condition that is not totally embarrassing, then collecting a paycheck for coasting through the last month and a half of the season.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Conner showed what Le'Veon's real value was, as did DeAngelo back in 2015. When you have a top tier OL, a future HOF QB, and the best WR in the NFL, it makes being a RB easier

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

IF Bell wants out it would be easy to come to an agreement by negotiating in good faith. Not showing and not playing is not good for negotiating.
    All Defense!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    IF Bell wants out it would be easy to come to an agreement by negotiating in good faith. Not showing and not playing is not good for negotiating.
    Counterpoint: The Steelers under Tomlin have an established policy regarding RBs. "Run him until the wheels fall off". Not sayin' I condone how he's handled this. Not even sayin that I want him back on the team, especially at his asking price.

But I do get where he's coming from.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Sorry you took exception to my responding to your post in a manner you regard to have been lacking in logic and common sense.

I gave you the quote from Bell and the link to the Bouchette article to support my conclusion rather than just give my unsubstantiated opinion that Bell holding out is his idea rather than him being led around like a child by his agent. The Bell quotes came from someone in conversation with Bell .

The agent and Bell have not denied the accuracy of the quotes, in which Bell says he is stubborn and wants everyone to know he is not bluffing. That sounds to me like someone who is making his own decisions but maybe not.

I cited the Bouchette article that the Steelers negotiated a deal with the agent in 2017 and Bell rejected it because it indicates Bell previously has not follow his agent’s advice. I also linked to it because I believe Bouchette would not have made it up without having credible sources, unlike stories you can get from some rando with an internet connection.

Citing support for an opinion rather than just giving an opinion seems to me to be more rational and logical than just tossing off suppositions, but maybe not.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Conner showed what Le'Veon's real value was, as did DeAngelo back in 2015.

When you have a top tier OL, a future HOF QB, and the best WR in the NFL, it makes being a RB easier
    QFT.

It all comes down to this imo.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

After high school, a buddy of mine traveled the country, touring with The Dead. He had this brilliant plan to sell grilled cheese sandwiches to pay for the cost of touring. His brilliant idea was to sell the grilled cheese sandwiches for 25˘... because, everyone else was selling them for 50˘.

It worked. He sold out his stock at every show.

But... as we explained to him, the cost for him to make each sandwich was 32˘.

“Yea, but I get 25˘ for every sandwich. If I sell four, I’ve made a dollar, man.”

“No, it is actually costing you 7 cents per sandwich...”

“Okay... right, bro... so 25 minus 7 leaves me with 18 cents for every sandwich, man.”

I explained “net vs. gross” to him... to no avail. Several others tried using logic... to no avail. His sister tried; his mother & father tried; his grandparents tried... but, in the end, he was broke (and had to come back off of his tour earlier than he had planned).

SUMMATION:
    Bell has been selling grilled cheese sandwiches... and, no matter what anyone else says, he’s going to continue (man).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    After high school, a buddy of mine traveled the country, touring with The Dead. He had this brilliant plan to sell grilled cheese sandwiches to pay for the cost of touring. His brilliant idea was to sell the grilled cheese sandwiches for 25˘... because, everyone else was selling them for 50˘.

“Yea, but I get 25˘ for every sandwich. If I sell four, I’ve made a dollar, man.”

“Okay... right, bro... so 25 minus 7 leaves me with 18 cents for every sandwich, man.”

I explained “net vs. gross” to him... to no avail. Several others tried using logic... to no avail. His sister tried; his mother & father tried; his grandparents tried... but, in the end, he was broke (and had to come back off of his tour earlier than he had planned).

SUMMATION:
    Bell has been selling grilled cheese sandwiches... and, no matter what anyone else says, he’s going to continue (man).
    See here is the difference between this story and what I am 'trying to say'.

You talked to your friend. He told you his plan. His 'people' tried to explain to him his mistake. You were there. We have bloggers, "newspaper guys", talk show hosts, etc, all saying they have no idea what is going on and nobody has spoken with Bell nor has there been any communication with the Steelers. Yet on this forum we get the first rate knowledge about how much pot he's smoking, how in/out of shape he is, inside info on how all these 'talks' went down, his motives behind the moves, etc, etc, etc. Go back to my original post in this line and you will see that I only said that I believe Bell has simply been given bad advice. It's not a bad thing that he bet on himself, it's he didn't fully understand the situation. Why? Yes, sometimes people are just dumbasses. I think there was more to this story than Bell is just a dumbass. What, we may never know. But we sure can speculate and trust the internet in the mean time. Does anyone really believe his agent is going to take credit for this now that it's looking as bad as it is? "OH NO! But I told him to accept the deal." Where has this little quote been for the past 2 seasons? Back peddle much?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

SUMMATION:
    The bottom line is your friend got to see the Dead all summer and you didn't.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The bottom line is your friend got to see the Dead all summer and you didn't.

Now there's a man with perspective!

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I don't need all the .

Le'Veon isn't back yet. Okey dokey.

Carry on, James Conner.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

SUMMATION: