Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was wrong about Vance McDonald

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I was wrong about Vance McDonald

So I'm here to eat crow. I said before this season started that he'd not play more than 2 games in a row and that James would be the clear #1 mostly due to availability.

Well, he's played what like 4 games now and seems like he's a key part of the offense. I was wrong, but it's good to be wrong sometimes especially when making predictions that suck for the team

I also called him a soft china doll, but he's made some seriously "Wow" plays that makes him look like a man among boys sometimes. If he can stay healthy he'll definitely be a special player.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I was wrong about Vance McDonald

I think I was one of the few that liked the trade when it initially happened and it didn’t look great while he sat out and dropped a couple passes to start. Took some time to develop but McDonald is playing lights out right now and Ben is gaining more trust in him as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: I was wrong about Vance McDonald

If the guy can stay on the field, we have zero issues at the TE position. While four games is promising and he has been great in them, I am still in the keep-your-fingers-crossed period right now.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Dude is a freaking BEAST !!

The Steelers need to utilitize his skills more so in the future. Just as Gronk is being used.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

He's got Ben throwing to the TE's and not forcing the ball to AB! ...and not a just one or two passes early then forgetting about them later in the game.

Keep it up Ben, it really makes a difference when we can throw the ball down the middle to wide open TE's. Easy yds. No need for heroics every play,

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

The pass distribution to TE's has been significant and it really keeps the defense on their heels when we have so many options beyond Brown & JuJu.

That being said, I am a little disappointed that Washington has not been more productive through 6 games.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    The pass distribution to TE's has been significant and it really keeps the defense on their heels when we have so many options beyond Brown & JuJu.

That being said, I am a little disappointed that Washington has not been more productive through 6 games.
    Great points. I also think that someone has to begin making plays outside the #'s down the sideline or all that room that Juju and the TEs are exploiting in the middle of the field is going to go away.

Hopefully Washington can come out of the bye and have a second half impact similar to what Bryant did his rookie year!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

This guy is a bull.. I loved watching Bungles hanging from him as he was chewing up yards..
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Can't blame you for doubting him. I think we all did. I glad we can all eat a little crow

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I hope he will stay healthy, since he is very important for the steelers.

Very good trade by Colbert.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Vanimal!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Vanimal!
    McDominant! I'm lovin it!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'll join you. I didn't know what he was capable of when healthy. Dude is an absolute beast! I'd hate to be a DC game planning against him; even triple- teaming can't shut him down. I'm still a big fan of James and I give him props for every clutch play... but credit where it's due: I never saw this guy coming.
    Pass some of that crow my way,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Great points. I also think that someone has to begin making plays outside the #'s down the sideline or all that room that Juju and the TEs are exploiting in the middle of the field is going to go away.

Hopefully Washington can come out of the bye and have a second half impact similar to what Bryant did his rookie year!
    Steelers went to lineups to pound the Bengals yesterday - these snap counts for offense (does not include special teams)

Washington only on the field for 16 snaps (lowest since week one when he had been limited in practice)

McDonald season high 51 snaps

James 51 snaps (highest since week one)

Grimble 21 snaps (highest since 22 in week one)

Nix on for 17 snaps (highest since week one after 1 snap in Ravens game)

Switzer 2 snaps (after 21 when he was the inexplicable focus of the offense in the Ravens game)

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...nap-counts.htm

After the second half cluster on offense in the Ravens game that was tied at the half, Steelers seem to have committed to trying to control clock with more Conner and the passes you described - problem is drives requiring more plays can break down before end zone, as happened in second half yesterday

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

An unofficial request: Any members of this forum that happen to attend a game this year: Can we try to make "Thor" a nickname for Vance McDonald?
    He said that that's his inspiration, and it's kinda fitting.

"You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Steelers went to lineups to pound the Bengals yesterday - these snap counts for offense (does not include special teams)

Washington only on the field for 16 snaps (lowest since week one when he had been limited in practice)

McDonald season high 51 snaps

James 51 snaps (highest since week one)

Grimble 21 snaps (highest since 22 in week one)

Nix on for 17 snaps (highest since week one after 1 snap in Ravens game)

Switzer 2 snaps (after 21 when he was the inexplicable focus of the offense in the Ravens game)

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...nap-counts.htm

After the second half cluster on offense in the Ravens game that was tied at the half, Steelers seem to have committed to trying to control clock with more Conner and the passes you described - problem is drives requiring more plays can break down before end zone, as happened in second half yesterday
    Yesterday in the second half, our red zone offense was not good (no reason to not score on the first and goal at the one yard line .... terrible play calling and formation, but this is another story, but Antonio Brown should never be on the side lines no matter the situation) but in general, the steelers are 3rd in the NFL in the red zone offense ... Hope that it will continue ... Boswell has only attempts 8 field goal this year.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Twitter has started calling him...

Vanos

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yesterday in the second half, our red zone offense was not good (no reason to not score on the first and goal at the one yard line .... terrible play calling and formation, but this is another story, but Antonio Brown should never be on the side lines no matter the situation) but in general, the steelers are 3rd in the NFL in the red zone offense ... Hope that it will continue ... Boswell has only attempts 8 field goal this year.
    Yeah, the line got blown up on 1st and 3rd down in that series, no excuse for our line to let that happen. The 2nd throw probably should have drawn a flag, James' defender had a hand full of the back of his jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Twitter has started calling him...

Vanos
    have they also dubbed Burfict V-anus?.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

My beef with McDonald has been the constant injuries. If he can stay healthy it would be wonderful and I might lay off my campaign for drafting a TE in 2019......maybe

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    My beef with McDonald has been the constant injuries. If he can stay healthy it would be wonderful and I might lay off my campaign for drafting a TE in 2019......maybe
    McDonald is a bargain this season at $790K base salary, with bonuses and restructuring total cap hit $2.1 million

But that goes up to base salary of $4.2 million and total cap hit of $5.8 million in 2019

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...cdonald-12336/

Where part of the Bell & Shazier $$$$ coming off the books is going to go unless he gets injured a lot for the rest of this season and the Steelers need to decide whether to keep him

Ž Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

My issue with McDonald was his hands and injuries
    Hater = Realist

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Keep on the campaign! While 7 receptions on 8 targets is great by Vance stats...history would show that neither the dropped passes or injuries will stay away for long. Take the production while we can, as I expect the glass hamburglar to return before the end of season.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Keep on the campaign! While 7 receptions on 8 targets is great by Vance stats...history would show that neither the dropped passes or injuries will stay away for long. Take the production while we can, as I expect the glass hamburglar to return before the end of season.

My gut feeling also.

[/B]
    My gut feeling also.
    I think we can do better than Grimble and the Outlaw but we have too many holes in the defense. Maybe we can sign a bunch of basketball players and put them in the TE room and pray we get another Gates/Gonzalez/Graham.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Noah Fant

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

My beef with McDonald has been the constant injuries. If he can stay healthy it would be wonderful ...
    Not his fault. Would be great if human bodies were indestructible. Playing an extremely violent game of human demolition derby like that.... shit happens and injuries are purely LUCK and happenstance. Nothing more. Nothing less. Vanos has just had shittty luck with injuries.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    Not his fault.

Would be great if human bodies were indestructible.

Playing an extremely violent game of human demolition derby like that....

shit happens and injuries are purely LUCK and happenstance. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Vanos has just had shittty luck with injuries.
    Good post and I agree that sh*t happens.

However, I firmly believe some people are more injury prone than others.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I am going to disagree here.

I believe some people are far more injury prone than others.
    No question about it imo.