Thread: Players Credit Tomlin’s Focus on 2-Minute Drill For Preparedness To Win…

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Players Credit Tomlin’s Focus on 2-Minute Drill For Preparedness To Win…

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Players Credit Tomlin’s Focus on 2-Minute Drill For Preparedness To Win…

Fake News. We all know that Tomlin doesn't coach. He just lets the guys play foosball and pinpong.

Good article, thanks for sharing!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I didn't know Tomlin understands what 2-minute offense is.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Can't be true. Going by the game day thread (when will I learn to stay away from there) Tomlin sucks and has no clue as to how to coach.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Can't be true. Going by the game day thread (when will I learn to stay away from there) Tomlin sucks and has no clue as to how to coach.

I go there a lot because it's fun sharing experiences with others, but during times when everything isn't going right. ..I ask myself why I ever go near that place. The negativity is oppressive. It is a soul-sucking experience and it feels like darkness is all around me.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Damn Cool Shades!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If I were Tomlin I'd hire an advisor for challenges. You know, pay someone like 300k a year to do that. Heck I'll volunteer

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    He can coach...he just doesn’t know how or when to throw challenge flags...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I go there a lot because it's fun sharing experiences with others, but during times when everything isn't going right. ..I ask myself why I ever go near that place. The negativity is oppressive. It is a soul-sucking experience and it feels like darkness is all around me.
    I feel the same way, I do my best to ignore those cats, but sometimes it's very hard. The thing that really pisses me off is when they say that negative crap for bad play, then they go quiet as a church mouse when the play gets above the line. Then, one bad throw and it's the sky is falling all over again. Those guys don't contribute crap to the thread and should be blocked from posting in it. All they do is stir up shit.
    - - - Updated - - -

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I feel the same way, I do my best to ignore those cats, but sometimes it's very hard. The thing that really pisses me off is when they say that negative crap for bad play, then they go quiet as a church mouse when the play gets above the line. Then, one bad throw and it's the sky is falling all over again. Those guys don't contribute crap to the thread and should be blocked from posting in it. All they do is stir up shit.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I’m there and I’m negative but also give credit where credit is due.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’m there and I’m negative but also give credit where credit is due.
    Yep, you're intellectually honest about it and I have no problem with your comments. The people I'm talking about know who they are.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

He can coach...he just doesn’t know how or when to throw challenge flags...lol.
    Yeah, I'll give you the challenge thing.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

12 years later and the 2 minute drill is worked on. ; )
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    12 years later and the 2 minute drill is worked on. ; )
    Oh, I don't know. I think they did pretty good with the 2 minute in a Superbowl a few years ago. I can remember several times they came back and won it in the last few minutes that season. Seems to me they won a few games with a late score, as well. A couple of Raven's games come to mind, for instance.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Cool, but Tomlin and staff still have to do better on the challenges

every time i want to compliment Tomlin I think of the fiasco last year during the playoffs in the week leading up to the jags game.

I'll heap praise after a super bowl win

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Yinz act like Tomlin actually *sees* the same replays that you see at home on TV. He doesn't. They don't show replays of questionable calls on the big screen at opposing stadiums.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Oh, I don't know. I think they did pretty good with the 2 minute in a Superbowl a few years ago. I can remember several times they came back and won it in the last few minutes that season. Seems to me they won a few games with a late score, as well. A couple of Raven's games come to mind, for instance.
    Exactly. For over a decade, the Steelers have been one of the top scoring teams (or, the top scoring team) in the final two minutes of each half.

But... Belichick... Coughlin... Kordell... sunglasses...

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Yinz act like Tomlin actually *sees* the same replays that you see at home on TV. He doesn't. They don't show replays of questionable calls on the big screen at opposing stadiums.

Best,
    -Slashy
    The people upstairs do and they are able to converse with Tomlin. Tomlin makes the ultimate decision and if he doesn’t have people in the box advising him, that’s his own fault.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

The people upstairs do and they are able to converse with Tomlin. Tomlin makes the ultimate decision and if he doesn’t have people in the box advising him, that’s his own fault.
    Exactly it's the same for other coaches who do it much better than Tomlin does.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So here is an interesting nugget of information. Tomlin is 32/69 in challenges over his career for a roughly 46% "win" rate.

The evil hooded mastermind is 45/111 for a 40% "win" rate.

Harbaugh is 43/93 for a 46% "win" rate.

Payton is 42/98 for a 43% "win" rate.

The stats are all on Pro Football reference. I got bored after those. Doesn't look like anyone is really winning these things at a great clip.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So here is an interesting nugget of information. Tomlin is 32/69 in challenges over his career for a roughly 46% "win" rate.

The evil hooded mastermind is 45/111 for a 40% "win" rate.

Harbaugh is 43/93 for a 46% "win" rate.

Payton is 42/98 for a 43% "win" rate.

The stats are all on Pro Football reference. I got bored after those. Doesn't look like anyone is really winning these things at a great clip.
    Sometimes the non Challenge is also a problem

John Harbaugh arrived a year later than Tomlin as head coach but Harbaugh tried 24 more challenges than Tomlin

His best challenge I remember from him was when he saw in the AFC title game in 2008 that Santonio Holmes had not caught the ball at the one yard line in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Sometimes the non Challenge is also a problem

John Harbaugh arrived a year later than Tomlin as head coach but Harbaugh tried 24 more challenges than Tomlin

His best challenge I remember from him was when he saw in the AFC title game in 2008 that Santonio Holmes had not caught the ball at the one yard line in the first half.
    Sure. And sometimes coaches throw the challenge flag to back on of their guys or to get a chance to yell at a ref. There are tons of factors that a simply counting and rate stat do not tell us. HOWEVER, it does seem to provide some initial evidence that when Tomlin does throw the flag, he is no better or worse than his peers.