Steelers' special teams has best game of season when Brian Allen makes his season debut

Chris Adamski | Monday, Oct. 8, 2018, 4:03 p.m.

Six days after Brian Allen was added to the 53-man roster and on the day of his 2018 regular-season debut, the Pittsburgh Steelers had by far their best performance of the season on special teams .

Coincidence? Allen could only sheepishly smile when asked.

“It just felt good to be back out there,” the second-year cornerback said. “It was a long time coming for me, so when I got back out there I just tried to make my impact and my presence felt any way I could.”

For Allen during the Steelers’ 41-17 win against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, that meant serving as part of both the kickoff and punt return and coverage teams – the highlight of which was playing the “gunner” on punt coverage.

For a 6-foot-3 cornerback by trade who can run a 4.4-ish time in the 40-yard dash, that seems like a natural fit, particularly when the veteran who normally performs those duties (Darrius Heyward-Bey) was out because of an ankle injury.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14157843-74/steelers-special-teams-has-best-game-of-season-when-brian-allen-makes