Thread: Steelers' Special Teams has Best Game of Season When Brian Allen Makes Debut

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Steelers' Special Teams has Best Game of Season When Brian Allen Makes Debut

Steelers' special teams has best game of season when Brian Allen makes his season debut

Chris Adamski | Monday, Oct. 8, 2018, 4:03 p.m.

Six days after Brian Allen was added to the 53-man roster and on the day of his 2018 regular-season debut, the Pittsburgh Steelers had by far their best performance of the season on special teams .

Coincidence? Allen could only sheepishly smile when asked.

“It just felt good to be back out there,” the second-year cornerback said. “It was a long time coming for me, so when I got back out there I just tried to make my impact and my presence felt any way I could.”

For Allen during the Steelers’ 41-17 win against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, that meant serving as part of both the kickoff and punt return and coverage teams – the highlight of which was playing the “gunner” on punt coverage.

For a 6-foot-3 cornerback by trade who can run a 4.4-ish time in the 40-yard dash, that seems like a natural fit, particularly when the veteran who normally performs those duties (Darrius Heyward-Bey) was out because of an ankle injury.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14157843-74/steelers-special-teams-has-best-game-of-season-when-brian-allen-makes

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers' Special Teams has Best Game of Season When Brian Allen Makes Debut

Data point number 10412 that Dangerfield and Berhe were not useful components of overall roster construction.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Steelers' Special Teams has Best Game of Season When Brian Allen Makes Debut

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Data point number 10412 that Dangerfield and Berhe were not useful components of overall roster construction.

It was very noticeable to me watching the game that Allen appeared to be a disruptive force on kick coverage. I was going to post this on my own, but I did a search and found this article confirming that others noticed as well.

Now, if Allen can actually show that he can also contribute on the field as a CB, his roster spot would be very strong going forward as he would be a definite asset to the team.

Dare I mention DHB?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It was very noticeable to me watching the game that Allen appeared to be a disruptive force in the kick coverage. I was going to post this on my own, but I did a search and found this article confirming that others noticed as well.

Now, if Allen can actually show that he can also contribute on the field as a CB, his roster spot would be very strong going forward as he would be a definite asset to the team.

Dare I mention DHB?
    I actually have long supported DHB on the roster. He is still a force on special teams (he should've had a block earlier this year) and his leadership seems to be important. He can still credibly play on offense.

Berhe and Dangerfield just are not able to contribute on defense. IF you have players (Allen 1.0 and maybe Allen 2.0) that can equal their special teams value and might have the ability to contribute on defense, than what is the point of those guys showing up to get roasted every week?

Seriously go back and watch the Ravens and Bucs games. Every time either team really needed a completion, they isolated on Berhe or Sensabuagh and beat them like a drum.

My hope is that Allen 1.0 quickly forces his way onto the field over Sensabaugh and Allen 2.0 gets some run as a "box" safety or "dimebacker" in sub-packages. Where he can just keep things in front of him and run downhill to the ball.

But this is WAY outside your point -- DHB good! Brian Allen good!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers Defense also resembles a Defense again with L.J Fort in the lineup.

So who's willing to bet we'll be seeing neither Allen or Fort for the rest of the season?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Shocked!! The guy who out preformed both Bumhe and Dumpsterfire in the preseason on ST improves the unit when played?

My mind is blown.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You get the feeling with those two and a couple others on this team that if they were cut, they wouldn’t land on another NFL roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You get the feeling with those two and a couple others on this team that if they were cut, they wouldn’t land on another NFL roster.

IMO they're just camp bodies for most teams in the NFL. They have some ability, but have never really shown anything that makes them stand out enough to be anything more than emergency fill-ins.

I didn't think either one of them should have made the 53 man roster. I know that most of the players at that level are similar in their performance, but my personal preference is to keep players with more upside over players that have limited ability.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers' Special Teams has Best Game of Season When Brian Allen Makes Debut

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    but my personal preference is to keep players with more upside over players that have limited ability.
    This should be the way that Tomlin and Colbert look at roster construction. I feel a lot of times they take what they are comfortable with opposed to a possible better or much better option. Hence the reason Landry Jones was around for so long...notice no one has run out to grab him as a back up...even after his workouts...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Steelers Defense also resembles a Defense again with L.J Fort in the lineup.

So who's willing to bet we'll be seeing neither Allen or Fort for the rest of the season?
    Gerry Dulac of the P-G, who has good sources with the Steelers, agrees with you on what happens to Fort

Fort showed some ability against Falcons. How do you see him being used when Williams returns?
    Gerry Dulac: The same -- special teams only

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201810100112

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Gerry Dulac of the P-G, who has good sources with the Steelers, agrees with you on what happens to Fort

Fort showed some ability against Falcons. How do you see him being used when Williams returns?
    Gerry Dulac: The same -- special teams only

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201810100112
    Yup, Fort is a good special teamer and backup ILB. While he is athletic, he isn't that strong at the point of attack in taking on blockers...just not full time starting material.

Fort is a scratch for today’s game...