Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 games

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

5 games

Is what it took for Conner to match Bell's season total in 2017 for 20+ yard rushes. Oh but Bell is so explosive right

Also on pace to get double digit rushing TD's for the season, something Bell hasn't done yet.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 5 games

It is about time somebody started a thread on this topic.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I love the way Conner has improved his feel for the passing game and his hands.

One of the most impressive things he did yesterday was on a swing pass in the right flat when Ben was under pressure. He spun to adjust to the ball and snagged it cleanly, then immediately put a move on a defender and ran with power to gain significant yards on the play.

It probably won't make anyone's highlight reel, but that play showed me some real natural pass catching skills, and really displayed his progression as a player with his feel for the game.

He was very impressive. He still needs to get better at running routes and his ball security could be better, but it was a great day for James Conner and the Steelers. For Le'Veon Bell......not so much.
    Last edited by pczach; 10-08-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I'm so happy hes getting his chance to shine! This would not have happened for him if Bell was playing. Kudos to to him for running with the opportunity. ( pun intended!)

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

HMM. Update through wk 5.
    Conner has very similar numbers, even slightly better through a 5 week sample now. The team is a half game worse, largely due to defense.
    More yards per carry. 29 less rushing yards on 18 fewer carries.
    Almost 100 more receiving yards on 5 less receptions.
    2 more TD’s
    Almost 50% more points for the offense
    Only the fumble in week 1 is worse, but Bell lost 2 fumbles last year in week 8 and week 12.
    Oh, and most importantly. Over $4M less to this point.

System, line, qb, wr’s. Bell’s future financials are diminishing as just a guy we picked up in the 3rd round is performing as well or better at 5% of the cost.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Running Backs are a dime a dozen. Good GMs still know that.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Bell skipping out of the first half of the season is a bigger blessing than it is curse ...

Had bell been here wk 1 we would not know what we have in Conner and would likely have spent a high round pick in the next draft for a RB ...

now we do not have to .......
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Conner is doing fantastic, but if there is anything I learned from years past. The Steelers don't get very far with one guy. The Bus couldn't do it, and neither could Bell even on his best days. The NFL works in funny ways. All it takes is one bad break to Conner, one awkward snap and the Steelers are essentially stuck with Stevan Ridley who isn't that good.

All of the Steelers' Super Bowl teams had a multi-faceted rushing attack.

1970's: Franco and Rocky. Nuff Said.
    1995: Bam Morris and Erric Pegram.
    2005: Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker
    2008: Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore
    2010: Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman

Its really a pity Bell had to be so dumb. He can Conner could've been a two-headed monster. The team doesn't "Need" Bell, but would be better with him.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

after 5 games there is no better picture of average than this steelers team 2-2-1

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If 30 had been wearing 26 yesterday, everyone in the national media would be talking about how Bell is the savior...

#InConnerITrust

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    after 5 games there is no better picture of average than this steelers team 2-2-1
    At least we're not sitting the Eagles' or Falcons' seats.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I love the way Conner has improved his feel for the passing game and his hands.

One of the most impressive things he did yesterday was on a swing pass in the right flat when Ben was under pressure. He spun to adjust to the ball and snagged it cleanly, then immediately put a move on a defender and ran with power to gain significant yards on the play.

It probably won't make anyone's highlight reel, but that play showed me some real natural pass catching skills, and really displayed his progression as a player with his feel for the game.

He was very impressive. He still needs to get better at running routes and his ball security could be better, but it was a great day for James Conner and the Steelers. For Le'Veon Bell......not so much.
    Said the same thing. That looked like a busted play and he just willed himself to get the yardage. Was very impressive.

I think the Eagles,if the rumors are true, are going to be pretty desperate to get Bell...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

A more true post has never been written here...lol

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    At least we're not sitting the Eagles' or Falcons' seats.
    #Truth

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Conner is doing fantastic, but if there is anything I learned from years past. The Steelers don't get very far with one guy. The Bus couldn't do it, and neither could Bell even on his best days. The NFL works in funny ways. All it takes is one bad break to Conner, one awkward snap and the Steelers are essentially stuck with Stevan Ridley who isn't that good.

All of the Steelers' Super Bowl teams had a multi-faceted rushing attack.

1970's: Franco and Rocky. Nuff Said.
    1995: Bam Morris and Erric Pegram.
    2005: Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker
    2008: Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore
    2010: Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman

Its really a pity Bell had to be so dumb. He can Conner could've been a two-headed monster. The team doesn't "Need" Bell, but would be better with him.
    The main reason the Bus didn't make it to the Super Bowl until his 10th year with the team was because of shitty QB play. Put a past his rookie playoff jitters Big Ben on one of those earlier teams and Bettis probably makes a Super Bowl trip earlier

The main reason the Steelers haven't been to a Super Bowl since Bell's arrival is because of porous defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Conner again showed that they don't need Bell, just like he showed in Cleveland. Hopefully he keeps it up

The main reason the Bus didn't make it to the Super Bowl until his 10th year with the team was because of shitty QB play. Put a past his rookie playoff jitters Big Ben on one of those earlier teams and Bettis probably makes a Super Bowl trip earlier
    Bus only has ONE 100-yard rushing game in the postseason. ONE, and that was against the Broncos in 1997. Bus inevitably broke down from the wear and tear of being the bellcow for those Steelers teams all those years.

The main reason the Steelers haven't been to a Super Bowl since Bell's arrival is because of porous defense.
    And below-standard play from everyone else. Bell runs for his life in the 2016 postseason, but the Chiefs game is still in doubt because Ben did nothing, and once Bell hit the wall in the title game, Ben did nothing again and the Defense disappeared.

In 2017, Ben gives Jacksonville 14 points and puts the Steelers in a hole, and a poor Defense was the nail in the coffin.

Conner again showed that they don't need Bell, just like he showed in Cleveland. Hopefully he keeps it up
    And when the Steelers inevitably end up making an early postseason exit again this year (assuming they even make the playoffs) as a result of Conner breaking down, who will you blame then? I hope they don't follow your advice and just jettison Bell out of town because of a dispute.

One-man rushing attacks don't win in the NFL. Walter Payton couldn't do it (Until he got Matt Suhey), Barry Sanders couldn't do it, Emmitt Smith couldn't do it (without Daryl Johnston after the 90's boys broke up of course), Curtis Martin couldn't do it, Jerome Bettis couldn't do it, Adrian Peterson couldn't do it, Shaun Alexander couldn't do it, and Ladanian Tomlinson sure as hell didn't do it.

If the Steelers run with the Conner show the rest of the year, they're fucked.

One-man rushing attacks don't win in the NFL. Walter Payton couldn't do it (Until he got Matt Suhey), Barry Sanders couldn't do it, Emmitt Smith couldn't do it (without Daryl Johnston after the 90's boys broke up of course), Curtis Martin couldn't do it, Jerome Bettis couldn't do it, Adrian Peterson couldn't do it, Shaun Alexander couldn't do it, and Ladanian Tomlinson sure as hell didn't do it.

That’s just a silly statement to start with.

But to play your game, Terrell Davis did it. Shaun Alexander did win in the NFL. Corey Dillon did it. Antwon Smith did it. Marshall Faulk did it. Just to name a few...

Bus only has ONE 100-yard rushing game in the postseason. ONE, and that was against the Broncos in 1997. Bus inevitably broke down from the wear and tear of being the bellcow for those Steelers teams all those years.

And below-standard play from everyone else. Bell runs for his life in the 2016 postseason, but the Chiefs game is still in doubt because Ben did nothing, and once Bell hit the wall in the title game, Ben did nothing again and the Defense disappeared.

In 2017, Ben gives Jacksonville 14 points and puts the Steelers in a hole, and a poor Defense was the nail in the coffin.

And when the Steelers inevitably end up making an early postseason exit again this year (assuming they even make the playoffs) as a result of Conner breaking down, who will you blame then? I hope they don't follow your advice and just jettison Bell out of town because of a dispute.

You are acting like the no. 2 RB is the most important position and is deciding Super Bowls without regard to OTHER aspects of the team such as QB, Defense, Coaching. Trust me winning a Super Bowl involves more than multiple RBs sharing carries

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

But to play your game, Terrell Davis did it. Shaun Alexander did win in the NFL. Corey Dillon did it. Antwon Smith did it. Marshall Faulk did it. Just to name a few...
    Beast Mode shouldered most of the load in 2013, as did Marcus Allen in 1983, John Riggins in 1982 among others

But to play your game, Terrell Davis did it.
    Howard Griffith, though TD is probably the closest guy to do it all, which is why he deserves the HOF despite not playing that long.

Shaun Alexander did win in the NFL.
    Ringless.

Corey Dillon did it. Antwon Smith did it.
    Kevin Faulk may like to have a word with you.

Marshall Faulk did it. Just to name a few...
    Robert Holcombe.

Beast Mode shouldered most of the load in 2013
    Robert Turbin.

as did Marcus Allen in 1983
    Marcus Allen ran 266 times for only 1,014 yards in 1983. Oh yeah, and Frank Hawkins.

John Riggins in 1982 among others
    Joe Washington.

But hey, I'll stop. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Howard Griffith, though TD is probably the closest guy to do it all, which is why he deserves the HOF despite not playing that long.

Ringless.

Robert Holcombe.

Robert Turbin.

Marcus Allen ran 266 times for only 1,014 yards in 1983. Oh yeah, and Frank Hawkins.

Joe Washington.

Are you really trying to say, some of those starts weren't the main guys in the backfield and that the respective Super Bowl teams wouldn't have won without some of the no. 2 RBs mentioned (some of which are obscure and whom most people haven't heard of?)

Barry Sanders problem was his supporting cast throughout the team was poor, chief among them was not having a QB or a head coach. Matt Suhey arrived in Chicago in 1980, Walter Payton didn't even win a division title or a playoff game until 1984 when the Bears dominant defense came into play, that's what earned Payton a ring. Again Bus didn't have a QB before Ben, Adrian Peterson only had one year of great play from Brett Favre and he lost Peterson's chance at a conference title with an ill-timed INT. Johnston was with Emmitt Smith for all but 3 of Smith's years with the Cowboys, they were already in decline before he left. Sorry, your apparent insinuation argument that it's the 2nd RB won all these Super Bowls is not correct. Tomlinson's biggest issues was Marty Schottenhemier's bad luck/playoff woes followed by Norv Turner being the head coach

5 games

Ringless.

Robert Holcombe.

Robert Turbin.

Joe Washington.

LMAO. Okay...you win...not like every team doesn’t have a #2 and #3 RB and a cast of other characters playing the game. But you’re right. No one has done it...and Conner won’t do it either! Neither would Bell.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Sound like more Ben hatred to me.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I'm so happy hes getting his chance to shine! This would not have happened for him if Bell was playing. Kudos to to him for running with the opportunity. ( pun intended!)
    At least one (and no doubt many more) of his teammates also is happy for him

Last edited by AtlantaDan; 10-09-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Are you really trying to say, some of those starts weren't the main guys in the backfield and that the respective Super Bowl teams wouldn't have won without some of the no. 2 RBs mentioned (some of which are obscure and whom most people haven't heard of?)
    What I'm saying is every Super Bowl team, even our very own Steelers, had greater success with a 1-2 punch in the backfield. Name the last Super Bowl winning team that had an all-star "feature back".

Conner is doing excellent and playing extremely well, but to say the team doesn't "need" Bell is retarded and detrimental to the team. That's like saying the team didn't "need" DeAngelo Williams in 2016. Running the wheels off of Conner for 16 games will only result in doom and disappointment. I know the team wanted Bell to come back, but Bell instead chose to be a pinhead.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    At least one (and no doubt many more) of his teammates also is happy for him

A little bit of both, they thing about running against an 8 man front is if you make it past the first level, it's going to be a big play

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

What I'm saying is every Super Bowl team, even our very own Steelers, had greater success with a 1-2 punch in the backfield. Name the last Super Bowl winning team that had an all-star "feature back".

Conner is doing excellent and playing extremely well, but to say the team doesn't "need" Bell is retarded and detrimental to the team. That's like saying the team didn't "need" DeAngelo Williams in 2016. Running the wheels off of Conner for 16 games will only result in doom and disappointment. I know the team wanted Bell to come back, but Bell instead chose to be a pinhead.

No, it isn't because Bell is not going to give a 100% He demonstrated that by not showing up in training camp. Piss on him!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    No, it isn't because Bell is not going to give a 100% He demonstrated that by not showing up in training camp. Piss on him!
    He kinda has to though. He will lose money if he acts like an asshole on-field.

Not only that, but an underwhelming performance and say, averaging 3.5 yards a carry won't get him the contract he desires. He needs to ball and hard

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    He needs to ball and hard
    ... So much that could be said...ugh...Trying so hard to resist ...