Thread: Eric Reid goes back on word and kneels yet again

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Eric Reid goes back on word and kneels yet again

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...anthers-debut/

- - - Updated - - -

some guys have a hard time learning lessons
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Eric Reid goes back on word and kneels yet again

He’s a selfish asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I honestly don't care which NFL player kneels during the national anthem. This story has run it's course. The sooner we don't give it any attention the better

(Insert "but you cared enough to comment" below quotations for this comment)

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I honestly don't care which NFL player kneels during the national anthem. This story has run it's course. The sooner we don't give it any attention the better

(Insert "but you cared enough to comment" below quotations for this comment)

This would work unfortunately, this country thrives on drama in just about every facet of life.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    This would work unfortunately, this country thrives on drama in just about every facet of life.
    Yeah, true, the media certainly likes to report the shit out of this story

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Yeah, true, the media certainly likes to report the shit out of this story
    The best part of the original photo on Brietbart was how many photogs were snapping pics while no one else was paying attention.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You know what's really amazing? Apparently, not a single black guy was mistreated by the police for an entire month while there was something else to scream about.

I wonder what the daily outrage will be as we head into election season? Sexism and hashtag-MeToo was a near lock until people wised up to it - now DNC leaders are wracking their brains (or what passes for brains, anyway) for a new gameplan.

Will it be back to racial injustice? That may have been sitting for too long to resurrect in time. Can't really use class warfare because everyone has a job now - although maybe there can be more screaming about healthcare. Or will they stick with the existing script and have 400 sexual assault accusations against every candidate for Congress? Stay tuned!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Do you think Reid knelt places while he was unemployed?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You know what's really amazing? Apparently, not a single black guy was mistreated by the police for an entire month while there was something else to scream about.

I wonder what the daily outrage will be as we head into election season? Sexism and hashtag-MeToo was a near lock until people wised up to it - now DNC leaders are wracking their brains (or what passes for brains, anyway) for a new gameplan.

Will it be back to racial injustice? That may have been sitting for too long to resurrect in time. Can't really use class warfare because everyone has a job now - although maybe there can be more screaming about healthcare. Or will they stick with the existing script and have 400 sexual assault accusations against every candidate for Congress? Stay tuned!
    Weird. It is almost like none of those words are true.

Here is just one series of protests, legal case, and intense discussions about racial injustice over the time period you requested (or you know, just justice) -- http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...005-story.html

Here is a sober fact based description of widening income disparities despite rising employment -- https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/19/inco...ed-states.html

Over the past month Yale students have been discussing the role of power and gender in obtaining clerkships.

But you know, don't let facts and reality intrude on your "hot take".

Look, I find many of the liberal "solutions" to these things often worse than useless but to deny their existence because media outlets decided not to tweet about it for a day is just really out of touch. Almost daily there are protests around social issues all across the country. Shockingly, very few of them have NFL players or Democratic politicians in attendance.

Just because the cowards and frauds on both sides of the aisle in Congress and the marionettes that pass for journalists these days don't talk about it doesn't mean there isn't a daily stream of awful out there in the world for a ton of people.

I mean using your logic we solved abortion, tax reform, defense spending, immigration, a nuclear N. Korea, and a variety of other issues. Haven't heard boo about them for some time.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the topic at hand. Reid is not very bright at all this.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Weird. It is almost like none of those words are true.

Here is just one series of protests, legal case, and intense discussions about racial injustice over the time period you requested (or you know, just justice) -- http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...005-story.html

Here is a sober fact based description of widening income disparities despite rising employment -- https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/19/inco...ed-states.html

Over the past month Yale students have been discussing the role of power and gender in obtaining clerkships.

But you know, don't let facts and reality intrude on your "hot take".

Look, I find many of the liberal "solutions" to these things often worse than useless but to deny their existence because media outlets decided not to tweet about it for a day is just really out of touch. Almost daily there are protests around social issues all across the country. Shockingly, very few of them have NFL players or Democratic politicians in attendance.

Just because the cowards and frauds on both sides of the aisle in Congress and the marionettes that pass for journalists these days don't talk about it doesn't mean there isn't a daily stream of awful out there in the world for a ton of people.

I mean using your logic we solved abortion, tax reform, defense spending, immigration, a nuclear N. Korea, and a variety of other issues. Haven't heard boo about them for some time.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the topic at hand. Reid is not very bright at all this.

The only thing the Democrats have left to offer is that everyone is some kind of victim, so what we need is government to the rescue. I feel truly sorry for anyone who actually believes such propaganda, and despise those who spread it.

The government does not, and never will, solve any of the problems that the left are screaming about. It is simply not the right tool. The government does not, and has never, elevated anyone out of poverty into a solid successful life (and if it did, leftists would scream that it was unfair); the government has not changed a single person's attitude about race, gender, or sexual orientation.

The left wants people to think "we're going to solve all your problems for you," when in reality what they want is for everyone to continue to be miserable and feel like they are just barely getting by, so that they will vote for Democrats who will magically fix everything someday. Only what they really want is for people to stay miserable. Stick with us, hope is just around the corner. All for the sake of gaining political power.

It is a despicable, shameless ideology led by a group of what can only be described as evil people. There is really no other word that is appropriate for it. That it has accumulated so many followers is frightening.

I think they have done an excellent job of helping people to confuse the ups and downs of day-to-day life with political or societal issues, but that is a dangerous game to be playing and no good will come of it.

Having said that, it is no surprise that someone with the apparent intelligence of Reid or Kaepernick would jump into such an ideology with both feet.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The only thing the Democrats have left to offer is that everyone is some kind of victim, so what we need is government to the rescue. I feel truly sorry for anyone who actually believes such propaganda, and despise those who spread it.

The government does not, and never will, solve any of the problems that the left are screaming about. It is simply not the right tool. The government does not, and has never, elevated anyone out of poverty into a solid successful life (and if it did, leftists would scream that it was unfair); the government has not changed a single person's attitude about race, gender, or sexual orientation.

The left wants people to think "we're going to solve all your problems for you," when in reality what they want is for everyone to continue to be miserable and feel like they are just barely getting by, so that they will vote for Democrats who will magically fix everything someday. Only what they really want is for people to stay miserable. Stick with us, hope is just around the corner. All for the sake of gaining political power.

It is a despicable, shameless ideology led by a group of what can only be described as evil people. There is really no other word that is appropriate for it. That it has accumulated so many followers is frightening.

I think they have done an excellent job of helping people to confuse the ups and downs of day-to-day life with political or societal issues, but that is a dangerous game to be playing and no good will come of it.

Having said that, it is no surprise that someone with the apparent intelligence of Reid or Kaepernick would jump into such an ideology with both feet.
    I really don't want to debate political ideologies with you for a long period of time. We tried that in other threads over the last year or so and it doesn't change either of our minds nor does anyone else enjoy it.

I will simply say that in previous discussions you have admitted to not being aware of a large number of realities for people that have a very different day to day experience than yourself. Your initial post in this thread indicates that to still be the case.

I do not think that ensuring all adults can vote in an equal and fair manner, actual victims of crimes are not marginalized or ignored because of how they look or where they come from, and that all competition occurs on as fair and equal a playing field as possible is an evil or illegitimate ideology.

If I wanted to I could argue very forcefully that the rhetoric of fear is just as shameful and deplorable a political stance. Vote for us because the other guys will let despicable criminals and subhuman animals loose to rape your women and slay your children. Anyone who doesn't look and act like "our" America is to be feared and marked for suspicion. If we wanted to talk about reprehensible political tactics. But that isn't my point.

My point is widen your view about the world. Consider how others see things. Be curious to discover something new. You don't have to change your mind, but you might find that there are more people worthy of your respect and consideration than your continually dismissive postings paint.

I fully realize that almost no one agrees with my politics here and I have tried my level best to not tell anyone that they shouldn't believe what they believe and passionately advocate for that position. Because I wholeheartedly believe that we have become far too dismissive of viewpoints different than our own. We attempt to shut out dissenting views in American political discussion. And we paint those that believe and act differently than we do as not only different but wrong. That lack of tolerance and any attempt to understand, not agree, but simply understand where the other guy is coming from is how we allowed our country to pass out the hands of actual representatives of the people and into the hands of anyone rich enough to advance their particular interest.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Juanita Broaddrick surely feels differently
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Juanita Broaddrick surely feels differently
    And I've repeatedly said I am not a Clinton supporter and believe that claims against Bill Clinton should've been more vigorously investigated.

So I'm not sure what you were going after? I'm certainly not responsible for every jack-ass on the left who blindly supports the Clintons and believes that no Dem could ever assault someone.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I don't see what the big deal is, kneeling isn't even a sign of disrespect. Should we call Tim Tebow a devil worshiper since he's kneeling to god?

It's not like the dude is dropping his pants and taking a leak whenever the anthem is playing. Honestly I think this whole issue has been majorly overblown over a little bit of nothing. Majority of the people saying kneeling is disrespecting the troops never served a day in the military. Most veterans I know could give a shit who's kneeling, they just want to watch football. For the record, I've served in the military and don't feel disrespected by the gesture. The protest is about police brutality anyway which has NOTHING to do with soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is, kneeling isn't even a sign of disrespect. Should we call Tim Tebow a devil worshiper since he's kneeling to god?

It's not like the dude is dropping his pants and taking a leak whenever the anthem is playing. Honestly I think this whole issue has been majorly overblown over a little bit of nothing. Majority of the people saying kneeling is disrespecting the troops never served a day in the military. Most veterans I know could give a shit who's kneeling, they just want to watch football. For the record, I've served in the military and don't feel disrespected by the gesture. The protest is about police brutality anyway which has NOTHING to do with soldiers.
    It is almost like it doesn't have anything to do with much of anything besides silencing dissent...weird.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

*yawn*

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I really don't want to debate political ideologies with you for a long period of time. We tried that in other threads over the last year or so and it doesn't change either of our minds nor does anyone else enjoy it.

I will simply say that in previous discussions you have admitted to not being aware of a large number of realities for people that have a very different day to day experience than yourself. Your initial post in this thread indicates that to still be the case.

Look, at this point I have pretty much given up on treating the left as if they are just well-meaning, otherwise reasonable people who happen to see the world differently from me. At every turn, they show that they are mean-spirited, petty, intolerant, and that many of them actually think I am the "enemy" just for existing. It is a dogshit ideology and the practical measures that come out of it are almost universally disastrous.

Much of this is almost certainly caused by the fact that the loudest and dumbest are the first ones to the microphone. But while at first it may have been a "perception" caused by a few extremists who didn't reflect all liberals, it has gone beyond that. They are actually letting those people run the show. Until that changes, I just have less than zero interest in hearing them out or listening to their story. There may well be respectable people with good intentions among the larger group, but they are not the ones anybody can hear.

This is something that the reasonable ones among that group would do well to take note of, and do something about ASAP. Because no one is going to hear them out while Surly O'Smugness and Screamy McBitchface are the face of their movement, or tantrum, or whatever you want me to call it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Well to me it's just the wrong platform to do this.

Look, at this point I have pretty much given up on treating the left as if they are just well-meaning, otherwise reasonable people who happen to see the world differently from me. At every turn, they show that they are mean-spirited, petty, intolerant, and that many of them actually think I am the "enemy" just for existing. It is a dogshit ideology and the practical measures that come out of it are almost universally disastrous.

Much of this is almost certainly caused by the fact that the loudest and dumbest are the first ones to the microphone. But while at first it may have been a "perception" caused by a few extremists who didn't reflect all liberals, it has gone beyond that. They are actually letting those people run the show. Until that changes, I just have less than zero interest in hearing them out or listening to their story. There may well be respectable people with good intentions among the larger group, but they are not the ones anybody can hear.

This is something that the reasonable ones among that group would do well to take note of, and do something about ASAP. Because no one is going to hear them out while Surly O'Smugness and Screamy McBitchface are the face of their movement, or tantrum, or whatever you want me to call it.
    I spent much of the last 3 years feeling the exact same way about the right. There is some true ugliness there as well. But then I attempted to peer through the noise, sought out information for myself, didn't listen to the angry voices on either side, and saw that there was some reason there as well.

I still don't agree with any of it, but that is my point. Don't let anyone define the debate for you, do it yourself.

And I have no idea who you talked to, but no serious leftist thinks that you are the enemy for existing. that is nonsense ginned up by the right. just as no one on the right wants to kill all the gays, enslave women, and deport everyone who didn't come over on the Mayflower.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I know its not quite apples to apples but the league silences anyone questioning the Refs or stupid rules they've adopted. Players cant wear a headband or certain socks or they are fined , yet the can do whatever the hell the want while the anthem playing. I was taught at young age, stop walking, take hat off, look at flag and don't talk or be disruptive. Its not that hard, these players have a huge platform and opportunity to speak and do good work with community which includes law enforcement. Kneeling is taking the easy way out.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Well to me it's just the wrong platform to do this.
    I agree with that, honestly if he wanted to make moves for his cause, there's a lot of better ways to do it on his own time.

I personally hate politics so the less of it in football the better. I watch football to watch a game, I don't care what people on the field believe in.

I agree with that, honestly if he wanted to make moves for his cause, there's a lot of better ways to do it on his own time.

I personally hate politics so the less of it in football the better. I watch football to watch a game, I don't care what people on the field believe in.
    I really dislike kneeling at the anthem because I was standing at my mother's side when the flag was handed to her over my father's coffin when I was a child. Too me, even though I understand why the kneeling occurs, it is still disrespectful to my father's service and his memory.

Now, that being said, let me explain why I disagree with the last clause of your sentence. There's very few better ways to do it on his own time. Why?

1. Viewers. There is very few ways to gain a national audience, or even a large regional audience. By kneeling during the anthem, he is making a statement that is immediately being broadcast to hundreds of thousands of people, perhaps millions of people.

2. What about TV? To get that same audience, he would have to find talk shows or national tv shows that would give him time. That, however, means he has to go into a potentially hostile situation (hostile as in debate-hostile, meaning people disagreeing with him and arguing with him) and get his point across.

3. Fine, then advertise. Well, a single 30 second ad buried in the middle of other advertising while everyone is up using the toilet or fast-forwarding on their DVRs is right around 700,000 dollars in the 17-18 tv season. The cost of kneeling on the sideline is free. Moreover, the act then reverberates through social media and continues to be talked about. To get that response would cost a lot more money in advertising.

4. Anger-Response. When such actions drive angry responses, it causes other people to start paying attention. Those people may ask why the person is doing what he or she is doing. That brings more light on the topic itself. Advertising, funding not-for-profit corporations to help drive change, and whatever else is not going to bring about the same kind of reaction across the entire country. Moreover, I'll guarantee you in their mindset, the idea is "Well, those getting really pissed about it wouldn't have cared about our cause in the first place, so we're not losing support from them." So, no, there really isn't a bigger stage in which his message can affect more people for as little as he's having to pay for it. In that sense, there's no better way to do it in his own time.

Now, that being said, I think the league should have stepped in and said, "We do not allow personal messages regardless of the circumstances. We have consistently fined players for doing such things on the sidelines, wearing clothing or shoes with writing or symbolism on it, or types or colors that symbolize something. That policy must remain consistent for all players at all times."

And, why does the NFL do that for so many other things? Because the players have learned what I've said above. It's the largest stage with the largest audience they will ever have unless they run for president or some other wierd, far-off circumstance.

I'm sorry about your father, and thank you for his service. Ironically, my father passed away when I was a young adult (25ish) and I was part of a military funeral where the flag was handed to my mom. I am also a military veteran. My grandfather has also served, basically I come from a line of soldiers haha.

What I'm saying is I don't take kneeling as a disrespectful gesture. Protesting during 'work', I can understand that's not the platform, and I agree with that. He or Kaep, or anyone NFL player could have easily used their celebrity status to get on any talk show or really any social media with their 300 million followers or whatever and accomplished the same thing without backlash from their employers. Heck, AB put a picture of himself kneeling on instagram and got no backlash from the fans or Steelers organization since he did it on his own time.

All I'm saying is I don't think the gesture is disrespectful. Wrong time and place? Yes, perhaps. But nobody ever said AB disrespected the troops, cause he didn't, although he basically did the same thing, just on his own time.

I'm sorry about your father, and thank you for his service. Ironically, my father passed away when I was a young adult (25ish) and I was part of a military funeral where the flag was handed to my mom. I am also a military veteran. My grandfather has also served, basically I come from a line of soldiers haha.

What I'm saying is I don't take kneeling as a disrespectful gesture. Protesting during 'work', I can understand that's not the platform, and I agree with that. He or Kaep, or anyone NFL player could have easily used their celebrity status to get on any talk show or really any social media with their 300 million followers or whatever and accomplished the same thing without backlash from their employers. Heck, AB put a picture of himself kneeling on instagram and got no backlash from the fans or Steelers organization since he did it on his own time.

All I'm saying is I don't think the gesture is disrespectful. Wrong time and place? Yes, perhaps. But nobody ever said AB disrespected the troops, cause he didn't, although he basically did the same thing, just on his own time.
    Thank you, and thank you and your family for all you've done.

As for what you've said, I actually don't disagree with any of it. I'm just disagreeing with the idea that there's better ways to do it on their own time. Of course, I should probably nuance that with, "When it concerns both reach and bringing a national spotlight on the issue." Personally, I've used the same argument about kneeling - I don't get to answer a phone when I worked in an insurance call center with, "Hello, my name is Craic, I believe abortion is murder, how can I help you?" In the same way, they're at work, and so, the employer should set a policy and they be made to follow it.

I was just saying that until that happens, the largest audience and most reach will be on Sunday morning, night, Monday night, and Thursday night, and the one way to assure that happens is during the anthem.

Now, even as I say that, I question it, however. Why? Because a thought just struck. What if they took it upon themselves to sow BLM on the sleeves of their jerseys? Sure, it'd be a fine, but that would cause even more of a stir. Could you imagine the argument about White Goodell fining black players for wearing Black Lives Matter letters on their jerseys?

You know what, I think I'd pay to see that! Maybe that's how we get Goodell out of office?!?!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Eric Reid has many beefs

Recently signed Carolina Panthers safety Eric Reid got into a pre-game confrontation with Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, reigniting their disagreement on strategies about social injustice initiatives.

While the pre-game coin toss was taking place Sunday, cameras caught Reid addressing Jenkins, who stepped up to Reid. The back-and-forth continued as several teammates had to restrain Reid and usher him to the Carolina sideline.....

Reid called Jenkins “a sellout" and “a neo-colonialist” after the Panthers' 21-17 come-from-behind victory.

“We believe a lot of players should’ve stepped up for Colin (Kaepernick),” Reid said. “I believe Malcolm capitalized on the situation. He co-opted the movement that was started by Colin to get his organization funded. It’s cowardly. He sold us out.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/1721515002/

Leaving aside the merits of his position, style points to Reid for taking trash talking to another level with "neo-colonialist."

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Eric Reid has many beefs

Recently signed Carolina Panthers safety Eric Reid got into a pre-game confrontation with Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, reigniting their disagreement on strategies about social injustice initiatives.

While the pre-game coin toss was taking place Sunday, cameras caught Reid addressing Jenkins, who stepped up to Reid. The back-and-forth continued as several teammates had to restrain Reid and usher him to the Carolina sideline.....

Reid called Jenkins “a sellout" and “a neo-colonialist” after the Panthers' 21-17 come-from-behind victory.

“We believe a lot of players should’ve stepped up for Colin (Kaepernick),” Reid said. “I believe Malcolm capitalized on the situation. He co-opted the movement that was started by Colin to get his organization funded. It’s cowardly. He sold us out.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/1721515002/

Leaving aside the merits of his position, style points to Reid for taking trash talking to another level with "neo-colonialist."
    File this under things I never thought I'd hear/see!!!

Neo-colonialist. Priceless.

Panthers should cut him. What an idiot.