Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 137 of 137

Thread: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

  1. #121
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    7,398

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Didn't Anitfa attack another building last night? I thought I saw something like that flash on my phone this morning, can anyone verify? Yes I'm lazy and don't feel like looking. Hey, at least I'm honest about it.
    Yeah. It was all linked together. Antifa and the Proud Boys got in a series of altercations in New York last night. Antifa wrote on a building and then got stomped. The same group that stomped Antifa appears to then have stomped other folks who were not involved in the original protests but were just against said stomping. It really isn't clear because it is a clown car on all sides.

  2. #122
    One bad JuJu Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute"> 43Hitman's Avatar
    Frogger Champion!

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Va
    Gender
    Posts
    6,661

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yeah. It was all linked together. Antifa and the Proud Boys got in a series of altercations in New York last night. Antifa wrote on a building and then got stomped. The same group that stomped Antifa appears to then have stomped other folks who were not involved in the original protests but were just against said stomping. It really isn't clear because it is a clown car on all sides.
    Thanks for the info Moj. Everyone needs to grow the eff up. And our local and state representatives need to step up on BOTH sides and squash this petty bullshit before this crap gets out of hand. Because I know for a fact that if that crap comes around my way, in my neighborhood, it won't end well for anyone.






  3. #123
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    4,583

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    There was also another incident in Portland yesterday where Antifa (yet again) went after a Patriot Prayer march and got into a pitched battle with "proud boys". That one is especially tragic, because Patriot Prayer isn't the least bit "fascist" or even right-wing.

    Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  4. #124
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    7,398

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Mojouw,
    You have not provided any instances that contradict my statement. There is only one side of the aisle where politicians are exhorting their base for more conflict and confrontation. Ellison is just one of them. You've also got Hillary (there can be no civility with a party that is destroying everything you believe in/ there will only be civility when we win) Maxine Waters (Get out there and get in their faces, tell them they're not welcome here. In gas stations, restaurants...) Eric Holder (when they go low, we kick them in the face) Cory Booker (supporters of Kavanaugh are complicit in evil, get up in their face)

    You attempt to draw an equivalence between people on the right being "linked to" or "reaching out to" far right extremists, but there is not a single example of this dangerous, inflammatory rhetoric from any of them. It has happened in the past, but it's not happening now. So yeah. Unilateral.

    And yeah, there is violence out there at both extremes, but the conflict only happens at right- wing events, never left- wing events. The lefties are actively seeking conflict at right- wing events. The opposite is not true.

    It has gotten out of hand and it is up to the Democrats to ratchet it down.
    Right wing protesters struck and killed an otherwise peaceable protester at Charlottesville. So there is one leg of your argument kicked out as not true.

    Booker's actual comments here (https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...t_in_evil.html) -- clearly indicating not literal fighting. But the idea that one should confront what one sees as moral wrongs. I, you, or anyone does not have to agree with Booker's definition of "moral wrong" but to say he is inciting violence is a bit much.

    Holder's comments here (https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a7df8cf27f6a) again he was not talking about literal violence. FWIW, Holder is a moron - but that is another subject.

    By the definitions you are using, MLK was a massive instigator of political violence. JFK was calling for beating commies in the streets apparently.

    If we want to go tit for tat on this, what about the fairly infamous Flight 93 Election essay (https://amgreatness.com/2016/09/05/flight-93-election/) written by a prominent right wing thinker that argues "I want my party to live. I want my country to live. I want my people to live." Really not hard to read that as a naked appeal to a white base and white fear of "others". Maybe you don't. Maybe it wasn't intended that way. But if we are going to lay the blame for violence at Booker and Holder's feet - why can't we argue that this type of thing has a role in violence like we saw at Charlottesville?

    Romeny in 2012 - "The Obama Administration fundamentally does not believe in the American Experiment." Is another version of what you accuse the Dems of. Don't listen to these other guys, they are not American in the right manner. So listen to us, even though we are out of power.

    Trump has repeatedly made a claim that he saw lots of Muslims celebrating 9/11 - never happened. Wanna bet that pissed some people off and made them want to get violent? Further his claims that an international cabal of bankers was plotting against him is about as open an appeal to antisemitism as you can get in 2018.

    While I will agree with you that one can not demonstrate a direct link between terrible statements made by right wing politicians and any specific violent episode - the same can be said in the other direction. There is simply no linkage between Antifa and the American Democratic party.

    You can believe whatever you want. But the linkage of ideas and concepts together with fundamentally flawed logic and then to attempt to use that to convince others just kinda pisses me off, regardless of subject.

    There is a ton of totally legitimate things to use to take down Booker, Waters, Holder, and Clinton. They have actually done stupid, ignorant, and illegal things. Why do we need to concoct some vast conspiratorial alliance between entitled whiny college kids, the liberal media, the higher education system, and Antifa in order to oppose individual politicians, their ideas, and/or their party? I mean there is more than enough wrong about the current liberal agenda that some half-baked conspiracy theory from the bowels of the internet is simply not necessary to mount a credible and convincing opposition.

  5. #125
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    4,583

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Right wing protesters struck and killed an otherwise peaceable protester at Charlottesville. So there is one leg of your argument kicked out as not true.
    False. It was one guy, not established as "right wing", nor a "protester", let alone plural "protesters". And Charlottesville was a right-wing event. Plus "otherwise peaceable" is a bit of a stretch there. How did all of those "otherwise peaceable protesters" produce baseball bats so quickly? We've all seen the video.

    Booker's actual comments here (https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...t_in_evil.html) -- clearly indicating not literal fighting. But the idea that one should confront what one sees as moral wrongs. I, you, or anyone does not have to agree with Booker's definition of "moral wrong" but to say he is inciting violence is a bit much.
    No it's not. If a Republican Senator were to have said those same exact words with what's going on right now you'd be demanding a retraction and rightly so.

    *snip*

    By the definitions you are using, MLK was a massive instigator of political violence. JFK was calling for beating commies in the streets apparently.
    False and ???. MLK never told anyone to seek out and harass his political opponents. JFK... I have no idea what you're even alluding to here.

    If we want to go tit for tat on this, what about the fairly infamous Flight 93 Election essay (https://amgreatness.com/2016/09/05/flight-93-election/) written by a prominent right wing thinker that argues "I want my party to live. I want my country to live. I want my people to live." Really not hard to read that as a naked appeal to a white base and white fear of "others". Maybe you don't. Maybe it wasn't intended that way. But if we are going to lay the blame for violence at Booker and Holder's feet - why can't we argue that this type of thing has a role in violence like we saw at Charlottesville?
    Have I not made it abundantly clear that I'm talking about what's going on right now? I have already plainly stated that the right has done this sort of thing in the past. And attempting to draw a moral equivalence between this and "there can be no civility" is a heckuva stretch. If some Dem said today "I want my party to live. I want my country to live. I want my people to live", I would not have a problem with it. You could find a better example than this if you tried... but not a recent one.

    Romeny in 2012 - "The Obama Administration fundamentally does not believe in the American Experiment." Is another version of what you accuse the Dems of. Don't listen to these other guys, they are not American in the right manner. So listen to us, even though we are out of power.
    "listen to us" is a far cry from "find them, get in their faces, let them know that they aren't welcome here". Good God... could you *imagine* if Romney had actually said any of this crap back then? It would've been a firestorm...

    (more stuff)
    Look, it's very simple: You either believe that what is going on right now is acceptable or you don't. You either believe that the level of rhetoric is acceptable or you don't. Imagine the tables turned and ask yourself if you would still be okay with it.

    ^ Yeah, I'm sure these aren't related at all. She didn't *literally* mean to do what she specifically told them to do, right? Or at least when she found out it was actually happening, she walked it back... right?

    Every Republican on this forum will tell you that I have never hesitated to call them out when they were in the wrong. Never. But now, sorry... but the Dems are clearly at fault for this and I'm laying the blame squarely at their feet.

    Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  6. #126
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    4,583

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Right wing protesters struck and killed an otherwise peaceable protester at Charlottesville. So there is one leg of your argument kicked out as not true.
    False. It was one guy, not established as "right wing", nor a "protester", let alone plural "protesters". And Charlottesville was a right-wing event. Also "otherwise peaceful" is somewhat suspect, given how quickly all of those "otherwise peaceful" protesters produced baseball bats. We've all seen the video.

    Booker's actual comments here (https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...t_in_evil.html) -- clearly indicating not literal fighting. But the idea that one should confront what one sees as moral wrongs. I, you, or anyone does not have to agree with Booker's definition of "moral wrong" but to say he is inciting violence is a bit much.
    No it's not. If a Republican Senator were to have said those same exact words with what's going on right now you'd be demanding a retraction and rightly so.

    *snip*

    By the definitions you are using, MLK was a massive instigator of political violence. JFK was calling for beating commies in the streets apparently.
    False and ???. MLK never told anyone to seek out and harass his political opponents. JFK... I have no idea what you're even alluding to here.

    If we want to go tit for tat on this, what about the fairly infamous Flight 93 Election essay (https://amgreatness.com/2016/09/05/flight-93-election/) written by a prominent right wing thinker that argues "I want my party to live. I want my country to live. I want my people to live." Really not hard to read that as a naked appeal to a white base and white fear of "others". Maybe you don't. Maybe it wasn't intended that way. But if we are going to lay the blame for violence at Booker and Holder's feet - why can't we argue that this type of thing has a role in violence like we saw at Charlottesville?
    Have I not made it abundantly clear that I'm talking about what's going on right now? I have already plainly stated that the right has done this sort of thing in the past. And this isn't a particularly good example. If a Dem were to say these exact words this evening, nobody would bat an eye and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

    Romeny in 2012 - "The Obama Administration fundamentally does not believe in the American Experiment." Is another version of what you accuse the Dems of. Don't listen to these other guys, they are not American in the right manner. So listen to us, even though we are out of power.
    "listen to us" is a far cry from "find them, get in their faces, let them know that they aren't welcome here". Good God... could you *imagine* if Romney had actually said any of this crap back then? It would've been a firestorm...

    (more stuff)
    Look, it's very simple: You either believe that what is going on right now is acceptable or you don't. You either believe that the level of rhetoric is acceptable or you don't. Imagine the tables turned and ask yourself if you would still be okay with it.

    ^ Yeah, I'm sure these aren't related at all. She didn't *literally* mean for them to do what she specifically told them to do, right? Or at least when she found out it was actually happening, she walked it back... right? Riiight?

    Every Republican on this forum will tell you that I have never hesitated to call them out when they were in the wrong. Never. But now, sorry... but the Dems are clearly at fault for this and I'm laying the blame squarely at their feet. It would be politic to say, "there is plenty of blame to go around and everyone needs to take a step back"... but that's simply not accurate and I can't pretend otherwise. And it's fine if you don't agree with me. Nobody said we have to agree in order to be cool with each other. But this is the way I see it and I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

    Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  7. #127
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    7,398

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    So really your only point appears to be this:

    "...that I'm talking about what's going on right now? I have already plainly stated that the right has done this sort of thing in the past."

    So all you have really observed is that the political party out of power often resorts to the rhetoric of fear, violence, and hate to rally its base to stay mobilized and engaged? And yes, that sadly and unacceptably sometimes has the consequence of sparking or encouraging violence.

    I mean, I conceded that point in the original posts related to this subject. You can not just draw arbitrary lines around a situation and then exclaim that you have identified a new phenomena or outcome.

    The pattern of American politics for the past 70 (possibly far longer) years has been that the party out of power resorts to fear and anger to rally is supporters and maintain a coherent opposition until they can retake power at the ballot box. Then when an election flips the parties in power, they decry the same tactics they had just used a "moment" ago. This is not novel, new, different, unusual, or even, sadly, remarkable.

    Which is why I argue that neither party is seeking to serve the American people in a real or coherent manner. Both parties are cowards and frauds that will say and do whatever they feel is necessary to win elections. Once they win those elections they will seek to deny the use of the same/similar tactics to their opposition.

    And I honestly think we are both getting hung up on the details here. Are the comments of Water and Booker a "good" thing? No, of course not. But they are consistent with the type of political firebombs that politicians of the minority party make. So, we are back to the both sides do it thing. And we can assign blame to any one side or the other if we simply play around with the chronology. But, perhaps this is not your point or position, many are attempting to take this one moment in time and draw some sort of moral high-ground argument and that is almost totally unsupportable.

  8. #128
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    4,583

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So really your only point appears to be this:

    "...that I'm talking about what's going on right now? I have already plainly stated that the right has done this sort of thing in the past."

    So all you have really observed is that the political party out of power often resorts to the rhetoric of fear, violence, and hate to rally its base to stay mobilized and engaged? And yes, that sadly and unacceptably sometimes has the consequence of sparking or encouraging violence.

    I mean, I conceded that point in the original posts related to this subject. You can not just draw arbitrary lines around a situation and then exclaim that you have identified a new phenomena or outcome.

    The pattern of American politics for the past 70 (possibly far longer) years has been that the party out of power resorts to fear and anger to rally is supporters and maintain a coherent opposition until they can retake power at the ballot box. Then when an election flips the parties in power, they decry the same tactics they had just used a "moment" ago. This is not novel, new, different, unusual, or even, sadly, remarkable.

    Which is why I argue that neither party is seeking to serve the American people in a real or coherent manner. Both parties are cowards and frauds that will say and do whatever they feel is necessary to win elections. Once they win those elections they will seek to deny the use of the same/similar tactics to their opposition.

    And I honestly think we are both getting hung up on the details here. Are the comments of Water and Booker a "good" thing? No, of course not. But they are consistent with the type of political firebombs that politicians of the minority party make. So, we are back to the both sides do it thing. And we can assign blame to any one side or the other if we simply play around with the chronology. But, perhaps this is not your point or position, many are attempting to take this one moment in time and draw some sort of moral high-ground argument and that is almost totally unsupportable.
    Mojouw,

    Yes, we are mostly in agreement on this post. But to clarify, I have 'observed' a helluva lot more than that over the decades.

    So now, *in the moment* we either place the burden of de-escalating the situation in the hands of those who are responsible *in the moment* or we accept whatever happens. You know... "In the moment"

    Personally, I think it's gone too far, and I think the general electorate sees it the same way... but I may be mistaken. Of course YMMV.

    Steelers are finally above .500!
    -Slashy
    Last edited by GoSlash27; 10-15-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  9. #129
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    7,398

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Mojouw,

    Yes, we are mostly in agreement on this post.

    So now, *in the moment* we either place the burden of de-escalating the situation in the hands of those who are responsible *in the moment* or we accept whatever happens. You know... "In the moment"

    Personally, I think it's gone too far, and I think the general electorate sees it the same way... but I may be mistaken. Of course YMMV.

    Steelers are finally above .500!
    -Slashy
    Fair enough. The saddest part of all this is that the politicians who make the most extreme statements, on either side, are also the electorally safest.

  10. #130
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    4,583

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Fair enough. The saddest part of all this is that the politicians who make the most extreme statements, on either side, are also the electorally safest.
    Mojouw,
    Hell, that's by design and it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface But I'm not here to convert you to my way of thinking.

    Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  11. #131
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,805

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Follow me on Twitter @Dwinsgames

  12. #132

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Trump has repeatedly made a claim that he saw lots of Muslims celebrating 9/11 - never happened.
    Actually, it did. There was an AP freelance videographer who recorded a few thousand people celebrating in Nablus. It never made the news because his life was threatened if it was release. Here's the AP story recounting the AP Chief of Bureau Dan Perry's protest to the Palestinian Authority on the threat to the reporter's life.

    The video that made the rounds that day, however, was an earlier video of kids dancing in Jerusalem that was wrongly associated with the attacks.

    So, no, Trump most-likely never saw the video. However, yes, there were some Muslims celebrating, at least in Nablus.

    EDIT: Here's a November 2001 piece on the topic written by an American Missionary (who comes from the left side of the spectrum) and then a Muslim. Note that overall tone is how the US responded incorrectly to what was shown on TV and how it was very wrong to do so. However, in the midst of that, she also says, "Yes, there were some gatherings of people, particularly in Nablus who were shown in the very hours of the horrible attacks in the US on the street, dancing and cheering, and passing out chocolate. But, these expressions were few and . . . " she goes on to say how the majority were as upset as everyone else. So, that's two independent sources confirming that in fact, there were some celebrations. Again, not a lot, the "Muslim world" didn't celebrate. Some Muslims in a few areas did.

    As much as we need to counter the narrative that paints Muslims celebrating with a large brush across the mideast, we also have to counter the narrative that non of them did, because neither narrative is true.
    “Life is a series of decisions you make that add up to your reputation. Do the right thing.”
    —Dan Rooney (1932-2017)

  13. #133
    Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Actually, it did. There was an AP freelance videographer who recorded a few thousand people celebrating in Nablus. It never made the news because his life was threatened if it was release. Here's the AP story recounting the AP Chief of Bureau Dan Perry's protest to the Palestinian Authority on the threat to the reporter's life.

    The video that made the rounds that day, however, was an earlier video of kids dancing in Jerusalem that was wrongly associated with the attacks.

    So, no, Trump most-likely never saw the video. However, yes, there were some Muslims celebrating, at least in Nablus.
    Of course Mr. Trump claimed he saw thousands cheering in Jersey City, New Jersey, and, as usual, doubled down on that ludicrous claim when called on it by contending what he allegedly saw was "well covered"

    VIDEO CLIP OF DONALD TRUMP, IN WHICH HE SAYS: Hey, I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down. And I watched in Jersey City, New Jersey, where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering.”...

    [GEORGE] STEPHANOPOULOS: “You know, the police say that didn’t happen and all those rumors have been on the Internet for some time. So did you misspeak yesterday?”

    TRUMP:It did happen. I saw it.”
    STEPHANOPOULOS: “You saw that…”
    TRUMP: It was on television. I saw it.
    STEPHANOPOULOS: “…with your own eyes?”
    TRUMP:George, it did happen.”
    STEPHANOPOULOS:Police say it didn’t happen.”
    TRUMP: “There were people that were cheering on the other side of New Jersey, where you have large Arab populations. They were cheering as the World Trade Center came down. I know it might be not politically correct for you to talk about it, but there were people cheering as that building came down — as those buildings came down. And that tells you something. It was well covered at the time, George. Now, I know they don’t like to talk about it, but it was well covered at the time. There were people over in New Jersey that were watching it, a heavy Arab population, that were cheering as the buildings came down. Not good.”...

    We heard from many readers who are convinced they saw this on television but from their description they are referring to reports (linked above) of Palestinians celebrating on the Israeli-occupied West Bank. ...

    This appears to be another case of Trump’s overactive imagination

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.eb39eea6a73e

  14. #134

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Of course Mr. Trump claimed he saw thousands cheering in Jersey City, New Jersey, and, as usual, doubled down on that ludicrous claim when called on it by contending what he allegedly saw was "well covered"

    VIDEO CLIP OF DONALD TRUMP, IN WHICH HE SAYS: Hey, I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down. And I watched in Jersey City, New Jersey, where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering.”...

    [GEORGE] STEPHANOPOULOS: “You know, the police say that didn’t happen and all those rumors have been on the Internet for some time. So did you misspeak yesterday?”

    TRUMP:It did happen. I saw it.”
    STEPHANOPOULOS: “You saw that…”
    TRUMP: It was on television. I saw it.
    STEPHANOPOULOS: “…with your own eyes?”
    TRUMP:George, it did happen.”
    STEPHANOPOULOS:Police say it didn’t happen.”
    TRUMP: “There were people that were cheering on the other side of New Jersey, where you have large Arab populations. They were cheering as the World Trade Center came down. I know it might be not politically correct for you to talk about it, but there were people cheering as that building came down — as those buildings came down. And that tells you something. It was well covered at the time, George. Now, I know they don’t like to talk about it, but it was well covered at the time. There were people over in New Jersey that were watching it, a heavy Arab population, that were cheering as the buildings came down. Not good.”...

    We heard from many readers who are convinced they saw this on television but from their description they are referring to reports (linked above) of Palestinians celebrating on the Israeli-occupied West Bank. ...

    This appears to be another case of Trump’s overactive imagination

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.eb39eea6a73e
    Meh... as I said. It happened, but he didn't see it. Moreover, it wasn't like he said. (Oh, and it did occur in NJ as well. But again, not like he said, and he didn't see it on TV.)
    “Life is a series of decisions you make that add up to your reputation. Do the right thing.”
    —Dan Rooney (1932-2017)

  15. #135
    Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    in a cave
    Gender
    Posts
    2,805

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Meh... as I said. It happened, but he didn't see it. Moreover, it wasn't like he said. (Oh, and it did occur in NJ as well. But again, not like he said, and he didn't see it on TV.)
    meh ... I do not give much credence to this sort of thing here is why ...

    we are all football fans ...

    we are all steelers fans ( well 98% of us here anyways )

    the year mendenhall was drafted I seen a piece on him ( may have been path to the draft ) where he exclaimed football was not his #1 priority in life and was not his first love ... now considering it was a football piece and a draft piece and he knew it .... that hit home with me and stuck ... I did NOT want him drafted by the steelers ... I wasnt that high on him prior to seeing that piece and he lost a full round of value in my mind just making that statement ... I posted about that here before a few years ago and if my memory serves only 1 or 2 people could recall any such piece ... I searched and searched for the video to show it but to no avail I could not find it but I know 100% I seen it

    I remember seeing Muslims cheering and dancing in the streets during 911 too , I do not believe it was here in the US as I think some of them had AK's in their hands but its pretty fuzzy on the details and was a long time ago and watched countless hours of coverage on several networks during and since .... I can see how someone could mistake where a video took place at with coverage jumping from one place to another with reactions add in that is was a horrific event and a degree of shock has taken over it is quite possible you may remember something incorrectly but it does not mean it wasnt seen , just misrecalled ...



    I landed under sniper fire
    Follow me on Twitter @Dwinsgames

  16. #136

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    meh ... I do not give much credence to this sort of thing here is why ...

    we are all football fans ...

    we are all steelers fans ( well 98% of us here anyways )

    the year mendenhall was drafted I seen a piece on him ( may have been path to the draft ) where he exclaimed football was not his #1 priority in life and was not his first love ... now considering it was a football piece and a draft piece and he knew it .... that hit home with me and stuck ... I did NOT want him drafted by the steelers ... I wasnt that high on him prior to seeing that piece and he lost a full round of value in my mind just making that statement ... I posted about that here before a few years ago and if my memory serves only 1 or 2 people could recall any such piece ... I searched and searched for the video to show it but to no avail I could not find it but I know 100% I seen it

    I remember seeing Muslims cheering and dancing in the streets during 911 too , I do not believe it was here in the US as I think some of them had AK's in their hands but its pretty fuzzy on the details and was a long time ago and watched countless hours of coverage on several networks during and since .... I can see how someone could mistake where a video took place at with coverage jumping from one place to another with reactions add in that is was a horrific event and a degree of shock has taken over it is quite possible you may remember something incorrectly but it does not mean it wasnt seen , just misrecalled ...
    The difference, however, is the clip that was played that we all saw was pretty well known. Moreover, they store all that happens on live TV. So, unlike what you said about Mendy, we know for a fact that the videos being discussed were aired the day of and the week of the attacks. From there, it doesn't take much to go through and view all the video from CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC, and so on. In fact, in the article I linked, that very thing has been done. What they found was all those videos linked back to footage that was about something else entirely. The videos were applied in the wrong context, and then to make it worse, a British Journalist is narrating over the top of it, "Sweets from Bin Laden" as in, the candies the kid was giving out was a metaphor for the "sweet" of seeing an act of terror in the US. That video has been debunked by several different groups. The problem is that the video created a narrative, and now we interpret all the events of that day (specifically talking about celebration) based on the narrative even though the roots of the narrative have now been disproven (the video at hand).

    As I've said, however, it didn't mean some didn't celebrate. I've linked to sources in which the historicity of the account is proven or at the very least, evidence strongly suggests it should be accepted as factual.
    ______

    Apropos to the general discussion now in this thread.
    https://freebeacon.com/politics/two-...ted-minnesota/
    Last edited by Craic; 10-17-2018 at 02:05 PM.
    “Life is a series of decisions you make that add up to your reputation. Do the right thing.”
    —Dan Rooney (1932-2017)

  17. #137
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    4,583

    Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

    Honestly, I don't even know why we're arguing this minor point.

    Yes, Trump is prone to embellishment and doubling- down on his mistakes. We all know this, even if some on the right are loath to admit it. But here's the thing: It was offered up as an example of inflammatory rhetoric from the right, which it was not. He said this in defense of his proposal to curtail immigration from countries with a large ISIS presence. He *never* suggested or implied that people should confront or assult Muslim Americans and (more importantly) nobody was doing that. It would've been arguable if people from the right were going into Muslim communities and cracking heads at the time he said it, but they weren't doing that and they didn't do it after he said it.
    This is, in no way shape or form, comparable to what's going on today where we have militant leftists assaulting people in the streets and destroying property while Democratic politicians are encouraging and defending it.
    Whether Trump was lying, or mistaken, or technically correct... that doesn't matter in the slightest AFA what's going on right now. The entire subject is irrelevant.

    Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •