Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Kavanaugh Confirmed...

...and the liberals are throwing another spoiled, temper tantrum. Classic.

It's funny how Ford has no interest in pursuing her "claim" any longer.

I hope Kavanaugh sues her.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

Demonrats attempts to destroy Kavanaugh fail. A rarity as Republicans (save for one) showed some guts, most prominently from Lindsey Graham.

I am glad he got confirmed, he didn't deserve the bullshit heaped on him

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Voting for Trump is like listening to country music backwards ... You get your wife back ...you get you truck back.... you get your house back ....you get your country back
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Voting for Trump is like listening to country music backwards ... You get your wife back ...you get you truck back.... you get your house back ....you get your country back
    Congratulations on getting "your" country back

Whether everyone loving "their" nation rather than the nation may not be sustainable for anyone according to this noted leftist

“This is the second most divided time in our history, and I’m worried about the legitimacy of the court,” conservative commentator William J. Bennett said, comparing the current moment to the breakdowns that preceded the Civil War."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.becea16a72c2

But who knows I am old enough to have lived through the period from November 1963 to April 1975 (JFK killed to loss of Vietnam War). If the country survived those divisions it probably can get through these angry times.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Another joke in the long comedy show that’s been the US Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

The fact that this man was considered guilty before proven innocent is deplorable. I wasn't going to participate in the midterms, but I damn sure will now. Again the DemocRats have awoken the silent majority. I see nothing but more Winning in November now. Thanks for the seats Dems.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I do not vote party lines. I used to but after waaaay too many elected officials conveniently forget the promises that got them elected in the first place, I chose to be a bit more selective. I honestly could not care any less about Kavanaugh getting confirmed or not. I agree the entire process leading up to it was garbage and completely politically driven. I also know from remembering the past that the other side of the aisle has done the exact same thing. This was just more of the same. All of the political campaign commercials for this upcoming election talk about how the opponent is evil. Nothing substantial about the candidate the ad is for. I begg all of you to do some research on the candidates before you cast your vote. Something a bit beyond which party they affiliate with. Try at least to make an intelligent decision and not just based on rhetoric and tow the line. PLEASE!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here's the thing. We just had our representatives in Congress confirm a man to a lifetime seat on the highest court in the land that has lied to them under oath on multiple occasions. Were any of these lies "whoppers" and about things of great importance? Most likely not. But why lie? Why not simply say, "Yeah. 17 year old me got drunk, passed out, vomited, and incessantly made immature lewd comments. I am not proud of that and have worked to become better....blah...blah...blah". How hard would that have been? I, and I suspect many others, would have respected Kavanaugh for doing so. Instead he took an oath and broke it by offering worse lies than I did when I got caught acting the fool in high school.

But, instead, the cowards and frauds that lead our nation -- on both sides of the aisle -- put on a sham trial, turned the Senate into a kangaroo court, and spent the better part of a month shameless grandstanding to their respective base. No leadership shown by anyone. At least attempt to pretend the Senate is an "august body" and anyone should be at least chastised for lying to them.

But the court has the votes to take down Roe now. And people that write very big checks to politicians that will soon be on the campaign trail wanted that to happen. Once again, money controlled the actions of our "representative" on all sides.

For me, this whole process just demonstrated that no one on the left or the right gives a flying fig about me or other "regular folks" outside of the few days a year we occupy a voting booth. Outside of that it is all simply increasingly transparent attempts to manipulate our emotions as cover for letting the people that bought and paid for them run the show.

And I'm sure some will read this post a certain way and respond with something about the Clintons and liberal tears. I can assure you this isn't that. I didn't bat an eye when Garland was nominated and confirmed, because he was not a childish entitled man-child. He was simply a judge that I have different views from.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Be careful about wishing for a Supreme Court vacancy by someone dying

I lived through the 60s and can tell you once the genie of having someone die to achieve political change is out of the bottle it can take some nasty turns and not necessarily be a one off in a country as well armed as ours

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

I lived through the 60s and can tell you once the genie of having someone die to achieve political change is out of the bottle it can take some nasty turns and

not necessarily be a one off

in a country as well armed as ours
    What do you mean Dan?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    What do you mean Dan?
    It is a slippery slope to post suggestions that the time has come for someone in public life to die (always with the disclaimer it is just good ol’ fashioned political satire and some people just cannot take a joke) and some lunatic on the right or left to decide to help that process along by pulling a trigger or setting off a bomb

Something our current situation is missing to match the chaos of the 60s are recurring assassinations - but that seems to be a next step that will not surprise me with emotions being so high, particularly in a society where mass murders are just background noise and mentally disturbed individuals have the means to carry out their frustrations and/or dreams

Once that ball got rolling in the 60s JFK was not a one off but followed by Dr King which was followed by Senator Kennedy along with murders of second line public figures like Malcolm X and Medgar Evers -

Get some nut with an end justifies the means approach that our politics have in large part become, mix in access to the online political bile of choice along with a demented spin on Jefferson’s observation that “the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants,” and attempts to kill a political figure (and that now indisputably covers Supreme Court Justices) may be coming down the road our nation currently is traveling

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

It is a slippery slope to post suggestions that the time has come for someone in public life to die

(always with the disclaimer it is just good ol’ fashioned political satire and some people just cannot take a joke) and some lunatic on the right or left to decide to help that process along by pulling a trigger or setting off a bomb

Something our current situation is missing to match the chaos of the 60s are recurring assassinations - but that seems to be a next step that will not surprise me with emotions being so high, particularly in a society where mass murders are just background noise and mentally disturbed individuals have the means to carry out their frustrations and/or dreams

Once that ball got rolling in the 60s JFK was not a one off but followed by Dr King which was followed by Senator Kennedy along with murders of second line public figures like Malcolm X and Medgar Evers -

Get some nut with an end justifies the means approach that our politics have in large part become, mix in access to the online political bile of choice along with a demented spin on Jefferson’s observation that “the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants,” and attempts to kill a political figure (and that now indisputably covers Supreme Court Justices) may be coming down the road our nation currently is traveling
    Understood and agreed, Dan.

This is an example of why I do not watch, read or search the news very much these days.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

I lived through the 60s and can tell you once the genie of having someone die to achieve political change is out of the bottle it can take some nasty turns and not necessarily be a one off in a country as well armed as ours
    Nobody said anything about dying. Pretty sure it's more about retirement than calling for someones death. Just saying.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Kavanaugh isn't the Justice I wanted, but I found myself rooting for him after all this deplorable behavior from the left. AFA Roe, I'm not concerned about it. Only one of the Justices has said he's willing to consider a challenge, let alone overturn it.

I think the left overplayed their hand and pissed off a lot of people. If the Republicans keep the Senate (probable) and Ginsburg steps down (possible), then hold on to your hats. It'd be hilarious if Trump nominated Merrick Garland to replace her
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Nobody said anything about dying. Pretty sure it's more about retirement than calling for someones death. Just saying.
    Uh-huh

Walk me through why Justice Ginsburg would resign to allow her replacement to be appointed by President Trump if not for a terminal health condition.

Boredom?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Uh-huh

Walk me through why Justice Ginsburg would resign to allow her replacement to be appointed by President Trump if not for a terminal health condition.

Boredom?
    AtlantaDan,
    If she thinks that she can't hold out for another 2 years minimum (or possibly 6), she may decide to retire.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Uh-huh

Boredom?
    Whatever guy. Nobody said anything about death.

Maybe her own words on retirement? The left continues down the path of hate and destruction it's on pretty much guarantees trump a second term.

“I’m now 85,” Ginsburg said, according to CNN. “My senior colleague Justice John Paul Stevens, he stepped down when he was 90. So think I have about at least five more years.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ef66e0309f5b

She could retire sooner or later than that? But go ahead and jump to whatever conclusion you want.

I'm not to sure about any terminal heath condition. This is from 2009 seems she's doing just fine.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Cancer...6813420&page=1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Whatever guy. Nobody said anything about death.

Maybe her own words on retirement? The left continues down the path of hate and destruction it's on pretty much guarantees trump a second term.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ef66e0309f5b

She could retire sooner or later than that? But go ahead and jump to whatever conclusion you want.

I'm not to sure about any terminal heath condition. This is from 2009 seems she's doing just fine.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Cancer...6813420&page=1
    The article from this past summer you linked to where Justice Ginsburg said she is not planning on going anywhere for five years states "Ginsburg set the goal posts for her retirement in a suspiciously convenient place for liberals: when Trump probably won't be able to pick her replacement."

But when you post a photo of her appearing to be in physical distress with the caption "soon" and Trump looming in the background that is just a neutral comment (albeit one that contradicts what Justice Ginsburg recently said about when she plans to leave) by whoever put that together - got it. Seems a little contradictory to me if you want to contend that was a benign message, but since it is "the left" that is proceeding down a path of hate & destruction I can see where you are coming from in believing there is nothing offensive there.

But whatever guy - jump to whatever conclusion you want

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here's the thing. We just had our representatives in Congress confirm a man to a lifetime seat on the highest court in the land that has lied to them under oath on multiple occasions.
    Were any of the "lies" proven? Or is it just that there was contradictory statements from others? (I really don't know the answer.)

Like i said whatever. We both no she is not in any distress unless you count sleeping being in distress? Again, I never said the left has a monopoly on hate.
    I understand what your saying, was not my intention at all.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore on this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Were any of the "lies" proven? Or is it just that there was contradictory statements from others? (I really don't know the answer.)
    More along the line of disputed than unequivocally established to be false. But lots of false statement cases come down to credibility assessments with defendants contending they were not lying but still being convicted - and that is with the reasonable doubt standard for criminal convictions rather than preponderance of the evidence.

Like so much of this fiasco it comes down to who you regard to be credible.

New York Times ran a breakdown of the disputed testimony but since many people, including but not limited to the President, do not regard the NYT to be credible take this linked article for whatever credibility someone wants to give to it.

The New York Times fact-checked his testimony, comparing his statements against the recollections of former classmates and acquaintances from his youth, as well as records from his time working in the administration of George W. Bush.

The combative nominee was compelled to answer questions he clearly found embarrassing or offensive. What emerges is the image of a skilled lawyer who, when pressed on difficult subjects, sometimes crafted responses that were misleading, disputed or off point.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/28/u...act-check.html

The combative nominee was compelled to answer questions he clearly found embarrassing or offensive. What emerges is the image of a skilled lawyer who, when pressed on difficult subjects, sometimes crafted responses that were misleading, disputed or off point.
    Sounds like a politician to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

More along the line of disputed than unequivocally established to be false.
    Then lets call them what they are... disputed, not "proven lies." That kind of talk seems agenda-based.

Thanks for the info Dan.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I mean if you seriously think that all his nonsense explanations of what terms in his yearbook and other documents meant, then I guess we can still say we don't know. I damn well know teenage terms for sex when I hear them and this dude straight dead-ass lied under oath.

Is that really the biggest of things to freak out about? No. I don't care that he said and wrote dumb crap about drinking and sex when he was in high school. But own that crap and don't attempt to look Senators and the American people in the eye and expect me to believe your words were not about excessive drinking, vomiting, group sex, and other "party" behaviors.

My problem with this whole thing is that it turned on whether we believe Kavanaugh did this or that several decades ago. And further what impact those alleged actions could or should have on a job interview far down the line. Fine - those are legit points to argue and debate and have extremely strong feelings on.

But WAY before we get to that, we have a dude who looked Congress and the American people in the face and lied. Repeatedly. He also refused to answer a straight question on whether or not he believe his past and the version of it he told would stand up to a directed investigation.

Judge Kavanaugh is not of a high enough personal character to serve on the highest court in the land. Small lies are still lies. If Kavanaugh is willing to casually lie about easily proven false things of little consequences, what is willing to do regarding something he considers important?

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/03/kavanaugh-lied.html

https://www.gq.com/story/all-of-brett-kavanaughs-lies

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...ut-everything/

I mean this dude introduced the calendar evidence that outed 2 of his lies. He can't even keep his own BS straight. At least other politicos can ride the lie!

Crying/spilt milk. Kavanaugh was the nominee, he is eminently qualified, he was confirmed, and will be sworn in in about an hour. Time to move on to the next faux 'outrage'.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Crying/spilt milk. Kavanaugh was the nominee, he is eminently qualified, he was confirmed, and will be sworn in in about an hour. Time to move on to the next faux 'outrage'.
    I've moved on and will not be fixating on it. I'm far more pissed at what this whole process says about our representatives in Congress than Kavanaugh getting confirmed.

Just another pile of evidence that both sides are bought and paid for and have zero desire to act on their own. Nothing matters but getting the next donor check so they can win the next election. Cowards and frauds on both sides up and down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I mean if you seriously think that all his nonsense explanations of what terms in his yearbook and other documents meant, then I guess we can still say we don't know.
    What I think, you think or anyone else thinks doesn't amount to proof. I'm just clarifying the use of the term.