Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Re: Kavanaugh Confirmed...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Not sure I follow, if that wasn't aimed at me...then where did you intend it to land?

I mean if you're pointing out that there are loud entitled close minded jerk-offs on all sides...fine, but I've certainly conceded that point on multiple occasions.

I mean if we are looking for irony. I might point out your own signature:

"Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day. Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish."

I mean, I'm a liberal, I demand my free fish!
    LOL

It's both sides yes. But the example you provided "conservative viewpoints" seems a little one sided.

I wasn't trying to single you out, just the general BS that both sides stir the pot with.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    LOL

It's both sides yes. But the example you provided "conservative viewpoints" seems a little one sided.

I wasn't trying to single you out, just the general BS that both sides stir the pot with.
    Fair enough. I can only go what I am told by people and see as being represented in the big wide world around me.

I'm sure there is no one set of viewpoints and ideals that describes all conservatives. But in general I personally disagree with most of the big party platform kinda things (abortion, tax policy, immigration, etc) and was simply trying to cop to that.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I mean I guess everything exists somewhere.
    Except I only see one side inciting people to confrontation and violence. I only see one side weaponizing a claim of sexual assault for political gain and turning it into a shameful public spectacle. Against the wishes and best interest of the claimant, I might add.

Lots of money that buys lots of speech on both sides. I think everyone needs to realize that there is no one America or no one set of values. Each side can mobilize a great number of people who think just like them. But there is no need to paint the other side as extremist zealots.
    True. I only paint the extremist zealots as extremist zealots. "Free speech is hate speech" "Punch a nazi", etc.

Many of the popular conservative viewpoints about morality, culture, and religion I personally find extreme, outmoded, and repressive.
    Agreed.
    But I don't think that people who agree with them are evil or not worthy of expressing their opinion. Disagreement is fine, but silencing and denigrating people for holding a different viewpoint is too small minded for me.
    I don't see anyone on the right silencing or denigrating anyone. I do, however, see lots of people on the left doing it. Firebombing convention centers, assaulting innocent bystanders with everything from mace to bicycle locks, Hounding people out of public places, forcing speakers to be "disinvited".
    I think most people are horrified by this sort of behavior and even more horrified to see Dem politicians fanning the flames (Hillary Clinton, Maxine Waters, Cory Booker).

Look... I agree that both sides are corrupt and self serving (hence my general opposition to big government), but let's not pretend that both sides are acting the same way or are equally responsible for the current division. There are no conservatives out there beating people down for wearing "I'm with her" hats, no conservatives out there hounding Dems out of restaurants, no conservative politicians out there urging people to accost democrats, no conservatives out there firebombing democratic speaking engagements.
    This behavior is entirely unacceptable and entirely one sided.

My $0.02
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Except I only see one side inciting people to confrontation and violence.
    I suppose that might depend on where someone is looking

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'm looking at 2018. *You* can attempt to use the past to justify present deplorable behavior, but I'm not buyin'.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Except I only see one side inciting people to confrontation and violence. I only see one side weaponizing a claim of sexual assault for political gain and turning it into a shameful public spectacle. Against the wishes and best interest of the claimant, I might add.

True. I only paint the extremist zealots as extremist zealots. "Free speech is hate speech" "Punch a nazi", etc.

Agreed.

I don't see anyone on the right silencing or denigrating anyone. I do, however, see lots of people on the left doing it. Firebombing convention centers, assaulting innocent bystanders with everything from mace to bicycle locks, Hounding people out of public places, forcing speakers to be "disinvited".
    I think most people are horrified by this sort of behavior and even more horrified to see Dem politicians fanning the flames (Hillary Clinton, Maxine Waters, Cory Booker).

Look... I agree that both sides are corrupt and self serving (hence my general opposition to big government), but let's not pretend that both sides are acting the same way or are equally responsible for the current division. There are no conservatives out there beating people down for wearing "I'm with her" hats, no conservatives out there hounding Dems out of restaurants, no conservative politicians out there urging people to accost democrats, no conservatives out there firebombing democratic speaking engagements.
    This behavior is entirely unacceptable and entirely one sided.

My $0.02
    -Slashy
    Honestly, if you truly believe all that then I question where you are getting all your information. I am not debating or denying any of the terrible behavior on the left. But there is a very equal pile of crap on the right. It is in the news or the internet daily.

I mean it was right wing protesters that straight up murdered someone in Virginia. Granted they may not represent the majority of conservative or GOP viewpoints but coddled college students who protest speakers that make them feel icky don't represent all leftists either.

It is was in response to conspiracy theories floated by right wing websites and then whispered about in interviews that a guy drove across multiple states to shoot up a a pizza shop over. Various individuals maced and punched people at Trump ralllies. On both sides. This is very very far from a one sided affair.

In terms of silencing people look at any of the dozens of diatribes against Black Lives Matter protests that do not engage with the view points of the protestors but simply question their right to protest. Or what about the decades long effort to make sure "Gays don't rub our faces in it?". Or calling immigrants criminals, rapists, and animals?

It goes on on both sides without doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

Or we could do a detailed look into a variety of efforts across multiple states to prevent specific classes of people from voting and how only one side of the aisle is banging the table for these laws.

But I suspect no one wants to really get into that.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I'm looking at 2018. *You* can attempt to use the past to justify present deplorable behavior, but I'm not buyin'.

Best,
    -Slashy
    LOL - just saying the claim only one side of the political spectrum does what outrages you is not supported by the facts

Of course the Steelers are undefeated if you just look at last week

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    LOL - just saying the claim only one side of the political spectrum does what outrages you is not supported by the facts

Of course the Steelers are undefeated if you just look at last week
    The claim that one side is doing what outrages me (and a whole lot of others) *at the moment* is completely supported by the facts. And ask around; the righties on this forum will tell you that I've never been shy about calling out the Republicans when they do dirt. The current partisan animosity and craziness... Yes. I blame it on the far left SJW kids, particularly ANTIFA (most ironic name ever) and several dem politicians who are agitating for more of it.

And I totally understand that you don't see it and that's fine.

Best,
    -Slashy

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Here's what I see....... it is the fringes on both sides causing the troubles/problems. I guarantee that I can.... and do get along just fine with most people on the Left. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that those of you on the Left are the same.

"Most" of us lean a little right or left, but we are also more centered than maybe we would like to think. "We" have allowed the fringes to run rampant. It's time to shut them down on both sides. Years ago, that is how it was...... and maybe, maybe not.... better for everyone.

Or we could do a detailed look into a variety of efforts across multiple states to prevent specific classes of people from voting and how only one side of the aisle is banging the table for these laws.

But I suspect no one wants to really get into that.
    I wouldn't mind wading into that subject, but it's a bit far off into the weeds for this thread. If you feel like discussing it in another thread, I'll be happy to oblige you.
    As for the rest of your post (particularly the 'very equal' part), I guarantee you that we could trade examples of political violence over the last 2 years until you run out, and I will be able to go on and on and on until you finally get the point. Seems kinda tedious, tho'.

Best,
    -Slashy

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Here's what I see....... it is the fringes on both sides causing the troubles/problems. I guarantee that I can.... and do get along just fine with most people on the Left. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that those of you on the Left are the same.

"Most" of us lean a little right or left, but we are also more centered than maybe we would like to think. "We" have allowed the fringes to run rampant. It's time to shut them down on both sides. Years ago, that is how it was...... and maybe, maybe not.... better for everyone.
    Well... I kinda live off to the side of the right/ left line, but if you were to extend a perpendicular line from me to "left/ right", then yeah. Somewhere near the middle. But here's the thing: Only the politicians on one side of the aisle are actively calling for more confrontation. I don't mean real or imagined dog whistles, but active "get out there and get in their faces" agitation. I've *got* to call them on that; it's wrong and dangerous.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Well... I kinda live off to the side of the right/ left line, but if you were to extend a perpendicular line from me to "left/ right", then yeah. Somewhere near the middle. But here's the thing: Only the politicians on one side of the aisle are actively calling for more confrontation. I don't mean real or imagined dog whistles, but active "get out there and get in their faces" agitation. I've *got* to call them on that; it's wrong and dangerous.

I absolutely agree with you. I was speaking more about the people/citizens than about the so called elected representatives of said people...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    [/B]
    I absolutely agree with you. I was speaking more about the people/citizens than about the so called elected representatives of said people...lol.
    Right, but the elected 'representatives' are the only ones who can actually control the fringes. There's also the problem of defining who is in the fringe and who's not. People tend to define it wherever it's most convenient for them politically.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Trump voters are a basket of deplorable's and unredeamable's HRC .........
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

The claim that one side is doing what outrages me (and a whole lot of others) *at the moment* is completely supported by the facts. And ask around; the righties on this forum will tell you that I've never been shy about calling out the Republicans when they do dirt. The current partisan animosity and craziness... Yes. I blame it on the far left SJW kids, particularly ANTIFA (most ironic name ever) and several dem politicians who are agitating for more of it.

And I totally understand that you don't see it and that's fine.

Best,
    -Slashy
    Back off from “at the moment” and walk me through how the last decade since I don’t know, maybe birtherism or Congressman Lewis being spat on, is all about only ””the left” doing what outrages you

I am assuming a privileged guy being called out is not what is driving your views on not willing to look past mid-September 2018

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Someone allegedly got spit on?
    Hold my beer.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Back off from “at the moment” and walk me through how the last decade since I don’t know, maybe birtherism or Congressman Lewis being spat on, is all about only ””the left” doing what outrages you

I am assuming a privileged guy being called out is not what is driving your views on not willing to look past mid-September 2018
    And I can match birtherism with "Bush started an illegal war" and "He's war criminal," both of which is patently false. Of course, the other side would counter with "Investigate Clinton at all costs until he's impeached." Yet, the Republicans could again counter with "Investigate Reagan at All Costs - Especially When Trading Arms for Hostages was not Illegal" (which it wasn't, no indictments came from that at all. All the indictments were for small crime type deals dealing with the contras).

What I see as Slashes outrage here, however, is the final and complete politicizing of a Supreme Court appointee, something even Ruth Bader Ginsburg says is wrong and should go back to how it was when Scalia and she were appointed. Personally, I was bothered by "the accusation is enough" argument many on the left were pushing, and this after Pelosi sat on the accusations for weeks while social media was all cleaned up. Then, they get dropped on the stand with too little time to spare, and then demanded the vote get pushed back until a full investigation could happen. Nevermind the fact that we are in an off-cycle election year and had the Democrats had their way, the vote probably would have happened in mid-October, just three or so week from the election. That would have given them just enough time to rally their base and really get a good turnout. However, I wasn't outraged by it.

No, what outraged me, and frankly, pissed me off, was that they then, after using this woman to try and gain political power back in the midterms, they had the temerity to accuse Republicans of not being sensitive to this woman. And, this comes on the heels of being told we had to vote for Clinton or we hated women. Nevermind the fact that Hillary Clinton ran her husband's "Bimbo Explosion Squad" while he was running for office and was one of the primary people responsible for trying to shut up any woman that came out accusing her husband of sexual molestation or using his power as governor to gain sexual advantages over a woman.

I mean, there's always some hypocrisy in politics, but that level of blatant "I'm above you all and my actions don't matter" on one of the very core issues democrats are supposed to support (Feminism) is shake-your-head-and-check-their-meds stupid.

It's really simple if you stop and think about it: The left lost all political power 2 years ago. In response, they became completely unhinged. Prior to that, yeah... plenty of dirt on both sides. But now the nation is the most divided it's ever been since 1968 and this is totally the left's fault. They *think* that prior history justifies their current behavior, but it doesn't.

Best,
    -Slashy

Someone allegedly got spit on?
    Hold my beer.

So Congressman Lewis being spit on is just an assertion of First Amendment rights?

Both Mojouw and I are not contending only "the right" engages in violent and reprehensible behavior. It would not be too difficult to find but I have no interest in finding video of the driver running through the crowd in Charlottesville to play point-counterpoint with your screenshot of Representative Scalise.

It is the contention it is only "the left" that engages in this sort of conduct that has prompted me to continue posting on this point.

- - - Updated - - -

It's really simple if you stop and think about it: The left lost all political power 2 years ago. In response, they became completely unhinged. Prior to that, yeah... plenty of dirt on both sides. But now the nation is the most divided it's ever been since 1968 and this is totally the left's fault. They *think* that prior history justifies their current behavior, but it doesn't.

Best,
    -Slashy
    Sort of like "the right" having a fit after it lost the Presidency and control of Congress from 2008-2010?

As far as it totally being the fault of "the left" for the country being as divided as it has been at any time since 1968 (I agree it as bad as any time since then), I give up.
    Last edited by AtlantaDan; 10-11-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    And I can match birtherism with "Bush started an illegal war" and "He's war criminal," both of which is patently false. Of course, the other side would counter with "Investigate Clinton at all costs until he's impeached." Yet, the Republicans could again counter with "Investigate Reagan at All Costs - Especially When Trading Arms for Hostages was not Illegal" (which it wasn't, no indictments came from that at all. All the indictments were for small crime type deals dealing with the contras).

What I see as Slashes outrage here, however, is the final and complete politicizing of a Supreme Court appointee, something even Ruth Bader Ginsburg says is wrong and should go back to how it was when Scalia and she were appointed. Personally, I was bothered by "the accusation is enough" argument many on the left were pushing, and this after Pelosi sat on the accusations for weeks while social media was all cleaned up. Then, they get dropped on the stand with too little time to spare, and then demanded the vote get pushed back until a full investigation could happen. Nevermind the fact that we are in an off-cycle election year and had the Democrats had their way, the vote probably would have happened in mid-October, just three or so week from the election. That would have given them just enough time to rally their base and really get a good turnout. However, I wasn't outraged by it.

No, what outraged me, and frankly, pissed me off, was that they then, after using this woman to try and gain political power back in the midterms, they had the temerity to accuse Republicans of not being sensitive to this woman. And, this comes on the heels of being told we had to vote for Clinton or we hated women. Nevermind the fact that Hillary Clinton ran her husband's "Bimbo Explosion Squad" while he was running for office and was one of the primary people responsible for trying to shut up any woman that came out accusing her husband of sexual molestation or using his power as governor to gain sexual advantages over a woman.

I mean, there's always some hypocrisy in politics, but that level of blatant "I'm above you all and my actions don't matter" on one of the very core issues democrats are supposed to support (Feminism) is shake-your-head-and-check-their-meds stupid.
    You and I appear to be in agreement that both the Dems and GOP have been playing "hold my beer" with regard to can it get any worse tactics since at least the mid-90s for political disputes other than judicial nominations.

With regard to the final and complete politicizing of Supreme Court and other federal judicial nominations, that process goes back to at least the Robert Bork hearings in 1987, with stops along the way for the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings, both parties engaging in increased use of the filibuster and cloture to block lower court judicial nominations, Merrick Garland not even receiving a hearing, and now the Kavanaugh fiasco

I do not even know what the Dems intended to achieve by their last minute outing of Dr Ford that arguably would have been better executed as a hit job if the addled Senator Feinstein had not failed to even tell the other Dem Senators about Dr Ford until late in the hearing process, other than revving up their base for the midterms through Dr. Ford's testimony just as the GOP has energized its base by Kavanaugh becoming the poster Justice for the excesses of the #MeToo movement. There was another equally conservative GOP nominee certified by the Federalist Society in the pipeline who would have been confirmed no later than a lame duck session after the midterms if Kavanaugh would not have made it

But as far as the complete politicization of the federal judiciary in general and the Supreme Court in particular, that ship sailed before the Kavanaugh hearings, and both parties have hastened it, just as the excesses of both sides have accelerated political acrimony across the board. I am not directing this last comment at you, but blaming only one side for the current situation is nothing more than a partisan talking point.

Sort of like "the right" having a fit after it lost the Presidency and control of Congress from 2008-2010?
    Nope. They didn't react with violence in the streets.

As far as it totally being the fault of "the left" for the country being as divided as it has been at any time since 1968 (I agree it as bad as any time since then), I suppose you are correct if President Trump is on "the left"
    Every evil act is committed by someone who believes he's justified. People on the left are responsible for their own actions. The fact that Trump is President does not justify their behavior.

So we are just going to ignore the protests that hung Obama in effigy?

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

This is the problem with most of these discussions, they always seem to devolve into "whataboutisms". Which is what the politicians want. They certainly can't have us having civil discourse and realizing that they are playing us against each other.
    Last edited by 43Hitman; 10-11-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    This is the problem with most of these discussions, they always seem to devolve into "whataboutisms". Which is what the politicians want. They certainly can't us having civil discourse and realizing that they are playing us against each other.
    This. That’s all there is to say. If we stopped yelling at each other maybe we would finally realize how rigged things really are.

Yup, just like we will ignore mock beheadings and staged assassinations of Trump. We are going to ignore those because they are not political violence. Assaulting innocent bystanders, rioting, smashing windows, setting fires, *that's* violence.

What I find particularly disturbing is the use of violence to shut down free speech. *This* is what I was referring to when I got onto this topic. You said:

But I don't think that people who agree with them are evil or not worthy of expressing their opinion. Disagreement is fine, but silencing and denigrating people for holding a different viewpoint is too small minded for me.
    And I'm telling you that this is precisely what the left has been doing. They literally believe that people who disagree with them are evil. They do denigrate them and they do silence them, with force if necessary, and it happens all the time.
    The right did not do this, even when the Dems had total control of everything. A lefty speaker could give a speech any time anywhere without fear of violent mobs assaulting his audience. He didn't have to worry about whether he'd be disinvited from open debates or speaking events due to public backlash.

This behavior is unacceptable and yes, it is 100% the left that are doing it.

Nope but you should use google and change the name to bush, trump, reagan.

It's not only one side.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nope but you should use google and change the name to bush, trump, reagan.

It's not only one side.
    I never said it was. I’ve repeatedly and forcefully stated it’s both sides.

I guess I live somewhere safe. I’ve yet to be savagely beaten in the street by a roving band of liberal marauders.

This guy says pretty much all I have to say on the matter, and I don't have to type War & Peace.

I guess I live somewhere safe. I’ve yet to be savagely beaten in the street by a roving band of liberal marauders.
    Of course not. You're a lefty. Why would anyone attack you?

This guy says pretty much all I have to say on the matter, and I don't have to type War & Peace.

Of course not. You're a lefty. Why would anyone attack you?
    You can't be serious. Like this is some elaborate bait and switch. I watched the whole video waiting for the inevitable shirtless nunchuck display or at least some sick katana moves.

In case you don't already know, this sweet beautiful gentleman (Styxhexenhammer666) has held the following beliefs:

1. Doesn't have the balls to just deny the Holocaust so he says it was from famine and disease and Zyklon-B was a delousing agent and not a fatal gas.
    2. Has made multiple remarks about some secret or not so secret (it isn't clear) group of Jews running the world. Then when asked about it, denies it.
    3. Appears to harbor some serious issues with Muslims.
    4. Supported Apartheid and branded Nelson Mandela a terrorist.
    5. His views on human origins and evolution are in direct opposition of all the facts and and highly racist. His views on race in general are repulsive.
    6. His rejection of climate change is simply ignorant.
    7. His views on women aren't so great either.
    8. He denies great swaths of mental illness as some sort of made up fantasy we are all indulging in.
    9. The number of complex and odd conspiracies he believes in are eyebrow raising.

Does that mean he can't say his piece on the internet or anywhere else? Of course not! He should be able to shout his views from the roof-tops to anyone who will listen. But this cat is a fairly poor choice to buttress great claims with. As someone way smarter than me once said "Fantastic claims require fantastic evidence". We have the claim that liberals are taking violence to the streets in a manner not seen since the brownshirts invaded the beer halls of Munich. I'm going to need to see more empirical evidence from sources of greater veracity than an admittedly biased alt-right Youtube star.

Because here is an actual news story that says the liberals are being super violent -- http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...718-story.html

Here is another that says much of it could be exaggerated: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed...olent-liberals

Those are accounts of actual things that happened filtered through far less layers of bias than the Youtube dude.