Thread: Good Read on Why Keith Butler Doesn't Have An Answer

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Good Read on Why Keith Butler Doesn't Have An Answer

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ts-sustainable

The plays are all from the Steelers-KC game.

What it walks through is how Reid's offense was specifically designed to break through the exact things that Butler likes to do.

In another thread, people were lamenting the lose of the "gladiator" mentality. This is the other side of it. Some of the loss is through rule changes but some of it is because offenses have stopped trying to just line up and beat you. When the Steelers had Bettis and lined up in a power I, everyone knew what was coming. Who cared if you walked your safety down into the box and declared your coverage and defensive intentions, wasn't gonna change anything. The RB was getting the ball and you were going to have to try and stop it.

Well now, defenses move a safety, like they always have, and the QB and his receivers all are like "oh. cool. they just told us what everyone will be doing on this play. lets throw the ball to the WR in the hole in their coverage behind the CB along the boundary."

I seriously do not think that this staff is clever enough to come up with anything as an answer. they are going to keep doing the same old stuff and will continue to get disastrous results because it is mortally ineffective against offenses now.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Good Read on Why Keith Butler Doesn't Have An Answer

The first TD discussed is the one where Burns looks like he gets burned for the score but really he had to defend 2 guys. Both WRs on the left side of the formation are open. One stayed in the flat while the other ran to the EZ. By the time Burns decides which one to cover it's too late. I don't blame Burns here. Had he been on time with the go receiver, the throw goes to the short and then he easily runs it in for the TD. The article says 4 but you clearly see 3 DBs close in on Kelce. Not sure who the safety was on that side but he had the deep WR responsibility but crashed in on Kelce instead. That TD goes on him instead of Burns, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The first TD discussed is the one where Burns looks like he gets burned for the score but really he had to defend 2 guys. Both WRs on the left side of the formation are open. One stayed in the flat while the other ran to the EZ. By the time Burns decides which one to cover it's too late. I don't blame Burns here. Had he been on time with the go receiver, the throw goes to the short and then he easily runs it in for the TD. The article says 4 but you clearly see 3 DBs close in on Kelce. Not sure who the safety was on that side but he had the deep WR responsibility but crashed in on Kelce instead. That TD goes on him instead of Burns, IMO.
    Yeah it clearly seems to be on the guy who starts the play at about the 10 yard line marker and doesn't end up covering a blessed soul a bit as well. He looks like he thinks about running with the vertical route and then decides to pass it off to Burns or a mystery safety and then decides to crash on the TE and then decides to zone defend a patch of grass - all in about 10 seconds. Ridiculous.

But that's because Butler has ZERO new ideas. None. So his defenders look worse than they are because they are criminally exposed.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

At safety Davis seemed to be improving until about halfway through last season when he simply either was late on every play or disappeared all together. Maybe we need to fix whatever went wrong there and get him back on track. ???

Haden, and Burns play man coverage well. I think Burns gets confused somewhere playing the pass the man style cover/zone. Sensabaugh knows how to play it, just isn't tall/athletic enough. Sutton is sort of in the same category as Davis. Not sure what went off but needs to fix whatever it is. Hilton is still playing well when out there. Edmunds just doesn't know enough yet, give him time.

Not sure why these guys are falling off so far as a unit. There is some talent there, more than what it looks like. I still think we are a safety and a cover corner short but we are getting there. These guys just aren't good enough yet.

The last part of that article is a huge chunk of the problems this defense is having. Against the Chiefs you simply must play man-man and the pass rush must get home. If given time Mahomes will find the open guy and the offense will just march down the field. Other side is if we miss a tackle in man coverage it's a TD. Our guys are not good enough to get consistent pressure on the QB, and make tackles in the open field. Simply put just not good enough...yet.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ts-sustainable

The plays are all from the Steelers-KC game.

What it walks through is how Reid's offense was specifically designed to break through the exact things that Butler likes to do.

In another thread, people were lamenting the lose of the "gladiator" mentality. This is the other side of it. Some of the loss is through rule changes but some of it is because offenses have stopped trying to just line up and beat you. When the Steelers had Bettis and lined up in a power I, everyone knew what was coming. Who cared if you walked your safety down into the box and declared your coverage and defensive intentions, wasn't gonna change anything. The RB was getting the ball and you were going to have to try and stop it.

Well now, defenses move a safety, like they always have, and the QB and his receivers all are like "oh. cool. they just told us what everyone will be doing on this play. lets throw the ball to the WR in the hole in their coverage behind the CB along the boundary."

I seriously do not think that this staff is clever enough to come up with anything as an answer. they are going to keep doing the same old stuff and will continue to get disastrous results because it is mortally ineffective against offenses now.

End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    [/B]

End of story.
    It took me a bit to get there, but I'm on the clean defensive house at the end of the year. These guys would be fine running this scheme if it was 1995 or even 2006, but it's not.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

It took me a bit to get there, but I'm on the clean defensive house at the end of the year. These guys would be fine running this scheme if it was 1995 or even 2006, but it's not.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

2006.... probably about the same year Butler was promised the D Coordinators job. If the Falcons torch him he needs fired ASAP.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

This has been a problem from even before Butler. It was very evident in the last few years of Lebeau. Just the players were still good enough to make up for it until about 2011-12. This is why the Tebow's of the world tear this team apart time and time again these days.

3rd and long is a gimmee for the opposing offense and has been since 2012. I don't pay attention to 3rd and longs anymore because I already know the outcome.

QB's aren't dumb anymore and you aren't going to fool them. It used to be just Brady/Manning/Brees could get the best of Leb-utler, but now anybody can pretty much have their way with this defense. It needed to change 10 years ago, but the talents of the players like the Polamalu's and Harrison's stretched it out as far as it could go.

This is a sit back and take advantage of dumb mistakes defense instead of trying to force mistakes. It is just too bad that even the worst QB's stopped making dumb mistakes a long time ago.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    This has been a problem from even before Butler. It was very evident in the last few years of Lebeau. Just the players were still good enough to make up for it until about 2011-12. This is why the Tebow's of the world tear this team apart time and time again these days.

3rd and long is a gimmee for the opposing offense and has been since 2012. I don't pay attention to 3rd and longs anymore because I already know the outcome.

QB's aren't dumb anymore and you aren't going to fool them. It used to be just Brady/Manning/Brees could get the best of Leb-utler, but now anybody can pretty much have their way with this defense. It needed to change 10 years ago, but the talents of the players like the Polamalu's and Harrison's stretched it out as far as it could go.

This is a sit back and take advantage of dumb mistakes defense instead of trying to force mistakes. It is just too bad that even the worst QB's stopped making dumb mistakes a long time ago.
    Super Bowl XLIII was the effectively the end of the Lebeau Defense when the Cardinals tore it apart. Troy Polamalu was able to mask the deficiencies for a few more years, but not even Troy could hide the Defense from Aaron Rodgers in Super Bowl XLV.

The Leb-utler Defense is obsolete. Contrary to Brett Keisel's whining about No Defense, it has nothing to do with NFL rules, it has a lot to do with Defenses still trotting out the same old shit against evolving Offenses and refusing to adjust.

Member Array title="Blue Marvel is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Contrary to Brett Keisel's whining about No Defense, it has nothing to do with NFL rules, it has a lot to do with Defenses still trotting out the same old shit against evolving Offenses and refusing to adjust.
    In a Nutshell