Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell reportedly plans to report to Steelers during Week 7 bye

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Re: Le'Veon Bell reportedly plans to report to Steelers during Week 7 bye

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Not necessarily. The one advantage the tranny tag gives you in a case like this, is that there is only one offer you have to match. He sees an offer that he thinks is acceptable, and you either match it or you don't - he doesn't go "weeeeeelllll, but actually now, I think I could get more" and it goes into more back-and-forth drama that drags on indefinitely. Like, OK, Leveon, you said there was a price you had in mind, now you HAVE to name it, no more bullshit.

This could be really useful in two cases: 1) Money was not an object and he just wanted to play in a different city (Miami/NY/LA) - well, now that's off the table ... or 2) The offers he gets are substantially less than he expected thanks to his antics, and are no problem for us to match. Also there's the fact that it puts him on a clock - either sign an offer and let us match it or not, or else he's playing on the tranny tag for the year.

Having said that, I find it unlikely we would use this option to try and force a player who hates us to be on the team.
    Tranny tag!!!!!!!
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Half-true. Bell's offer was $35 million guaranteed as long as he was on the roster in March 2019. Which, because of the dead money involved with cutting him, was a 100% certainty regardless of injury. Realistically, the only way he was getting less than $45-50 million guaranteed in the first three years was with another drug suspension in the next 18 months.
    That doesn't make sense. His fully guaranteed money was 10 million, with subsequent bonuses the next two years for availability/non-injury/skill bringing him up to the 30 something million. The problem is, such bonuses are not fully guaranteed. If you trade a player or cut him, they don't get that money and it doesn't go against the cap. If I understand it correctly, then, his cap number next year would have been 2 million in dead money if cut.

What the Steelers offered were easily reached, but that is predicated on Bell not getting injured and not being cut. It's the first he was worried about.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That doesn't make sense. His fully guaranteed money was 10 million, with subsequent bonuses the next two years for availability/non-injury/skill bringing him up to the 30 something million. The problem is, such bonuses are not fully guaranteed. If you trade a player or cut him, they don't get that money and it doesn't go against the cap. If I understand it correctly, then, his cap number next year would have been 2 million in dead money if cut.

What the Steelers offered were easily reached, but that is predicated on Bell not getting injured and not being cut. It's the first he was worried about.
    There is no chance he was getting cut after the first year because of injury. None. He tears both ACLs on the first play of Week 1, he's still on the roster in 2019. If he then goes on to have a bad 2019, he is still on the roster in 2020 because the first year back might have been an aberration and we want to give one more chance to find out his real status. No one is going to write off a huge deal with a star player as quickly as we would've needed to for Bell not to get his money.

The injury argument is bullshit, always has been bullshit, and in fact the only way for him to risk any money due to injury was by rejecting the long-term contract and playing year-to-year. I'm sorry, but if that is really what he was "worried" about, then he is a complete fuckin' idiot and he should feel bad about it. The reason is definitely something else and that is just a poorly devised ruse to save face publicly, and honestly you have to be pretty gullible to believe it, or at least not have thought it all the way through.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Look at the FACTS. The Steelers were correct in their assumptions because once again Bell is not available for a full season. Why take a big risk on a cement head like that?
    All Defense!

There is no chance he was getting cut after the first year because of injury. None. He tears both ACLs on the first play of Week 1, he's still on the roster in 2019. If he then goes on to have a bad 2019, he is still on the roster in 2020 because the first year back might have been an aberration and we want to give one more chance to find out his real status. No one is going to write off a huge deal with a star player as quickly as we would've needed to for Bell not to get his money.

The injury argument is bullshit, always has been bullshit, and in fact the only way for him to risk any money due to injury was by rejecting the long-term contract and playing year-to-year. I'm sorry, but if that is really what he was "worried" about, then he is a complete fuckin' idiot and he should feel bad about it. The reason is definitely something else and that is just a poorly devised ruse to save face publicly, and honestly you have to be pretty gullible to believe it, or at least not have thought it all the way through.
    Injury argument? Just ask Shazier. One injury and he's done. I know, we hope. But the chances of him ever playing again is minimal. The only reason he's being paid this season is because it was fully guaranteed. How about Tommy Maddox? One injury to the elbow and someone steps up and takes his place, and he's done after the following year. When your guarantees are performance based, that is a scary proposition. Let's say Bell does get injured but is kept a second year. That's 20 something million. Still ten to fifteen million short of what others are getting. And, that is if he is able to earn those bonuses just by being on the roster. Does he get the workout bonuses if he can't workout in OTAs? Probably not. Does he get the bonuses for availability in games if he's injured (if it was structured that way), no. We see players get injured all the time. We also see them come back and not be half as good as what they could have been. Sean Spence? His knee injury screwed his career over. Kendall Simmons? His diabetes (which was at least partially caused by the weight he had to carry to play football) took him from a very good Guard to a mediocre one in just one year 200. Then, he suffers an Achilles tendon tear and is released in 2009.

Look, I know. It is difficult for any of us to fathom turning down that much money because we make a pittance of that. However, do you really think a team as cap-smart as the Steelers would make such a strange contract if it was absolutely guaranteed, all the while knowing that by doing so, it would make Bell unhappy? Of course not. There's a reason they built the contract that way, and it's because they could get out of a lot of dead money by not paying Bell if something drastic happened, and that's the exact thing Bell wanted insurance against. Do I blame the Steelers? No. it's business and they have to split all the money under the cap by 52 people. However, by the same token I'm not going to blame Bell for trying to uphold his part of the business and getting more guaranteed money for himself than 10 million dollars. ESPECIALLY when the tag is a guaranteed fourteen million. That makes logical sense. (Him holding out based on that argument is a stupid move, but that's a different discussion).

Let me ask it this way. Would you be willing to drop the same amount of money for Earl Thomas next season now as you would have before last weekend? Any answer other than "No" is either not being honest or being foolhardy. Of course you wouldn't, and neither would I. Why? Because injury causes deterioration in play, often times even when healed. And when your pay is based on such things . . .

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    No one will ever accuse him of being brilliant. That's for sure. Even saying in my post below that one move makes logical sense, my guess is he lucked his way into it.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I know what Jack Lambert would say about the situation. His comments would talk about teamwork and individual achievement. The money would flow naturally along with the championships. I don't know any team that would spend big $ on a spoiled kid who thinks he is the center of the universe and could care less about his teammates. Plus he has a history of not being available and has a big mouth too.

Yeah, that's the guy I want to bring into the locker room who is going to add to my organization. I don't think so... or else he would have been traded already. He is not worth the headaches and no one player is bigger than the entire team. Steelers are going to wait him out and make an example, that's the only way they get their team back.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I know what Jack Lambert would say about the situation. His comments would talk about teamwork and individual achievement. The money would flow naturally along with the championships. I don't know any team that would spend big $ on a spoiled kid who thinks he is the center of the universe and could care less about his teammates. Plus he has a history of not being available and has a big mouth too.

Yeah, that's the guy I want to bring into the locker room who is going to add to my organization. I don't think so... or else he would have been traded already. He is not worth the headaches and no one player is bigger than the entire team. Steelers are going to wait him out and make an example, that's the only way they get their team back.
    How long was Lambert's hold out again?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I know what Jack Lambert would say about the situation. His comments would talk about teamwork and individual achievement. The money would flow naturally along with the championships.
    Presumably except for the time Lambert held out in preseason in 1977 and his agent said pay him or trade him

While the rest of the team attempted to go through preseason with their focus on playing football, there was a different game being played out behind the scenes. When Joe Greene was named the defensive team captain to replace Andy Russell, the agent of Jack Lambert said the player felt hurt. “Jack is taking this very personally now,” said Greg Lustig, Lambert’s attorney, claiming Noll and linebacker coach Woody Widenhofer phoned Lambert before the start of training camp to offer Lambert the position of captain if he came to camp.

“Unfortunately, Jack really wanted the captain’s job,” continued Lustig. “He considered it a tremendous honor. It was very important to him, but he was insulted when they tried to use it as a wedge. He took it as a cheap shot.”

Dan Rooney suggested the player’s agent, Bucky Woy, wasn’t doing a very good job of running the publicity campaign from Dallas, adding he couldn’t didn’t think the agent could do a good job of running the football from there either.

“Our position is that we want Jack back,” offered Rooney. “We think he’s a Rooney. I didn’t hear anything new in their statement that I didn’t hear in the past. I’m still very hopeful we will get him back. A lot of guys who have been out of other camps are coming in.”

Woy insisted Lambert wouldn’t play until his demands were met. “There’s nothing to negotiate,” he said. “They can pay him or trade him.”....

With the contract negotiations with Jack Lambert and his agent Bucky Woy still at stalemate, Dan Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he thought the player and Woy were confused as to what a legitimate offer was.
    “I’ll never say I can’t afford a player because, oh, we are in a small stadium, or this is Pittsburgh and not New York,” Rooney added. “But the game can’t afford the sort of escalation of salary they want.”

http://www.steelersuk.com/history/se...0part%202.html

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Let me ask it this way. Would you be willing to drop the same amount of money for Earl Thomas next season now as you would have before last weekend? Any answer other than "No" is either not being honest or being foolhardy. Of course you wouldn't, and neither would I. Why? Because injury causes deterioration in play, often times even when healed. And when your pay is based on such things . . .
    Being 100% honest, I doubt the injury affects Earl Thomas' next contract one bit. It's a fractured leg, for god's sake. People are freaking out like it's a ruptured Achilles tendon or a broken neck. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come off the 8-week IR list and play a couple of games at the end of this season, just to prove to other teams in the market that his health is unaffected. There's also a not-insignificant chance the Seahawks franchise him next year, in which case the entire bird-flipping argument about his long-term value on the open market was just a bunch of noise over nothing.

The only injuries that realistically affect next year's contract for a DB (or RB) are blown-out knees. That's it. Everything else is irrelevant, unless you count the freak accidents that happen to one guy every 10 years - but those are also irrelevant from a business standpoint, because of the aforementioned frequency. For other positions it might be a different type of injury that is the killer, but same idea. We're talking about the risk of a catastrophic injury, not any injury at all. Thomas' injury is neither catastrophic nor career-altering.

Mathematical projection after mathematical projection shows that the way to maximize the amount of money you earn playing NFL football in franchise-tag situations or non-guaranteed contracts is to show up and play, and collect every penny you can betting that you will stay healthy, because the odds of career-altering injury are far outweighed by the cash in hand. It has nothing to do with the mere fan not being able to comprehend the financial part of it because it is so much more than we make in a year and we are dazzled by any multimillion-dollar amount. It is straight mathematics.

By the way, the Bell contract offer would have been $33 million over the first two years (which became guaranteed the first day of the 2019 offseason, as in 5-6 months from now) and $45 million over three. That's a lot different from $20 million over two, and pretty much in line with other contracts. All he had to do was not get another idiot suspension.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

No one will ever accuse him of being brilliant. That's for sure. Even saying in my post below that one move makes logical sense, my guess is he lucked his way into it.
    Agreed there is no danger of Bell winning the smartest Steeler award

Excerpts from Bouchette's P-G story this afternoon on nobody with the Steelers having heard from prodigal son Bell regarding his alleged plan to return in a few weeks

He has talked to no one in the front office, none of the coaches, and teammates say he has not talked to them recently either. “It stinks,” one teammate said.

Coaches who have tried to contact him through texts and other means have heard nothing in return from Bell....

Sounds like Ramon Foster is over Bell

“No reaction,” Foster said. “Man, we have a lot of stuff in house we have to deal with more than anything. If he shows up, that’ll be awesome, if he chooses to come later, that’s cool too. Our job right now is to win these games that are in front of us until he does.

“We’ll see how it goes when he gets here. He’ll be our teammate. We’ll see what his thinking is, ask him more questions, I guess. We can’t look ahead to that.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201810030202

By the way, the Bell contract offer would have been $33 million over the first two years (which became guaranteed the first day of the 2019 offseason, as in 5-6 months from now) and $45 million over three. That's a lot different from $20 million over two, and pretty much in line with other contracts. All he had to do was not get another idiot suspension.
    I've looked for any kind of details for this, and can't find them. Can you link me to your sources? The only ones I could find talked about a guaranteed 10 mill and the "rolling guarantees" that aren't full guarantees but based on both performance and availability.

I've looked for any kind of details for this, and can't find them. Can you link me to your sources? The only ones I could find talked about a guaranteed 10 mill and the "rolling guarantees" that aren't full guarantees but based on both performance and availability.
    Some say "around" $30 million over the first two years, some say the $33 million which apparently seems to all come from the same Ian Rapoport tweet, so who knows if that can be considered exact or not ... still, the point is the same, which is that barring a meteor landing on his head, he was going to get a minimum of $30-something million and almost certainly $45 million.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/...dline-contract
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-the-steelers/

Sure, he can put out the argument that the "rolling guarantee" and roster bonuses are not technically the same as "guaranteed," but basically all he would have to do is show up and then it becomes extremely unlikely that he doesn't collect on all of that.

I mean, besides all I was talking about where even if he got injured, he's almost certain to not be cut - how many $10-million-plus contracts do we NOT restructure right away to get cap space? I can't think of a single one. That by itself pretty much locks everyone in for the first three years minimum and makes a cut in the fourth year an extremely painful bargain. That's probably because we tend to only give out those contracts to players we are counting on for a long time in the first place. You would think that would've told Bell something - but no, I think it's just that he didn't want to be here for his own reasons, many of which have nothing to do with injury and many more of which have nothing to do with football at all.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I hope the Steelers go on a win streak and Conner gets multiple 100+ yard games, that would be the best message to Bell. Seems the more the Steelers struggle the bigger Bell's ego gets.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    How long was Lambert's hold out again?
    Bell needs to put his nose to the grindstone, run hard, and leave the distractions (like weed) alone... you know, like Bam Morris.

With no disclosure of the actual contract proposal, this linked article with excerpts below that attempted to reconstruct the proposal, based upon the sketchy reporting from Ian Rapoport (who has never been hesitant to go public with less than fully accurate information to draw page hits), was the most detailed breakdown I have read that seems credible

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There’s nothing out there written in stone what the deal was and at this point there’s no point in debating it.

Hopefully Bell shows, he’s going to have to give 110% or his hold out was for nothing and hopefully the front office figures out how to fix the defense before it’s too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There’s nothing out there written in stone what the deal was and at this point there’s no point in debating it.

Hopefully Bell shows, he’s going to have to give 110% or his hold out was for nothing and hopefully the front office figures out how to fix the defense before it’s too late.
    Based upon the latest reporting that nobody on the Steelers has heard from Bell regarding his alleged plan to return and that some of his teammates once again sound none too pleased with his ongoing conduct I am coming around to the view the Steelers trade him for whatever they can get for him to a team outside the AFC if he ever signs the tag

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Le'Veon Bell reportedly plans to report to Steelers during Week 7 bye, wants to play in 2018

The running back is planning on coming back to Pittsburgh in Week 7

by Will Brinson

The Le'Veon Bell drama hit a high note on Sunday night as the Steelers stumbled through an ugly home loss against the Ravens in prime time, just a few hours after Earl Thomas, another notable holdout, suffered a season-ending injury. It was hard not to see why Bell was staying away.

But he won't be away for much longer: according to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, Bell is planning to return to the Steelers in Week 7 to report for duty.

Additionally, Fowler reports that Bell "definitely plans to play football for the Steelers this season."

Will the Steelers be willing to take him back?

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-play-in-2018/
    One piece that really sticks out to me from the article is 8 scoreless quarters plus 1 OT period. 4 games = 16 quarters in which 8 were scoreless by this offense. THIS OFFENSE! Against the juggernaut defenses of the Browns, Chiefs, and Buccs, I'll give respect to Suggs and co. What is missing you ask? We'll find out for sure come week 8 but I feel it could be Bell.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bell needs to put his nose to the grindstone, run hard, and leave the distractions (like weed) alone... you know, like Bam Morris.

Or he can really up his game, and become the next Nate Newton!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Or he can really up his game, and become the next Nate Newton!
    50 pounds to go
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

50 pounds to go

Or a van full of weed!!

…….and then a trunk load of weed!!!

Newton said he stood to make $75K per drug deal

May 13, 2005
    • Associated Press

DALLAS -- Former Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman
    Nate Newton says his competitive nature led him into the drug business.

"I've always been competitive, I've always been in sports,"
    said Newton, a six-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman who retired
    after the 2000 season. "I couldn't see myself not being the
    biggest dope man."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2059715

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Le'Veon Bell reportedly plans to report to Steelers during Week 7 bye

So if the rumors are true about the Eagles having interest in Bell, the Steelers pretty much have them over the barrel right now with how crappy Philadelphia is doing record-wise and need just breaking that Ajayi is out for the year with a torn ACL. I’d take no less than a second round player and Jordan Hicks for him.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So if the rumors are true about the Eagles having interest in Bell, the Steelers pretty much have them over the barrel right now with how crappy Philadelphia is doing record-wise and need just breaking that Ajayi is out for the year with a torn ACL. I’d take no less than a second round player and Jordan Hicks for him.
    Beat me to it!

I suspect they won't give up player from their defense right now, as that has been Philly's problem(or at least one of them).

I say take a spread of draft picks over the next 2 seasons.

Then turn around and pry a defender away from someone else.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Eagles have two 2nd round picks in 2019.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

A trade with the Eagles makes a ton of sense for both teams. They have a huge need at RB. Watching Smallwood play and knowing that there is a chance for Bell to be on that roster has to be exciting for a team that needs a jolt. He would be a huuuuuuge upgrade from what they have and would fit that offense perfectly IMO.

Let's hope this happens.

Philly ain't South Beach or L.A., so he'd be a 10-game rental for them, hands-down.

Still, if there's any team for whom a 10-game rental could possibly make sense, it'd be the Eagles. Win another championship and it's worth any amount of draft picks.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Are there any links that give validity to this rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Are there any links that give validity to this rumor?

This is from 5 days ago: https://insidetheiggles.com/2018/10/...t-leveon-bell/

And this one: https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelph...ted-122711076/